Wiggo's bike, up on ebay - ?10,000

The People's Chimp

The People's Chimp

Up on ebay - a guy who won one of Bradley Wiggins' team Sky Pinarellos is flogging it on the bay for a reserve of ?10,000. He just won the thing. Obviously he can do what he wants with it, but I hope he makes SFA as in entering the competition he's done someone who would absolutely love that bike, out of the chance of owning it.

As it is, would you pay ?10,000 to a **** who had paid nothing for it?

http://www.ebay.co.u...6#ht_500wt_1288

Thoughts?

Gregory House M.D.

Up on ebay - a guy who won one of Bradley Wiggin's team Sky Pinarellos is flogging it on the bay for a reserve of ?10,000. He just won the thing. Obviously he can do what he wants with it, but I hope he makes SFA as in entering the competition he's done someone who would absolutely love that bike, out of the chance of owning it.

As it is, would you pay ?10,000 to a **** who'd pay nothing for it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bradley-Wiggins-2012-Pinarello-Dogma-2-Bike-/190709800006?_trksid=p4340.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D555001%26algo%3DPW.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D29%26meid%3D1207052506919840496%26pid%3D100009%26prg%3D1013%26rk%3D1%26#ht_500wt_1288

Thoughts?

Fair play to him. ?10k is alot of money.

BoJack Horseman

100% would be selling it. Portion of the cash to charity to keep the moaners happy and attract higher bids. Win win.

Gregory House M.D.

Qulite a daft place to put a ?10k item though IMO. Don't you still have to pay the commission out of your own pocket if it goes tits up?

Hardly going to ride it to work is he?

What's the point in it just sitting in the garden shed.

2 options - Donate to Museum, or punt for as much money as you can squeeze out of it.

Dean Winchester

Qulite a daft place to put a ?10k item though IMO. Don't you still have to pay the commission out of your own pocket if it goes tits up?

Not if they don't pay.

no. don't be silly bunter.

he'll get a fees credit if it wasn't paid for. he'll also get a fees credit if he has to take it back from the buyer for any reason. he can insure the shipping.

he's right to sell it right away as well. right now is when an item like that is at it's most valuable. no point keeping it for a few years and then trying to flog it as it wont appreciate in value. it can only depreciate.

Right now he'll be inundated with emails offering him a private sale. This bike will be withdrawn from eBay in the next few days and quietly, privately sold to someone who first saw it there. He won't be paying any commission. The pressure he's under not to sell is the perfect excuse to withdraw it.

Personally, I think he's spot on. That's no bike for an ordinary bloke, he's was lucky to win it, he might as well cash in.

Do you think all those guys on Bullseye who won speedboats, but lived in council flats, actually kept the boats?

Right now he'll be inundated with emails offering him a private sale. This bike will be withdrawn from eBay in the next few days and quietly, privately sold to someone who first saw it there. He won't be paying any commission. The pressure he's under not to sell is the perfect excuse to withdraw it.

Personally, I think he's spot on. That's no bike for an ordinary bloke, he's was lucky to win it, he might as well cash in.

Do you think all those guys on Bullseye who won speedboats, but lived in council flats, actually kept the boats?

while that's right, i think there's a good chance that ebay will have some kind of system of flagging up any iffy practice regarding 'off-baying selling'. whether that's through monitoring, reports from members, etc. they will take a very dim view of a withdrawn listing and subsequent private sale of such a valuable item. i'm pretty sure they also monitor the message service.

while that's right, i think there's a good chance that ebay will have some kind of system of flagging up any iffy practice regarding 'off-baying selling'. whether that's through monitoring, reports from members, etc. they will take a very dim view of a withdrawn listing and subsequent private sale of such a valuable item. i'm pretty sure they also monitor the message service.

I recently sold some fairly valuable, rare medals on eBay and that was my experience, some I sold privately after receiving offers, some I left in the auction. With something as prominent as this lot they may well monitor more closely, but as I said the guy has a very good excuse if he does withdraw the lot.

