Under 20's playing Clyde in the cup at Tynie today

bighusref

We're winning.

1-0 McHattie deflected shot, Clyde had a penalty saved by Hamilton.

Isn't Twitter great? :)

I think a certain number of games have to be played at Tynecastle not sure whether that applies to the league too.

Probably as some way to give experience to the youngsters of actually playing in a stadium or something...

Just a guess. :mellow:

Heart of Midlothian ?@JamTarts

Hearts U20s team v Clyde: Hamilton; Mullen, Keegan, McKay, McHattie; A. King, Holt, Tapping, Oliver; Nicholson, B. King.

Subs: Millar, Walker, Scott, Thomson, Gordon

MacDonald Jardine

Why is it being played at Tynecastle and the league games at Newtongrange?

Are all the cup games not played at Tynecastle?

Think in general we play all our cup games at Tynie. Same applies with derbies or games vs Celtic or the club formerly known as Rangers in the league. Imagine this would just be as a precautionary measure, incase a larger crowd wish to come and watch. A game like today for example, would probably attract a few more punters than your average U20 game.

mc hattie and brad mckay for hearts

both teams have missed pens or should i say have had penalties saved. mckay with the miss for hearts

mc hattie and brad mckay for hearts

both teams have missed pens or should i say have had penalties saved. mckay with the miss for hearts

Billy King missed the Hearts pen not McKay

Fao those that watch the 20's, is it unusual that Walker only merited a spot on the bench today?

Seems to have gone from being lauded as new Temps to second string for the second string pretty quickly. Thought he might have been knocking on door by now esp with Driver and Arvy far from setting heather on fire (til yesterday).

May be reading too much into it but also detect a notable change in his twitter chat. Today's immediate post match tweet being 'hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmm decisions' which may or may not have been John shelvey related.

Strange sort of game today. Started scappily, then Hearts started to create half chances after 15 mins or so. Their keeper made a couple of decent stops from B King and Holt and a couple of other good efforts were blocked

For some reason Hearts resorted to a long ball game for much of the half. I can only assume that DM asked then to play the ball over the top because the Clyde defence was holding a high line.

Just before the break, Callum Tapping conceded their penalty with a pretty stupid challenge. However, Hamilton made a good stop with his legs. Hearts went up the park and won a corner that the Clyde defence failed to clear. The ball fell to Kevin McHattie whose shot was defected into the top corner.

Hearts pretty well dominated the second half and had a number of decent effforts at goal, but found their keeper in good form. With just three mins left Clyde scored with what was about their only attack of the half when a break down the left was squared into the box for one of their subs to side-foot home. Clyde may have thought that they had done enough to force extra time, but Brad McKay scored with a looping header from a Fraser Mullen corner in the final minute of stoppage time.

Hearts deserved the win but weren't particularly impressive. There were some odd positional changes late on as Michael Thomson ended up out on the right wing and Jason Holt finished the game player as the striker. MOTM was Kevin McHattie who didn't put a foot wrong throughout.

Fao those that watch the 20's, is it unusual that Walker only merited a spot on the bench today?

Seems to have gone from being lauded as new Temps to second string for the second string pretty quickly. Thought he might have been knocking on door by now esp with Driver and Arvy far from setting heather on fire (til yesterday).

May be reading too much into it but also detect a notable change in his twitter chat. Today's immediate post match tweet being 'hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmm decisions' which may or may not have been John shelvey related.

I don't know what is wrong with Jamie Walker this season. He just hasn't performed to the standard he was playing with Raith towards the end of last season. Needs to get his head right and knuckle down to some hard work.

tartofmidlothian

I don't know what is wrong with Jamie Walker this season. He just hasn't performed to the standard he was playing with Raith towards the end of last season. Needs to get his head right and knuckle down to some hard work.

Do you reckon he might come good, or could he be potentially out on his arse? Is it that bad?

Thanks for the report Footballfirst, as always much appreciated.

Re Walker hopefully enough senior pro's around to keep the lad focused and won't be long before he is back in the reckoning.

tartofmidlothian

MOTM was Kevin McHattie who didn't put a foot wrong throughout.

What's your opinion of him since he got that run in the first team, FF? At the time I thought he seemed like a good solid player for back-up or an extended run if Grainger's out, maybe a kind of Robbie Neilsen or a Jason Thomson on the opposite side. Does he look better than that?

What's your opinion of him since he got that run in the first team, FF? At the time I thought he seemed like a good solid player for back-up or an extended run if Grainger's out, maybe a kind of Robbie Neilsen or a Jason Thomson on the opposite side. Does he look better than that?

I think he still has great potential. He has played the last couple of U20 games at centre back and been Hearts best player in both. I think he loses concentraion at times at full back, but thus far at centre back he seems to be much more focussed and involved in the game. I expect he will continue for the moment as deputy to Grainger, but I don't see Grainger as an immoveable fixture in the side.

