Antti Niemi?

geebo117

With us apparently looking for a new keeper for next season could we see a return of niemi? if fulham get relegated. i know he always said he would love to come back to hearts. its obviously not a long term fix but i would love to see him back for a season or two.

With us apparently looking for a new keeper for next season could we see a return of niemi? if fulham get relegated. i know he always said he would love to come back to hearts. its obviously not a long term fix but i would love to see him back for a season or two.

Absolutely nae chance he'd come back mate. He is far too good for us, and all the crap that comes with playing for Hearts.

He did say he'd come back one day but I doubt we will be able to afford his wages. Especially now that we are cutting the wage bill.

Sure he said he wanted to come back to bring his kids up and put them thru school in Edinburgh... that was many moons ago tho.

Jambojohnnyboy

I'd love to see him back between the sticks but the simple truth he's out of our budget now plus I agree with previous posters, I would hate to see him put through the **** that the squad go through at the moment.

Nelly Terraces

Just backing up what other have said so far, would love to see it, but a combo of his wages, and the current Lithumaniac regime make it highly unlikey we'd see the return of the flying Finn.

Smoked-Glass

He is about 35 now so coming to the end of his career.

We had him in his peak though and he was my favourite player.

Niemi: Bonifide Hearts legend and a seemingly all-round good guy.

I quite literally love Antti Niemi.

Would have him back in a flash regardless of his age, but my head tells me it will never happen. Nice thought though.

I think if he did come back and there was any meddling or putting him through the mill as with what is (has) allegedly happened at Tynie it would be the straw that broke the camel's back as like Craig Gordon he is one of those players who has always acted with dignity and been a genuine servant of the club. In both cases we got great performances and benifitted financially too.

Yes, Vlad et al would be ill advised to **** with him...

Had achat with him in the airport on the way back from Stuttgart. Top bloke.

Would have him back in a second but doubt it will happen.

Him and jamie McD battling it out would be ideal.

Bye bye Basso

Dagger Is Back
I don't know if i'd want one of my heroes to be subjected to the current regime.

Totally agree. I would hate to see him being shafted by our new regime. Bad enough that they do it to the current crop withoput real heroes suffering too.

Totally agree. I would hate to see him being shafted by our new regime. Bad enough that they do it to the current crop withoput real heroes suffering too.

He was probably my favouite goalie out of the ones I saw often, but I would not say he was a hero quite yet

no just coming back from injury....

Ijured a lot now.He must be the most injury prone goalie around now(sadly).

He still has his house in Edinburgh.

I loved the interview he did a while back when the reporter referred to him as an ex-Ranger which he quickly corrected that he was an ex-Hearts player.

Legend

Fourcandles
I think he's Finnished.......

I've got an Auntie who doesn't like Niemmi.

I've often said "Auntie dont be Anti Annti"

:)

Niemi has probably a season left in him if not 2.

A nice wee offer of player/coach to help out Banks wouldnt go a miss. If he fancies coaching, it would be good start point for him

He still has his house in Edinburgh.

I loved the interview he did a while back when the reporter referred to him as an ex-Ranger which he quickly corrected that he was an ex-Hearts player.

Legend

:cool:

Snake Plissken

I think my avatar would give some insight into how I would feel about Niemi coming back.

:)

Does he not bank roll a club back in Finland (Turku?) with a view to doing what Henrik Larsson did when he finishes playing in the UK?

Absolutely brilliant if he came back. But I'm not sure he would no.

Great guy to have around. And he can pass his wisdom onto Jamie Mac.

Ray Winstone
Absolutely brilliant if he came back. But I'm not sure he would no.

Great guy to have around. And he can pass his wisdom onto Jamie Mac.

His inFINNate wisdome?

Would love to see him back at Hearts - cant see it happening though.

His inFINNate wisdome?

Would love to see him back at Hearts - cant see it happening though.

The coat racks that way>

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Niemi back would be great, if only for old time's sake. He's the absolute opposite of a Vlad signing though - no sell-on value (can't argue with that) and would also be extremely popular with the fans (no more heroes, remember?).

PS - controversial but I thought he was better than Gordon (always did) and, in my lifetime, is the only player I've seen at Hearts who was world-class at the time he played for us.

Does he not bank roll a club back in Finland (Turku?) with a view to doing what Henrik Larsson did when he finishes playing in the UK?

Yup, and he hired mixu the hibby to manage his team for him!

I remember that. Brilliant!

One of my favourite ever HMFC players.

Commander Harris
He always said he'd love to come back one day.

I believed him.

so did I. :)

Niemi back would be great, if only for old time's sake. He's the absolute opposite of a Vlad signing though - no sell-on value (can't argue with that) and would also be extremely popular with the fans (no more heroes, remember?).

PS - controversial but I thought he was better than Gordon (always did) and, in my lifetime, is the only player I've seen at Hearts who was world-class at the time he played for us.

I dont think that is contreversial at all. CG was a great keeper for us and at his age can only get better but Niemi was at his peak when he played for us and I agree that he was world class.

the jambo poet

I have to admit I did like Niemi too...however like Gordon he was a top stopper but would never and I mean never come for a cross...even now if you watch him down south he still doesnt come for crossballs.

Unfortunately, memories of Niemi are always tinged wi a certain 6 goal humpin across the way....

Commander Harris

that worked for Niemi though - if the defence knows that the keeper isn't coming then they ca deal with it. It's when there is a level of indecision that things start getting complicated.

I loved it when he was on Question of Sport and there was a question about Hearts and you saw Niemi punch the air and smile! LEGEND

portobellojambo1
He always said he'd love to come back one day.

I believed him.

I am not convinced it would be a good move, in relation to building a team for the future, to go for Niemi as first team keeper. I think there must be a younger, yet experienced, keeper out there who we could attract to Tynecastle which would make more sense to me.

If Niemi is someone who is quite happy to continue living in the UK post retirement he is the sort of person I would love to see as a future goalkeeping coach, given his nature, experience and the fact Craig Gordon said he learned more from him than any other person.

Archived