Pulp

Legend Claws

Legend Claws
Is it not called Babies?

Only decent song they ever did if it's the same one i'm thinking of.

Yeah you are right!

Some fan (e) me eh?

Yeah you are right!

Some fan (e) me eh?

It's the one about Jarvis looking like a sex offender and hiding in his sister's wardrobe when she get's jiggy with some guy call David from a garage.

I do like that song.

Legend Claws
It's the one about Jarvis looking like a sex offender and hiding in his sister's wardrobe when she get's jiggy with some guy call David from a garage.

I do like that song.

That be the one!

Pulp fan here !! Although Different Class was their breakthrough album the one before that, HisnHers (the one with Babies on it) was superb. They went a bit darker after Different Class and that lost them alot of the younger fans I think. They still produced good stuff after Different Class but it just never sold. Jarvis Cockers solo album at the end of 06 was a welcome return

Kalamazoo Jambo

Great band. For me, they evoke a time (the nineties) and a peculiar sense of Britishness that is more poignant now that I live overseas.

His 'n' Hers and Different Class are both, err, different class.

Great band. For me, they evoke a time (the nineties) and a peculiar sense of Britishness that is more poignant now that I live overseas.

A Super Furry Animals fan too if im not mistaken? Super stuff !

Legend Claws

Haha

They just remind me of that awesome time when you are 15/16/17/18 and having a ****ing riot!

I love Pulp! They are immense!! This is Hardcore is one of my favourite tunes ever!! Jarvis is the man...

"That's ok cos we're all sorted out for E's and whizz..."

Magical.

Is it not called Babies?

Only decent song they ever did if it's the same one i'm thinking of.

Very opinionated on your music aren't you mate. I can't remember one thread on music when you haven't thrown around a few bold statements. Are you just fishing for reactions? Not a criticism, just an observation.

Maybe Naughty By Nature isn't everyone's cup of tea either!! ha ha

Commander Harris

"different class" is one of the best albums of the 90s, so there!

"I am not Jesus but I have the same initials......"

Personally, I am not Buffalo Bill but I have the same initials. One of my favourite bands. Different Class & This is Hardcore are immense. Jarvis is some frontman.

Very opinionated on your music aren't you mate. I can't remember one thread on music when you haven't thrown around a few bold statements. Are you just fishing for reactions? Not a criticism, just an observation.

Maybe Naughty By Nature isn't everyone's cup of tea either!! ha ha

Yeah thats me.

EVERYONE loves NBN though. ;)

Legend Claws

Who can forget Jarvis getting a bit ****ed off with Michael Jackson's performance at the Brits in 96 and raiding the stage! Rock n roll man!

Nelly Terraces

They were the cerebral side of Britpop (although, of course, they'd been going years before that,) and the best at doing what they did since The Smiths split.

His'n'Hers is a masterpiece of song writing and very underrated imho. Jarvis is a frontman oozing charisma, geekoid sex appeal and above all, intellegince, and knowing cool. In fact, the band, as a whole, looked the bizz.

Saw them twice fairly late on, once at Brixton Academy, the other on their final tour where they played Forestry Commission woodlands to promote their last album 'We Love Life' (by way, if you haven't got this - get it, it was criminally ignored, but features some stonking tunes). That gig was brilliant, in the middle of Thetford Forest on a hot Sunday night. They did an awesome krautrock version of 'Common People' (would like to know if the ever committed that version to plastic - would love a copy if they did).

All in, just a brilliant band whose songs will stand the test of time no sweat. Give it a few years and bands will be namechecking them as a massive influence.

This is Hardcore - You Make Me Hard.

NT

Walter Kidd

This is Hardcore signified the death of Britpop and Blair and New Labour and Alcopops and well, you get it. The best album of all "Britpop". Noel and Liam had turned into everything they despised when writing Definitely Maybe and Damon had split up with Justine and written the biggest, girliest album ever for someone splitting up with his (ugly) bird. It's Over.

Jarvis Cocker will go down with Morrissey in the end as one of Britains finest.

I saw them headline at T in the Park in the mid 90s and they were brilliant. Still the most played band on my ipod.

I saw them headline at T in the Park in the mid 90s and they were brilliant. Still the most played band on my ipod.

I saw them in the King Tuts tent at the very first T in the Park and it was very good also. I really liked do you remember the first time. Jarvis is immensely watchable on stage.

