Jam - Fridge or Cupboard?

Ray Winstone

Ray Winstone

Opening this up for debate as I have always kept it in a cupboard but flatmates this year insist it goes in the fridge.

Having spoken to a Jam 'expert' he says cupboard as when you put things in the fridge they start to use their flavour!

But my pleas have fallen on deaf ears.

What does everyone on KB do?

Nucky Thompson

I keep it in the cupboard untill I open it, then it goes in the fridge.

Cupboard, a jar never lasts more than a week, so it's not going off.

Incidentally the best jam in the world is made on Cyrenians Farm, near Wilkieston. Their raspberry jam is amaaaazin'

blondejamtart

Cupboard - jam is a preserve - the original purpose was to preserve the fruit, before fridges were even invented! All this nonsense about putting everything iin the fridge is ridiculous. When I was a kid, if you opened a jar of jam and there was mould on the top, you just scraped it off and carried on as normal - same with cheese, cut off the mouldy bit and eat it anyway. And do you know what - it never did us any harm!

Cupboard, a jar never lasts more than a week, so it's not going off.

Incidentally the best jam in the world is made on Cyrenians Farm, near Wilkieston. Their raspberry jam is amaaaazin'

Some braw folk work at the Cyrenians Doctor. :confused:

Ray Winstone
Cupboard - jam is a preserve - the original purpose was to preserve the fruit, before fridges were even invented! All this nonsense about putting everything iin the fridge is ridiculous. When I was a kid, if you opened a jar of jam and there was mould on the top, you just scraped it off and carried on as normal - same with cheese, cut off the mouldy bit and eat it anyway. And do you know what - it never did us any harm!

Agreed.

Cheese was made as far back as the times of the Vikings - when they would preserve their milk supplies by churning it and producing cheese which they kept for months!

chester copperpot

Ditto, very very sensible.

Some braw folk work at the Cyrenians Doctor. :confused:

Work or reside?

The staff I know, sound as you like.

The residents....

;)

Jambojohnnyboy

Depends on if you like it fridge cold I guess but cupboard for me.Right next to the lemon curd!

Ray Winstone
Depends on if you like it fridge cold I guess but cupboard for me.Right next to the lemon curd!

Lemon Curd is truely boak - worthy!

blondejamtart

I'm not a huge jam fan, to be honest - it's got to be home made (same with marmalade), but home-made lemon curd is lovely! Once had lime curd, which was also very good indeed - in fact, my mouth's watering at the prospect! :)

Nucky Thompson
Ditto, very very sensible.
We don't want to be agreeing twice in one night, you being a hatkicker and me a vladsheep;)

Ray Winstone
Cupboard... but fridge when its been opened.... Now as for Mayo thats in the fridge all the time!

http://scotsport.podbean.com

Thats because Mayo has egg and dairy products in it - which would turn quickly if not in the fridge.

Jam keeps - even once you have opened it - honest!

Jambof3tornado

Jam spreads better when the jar is kept in the cupboard,so thats where it should stay!!!

Never mind jam and lemon curd what about golden syrup!!!!:P

chester copperpot
We don't want to be agreeing twice in one night, you being a hatkicker and me a vladsheep;)

:laugh:

I put it in the fridge

John just leaves it lying at his erse:cool:

And the Jam;);););)

me personaly dont eat the stuff think its horrible and should be banished for ever

Stewart MacD

You only need to put it in the fridge after opening, as per the advice on the label.

Correct:thumb:

Same applies to broon sauce - i keep it in the cupboard, misses puts it in the fridge!

Yeah keep brown and tomato sauce in the cupboard:)

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Cupboard right beside the butter.

Butter ALWAYS goes in the Fridge young man.

:evilno:

Ray Winstone
Yeah keep brown and tomato sauce in the cupboard:)

Now thats a definite cupboard!

Who wants to make their food cold by putting sauce on it!

Madness!

Anyway to those who put it in the fridge - 'jam expert' says you shouldnt because it loses flavour! He says it should be in a cupboard!

Blaccurant Jam is the shizzle.

Blackcurrant jam is the beez 'n eez! My favourite jam by a mile! We just have a new import shop opened nearby, and guess what? it has chivers blackcurrant jam! Yeeha!

We keep jam in the cupboard over here, from October-May. It goes in the fridge the rest of the year. It would go off in an hour if we kept it in a cupboard, as it so hot in the summer over here!

Lynn:ninja:

Archived