U20 League

Footballfirst

Footballfirst

The new league starts next week, with Hearts first game against Aberdeen having been rescheduled, at the Dons request, to Wednesday with a 2pm kick off. All Hearts home games will be played at Newtongrange Star's New Victoria Park.

The league consists of 15 teams, all 12 SPL sides plus Dunfermline, Falkirk and Hamilton.

I picked up the following from the Hamilton website about the rules on overage players

It is an under 20 league (players must be born on or after 1.1.93) but you can play two overage players, regardless of age. In addition you can play one under 23 player and one overage goalkeeper. Up to two trialists can be picked, provided they are otherwise eligible to play, but each trialist, regardless of age, reduces the number of overage players you can have. Teams can list up to 7 substitutes, one of whom must be a goalkeeper, and you can bring on up to five subs (with a maximum of four outfield players).

I don't know what Hearts approach will be, but we currently have 21 U20 players. Six of them have effectively been part of the 1st team squad for most of pre season (Holt, Walker, D Smith, Paterson, McHattie and Carrick). We have played a couple of "reserve" bounce games to keep everone fit, but I don't know if Darren Murray will be asked to treat the U20s as a reserve side, thus keeping the experienced U20s fit and ready to step up. There is also the issue of keeping the likes of Prychynenko and D McGowan fit. The rules on overage players and subs seem very flexible, so it could lead to a big disparity between teams depending on their approach.

The regular U20s will need cover at CB for Wednesday, as Brad McKay has a broken metatarsel, so I think we may see Dylan McGowan play alongside Jordan McGhee. If we are to use the "reserve" team ethos, we might even see Danny Grainger play 45 mins if it is intended that he will start on Sunday.

Personally I would like to see Holt, Walker and co play in the U20s to keep their fitness levels up, but I don't know if Darren Murray shares that view and would rather look for the younger ones to step up. It could be that we lose one or two more 1st team players before the transfer window and we might need them sooner than planned.

The new league starts next week, with Hearts first game against Aberdeen having been rescheduled, at the Dons request, to Wednesday with a 2pm kick off. All Hearts home games will be played at Newtongrange Star's New Victoria Park.

The league consists of 15 teams, all 12 SPL sides plus Dunfermline, Falkirk and Hamilton.

I picked up the following from the Hamilton website about the rules on overage players

I don't know what Hearts approach will be, but we currently have 21 U20 players. Six of them have effectively been part of the 1st team squad for most of pre season (Holt, Walker, D Smith, Paterson, McHattie and Carrick). We have played a couple of "reserve" bounce games to keep everone fit, but I don't know if Darren Murray will be asked to treat the U20s as a reserve side, thus keeping the experienced U20s fit and ready to step up. There is also the issue of keeping the likes of Prychynenko and D McGowan fit. The rules on overage players and subs seem very flexible, so it could lead to a big disparity between teams depending on their approach.

The regular U20s will need cover at CB for Wednesday, as Brad McKay has a broken metatarsel, so I think we may see Dylan McGowan play alongside Jordan McGhee. If we are to use the "reserve" team ethos, we might even see Danny Grainger play 45 mins if it is intended that he will start on Sunday.

Personally I would like to see Holt, Walker and co play in the U20s to keep their fitness levels up, but I don't know if Darren Murray shares that view and would rather look for the younger ones to step up. It could be that we lose one or two more 1st team players before the transfer window and we might need them sooner than planned.

The regular U20s will need cover at CB for Wednesday, as Brad McKay has a broken metatarsel,

He doesn't, not as bad as initially thought. He says the x-ray came back and his foot isn't broken.

Footballfirst

He doesn't, not as bad as initially thought. He says the x-ray came back and his foot isn't broken.

That's good news, but I did see him walking with a special boot/support at Tynie on Saturday when the U20s paraded the Keyline cup.

Archived