I have never been a fan of his lyrics though. I don't really like that seedy, pervy, sleazy style he has. I really dislike the lyrics to common people for example. The subject matter of babies also never sat well with me. I think the lyrics were a big part of the reason that i never liked pulp all that much.

Actually, i do like the lyrics for sorted for e's and whizz (great tune also).

Pulp are ace. Saw them at the Corn Exchange a good few years ago. Top stuff. ;)

Guest Tynie Bubbles

Was never a big fan until I saw them live at Leeds festival, it was pouring with rain and very muddy. 8 of us were huddled under a polythene ground sheet. When he (Jarvis Cocker) shouted "Are we all sorted out for E's and Whizz?" there must have been 7,000 hands shoot up in the air in unison waving their little packets about.

Defining momernt of the whole weekend.

"What if you never come down?"

Different Class is good.

But This Is Hardcore is outstanding.

I concur, sir.

And let's not get too misty-eyed for the past. 'The Jarvis Cocker Record' is brilliant. If you liked Pulp, you'll love it.

Commander Harris

"This Is Hardcore" is indeed a great album - I've dug it out and am listening to it now. class. :)

Legend Claws
I saw them in the King Tuts tent at the very first T in the Park and it was very good also. I really liked do you remember the first time. Jarvis is immensely watchable on stage.

I have never been a fan of his lyrics though. I don't really like that seedy, pervy, sleazy style he has. I really dislike the lyrics to common people for example. The subject matter of babies also never sat well with me. I think the lyrics were a big part of the reason that i never liked pulp all that much.

Actually, i do like the lyrics for sorted for e's and whizz (great tune also).

You've managed to go from saying you don't like them to naming three songs you do like and given Jarvis your seal of approval as a performer. Changing your mind eh? Haha

Legend Claws
I concur, sir.

And let's not get too misty-eyed for the past. 'The Jarvis Cocker Record' is brilliant. If you liked Pulp, you'll love it.

You know I haven't listened to his solo album as I was worried that it may dissapoint. Will check it out now for sure.

You've managed to go from saying you don't like them to naming three songs you do like and given Jarvis your seal of approval as a performer. Changing your mind eh? Haha

You're right. I was a little harsh at first, they have more good tunes than i thought of.

However, there are plenty of good performers who's music i'm not into.

chester copperpot

I liked PULP, though not a huge fan.

Best moment for me was when Jarvis appeared on Shooting Stars and they called him 'The Weed in Tweed'.

Cracked me up,and he was a good sport with it, wrestling the wee dog in a tug of war contest.

Liked Common people, but never really got into their stuff if I'm honest.

Nostalgic memories of Pulp, Saturday nights in the early 90's in Finlays. Thursday nights at the Jaffa when it was 20p a vodka then walkin home at 5 in the morning as people were gettin up for work. Fav track is Do you remember the first time but the Saturday night track was Mis-shapes that and Ash Girl from Mars.

Legend Claws
Nostalgic memories of Pulp, Saturday nights in the early 90's in Finlays. Thursday nights at the Jaffa when it was 20p a vodka then walkin home at 5 in the morning as people were gettin up for work. Fav track is Do you remember the first time but the Saturday night track was Mis-shapes that and Ash Girl from Mars.

Can't beat walking past the suits on your way home!

You know I haven't listened to his solo album as I was worried that it may dissapoint. Will check it out now for sure.

Here is one of his solo tunes to start you off. Great video !

Dunno, maybe I was just into a different vibe at the time, but I never really bought into the image Pulp were trying so hard to portray.

I get the whole nod to the Smiths, who I didn't like either, and I get the catchy pop lyrics that are actually meant to "mean something", and it wasn't offensive to the the ears, but I never really got into it.

Dunno, maybe I was just into a different vibe at the time, but I never really bought into the image Pulp were trying so hard to portray.

I get the whole nod to the Smiths, who I didn't like either, and I get the catchy pop lyrics that are actually meant to "mean something", and it wasn't offensive to the the ears, but I never really got into it.

I suppose you're more into the whole US AOR thing Rab. :rolleyes:

Thankfully you didn't bring any CDs round when you invited yourself to my pre Cup Final champagne breakfast. ;)

Nah, around that time I was intent on doing as much damage to my body as possible with alcohol on a Friday, and other things on a Saturday :)

If you'd asked, I'd have brought far superior music to the 'marching' music you were playing that day ;)

Archived