The Byrds

Buffalo Bill

Buffalo Bill

Does anybody like the Byrds, Man?

Byrds.jpg

I have their greatest hits in the car just now. Some beautiful stuff. A bit like the Beatles, but sang with Califor-ni-a accents.

My Tambourine Man, Feel a whole lot better, Turn Turn Turn. Gene Clark, died in 1991 aged just 46.

The best song for me though is 'I'm coming Back'; very haunting. I might play this at my funeral.

The Byrds: discuss.

Buffalo Bill

Love them,

Love Mr Spacemen, 8 miles high.

Much more than just a Dylan cover band that they are falsely accused of being.

Have a wee soft spot for Mr Tambourine man as it was no1 when my mammy & daddy started "going out"

Walter Kidd

Made a career out of putting jangly guitars over other people's songs. Good tunes though. Reminds me of the Wonder Years.

There's a live album called "Untitled" which is worth searching out. The version I bought had an extra CD with other stuff on it, including alternative versions. Well worth a listen!

Buffalo Bill
Made a career out of putting jangly guitars over other people's songs. Good tunes though. Reminds me of the Wonder Years.

That's the nail on the head, Walter Old Chap.

They took the words of Dylan and gave them the sound of The Beatles.

Nice easy formula for 1965.

Of course they moved on a bit after that. Band changes; changes to their sound such as 'space-rock' and 'country'. Mcguire still kicking about, I see.

Buffalo Bill

The Byrds are quite possibly the most underrated band to come out of the 1960's, especially in this country.

They are quite simply phenomenal.

The Notorious Byrds Brothers and Younger Than Yesterday are perhaps my favourite albums - the Chris Hillman penned Thoughts & Words off the latter a great song, but also Artificial Energy & Draft Morning off the former superb too.

BB - Going Back. Great tune done well by the Byrds but You Tube it and check out the Dusty Springfield version.

Re the band line ups - David Crosby was an egotistical bum (as well as a cracking musician) so he split at Monterray to form CSN+Y after consorting with The Buffalo Springfield.

Nucky Thompson

I didn't really know who they were untill I watched Forest Gump and heard their song 'Turn Turn Turn' in the soundtrack. I love that song.

Buffalo Bill
The Byrds are quite possibly the most underrated band to come out of the 1960's, especially in this country.

The Notorious Byrds Brothers and Younger Than Yesterday are perhaps my favourite albums - the Chris Hillman penned Thoughts & Words off the latter a great song, but also Artificial Energy & Draft Morning off the former superb too.

BB - Going Back. Great tune done well by the Byrds but You Tube it and check out the Dusty Springfield version.

Re the band line ups - David Crosby was an egotistical bum (as well as a cracking musician) so he split at Monterray to form CSN+Y after consorting with The Buffalo Springfield.

A 'Crosby' tween Charles Bronson and My Name is Earl.

david-crosby-sized.jpg

Will check out the Springfield link mate.

Buffalo Bill

davemclaren
A 'Crosby' tween Charles Bronson and My Name is Earl.

david-crosby-sized.jpg

Will check out the Springfield link mate.

Buffalo Bill

Springfield?

This is heading towards Neil Young. :cool_shades_

There's a sensational Crosby song on my mega-expanded legacy ultimate bonus-tracked copy of Younger Than Yesterday - I'm away to find out what it is.

There's a sensational Crosby song on my mega-expanded legacy ultimate bonus-tracked copy of Younger Than Yesterday - I'm away to find out what it is.

Would that be "Lady Friend"? It's a belter.

Would that be "Lady Friend"? It's a belter.

I like that. But the one I'm thinking of is "It Happens Each Day" (first bonus track on the expanded CD), which is quite simply one of the most beautiful melodies I've ever heard.

I think Younger Than Yesterday is their best album. Still some semblance of togetherness.

I like that. But the one I'm thinking of is "It Happens Each Day" (first bonus track on the expanded CD), which is quite simply one of the most beautiful melodies I've ever heard.

I think Younger Than Yesterday is their best album. Still some semblance of togetherness.

Ah yes.

I think I agree that YTY is their best.

