Paying solicitors fees

Guest Prentice

Guest Prentice

Looking for some fairly general advice on this one.

Looking to 'not pay' some sols fees as I was extremely unhappy with the service and charges. I'm going to go down the correct channels - log my complaint etc (in wiriting, detailing where I think things were mishandled).

What I want to know is what will happen if I don't pay? Can they arrest my wages or is it just a case of sending threatening letters and take me to court?

Thanks in advance

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Is this to do with the sale of a house?

If so you're fecked, I sold my house a few years ago in Edinburgh and the solicitors took the money off the proceeds before I even saw my dough.

Guest Prentice
Is this to do with the sale of a house?

If so you're fecked, I sold my house a few years ago in Edinburgh and the solicitors took the money off the proceeds before I even saw my dough.

That's a worry. It's a seperation agreement/transfer of title deeds. They havent indicated they will take their cut first. They have been a shambles from start to finish so it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

Miller Jambo 60
That's a worry. It's a seperation agreement/transfer of title deeds. They havent indicated they will take their cut first. They have been a shambles from start to finish so it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

Threaten to name and shame.

The People's Chimp

What i can say, and this is no reflection on the OP, is that the number of clients who dont pay solicitors is ludicrous. Or, they're happy to phone, request letters, ask for appointments, but not so happy when it comes to paying.

What i can say, and this is no reflection on the OP, is that the number of clients who dont pay solicitors is ludicrous. Or, they're happy to phone, request letters, ask for appointments, but not so happy when it comes to paying.

Perhaps if they gave a good service and didn't overcharge they wouldn't have a payment problem.

Looking to 'not pay' some sols fees as I was extremely unhappy with the service and charges. I'm going to go down the correct channels - log my complaint etc (in wiriting, detailing where I think things were mishandled).

What I want to know is what will happen if I don't pay? Can they arrest my wages or is it just a case of sending threatening letters and take me to court?

Thanks in advance

Solicitors are subject to exactly the same contract legislation as any other business.

As Blondie says, you also have the option of complaining to the Law Society.

Guest Prentice

I don't mind paying when I get the service I expect but I wont pay for extra letters/calls they have made when it's been their own mistakes in the first place. Also the problem with sols, or certainly in my current case, is they cannot give me any indication of total costs at all will be.

I really do feel they have created work for themselves thus being able to charge more (fortunately I am able to prove this..........but whether anything will come of it)

I know you werent having a go at me personally but maybe those are a couple of reasons why solicitors wouldn't receive payment.

Guest Prentice
Solicitors are subject to exactly the same contract legislation as any other business.

As Blondie says, you also have the option of complaining to the Law Society.

Thanks to everyone who replied, and thanks for the link BJT.

coppercrutch
Perhaps if they gave a good service and didn't overcharge they wouldn't have a payment problem.

We are in agreement on this one !! I have not heard one person at my work talking about a decent one. Every single dealing they have seems to be a nightmare. Is it true that they usually keep a payment for a house in their own bank for a few weeks to gain interest ?!!

I heard that from a builder but thought it was too ridiculous to be true.

Is it true that they usually keep a payment for a house in their own bank for a few weeks to gain interest ?!!

Assuming we are talking in general terms, that is not true.

coppercrutch
Assuming we are talking in general terms, that is not true.

I was wondering. Is this something that a select few dodgy solicitors have been known to do though ? This builder was not joking as far as i could tell.

I was wondering. Is this something that a select few dodgy solicitors have been known to do though ? This builder was not joking as far as i could tell.

I have no idea, but in a normal sale, the seller gets the money the day they had the keys over. If the buyer gives the money early, and allows the solicitor to collect interest on it, more fool them - if they are being funded by a mortgage, the lender isn't going to let that happen, generally speaking.

coppercrutch
I have no idea, but in a normal sale, the seller gets the money the day they had the keys over. If the buyer gives the money early, and allows the solicitor to collect interest on it, more fool them - if they are being funded by a mortgage, the lender isn't going to let that happen, generally speaking.

Cheers. This was a deal with a builder on a new property. They told the builder when they would be depositing the cheque with the solicitor in a couple of days. The builder told them it would not be a shock if they had to wait for a few weeks to get it. They explained why and then the person asked if they could just give the cheque direct to the builder. They said they had to deal through the solicitor for some reason. Legalities ?

