Virgin Media

Jack_Bauer

Just managed to get back online. Was wondering what was going on - pulling wires in and out of the modem and still nothing. Called 150 and was told whole of Edinburgh affected. Then the modem came back to life.

Not the level of service I expect.

Anyone else experience similar?

The Real Maroonblood

Just managed to get back online. Was wondering what was going on - pulling wires in and out of the modem and still nothing. Called 150 and was told whole of Edinburgh affected. Then the modem came back to life.

No problem in my part of Edinburgh.

I switched my PC on then got to it about half an hour later and found it was offline.

A few weeks ago the connection was dropping every other night I was on. I don't know what is going on with them but their service has been shit recently.

Been downloading stuff all day at a steady 8 MB/s average so mines hasn't been down.

How do you avoid the usage restrictions?

Dean Winchester

How do you avoid the usage restrictions?

No idea. I used to get throttled after downloading a certain amount but ever since I switched to Usenet and SSL connections I've generally not noticed any apart from the occasional evening. I download the majority of my stuff during the night though, I just forgot to turn it off today before work.

I had the same problem with Virgin last year. Dialled 150 and they said problem in your area, will be sorted tomorrow. Phoned again the next day and said the same again. Phoned a 3rd time and arranged an technician to come out and have a look. Turns out it was a fault with my modem and **** all to do with area. If it happens again, tell them to send a technician out as they're probably slavering shite, and tell them you're angry as you'll get some sort of discount..

I'm in EH1 and been online most of the day and everything is running ok.

5 weeks with virgin and lucky if it worked for 2!!

I ended up dumping them and moving to Plusnet, I've not

had to contact them once to complain, great service.

Virginmedia are a complete Mickey Mouse outfit when it comes to broadband.

even their customer service doesn't give a toss and will happily lie to you.

Hardly ever had an issue with Virgin.

Ditto, I think I've lost about one day going all the way back to Telewest times.

Dean Winchester

Ditto, I think I've lost about one day going all the way back to Telewest times.

2 for me and it was down to storms knocking out the network.

Barney Rubble

Might sound daft but I often have a problem with VM when it's belting down with rain like tonight.

Me too ! everytime , my son reckons its coincidence but im no sure like !

No problem here.

Oh wait, I have Sky. :verysmug:

Oh wait, you get 50Mb+ and I only get 10Mb. :sob:

You win.

I have sky too. Paying for unlimited broadband 24meg.

I actually get 3.5meg, never had a problem tho but the Internet is slow as feck

5 weeks with virgin and lucky if it worked for 2!!

I ended up dumping them and moving to Plusnet, I've not

had to contact them once to complain, great service.

Virginmedia are a complete Mickey Mouse outfit when it comes to broadband.

even their customer service doesn't give a toss and will happily lie to you.

Agree with you there.

A couple of weeks ago when the service was going down once a day for an entire week I eventually lost patience and phoned their support on 150.

The guy insisted that since his computer was showing no faults in my area then there can't be any. The internet came back on while I was on that call so I let it lie. That was in the morning one Saturday - I went out for the afternoon and came back late afternoon to find it off again. On phoning there was a pre-recorded message saying there was a recognised fault in my area and an engineer was on their way. It came back on 5 hours later and I missed out on an item I was bidding for on Ebay due to lack of Internet access.

My Virgin broadband went down at 1am, just as I was about to send a fairly important email.

Not happy.

It's back on this morning and I don't usually get problems, but I was annoyed last night. I had someone waiting to get some stuff I'd written.

I'm in Bo'ness.

This part of EH10 has been fine since coming home from holiday on Tuesday morning. Like a couple of previous posters, I have hardly had any problems with VM all the way back to United Artists/Telewest days.

I think in the last 18months my Virgin Broadband has been down once, for about 15minutes!

cottagecheese11

you only ever hear about the horror stories with them. if BT got their finger out and upgraded every street with fiber optic broadband, we would never hear of virgin broadband ever again.

i say that because once BT installs the fiber optic broadband you can move from them to any other provider except virgin

I'm EH12 and have been with Virgin since it was Telewest around 10 years ago.

Service has generally been reliable, but in recent months there seems to be more frequency of service interruptions to Broadband Internet, while their Cable TV remains unaffected.

BoJack Horseman

Virgin Broadband is a joke, Off 3-4 times a week for me, Standard

Had the same experience when I lived with the folks and they have Virgin. It was constantly down. Drove me up the wall.

Had Sky since I moved out and have never had a problem. Top package is slower than Virgin but it's truly unlimited and a reliable service. Plus Sky telly pisses all over Virgin.

Virgin has been hopeless tonight. Performance is terrible with web pages from many sites timing out. Looks like its a matter of time before the connectivity drops again.

Archived