It's interesting how the different players have reacted to their "elevation" to the first team squad. McHattie seems to have come back to the U20s and applied himself positively. Walker seems to have done the opposite. Holt has been so-so with some good spells but sometimes drifting in and out of games. Carrick has continued to put in the hard graft, but doesn't seem to get much reward for it. Dave Smith was fairly quiet, but has chosen to go back out on loan rather than play U20 football with Hearts.

jamboinglasgow

One player that really impressed me today was Callum Tapping, thought he had a great game played a more attacking role then he did last season and it paid off with so many chances created through him.

Why is it being played at Tynecastle and the league games at Newtongrange?

Better standard of Bovril was the reason I heard. :ninja:

I think he still has great potential. He has played the last couple of U20 games at centre back and been Hearts best player in both. I think he loses concentraion at times at full back, but thus far at centre back he seems to be much more focussed and involved in the game. I expect he will continue for the moment as deputy to Grainger, but I don't see Grainger as an immoveable fixture in the side.

It's interesting how the different players have reacted to their "elevation" to the first team squad. McHattie seems to have come back to the U20s and applied himself positively. Walker seems to have done the opposite. Holt has been so-so with some good spells but sometimes drifting in and out of games. Carrick has continued to put in the hard graft, but doesn't seem to get much reward for it. Dave Smith was fairly quiet, but has chosen to go back out on loan rather than play U20 football with Hearts.

I think both Walker and Holt probably had expectations of first team football this season and are struggling to motivate themselves for under 20 football. It would a huge waste if Walker doesn't kick on after his successful loan spell at Raith last season.

tartofmidlothian

Cheers! :thumbsup:

I think both Walker and Holt probably had expectations of first team football this season and are struggling to motivate themselves for under 20 football. It would a huge waste if Walker doesn't kick on after his successful loan spell at Raith last season.

That seems a little unfair on Holt who I thought was good today. He was always looking to get involved and despite having a Clyde player (and often two) in close attention he was always looking to keep the ball moving and find a team-mate with a pass.

Overall I thought Hearts were good value for their win. They really should have been out of sight in the second half such were the chances they created. All they lacked was a cutting edge which the players on duty for the first team yesterday might have provided under different circumstances.

Agree that McHattie was the MOTM.

Dr Ian Malcolm

All cup games are played at the team's primary stadium. The move to U20s means a certain number of league games will be played at Tynie, but previously all league games were at Riccarton.

What is Dooglie up to these days?

Seems to have disappeared... :unsure:

He does the indoor bowls, does he not? He is really a Hun fan anyway, from what I have heard.

The draw for the third round of the Scottish FA Youth Cup was made at Hampden Park today by Scottish FA president Campbell Ogilvie.

The results of the draw are as follows:

1. Heart of Midlothian v Celtic :whistling:

2. Hibernian v Fort William :down:

3. Annan Athletic v Montrose

4. Edinburgh City v Partick Thistle

5. Gala Fairydean v Kilmarnock

6. Queen of the South v Hamilton Academical

7. Stenhousemuir v St Mirren

8. Cowdenbeath v Airdrie United

9. Arbroath v Aberdeen

10. Queens Park v Rangers

11. Ross County v Dunfermline Athletic

12. Livingston v Formartine United

13. Dundee United v Greenock Morton

14. Ayr United v East Fife or Motherwell

15. Raith Rovers v Falkirk

16. Fraserburgh v Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Ties to be played Sunday, 21st October 2012.

We don't seem to get much luck when it comes to unseeded draws in this competition, second v first from last season's U19 league.

The draw for the third round of the Scottish FA Youth Cup was made at Hampden Park today by Scottish FA president Campbell Ogilvie.

The results of the draw are as follows:

1. Heart of Midlothian v Celtic :whistling:

2. Hibernian v Fort William :down:

3. Annan Athletic v Montrose

4. Edinburgh City v Partick Thistle

5. Gala Fairydean v Kilmarnock

6. Queen of the South v Hamilton Academical

7. Stenhousemuir v St Mirren

8. Cowdenbeath v Airdrie United

9. Arbroath v Aberdeen

10. Queens Park v Rangers

11. Ross County v Dunfermline Athletic

12. Livingston v Formartine United

13. Dundee United v Greenock Morton

14. Ayr United v East Fife or Motherwell

15. Raith Rovers v Falkirk

16. Fraserburgh v Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Ties to be played Sunday, 21st October 2012.

We don't seem to get much luck when it comes to unseeded draws in this competition, second v first from last season's U19 league.

Ouch, sore one.

Least its being played at Tynie, hopefully in front of a big crowd.

Archived