Trendy Beers to Drink Up Town

CostaJambo

I was in Edinburgh for a few days over the week-end and we ended ujp drinking a beer which I remember everybody was drinking for spell when I was in my prime 'up town' years from about 85 to 90. Are there still trendy beers which everyone drinks for a while before moving on to the next one and if so what are/were they in your day?

P.S. The beer we were drinking was Red Stripe. Still my all time favourite beer.

they have draught red stripe in carters on morrison street.

i can't be arsed any more with the likes of stella, peroni and kronembourg. favourites at the moment would be kirin ichiban or sagres. they used to have sagres on draught in cuba norte but the gaff shut down.

John McClure

I have a mate whos a ******* bellend with his trendy continental lagers. When its my round he wants Staropramen or Kronenbourg, or some bottled european shit, ken, dear stuff, when its his round, its back to Tennants or Carling. Prick :down:

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

I don't decide on what beer to drink based upon it being seen as 'trendy'.

If you drink a beer deliberately to be seen as 'trendy' or 'cool', then you're trying too hard.

Drink beer you like. Nothing else should matter.

I was in Edinburgh for a few days over the week-end and we ended ujp drinking a beer which I remember everybody was drinking for spell when I was in my prime 'up town' years from about 85 to 90. Are there still trendy beers which everyone drinks for a while before moving on to the next one and if so what are/were they in your day?

P.S. The beer we were drinking was Red Stripe. Still my all time favourite beer.

A can of Red Stripe is fantastic.

Angry Haggis

A can of Red Stripe is fantastic.

Had a few pints of 'Buckin Fastard' in the Diggers last night. Not to be trendy of course.

It was shotaly tite.

Cairneyhill Jambo

Schlitz lager. There's a pub near the bus station in Perth that still has the sign outside though I doubt they still sell it.

I miss Gillespies Stout that was brewed in Edinburgh. It was a cracking pint, and you got it in cans too.

I've always preferred continental lagers to the shite we've got to deal with normally. Personal favourite is any of Amstel / Heineken / Stella.

However, I've grown quite fond of bottles of Desperado which I suppose 'could' be considered trendy (if you conveniently ignore it's ability to put you flat on your arse) ;)

I have a mate whos a ******* bellend with his trendy continental lagers. When its my round he wants Staropramen or Kronenbourg, or some bottled european shit, ken, dear stuff, when its his round, its back to Tennants or Carling. Prick :down:

Why not return the favour when it's his round? He'll soon learn.

I've always preferred continental lagers to the shite we've got to deal with normally. Personal favourite is any of Amstel / Heineken / Stella.

However, I've grown quite fond of bottles of Desperado which I suppose 'could' be considered trendy (if you conveniently ignore it's ability to put you flat on your arse) ;)

Desperado is the bomb. Always my tipple if the place I'm in has it.

Expensive pretension sold for ?6 a pint in the Brewdog bar.

duckandcover

Haha! What a bellend, a guy I was in company with after the game on Sunday was drinking pints till I offered him a drink, he got a double morgans and coke! Back on topic I would say a trendy beer would be a bottle of Budvar or Peroni. When attending house parties I now take a crate of Kopenhagen. It's a premium lager from Carlsberg, really nice and in a cool bottle that looks like a minature bottle of wine.

really nice and in a cool bottle that looks like a minature bottle of wine.

Sorry, but just pissed myself laughing at that.

My dad used to bring crates of red stripe home in the 70's when he worked near the US Naval Base in Dunoon,

My dad used to bring crates of red stripe home in the 70's when he worked near the US Naval Base in Dunoon,

Only time I've ever drank red stripe was about 10 years ago a bus load of us went to cream in Liverpool and they charged 3 quid a can! Robbing scouse cant's

Prince Buaben

Red Stripe gives me horrendous hangovers.

:sob:

i do have 8 cans in the fridge

Can of Red Stripe is always the drink of choice in Dianes Pool Hall when we're fed up with pints / bottles.

Red stripe is incredible.

I've got some Asahi in the fridge.

Tyskie is good too.

ALL about Paulaner.

Governor Tarkin

My favourite tipple in Citrus :beer:

Sunk a whoor of red stripe in that very venue on Saturday night. Have the bruises to prove it :'(

was in the City Cafe last Sat.and had a pint of (I think)Blue Moon American craft beer that was served with a slice of Orange.Very nice it woz.

Gillespies mid nineties had a massive revival..

Lovely stuff. I done the "gillespies pub crawl".. you got your card stamped in every pub you had a pint and after 15-20 pints got a t shirt from whereever you were.

