which film should i watch?

BigAlim

tokyowalnut

Vertigo recently got voted best Film ever by a selection of film crits and other movie top dogs - it was previously Citizen Kane!!

Vertigo recently got voted best Film ever by a selection of film crits and other movie top dogs - it was previously Citizen Kane!!

I heard that. I think it's a ridiculous choice tbh. Good enough film but hasn't aged particularly well. I'd like to hear the reasoning behind the decision.

Chris Benoit

I heard that. I think it's a ridiculous choice tbh. Good enough film but hasn't aged particularly well. I'd like to hear the reasoning behind the decision.

Saw the top 10 in the paper yesterday it's got 2 silent movies in it and the most recent was made in the 70's. There's always so much pretentiousness in these lists, you wonder if those voting liked the movie or just wanted to be seen to like the movie

Saw the top 10 in the paper yesterday it's got 2 silent movies in it and the most recent was made in the 70's. There's always so much pretentiousness in these lists, you wonder if those voting liked the movie or just wanted to be seen to like the movie

I wonder the same thing. Never seen Vertigo voted top film in any IMDB poll or anything similar. It's not even the best Hitchcock film ffs.

Vertigo is a beautiful film, undoubtedly the best cinematography Hitchcock shot.

It is a masterpiece imo, but it does have a major problem that would knock it down from the no 1 spot of "best film ever", namely that James Stewart's Scottie is possibly too old for the part, and also he is not a terribly sympathetic character, which leaves you watching from the outside as he chases the ghost of a women that doesn't exist.

Vertigo is a beautiful film, undoubtedly the best cinematography Hitchcock shot.

It is a masterpiece imo, but it does have a major problem that would knock it down from the no 1 spot of "best film ever", namely that James Stewart's Scottie is possibly too old for the part, and also he is not a terribly sympathetic character, which leaves you watching from the outside as he chases the ghost of a women that doesn't exist.

It's a very good film. I've enjoyed it every time I've watched it. It has aged badly though, modern films are generally more realistic and believable which (again generally) makes them better.

For example, in the driving scenes in Vertigo you can see that they are sitting in a car with a screen of moving scenery in the background. If that was in a modern film it would get laughed at. I know it's the best they could do back then but things have progressed, IMO for the better.

It's a very good film. I've enjoyed it every time I've watched it. It has aged badly though, modern films are generally more realistic and believable which (again generally) makes them better.

For example, in the driving scenes in Vertigo you can see that they are sitting in a car with a screen of moving scenery in the background. If that was in a modern film it would get laughed at. I know it's the best they could do back then but things have progressed, IMO for the better.

It is of it's time though. It also should be remembered that many of the modern techniques aped in glossy, pretty modern films were established by old masters like Hitchcock, Kubrick, Welles, pushing and indeed inventing equipment to get shots that nowadays are taken for granted.

But technical prowess doesn't make a film better - Clash of The Titans orginal with it's awesome but obvious and dated Ray Harryhausen stop-motion creatures, or modern Clash of the Titans which, with state of the art cameras and cgi effects should be miles better. It's not tho.

I'm watching Drive for the first time, it's intense!!

Sorry, no help to you!

Strange, I watched Drive last night as well. Thought it was excellent, very intense, taught, brilliantly lit and directed and the soundtrack was perfect. Very, very good film.

gordiegords

It is of it's time though. It also should be remembered that many of the modern techniques aped in glossy, pretty modern films were established by old masters like Hitchcock, Kubrick, Welles, pushing and indeed inventing equipment to get shots that nowadays are taken for granted.

But technical prowess doesn't make a film better - Clash of The Titans orginal with it's awesome but obvious and dated Ray Harryhausen stop-motion creatures, or modern Clash of the Titans which, with state of the art cameras and cgi effects should be miles better. It's not tho.

Clash of the titans remake is a total howler of a movie, I quite fancy vertigo, annoyed that i missed it.

Yes it is of its time and is a very good film but it is dated. We live in the here and now, the vote for best film was last week. There have been better films which are either more recent or have stood the test of time better. I think modern techniques can perhaps make film makers lazy and over reliant on certain special effects but in general more advanced specal effects and modern techniques make the films more realistic and therefore better.

As for Clash of the Titans, I couldn't comment. Not my thing.

Both good films, with Vertigo edging it for me.

When in doubt, just grab the Shawshank Redemption DVD :thumbsup:

tokyowalnut

Strange, I watched Drive last night as well. Thought it was excellent, very intense, taught, brilliantly lit and directed and the soundtrack was perfect. Very, very good film.

Glad you agree! I spoke to a couple of mates today who didn't think much of it, they felt it was too slow! I actually enjoyed the pace of it, it had 'atmosphere' about it. Brilliant film, I'll probably watch it again pretty soon!

Re. Vertigo and this 'Best Movie Ever' recognition, you just have to look at the other movies in the top ten to get an understanding of the types of movies they voted for. I think the most recent movie on the list is Kubrick's Space Odyssey.

Airplane, Blazzing Saddles, The Dark Knight, The Shawshank Redemption, Jungle Book, Gladiator and Step Brothers are all favourites of mine, Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls is decent also (sorry if these aren't pretentious enough btw)

Archived