Removing info from a goosed lap top... HELP!

Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

i have asked this before and never got round to it, My laptop is knackered but i would like to retrieve info from the hard drive, can someone tell me what i need to buy to do this.

Also my kanckered laptop has 512mb memory(2 x 256) can i remove this and put in my new laptop, is it as easy as just putting in the slots? do i need software etc???

excuse my lack of knowledge, i havent got a clue about computers!!! :sad:

Destruction Derby

sounds like someone has got naughty videos on his computer and does not want to lose them !

You could go to PC world and buy a 3.5" drive carrier. This will allow you to remove your HD and connect to another PC and extract the files as if your old HD was a back-up drive.

Also buy a back-up unit and back-up your data regularly. It really is so much easier....

Stewart MacD

Given that the Merriam-Webster definition of "goosing" is "to poke between the buttocks with an upward thrust", what will you tell the repair person?

Walter Bishop
sounds like someone has got naughty videos on his computer and does not want to lose them !

I wish!! Unfortunately its only photos over 600!!! Holidays,birthdays and christmases!!!!Hopefully i can get them back!!!

i have asked this before and never got round to it, My laptop is knackered but i would like to retrieve info from the hard drive, can someone tell me what i need to buy to do this.

Also my kanckered laptop has 512mb memory(2 x 256) can i remove this and put in my new laptop, is it as easy as just putting in the slots? do i need software etc???

excuse my lack of knowledge, i havent got a clue about computers!!! :sad:

Happened to me a few years ago. Six month old laptop. Hard drive packed in. Tried a hard drive recovery place but they could save it. Lost tonnes of photos and scripts. I'll never ever buy a sony again. Stupid *****.

Speaking of laptops,anyone know where in Edinburgh thats fixes the DC socket....3 times the one in my laptop has come loose and this time its started smoking...the guy that sorted it before said he cant do it this time and said to get in touch with techno mart....Im looking to see if i can find somewhere local first before sending it off:sad:

If this disk is goosed, it may be tough. However, if it's just the Operating System, you may be okay. If the disk has previously been partitioned, you can install a new OP onto another partition and boot up this way and retrieve the data. However, you need to know what you're doing as you'd also need to amend the boot.ini file.

:(

Brian Whittaker's Tache

There's places you can take the HDD that'll get info of even the most fecked disc.

Not cheap mind at about ?1/Mb for a disc thats really cream crackered

Speaking of laptops,anyone know where in Edinburgh thats fixes the DC socket....3 times the one in my laptop has come loose and this time its started smoking...the guy that sorted it before said he cant do it this time and said to get in touch with techno mart....Im looking to see if i can find somewhere local first before sending it off:sad:

From a professional POV, you're laptops beyond permanent repair, the solder is only good for a short while as the heat from the mainboard will weaken it. IF you have decent contents insurance I recommend explaining to them how it was dropped from a desk when you were doing some work and get the engineer to write it off ;)

Brian Whittaker's Tache
IF you have decent contents insurance I recommend explaining to them how it was dropped from a desk when you were doing some work and get the engineer to write it off ;)

Check your insurance cover first. A lot of policies don't cover laptop drops as I found out a couple of years ago.

You could go to PC world and buy a 3.5" drive carrier. This will allow you to remove your HD and connect to another PC and extract the files as if your old HD was a back-up drive.

Also buy a back-up unit and back-up your data regularly. It really is so much easier....

A laptop would be a 2.5" enclosure

From a professional POV, you're laptops beyond permanent repair, the solder is only good for a short while as the heat from the mainboard will weaken it. IF you have decent contents insurance I recommend explaining to them how it was dropped from a desk when you were doing some work and get the engineer to write it off ;)

thanks for the advice,,Im going to get myself a new laptop over the weekend now lol...I would get the broken fixed up for the kids but It doesnt seem worth it now,then can stick to using the pc

Archived