I also found my local safeways (now morrisons to you young pups..) were doing gillespies for 20p a can. 20 fecking p a can!.. bought 2 crates for under a tenner.. I win.

There was also a huge push on smooth lagers int he mid nineties..

Guinness Enigma and Tennents SD.. Feck Me. utterly lethal stuff.

Enigma (Not round, not lager!) came in an octagonal can.. Silver and was the Mutts... really tasty stuff..

Tennents SD was available in my local (Da Vincis hotel and Bar in Livi when it looked more like someones front room before they turned it into a microwave oven..)...

I swear SD fuc**ed my tits right in... All I remember is bouncing off of every slat in every garden fence on the path from the pub to my house..

Both blew my utter tits off.

How I miss the mid nineties!

Brothers cider seems to be a 'cool' thing to drink right now

I'd say Rekorderlig is more up there for the Ciders.

When I first say the thread title I thought of Desperados. Probably due to having a bottle tonight, although The Chanter had ran out of lime so it tasted pretty bad.

I'd say Rekorderlig is more up there for the Ciders.

When I first say the thread title I thought of Desperados. Probably due to having a bottle tonight, although The Chanter had ran out of lime so it tasted pretty bad.

I've taken to Magners Pear Cider after trying it at the Foodie Festival. Cracking stuff & the bottle is bigger than any other :thumbsup: . Stella Cidre is magic aswell.

It's now only half 9 on a Friday morning & I want to start drinking.

:silviodamn::sob:

I P Knightley

I know someone who's like that - all flash and 'knowledgeable' on his lagers.

He's still not cottoned on to the fact that when I buy him one of his expensive, "trendy" lagers (often a Peroni), he's actually getting a pint of Carling that the bar staff have kindly poured into a Peroni glass. Clueless knob.

I know someone who's like that - all flash and 'knowledgeable' on his lagers.

He's still not cottoned on to the fact that when I buy him one of his expensive, "trendy" lagers (often a Peroni), he's actually getting a pint of Carling that the bar staff have kindly poured into a Peroni glass. Clueless knob.

Ha ha thats brilliant :lol:

A few years back Hoegaarden used to be quite a trendy beer. Not sure if many places still sell it. I never tried it as it was too expesive.

Peroni is often the most expensive pint. It's a really good for a first drink of the night.

After that you can crack on the tennents

At the movement, I like Tiger or St Mungos in draught. Bottle beer, I like Innes and Gun. I do not know if they are trendy, but I like them.

The last has been varied from Bud to Wife Beater, which I still drink sometimes and Staropramen or Asahi.

I work in a bar that sells San Miguel and Peroni for 4.85. I'll never get tired of bell ends coming in and asking for a Peroni before asking the price then looking like someone's just died when they get the bill. Even better if they order a Peroni shandy, the pretentious pricks. It's either pretentious knobs or young guys who think they're the tits trying to impress some ******* who's hanging off their arm that tend to buy expensive shit pints. I have no time for them.

Erdinger, on the other hand......

Does anyone no where to get duvel on tap?id be willing to pay a fiver for a pint of that its the mutts nuts!

Guest C00l K1d

I had a nice beer/lager when i was in jamie olivers restaurant

Edinburgh gold west or something it was called, expensive but :down:

Generic Username

I work in a bar that sells San Miguel and Peroni for 4.85. I'll never get tired of bell ends coming in and asking for a Peroni before asking the price then looking like someone's just died when they get the bill. Even better if they order a Peroni shandy, the pretentious pricks. It's either pretentious knobs or young guys who think they're the tits trying to impress some ******* who's hanging off their arm that tend to buy expensive shit pints. I have no time for them.

Erdinger, on the other hand......

Erdinger is the damage.

Regal Kingston

TO answer the OP - I would say there are many pretentious beers at the moment.

The 'designer lager' scene is thriving!

Peroni - Is probably number one at the moment

Blue Moon/Innes & Gunn too

Also a big surge in continental beers around the pubs of Edinburgh which isn't really pretentious - just for folk who know what they like

When I was growing up it was all about;

Labbatts Blue

Bud Ice

Fosters twist

Becks

Tennents SD in pints

As another poster mentioned this stuff knocked you bandy!

Sure it was about 5% which is stronger than Stella (Although I remember Stella used to be 5.2%.. don't know if it changed?)

rossthejambo

Red stripe is incredible.

I've got some Asahi in the fridge.

Tyskie is good too.

ALL about Paulaner.

Asahi's some good stuff.

Had Paulaner for the first time on Sunday, very very good stuff, I'm not proud of the amount i consumed though :(

Brooklyn Lager.

You can get it in bottles in the Bow Bar or on draught in the Rutland.

Lovely stuff.

Archived