I like 'em a lot. Harmonies were wonderful. Some ropey albums though. That said, 'Sweetheart Of The Rodeo' is a big favourite of mine, being a bit of a Gram-head. As for other solo-Byrd stuff, Gene Clark's 'No Other' is a great album.

I like 'em a lot. Harmonies were wonderful. Some ropey albums though. That said, 'Sweetheart Of The Rodeo' is a big favourite of mine, being a bit of a Gram-head. As for other solo-Byrd stuff, Gene Clark's 'No Other' is a great album.

SotR - A good choice sir.

Jaap's Sigh

That is a class album. The first track (Life's Greatest Fool) is a great song. I didn't know that he died so young. Think someone mentioned earlier in this thread that he died in his forties. Shame.:sad:

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

They murdered "My Back Pages" but I still like them.

Like "All I really Wanna do"

Great band.

chester copperpot

Haha, just what I was thinking, though you need to give them some respect for what they made, they did some good stuff.

FWIW, I preferred the Eagles.

Nelly Terraces
Haha, just what I was thinking, though you need to give them some respect for what they made, they did some good stuff.

FWIW, I preferred the Eagles.

You poor barsteward. When did they take your ears away?

When did they take your ears away?

When he asked them to, which was just after he heard Greaseful Queasy Feeling. :eek:

Nelly Terraces

Spot on there my Marxist chum! YTY is a fabby lp. They had everything you want in band, they morphed from one type of band to another, both in terms of musical output, and band membership. Suppose with McGuinn as the only 'ever present' you could say they were his band really. I'm a sucker for their early stuff, 8 Miles High etc, I just love that type of music really.

Oh, and 5th Dimension was their coolest cover. They look the nuts on that magic carpet! Eyeing up my copy as we speak.

Cheers. Must check that Dusty track on ya tube, cheers for the tip off Boris:). Tuning into Mr Matthews this Saturday?

N.

chester copperpot
You poor barsteward. When did they take your ears away?

GIRUY.

I love easy listening man, unless its mid 90's indie, then that is my forte.

Hotel California is a classic, but I can appreciate that nuggets like yourself ;) only like stuff that hurts yer ears.

Nelly Terraces
GIRUY.

I love easy listening man, unless its mid 90's indie, then that is my forte.

Hotel California is a classic, but I can appreciate that nuggets like yourself ;) only like stuff that hurts yer ears.

You must be permo, to listen to that aural *****!:biggrin:

Nighty night children of the jam.

NT

chester copperpot
You must be permo, to listen to that aural *****!:biggrin:

Nighty night children of the jam.

NT

Haha, ok. Enjoy bursting yer eardrums to stuff we disagree with. I'm off to bed with a rather nice tune chosen by Joy Division tonight.

Hope you approve father NT. ;)

Have loved the Byrds for as many years as I have loved Motorhead, The Damned and The Ramones. Quality stuff.

Other great sounds of the era that you should check out include:

Grateful Dead: American Beauty (one of the best albums ever)

Byrds related gear:

Crosby Stills Nash & Young: Four way street

Other ageing hippy classics:

Country Joe and the Fish (political, drug induced, part songs)

Canned Heat (great blues based hippy rock)

Love n Peace to all brothers and sisters......man.

Cheers. Must check that Dusty track on ya tube, cheers for the tip off Boris:). Tuning into Mr Matthews this Saturday?

N.

Indeed I shall.

Young Boris Jnr wouldn't have it any other way.

I may even pop along to Tynie later on in the afternoon!

I have read some nonsense on here, but the idea of te Eagles being better than the Byrds may be the best yet.

Without the Byrds there wouldn't have been any Eagles. Fact.

Buffalo Bill

Some good 'tips' on here.

Will see if I can sample on Youtube.

byrds65_ed_c.jpg

Buffalo Bill

And no-one has mentioned Gram Parsons? :rolleyes:

I did! I love Gram unconditionally. He was the reason that I bought 'Sweetheart...' Pity he was such a dick. Still, the first two Flying Burrito Bros albums are great too. Now, that was who The Eagles really ripped off.

"I hate the *****in' Eagles, man" - The Dude

Amen to that.

Archived