Gary Glen

maroonlegions

maroonlegions

Hearts: Eggert tips modest mate Gary to do his talking on the pitch:)

By COLLEEN PATERSON

HAVING come through the youth ranks himself, Eggert Jonsson knows just what it takes to make the grade at Tynecastle ? and the young Icelander believes that Gary Glen has the attributes required to become a huge success in Gorgie.

Jonsson, who made the breakthrough to the first team at the beginning of the season, knows the striker's game inside out, having previously played with him in the under-19s.

And he would love to see his friend establish himself as part of the top team over the course of the four games which remain of the SPL campaign. Glen's transition from under-19 to first-team player appeared to be virtually seamless at the weekend as he helped set one up, scored another and generally ran himself into the ground against St Mirren. He played 87 minutes, his only previous appearance coming off the bench against Dundee United just over a year ago, but is likely to be on from the start again when Hearts take on Inverness at Tynecastle this weekend, along with right-back Jason Thomson.

With the club out of the top six, interim head coach Stephen Frail vowed to give his youngsters a chance to shine in the games after the split with a view to building towards next season.

And Jonsson believes that Glen would be a useful addition to the resources available to Frail.

Jonsson, who brought Hearts level against Saints with a deflected effort from just outside the box on Saturday, said: "What a game he had, it was a great start for him. I thought that he looked composed and he gave everything that he had. It was great to see him scoring and he also did really well with the first goal as well.

"I have known him since I was in the 19s and he has always been a good player and I think that he has got a great future ahead of him. He knows the ability he has got but I think that he is delighted at the way his full debut went.

"He is a good guy and will never say too much about it but the boys in the dressing room are all delighted for him and hopefully he can go on now and make a real impression on the first team. He is a quiet guy and won't give anyone stick about it, he'll just get on with it.":)

Jonsson was full of praise for the youth set-up at the club's Riccarton Academy. He said: "We have many guys coming thorough the academy, as we have done in the past. There's Robbie Neilson, Christophe Berra, Lee Wallace, Andrew Driver, myself and that's only a few of them. Now we have Gary and Jason who have been doing well in the reserves. They both did really well and the rest of us have been in there for a little while now. I think that says a lot about the academy and the quality of the facilities and the coaching staff that we have at the club right now."

Jonsson was delighted with the way his side pulled together to take all three points after falling behind to a strike from Ryan McCay inside the opening 20 minutes. And he feels that Hearts can prove a point to their doubters by winning all four of their remaining games this season. "It was a good result for us, we showed a great character and a lot of team spirit after a disappointing period which has caused us to finish the season in the bottom six," he continued.

"Hopefully that result and the determination will help to prove to the fans that we do care about the team and that we are hurting. We have all been disappointed with the way that things have gone and we had to come out and show the fans that our season is not over and that we have got our pride to play for. At the end of the day people can say whatever they want, but the players have to go out and give all that they have got." Jonsson believes that Hearts have done exactly that in recent weeks and insisted that Saturday's game against the Buddies is one they may well have lost earlier in the season.

Having already tasted defeat to Gus MacPherson's side at Tynecastle this season, it was a hard-fought three points and Jonsson admitted that Hearts are now a different prospect than they were at the turn of the year.

"Going a goal down earlier in the season would maybe have been a different story, we would maybe have lost the game if we had played it a few months ago," he said.

"We scored two great goals and, apart from that, I don't think they created too many problems for us, and, at the end of the day, I think that we deserved to win.

"It says a lot about us, though, to be able to come back from a goal down.

"All the players are professionals and we have a job to do. Y

ou have got a problem if you can't go out there and give your all for the team.

"We have still got a lot to play for, people are playing for their places in the team for next season and for their personal pride.

"The least we want to get out of this season is finishing in seventh, that's the highest that we can finish right now so we have to win as many of our final four games as possible." The Icelander is determined that they start that sequence with a win over Caley this weekend. "We need to make sure that we win the match this weekend and every other weekend until the end of the campaign," he added. "We need to show that we really are a team because maybe on one or two occasions we have not looked like one. Things are much improved now though as I think we have proved since the start of the year. We need to finish on a high for next season and with a bit of pride as well.":)

"its Gary,itsGary,its Gary,Gary Glen"

he"ll stick the baw in your fecking net ,its Gary,Gary Glen".:107years:

Malcolm Tucker

If Berra leaves in the summer, I think we could do a lot worse than give Eggert the captaincy. He's only 19, but he handles himself brilliantly in front of the media, says the right things and is a great talent with a very bright future. He's not quiet on the park as well.

Just a thought.

jambo_4_eva
If Berra leaves in the summer, I think we could do a lot worse than give Eggert the captaincy. He's only 19, but he handles himself brilliantly in front of the media, says the right things and is a great talent with a very bright future. He's not quiet on the park as well.

Just a thought.

Hes too young. We should at least give it to someone a little older. To be honest I think everyone getting a little carried away with Gary Glen hes only had one good game. Eggert nothing special yet.

Malcolm Tucker
Hes too young. We should at least give it to someone a little older. To be honest I think everyone getting a little carried away with Gary Glen hes only had one good game. Eggert nothing special yet.

Banks will be coaching a lot more, hopefully Neilson will just be a squad player, Stewart is far too hot-headed and Larry will almost certainly be gone.

As I say, just a thought.

And I agree re Glen. We cannot get too carried away. But he does look like he has a lot of potential, and hopefully we nurture that.

Future is looking brighter.

Archived