Clean underwear

Boof

I remember, as a youngster, being told to 'make sure you've got clean underpants on in case you get run over'.

Notwithstanding the state my drawers would've been in if I ever had got knocked down, do any parents still say that these days?

I've got three boys and can't recall ever saying it to any of them, other than in a jokey, sarcastic way.

yvonnejambo
I remember, as a youngster, being told to 'make sure you've got clean underpants on in case you get run over'.

Notwithstanding the state my drawers would've been in if I ever had got knocked down, do any parents still say that these days?

I've got three boys and can't recall ever saying it to any of them, other than in a jokey, sarcastic way.

Yes my mum said things along those lines when I was wee and havent tried that line on my son, but the vital question here surely is what made you think of starting a thread on it :eek::)

davemclaren
Yes my mum said things along those lines when I was wee and havent tried that line on my son, but the vital question here surely is what made you think of starting a thread on it :eek::)

He's going commando at present and worries a lot.... ;)

Just sitting comtemplating strange things parents said and realised I'd never used that one.

I haven't used 'because I say so' either :D

I used to get told that as well...

I can see it now smashed by a bus, in a bad way, first thing the fit young nurse (this is my imagination) does is pull doon ma boxers and check for skids....

no skids = treatment

Skids = left to die.

I used to get told that as well...

I can see it now smashed by a bus, in a bad way, first thing the fit young nurse (this is my imagination) does is pull doon ma boxers and check for skids....

no skids = treatment

Skids = left to die.

:laugh:

Another one was "Put on your coat or you'll catch your death!".

Cheers, ma. It's not as if I'm looking for my death in the first place. In fact, if my death came towards me I don't think I'd try to catch it; I think I'd probably try to avoid it.

yeah i remember being told all those things

another one i remember is getting a slap or smack and then being told "you asked for that"

at no point did i go up to either parent and say can you hit me please

Cheers, ma. It's not as if I'm looking for my death in the first place. In fact, if my death came towards me I don't think I'd try to catch it; I think I'd probably try to avoid it.

hahaha you should have said even with my coat on I'll still catch it with these spanking grim reaper catching gloves I bought especially for the task... i cant wait to have kids (I can) just to tell them funny reponses to there ma's poor chat.

My personal favourite was "stop crying or I'll give you something to cry about".

So, my big bro' battering me to within an inch of my life (exageration for dramatic effect) isn't reason enough to cry when you're, like, 5?:sad:

Mums favourite when we were wee was on going to bed if we happened to mention we were hungry, she would give us a big lecture on how you can't eat in bed especially jam sandwiches............ there was once a wee girl who had jam sandwiches in bed and the mice ate half of her face off as she had jam stuck to it.

Would never ever tell my kids that one......... I believed that for many a year...........still dont eat jam sandwiches in bed tho.....

The other one which always causes a laugh between my brother and I is about swans and never to go too near them as they attack peoples throats....... she told us that when we were really wee and I've never been keen on swans my whole life. Parents eh can you see it......Attack of the killers swans in the Queens park this weekend!!!

chester copperpot
Mums favourite when we were wee was on going to bed if we happened to mention we were hungry, she would give us a big lecture on how you can't eat in bed especially jam sandwiches............ there was once a wee girl who had jam sandwiches in bed and the mice ate half of her face off as she had jam stuck to it.

Would never ever tell my kids that one......... I believed that for many a year...........still dont eat jam sandwiches in bed tho.....

The other one which always causes a laugh between my brother and I is about swans and never to go too near them as they attack peoples throats....... she told us that when we were really wee and I've never been keen on swans my whole life. Parents eh can you see it......Attack of the killers swans in the Queens park this weekend!!!

Our mum was always smacked off her tits, no wonder she came out with such ridiculous statements.

Walter Bishop

We were just talking about this at a wee family get together the other week,

my mum came out with some crackers when we were wee,

If we ever told a wee lie, we`d get hit with this one,

"Do you think i came up the clyde in a banana boat" WTF?

or

"Do you think i was born yesterday" doh!!

What about if you were making a face and got told.

"your face will stay like that if the wind changes!!!"

auldbauldfan

"I'll teach you to be cheeky!"

No need, as the skelp on the lug suggests that I already know how to be cheeky.

"Trying to teach your granny how to suck eggs"

WTF is that supposed to mean...

I never knew granny was a champion egg sooker.

Our mum was always smacked off her tits, no wonder she came out with such ridiculous statements.

lol i was taking a drink of water and the keyboard and screen on the laptop is now soaking thats a cracker.

Another one was stop laughing or i will make you laugh on the other side of your face????? WTF

Nah she just was always fond of sandwiches and scones eh;););) 'specially the ones she puts on her fee t oh yeah and freggs!!!

used to get told to wear clean under wear incase you got knocked down.if ya seen a 26 bus heading towards you.your going to **** yourself anyway

Ray Winstone

My favourite bit of parenting is when they "grounded" you but after a couple of hours you were back out in the street playing because you had annoyed them so much while indoors!

Used to give them hell if they tried to keep me from playing football!

Favourite saying would have to be "If you sit too close to the TV your eyes will go square"

Jamie_the_Jambo
My favourite bit of parenting is when they "grounded" you but after a couple of hours you were back out in the street playing because you had annoyed them so much while indoors!

Used to give them hell if they tried to keep me from playing football!

Favourite saying would have to be "If you sit too close to the TV your eyes will go square"

Oh no, Im ill.

Thought for a moment my ma had got pc and became a member of kickback, can hear her now with every one of those sayings :)

Dusk_Till_Dawn

To be frank, if the No. 81 bus about to mangle you, the first thing you'd do is probably **** yourself. So you're fecked either way.

Heres Rixxy

:laugh::rofl: I think I just woke up everyone in my hostel room trying to contain my laughter!!

rudi must stay

never heard that one. Was told by my parents the Ice Cream man was the Fish man, so i never bought anything. Still can't believe i fell for that one

Pete Seeger
never heard that one. Was told by my parents the Ice Cream man was the Fish man, so i never bought anything. Still can't believe i fell for that one

We got stung with that one too :o

Another one we always got was "Eat it, before it eats you" When we were struggling with our tea.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Billy Connolly does a great story on this.

Talking about the clean underwear he says the surgeon takes you to one side and says "ok, we're operating but i have to say Mr Connolly, his pants were a complete disgrace"

Also - 'have ye had enough'? when getting skelped. No - i suppose a kick in the testicles is out of the question!

We used to get the square eyes one as well. Along with the carrots making you see in the dark and if you eat your crusts your hair will go curly.

Dix Handley

When i was wee laddie(4 or 5ish). Ran away from home convinced that

my parents were evil incarnate,set on this earth to restrict or inhibit all possible avenues of childish pleasure. Made it all the way to my grans

friends house with the express intention of never ever darkening the

familys door again..grans friend got me some juice then phoned my ma

in the next room. Returned a minute or so later and said "that was yer

mum on the phone, she says to get home quick cos shes got some

ice cream in the oven". Shoulda seen me go...:embarassed:

I got the "this will hurt your more than it will hurt me" or "I will show you the back of my hand"

My mum used to say "because I said so" alot

Cant mind who said? sure my dad told me, that this child was told that when the ice cream van bells made the tune it meant he was out of ice cream. thought that was funny

Archived