Impact

Legend Claws

Legend Claws

What band/artist has made an impact on your life? It could be that they triggered your love affair with music, inspired you on to greater things, made you cry/laugh/love etc or maybe they opened up your ears to a whole different style of music?

See I have been trying to think of bands that have a major impact over the last 10-15 years. I mean an impact along the lines of Joy Division/Buzzcocks/The Clash you know, those who got people talking, started a revolution, invented a new genre and made a statement. It is not easy to come up with examples. Yeah Britpop was great (in my opinion) and helped galvanise a nation that had been putting up with a pretty bleak government, but the music itself wasn't really that new. It was guitar based pop and there were very few bands who were really knocking out truly original music.

So who has made a difference to you? Or does music not really figure that much in your life? Will we ever see a band/artist that can make an impact again and if not what/who is to blame? Is there a lack of talent? Are we all too caught up in our technological lives to care? Is it due to the fact that plenty of original talent is over looked and struggle to find the venues to play? Perhaps NME are to blame due to their bandwagon creating ways? Is there too much apathy within music fans?

Would love to hear some thoughts...

This won't be at all original, but i guess that's not the point. It's not an exercise in cool where you have to name some unknown band just cos no-one else will have heard for them. For me, it was Oasis.

I was 15 when Definitely Maybe came out. Granted, it wasn't reinventing the wheel, but the tunes were awesome and the attitude refreshing. That provided the soundtrack to the summer after my GCSE's. Sitting in beer gardens of pubs with less than strict landlords, drinking cider.

My first gig was Oasis at Earls Court the following year, with 12,000 odd like-minded individuals and I *****ing loved it. And love them or loathe them, there is no denying the impact they had on guitar music in this country.

It's not what it used to be, never will be again. But I was lucky enough to see them at the London Coronet (capacity about 1000 i think) when they toured the small venues for 'Don't Believe The Truth'. All the old tunes, still played with the passion of 1994. Best gig I ever did see.

I expect to be shot down in flames now by some 'better than thou' muso buff. Give a *****.

You and I are gonna live forever.

Legend Claws
This won't be at all original, but i guess that's not the point. It's not an exercise in cool where you have to name some unknown band just cos no-one else will have heard for them. For me, it was Oasis.

I was 15 when Definitely Maybe came out. Granted, it wasn't reinventing the wheel, but the tunes were awesome and the attitude refreshing. That provided the soundtrack to the summer after my GCSE's. Sitting in beer gardens of pubs with less than strict landlords, drinking cider.

My first gig was Oasis at Earls Court the following year, with 12,000 odd like-minded individuals and I *****ing loved it. And love them or loathe them, there is no denying the impact they had on guitar music in this country.

It's not what it used to be, never will be again. But I was lucky enough to see them at the London Coronet (capacity about 1000 i think) when they toured the small venues for 'Don't Believe The Truth'. All the old tunes, still played with the passion of 1994. Best gig I ever did see.

I expect to be shot down in flames now by some 'better than thou' muso buff. Give a *****.

You and I are gonna live forever.

I have to agree mate I was the around the same age when Definitely Maybe came out and it blew me away.

Not original in any way but for a lad at 15/16 it gave you that wee bit of swagger that you needed. A true 'mates' album.

I remember watching pepsi network chart as a youn'un and seeing the vidoe for "novacaine for the soul" where E is falling on washing lines and its all black & white. This kickstarted a now 12 Year love affair with The Eels. I cant recall another band whose releases I look forward to quite as much. Some folk say he is miserable but he has many cracking uptempo numbers. Finally got to see them live at Rockwerchter last year and it was incredible.

Also a small mention to The Lemonheads and Blur. Both incredible bands especially Blur who have reinvented themselves on more than 1 occasion, whilst still having great songs.

Legend Claws
I remember watching pepsi network chart as a youn'un and seeing the vidoe for "novacaine for the soul" where E is falling on washing lines and its all black & white. This kickstarted a now 12 Year love affair with The Eels. I cant recall another band whose releases I look forward to quite as much. Some folk say he is miserable but he has many cracking uptempo numbers. Finally got to see them live at Rockwerchter last year and it was incredible.

Also a small mention to The Lemonheads and Blur. Both incredible bands especially Blur who have reinvented themselves on more than 1 occasion, whilst still having great songs.

Totally agree with Blur, perhaps one of the more original bands of the Britpop era and one of the few to survive it.

Eels are playing here in Melbourne soon, is it worth a watch?

Aphex Twin probably.

His early stuff got me into electronic music. Pretty amazing considering I liked metal at that point.

Eels are playing here in Melbourne soon, is it worth a watch?

Hell yeah. E's live performance is incredible. When I saw him he wore a full flight suit, goggles and all. Had a MASSIVE beard and played about 10 different guitars throughout the set. All the while a 6ft 5 bloke with a bald head and matching goggles kickboxed his way through every song. Add to the mix that I was under the influence and it was incredible. He rocked the **** out of every song and tore the place apart. I was knackered just watching!

Watch the DVD of the "eels with strings" and its totally different. Each song is blissfully played with full orchestral backing. Shows another side to every song and its just as good. I cant really name many more bands that can play the same songs but with polar opposite performances. Incredible.

The punk movement was a big eye-opener and still love to spin a few Damened, Ramones and Buzzcocks tunes.

For mellow moments and songs that mean things you can't beat Neil Young. He is a guy who does it purely for the music and has never compromised himself commercially. A couple of albums have been experiments that didn't work, but others have been ground-breaking.

