Under 20s

bigman1

Just wondering if anyone knew the 20s score from this mornings game against Musselburgh?

Musselburgh won 1-0 mate

McGlynn must have told Darren Murray to play the player out of position lol

Footballfirst

I didn't post anything on this earlier as I've been out most of the day.

It was actually a decent performance from the youngsters. They were the better team by a fair bit, particularly in the first half, although the second half was a bit more even. Musselburgh had their keeper to thank for ending up with a cleen sheet as he made a string of great saves from Sam Nicholson, Connor Duthie and Callum Tapping in particular. By contrast, Hearts trialist keeper had to make maybe just a couple of saves. The home side scored midway through the first half.

Tapping was excellent for Hearts in the first half, but sat too deep just in front of the back four in the second. Dave Smith was probably the most effective player in the second period.

Hearts fielded a makeshift defence due to injuries and lined up as follows:

Coll

L Smith, A King, Keegan, Ford (McMillan)

Duthie, G Scott (Beith), Tapping, D Smith, Nicholson

Oliver (Buchanan)

Injury update: Jordan McGhee will be out for six to eight weeks after it was confirmed that he had torn a muscle in his side off the (hip?) bone. Fraser Mullen will be out for two or three weeks with a medial ligament strain in his knee. Billy King did the warm up along with the team but didn't play any part in the game so he is not too far away. I'm unsure of the status of Brad McKay's foot injury.

It was actually a decent performance from the youngsters. They were the better team by a fair bit, particularly in the first half, although the second half was a bit more even. Musselburgh had their keeper to thank for ending up with a cleen sheet as he made a string of great saves from Sam Nicholson, Connor Duthie and Callum Tapping in particular. By contrast, Hearts trialist keeper had to make maybe just a couple of saves. The home side scored midway through the first half.

Tapping was excellent for Hearts in the first half, but sat too deep just in front of the back four in the second. Dave Smith was probably the most effective player in the second period.

Coll

Oliver (Buchanan)

Injury update: Jordan McGhee will be out for six to eight weeks after it was confirmed that he had torn a muscle in his side off the (hip?) bone. Fraser Mullen will be out for two or three weeks with a medial ligament strain in his knee. Billy King did the warm up along with the team but didn't play any part in the game so he is not too far away. I'm unsure of the status of Brad McKay's foot injury.

Billy twisted his knee against dalkeith thistle injuring his medial ligaments he was at the aberdeen game for the warm up 10 days ago don't know when he will be back but injury was not as bad as first feared for last seasons top goalscorer

Coll

Oliver (Buchanan)

FF - I notice from the line up that a few 17s were playing again. How did they perform ? Is there any reason for playing them so often or is it just a case of early season exposure ?

Coll

Oliver (Buchanan)

Trialist Keeper, is it Joe Coll, previously of Man Utd?

Footballfirst

FF - I notice from the line up that a few 17s were playing again. How did they perform ? Is there any reason for playing them so often or is it just a case of early season exposure ?

The youngsters did fine and will slowly adjust to the pace and physicality of the game.

They have been playing for various reasons, mainly a "needs must" with McKay, Mullen and King injured and various others being with the 1st team, but also for their own development. There seems to have been a decision made to keep three XIs going this season, 1st team, Reserves and U20 with the latter's strength being compromised. If Hearts had fielded their strongest U20 side they would have won in a canter.

The affect was also felt down the line yesterday, with a young U17s side losing 4-3 to Stenny, although the younger sides won comfortably.

Trialist Keeper, is it Joe Coll, previously of Man Utd?

Yes - Did ok - A couple of good saves. Had one misjudgement when he came out to make a clearance and the forward beat him to the ball.

Archived