Cheers. This was a deal with a builder on a new property. They told the builder when they would be depositing the cheque with the solicitor in a couple of days. The builder told them it would not be a shock if they had to wait for a few weeks to get it. They explained why and then the person asked if they could just give the cheque direct to the builder. They said they had to deal through the solicitor for some reason. Legalities ?

The builder was wanting a buyer to give them a cheque directly for a new build flat, rather than go through the solicitor? Hmmm.

As I say, in general terms, the answer to the question you asked is no. However, new builds are a whole different ball game, and when it comes to problems with delays etc., payment from your solicitor to the builder is the least of your worries.

A lot depends on what you want and to what effect

If you simply want to complain, write a letter to them

If you want to make a formal complaint for investigation write to the law society, especially if you want money etc

What to remember is theres a big difference between incompetence and just not doing things the way the often unqualified client wants

You also need to remember you dont have the legal knowledge so there may have been legal practice which dictated their moves

You have 2 rights 1) them to follow commands as an agent and 2) expect them to provide a competent service - basics

You have to show one of these werent done to have a legal complaint and your "opinion" isnt enough, a qualified legal practitioner would have to agree with you

Also remember any compensation is limited to your losses, i.e not money for worry etc

Unless your financial loss or other issues are substantial it may be a lot of hassle

You certainly shouldnt withhold all the fees and pay them for what you agree with at the very least, if not all and claim back if your sucessful

If you do lose and withhold fees then they will be perfectly correct to take you to court for damages, although probably wouldnt for PR reasons

coppercrutch
The builder was wanting a buyer to give them a cheque directly for a new build flat, rather than go through the solicitor? Hmmm.

As I say, in general terms, the answer to the question you asked is no. However, new builds are a whole different ball game, and when it comes to problems with delays etc., payment from your solicitor to the builder is the least of your worries.

No the buyer was wanting to give a cheque directly. The builder would not have it because they wanted to go through a solicitor. That is why when the builder told the story about solicitors holding on to cheques there was no reason to doubt them.

No the buyer was wanting to give a cheque directly. The builder would not have it because they wanted to go through a solicitor. That is why when the builder told the story about solicitors holding on to cheques there was no reason to doubt them.

Ah, I misinterpreted your post, despite its clarity. I thought it was a bit odd...

Chip Douglas

Thanks in advance

Depends on the level of fees we're talking about here. I don't mean to sound vague but legals relating to marriage separations are notoriously laborious and I don't think there are many Firms out there who'll give you a capped fee, it's just not the nature of the work.

If you think your case has been mishandled and you have due cause rather than simply frustration at the length of time things are taking, then you can effectively ask for an audit of your fees at the end of the day.

You'll then get a feel for what you've been charged for. Solicitors might be expensive but most competent Firms should be time recording and should be able to provide a breakdown as to what they have done for you.

MacDonald Jardine
I don't mind paying when I get the service I expect but I wont pay for extra letters/calls they have made when it's been their own mistakes in the first place. Also the problem with sols, or certainly in my current case, is they cannot give me any indication of total costs at all will be.

I really do feel they have created work for themselves thus being able to charge more (fortunately I am able to prove this..........but whether anything will come of it)

I know you werent having a go at me personally but maybe those are a couple of reasons why solicitors wouldn't receive payment.

How do you expect them to do that when the level of work is in large part dependent on the response of your ex partner?

We are in agreement on this one !! I have not heard one person at my work talking about a decent one. Every single dealing they have seems to be a nightmare. Is it true that they usually keep a payment for a house in their own bank for a few weeks to gain interest ?!!

I heard that from a builder but thought it was too ridiculous to be true.

wasn't the case when i sold my flat. took the usual 3 days or so for the money to reach my account though.

its with regret that i couldn't keep hold of my old solicitor due to moving as he was definately one of the good ones

coppercrutch
wasn't the case when i sold my flat. took the usual 3 days or so for the money to reach my account though.

its with regret that i couldn't keep hold of my old solicitor due to moving as he was definately one of the good ones

You clearly done well !!

Most of the bigger firms have a Senior Partner that is tasked with dealing with complaints and customer service issues and usually they seek to resolve any issues amicably. If unable to resolve the complaint that way - the Law Society is your last option.

Archived