From pure folk songs to full on grinding grunge numbers the guy can really write a song. Without NY American music would have been totally different.

chester copperpot

Had 3 phases in my life.

Phase 1 - Adam and the ants/Joy Division/Pink Floyd (and so many others)

Phase 2 - Oasis/Stone Roses/Embrace (I know I know)/The Verve/Happy Mondays.

Phase 3 - Went back to my old school with this one. The Eagles/Erasure (I know I know)/Human League/Portishead/ There's actually so many to mention come 3rd phase, its obscene.

Rick Grimes

oasis, IMO, are a distinctly average band. but i think you've nailed it somewhat in the impact they had on the music scene. they just caught the zeitgeist perfectly & that's often more important than the music itself in propelling a band right to the top.

2 stages for me

Prince - mid 80's when i started work and got interested in music and then got blown away with some his genius, went to my first concert in 88 (Lovesexy) and that was me sold. Seen him every time he has been in the country since.

2nd stage was Oasis, Stone Roses etc it was a real feeling of something happening within the music scene at the time. Before Brit Pop, popular music was boring brainless PWL manufactured crap and this was something new. I have been to see Oasis quite a few times but last year I went to the verus cancer trust concert in Manchester. Noel and Gem played don't go away, a song Id never seen live and was totally blown away. Ian Brown and Mani played I am the Resurrection, thats as close as I will probably ever get to seeing the Stone Roses live again (No matter how bad Ian Brown is live).

adam and the ants were my heroes in my single figure years

first band i saw live were ACDC in 1982 (i was 8) at the playhouse and my love affair with rock began progressing into the thrash scene with Anthrax and Metallica.

i also did the indie thing inspiral carpets, northside, stone roses and the club scene N-Joi, Prodigy.

i have a very wide range in music taste but heavy metal/rock will always be the first thing i will listen too

currently listening to Supergrass new album which is fantastic and Airborne who are a young ACDC

Have to say it was actually probably Pulp. Was quite young it has to be said but going into High School I started listening to what some of my older friends were into. Before that I was into all the generic chart stuff as I actually thought that was all the existed (that, Queen and Rod Stewart as that is what I heard at home haha) Jesus, now that I think about it Common People probably changed my life!! :eek:

:shade:

Legend Claws
adam and the ants were my heroes in my single figure years

first band i saw live were ACDC in 1982 (i was 8) at the playhouse and my love affair with rock began progressing into the thrash scene with Anthrax and Metallica.

i also did the indie thing inspiral carpets, northside, stone roses and the club scene N-Joi, Prodigy.

i have a very wide range in music taste but heavy metal/rock will always be the first thing i will listen too

currently listening to Supergrass new album which is fantastic and Airborne who are a young ACDC

Nice first gig and I love them too.

My first gig was Michael Jackson at the age of eight.

And no I didn't go back stage.

Legend Claws
Have to say it was actually probably Pulp. Was quite young it has to be said but going into High School I started listening to what some of my older friends were into. Before that I was into all the generic chart stuff as I actually thought that was all the existed (that, Queen and Rod Stewart as that is what I heard at home haha) Jesus, now that I think about it Common People probably changed my life!! :eek:

:shade:

I think Pulp will have enlightened a lot of people.

Legend Claws
Hell yeah. E's live performance is incredible. When I saw him he wore a full flight suit, goggles and all. Had a MASSIVE beard and played about 10 different guitars throughout the set. All the while a 6ft 5 bloke with a bald head and matching goggles kickboxed his way through every song. Add to the mix that I was under the influence and it was incredible. He rocked the **** out of every song and tore the place apart. I was knackered just watching!

Watch the DVD of the "eels with strings" and its totally different. Each song is blissfully played with full orchestral backing. Shows another side to every song and its just as good. I cant really name many more bands that can play the same songs but with polar opposite performances. Incredible.

Holy **** mate never really appreciated Eels now I am hooked. I didn't get to the show but have bought the new Meet the Eels and am amazed.

Nice first gig and I love them too.

My first gig was Michael Jackson at the age of eight.

And no I didn't go back stage.

cannot believe you admitted that

Legend Claws
cannot believe you admitted that

Can't deny the man's music!

I would say it is a pretty legendary gig to have seen.

The Prodigy - responsible for getting me into dance music when I was about 11

Radiohead - the only 'proper band' who have continually produced stuff I like for over 10 years.

Holy **** mate never really appreciated Eels now I am hooked. I didn't get to the show but have bought the new Meet the Eels and am amazed.

Yeah its a great album. You should invest in the back catalogue and the live DVD. They are one seriously underrated band!

Legend Claws

I saw Biffy Clyro last night here in Melbourne (in a small venue, at least half the crowd were Scottish) and they blew me away! Wasn't sure about the Puzzle album but after seeing it live (as well as old favourites) I have changed my mind. They were so loud that they broke the sound system! Thankfully it was fixed after a short break and they continued to blow me away.

If you get a chance to see them take it now as I think they will be a scorching hot ticket sooner rather than later.

Dr. Dre's 2001 album put me onto Hip-Hop for a good 6 years.

Arctic Monkey's early demos started the ball rolling that brought me back to british guitar music.

Legend Claws
Dr. Dre's 2001 album put me onto Hip-Hop for a good 6 years.

Arctic Monkey's early demos started the ball rolling that brought me back to british guitar music.

2001 is fantastic aslo got me in to that form of hip hop.

Archived