I recently sold some fairly valuable, rare medals on eBay and that was my experience, some I sold privately after receiving offers, some I left in the auction. With something as prominent as this lot they may well monitor more closely, but as I said the guy has a very good excuse if he does withdraw the lot.

whatever the case, the boy is quids in. someone has bid on it this afternoon and he it would appear from his revised listing that a large number of people are watching it. i wonder what his reserve is.

if he does do an 'off-bay', i hope he's not daft enough to accept a paypal payment from his buyer.

Do The Dance

I sometimes enter the gadget show competition, no chance I would keep all those items if I won. I'd sell it too.

lets do the normal and silly bid it up

that'll teach him

Teach him what? He won it fair and square. Its his to do as he pleases.

Creepy Lurker

See if I won the car on Family Fortunes, I wouldn't then sell it to make money as I'd then be doing someone who entered Family Fortunes because they really needed a car out of that car and that would be WRONG WRONG WRONG.

BoJack Horseman

See if I won the car on Family Fortunes, I wouldn't then sell it to make money as I'd then be doing someone who entered Family Fortunes because they really needed a car out of that car and that would be WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Are you joking?

even without it being wiggins bike, the Pinarello Dogma 2 with Di 2 shifters with race spec wheels and tyres would be worth around 10 grand!

even without it being wiggins bike, the Pinarello Dogma 2 with Di 2 shifters with race spec wheels and tyres would be worth around 10 grand!

Exactly. People who don't know about the bike itself being outraged about nothing.

This bike is worth a good few thousand quid, pina with those wheels and Di2...I wouldn't sell it cause its a dream to have one like that. Fyi wiggo doesnt use dura ace cranks ;-)

Pity a genuine cycling fan didn't win this prize.

As the guy says, i'm 16 stone! Good luck to him. Hope he gets a lot for it.

ever thought of buying a bike? my weight plummeted when I decisded to buy a bike to try and get a bit fitter - was touching 15 stone myself and gradually cycling helped bring that down to 11 stone

Go for something at the lower end of the market to start with!!

ever thought of buying a bike? my weight plummeted when I decisded to buy a bike to try and get a bit fitter - was touching 15 stone myself and gradually cycling helped bring that down to 11 stone

Go for something at the lower end of the market to start with!!

He's 16 stone, no me! hehe

telford_jambo84

Off topic a bit but did you wiggins and that walloper piers morgan on twitter exchanging words?

Morgan: I was very dissapointed that @bradwiggins didn't sing the anthem either, show some respect please!

Wiggins response to Morgan

" I was very dissapointed when you didn't go to jail for inside dealing or phone hacking , but you know, each to their own"

: pleasing: sir brad of wiggins laying the :smackdown:

The People's Chimp

Exactly. People who don't know about the bike itself being outraged about nothing.

Em, not really. Just a bit miffed it didn't go to a cycling fan is all...

Off topic a bit but did you wiggins and that walloper piers morgan on twitter exchanging words?

Morgan: I was very dissapointed that @bradwiggins didn't sing the anthem either, show some respect please!

Wiggins response to Morgan

" I was very dissapointed when you didn't go to jail for inside dealing or phone hacking , but you know, each to their own"

: pleasing: sir brad of wiggins laying the :smackdown:

Never happened.

Would have been good though.

Em, not really. Just a bit miffed it didn't go to a cycling fan is all...

We dont know he isn't a cycling fan but I share your views

the guy's bottling it a bit. he's reduced his reserve. it's got five hours to go and the reserve hasn't been reached yet.

then again... a failed listing might be the plan after all.

I P Knightley

Man has, by good fortune, something of value for which he has no use.

Man puts said thing on the market so that he can benefit from value of said thing.

Can anyone explain why this is unusual and different from anything else that someone sells as surplus to requirements?

Some of the comments on here (& elsewhere) would make you think that the next logical step is for Elton John to re-write Candle in the Wind.

Archived