Internet speeds

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

I was connecting to my wireless router with a 54Mbps adapter for ages. I just bought a 108Mbps one, installed it, connected with it and expected a difference. When I hover over the icon in the quicklaunch tray it still says my speed is 54Mbps. Is there an obvious reason for this? Have I c0cked it up?

That only the speed of your home network, not your internet connection.

Networks are always limited by the slowest point. Your internet connection is probably 8Mbps or something like that, so any traffic to or from the internet will never be faster than that, no matter how fast your router is.

Also, the same applies to the network adapter in your PC. If it's only capable of 54Mbps, traffic between your router and PC will never be faster than that.

So you will be on about 6MB/8MB internet connection.

As said before if you want faster internet then you need to pay more to get the faster package. We are with Virgin just now and every so often they update the speed for free. We started at 8MB a couple of years ago and from the updates we are on 20MB now.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Thanks for the info guys. I'll try and get onto my ISP for free upgrades!

You may also have to change the settings within your wirelass router, i had to do that with my netgear router

Archived