Condolences threads - rules of engagement

wibble

Open to discussion, but IMO condolences threads on JKB should be reserved for those with a Hearts connection or those who have played a SIGNIFICANT role in football in general.

In the past we have had condolences threads for players who died on the pitch in foreign countries, English players mums etc.etc.

I feel it devalues any respect shown for a Hearts person if we fall over ourselves to bemoan the death of a person that none of us has any connection to whatsoever.

How can anyone be genuine in offering respects to people they have no knowledge of whatsoever. For all you know everyone around that person might be delighted that they are gone because they were an evil old hag or a drug addicted molester.

Respects should be shown when there is a good chance that the family and friends of the said person are likely to see the tributes. I don't think Frank Lampard is logging onto JKB to see how gutted we are about his mum.

Well said. The majority of them are totally empty exercises in who can be first to say "RIP".

I sympathise towards Frank Lampard, but I'm certainly not grieving.

Commander Harris

thank you! this is the place for such a discussion. :)

I can't see a problem with a condolence thread being started for anyone that a poster on KB might feel it appropriate for, if it's football related then it goes in the terrace, if it's not football related then it goes in the Shed.

If the person involved is of no significance to the majority of kb'ers then the thread would soon drop off the page anyway, barring discussion such as this which would be off-topic on such a thread anyway IMO.

when in the extremely sad occassion that someone directly linked to hearts dies the response is usually so overwhelming as to keep the thread high on the board due to the amount of people who wish to pay their respects, or where appropriate the thread is made a sticky.

so, to summarise - such threads should be self-regulating/limitting if people who have no interest in expressing their condolense just do the sensible thing and let the thread drop down the board.

That goes for all threads on KB too!

there seems to be a trend that if someone posts something a bit ill-advised or foolish to absolutely rip them for doing so, where ignoring the thread and just letting it die would be the sensible option. especially as I've seen quite a few such threads just turn into slanging matches.

If you think somethings stupid and a waste of time, instead of having a pop at the poster why not ignore it and let the thread run its natural course.

sorry, I know I'm straying off-topic but I think it's relevant.

I decided to edit the thread about the death of Frank Lampard's mother to separate the discussion about condolence threads from the posts expressing condolences.

I did that because I felt that the issue should be discussed by members. But I also have another take on the "rules of engagement" for condolence threads. Regardless of why they are started or what people think of them, once they are started they should not be taken off topic. If someone starts a thread with the intention of paying respect to the dead, let people pay their respects if they wish. Any other discussion should take place somewhere else - i.e. on another thread.

Ryan Gosling

For those wishing to express condolences, but can't find the words, here is a handy guide.

:-

RIP

Sad news :(

My thoughts are with the family.

Never knew him/her/them but heard he/she/they was/were (a) good person/people

Puts football into perspective (use this - no one else does)

I know he/she/they will be looking up/down and smiling.

Terrible news

Will add more if I can.

:(

Commander Harris

I think my point is illustrated by the fact the "condolences to frank lampard" thread now only has 9 replies and is almost off the first page, and it probably wouldn't have been active that long had there not been for the other discussion keeping it high on the board.

these things are self regulating if people don't post off-topic comments on them and just ignore them, even if they do think such threads are pointless - which they may well be!

Drew Busby !
For those wishing to express condolences, but can't find the words, here is a handy guide.

:-

RIP

Sad news :(

My thoughts are with the family.

Never knew him/her/them but heard he/she/they was/were (a) good person/people

Puts football into perspective (use this - no one else does)

I know he/she/they will be looking up/down and smiling.

Terrible news

Will add more if I can.

:(

Taken far too young.

Why is it always the good guys ?

Gone to a better place.

They broke the mould when...

One in a million...

Good fecking riddance.

PS. I remember the absurdity of some of this when Di copped it. Amongst the flowers and cards ... were countless eedjits who had addressed the sentiments directly to the deceased. "To Diana ... so so sorry to hear of your sad loss, with much love, Mildred" :confused: I'm sure she appreciated it though, "up there beside the angels". :laugh:

Open to discussion, but IMO condolences threads on JKB should be reserved for those with a Hearts connection or those who have played a SIGNIFICANT role in football in general.

In the past we have had condolences threads for players who died on the pitch in foreign countries, English players mums etc.etc.

I feel it devalues any respect shown for a Hearts person if we fall over ourselves to bemoan the death of a person that none of us has any connection to whatsoever.

How can anyone be genuine in offering respects to people they have no knowledge of whatsoever. For all you know everyone around that person might be delighted that they are gone because they were an evil old hag or a drug addicted molester.

Respects should be shown when there is a good chance that the family and friends of the said person are likely to see the tributes. I don't think Frank Lampard is logging onto JKB to see how gutted we are about his mum.

Agreed.

Whilst not wishing for people to stop caring, I can only echo your comments re cheapening our reaction to losing one of our own.

Doctor FinnBarr

Its down to the "Princess Di syndrome", people like to grieve for someone they don,t know because it makes them look compassionate! Maybe its a bird puller!

:confused:

Stewart MacD

I blame the Sloane Ranger Spencer tart. Started the whole thing. Sponsored by the Florists League of England

Guest S.U.S.S.

Some kickbackers are professional mourners.

Totally sickening the way they puor they sympathy out to try and outdo whoever came before.

Get a life.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I think the folk falling over themselves to slag the 'proffesional mourners' are just as pathetic as the mourners.

Always seems to be the same folk as well. Boring. :)

I P Knightley
Some kickbackers are professional mourners.

Totally sickening the way they puor they sympathy out to try and outdo whoever came before.

Get a life.

I think it suits them better when there's a death.

Chad Sexington

I am a grief monkey.

My heart goes out to all dead, dying, soon to be dying, quite ill and might be dying soon, peoples relatives at this most difficult of times.

:cry_smile:

Archived