Flags and fire safety?

Gav Aitchison

Gav Aitchison

We took our York Hearts flag to Rotherham yesterday, but were told we couldn't take it into the stand without a fire safety certificate. We had to leave it at reception and it seemed a number of others had been turned away too, as the reception area had a fair bundle.

Have others come across this before and is it easy enough to obtain a certificate from a local fire station?

I have never heard of a flag not being admitted for those reasons. Seems a bit OTT to me. Youre going to look like a complete twerp turning up at a fire station and asking for a certificate for a flag btw.

Jambof3tornado

apparently some flag makers are now charging a fee to issue a safety certificate with newly made flags. You can get a spray on flame retardant chemical to apply but not sure after that how to get a certificate.

Italians have flares galore and we cant take a flag into a ground in case it spontaneously combusts!!!

kylelauren01

Got the Dunfermline & District flag in yesterday, pride of place on Sky Sports when Hearts scored :thumbsup: Guy asked what was in the bag, I told him and he never mentioned fire retardancy....flag tied up and no stewards queried it either. :thumbsup:

Gav Aitchison

Got the Dunfermline & District flag in yesterday, pride of place on Sky Sports when Hearts scored :thumbsup: Guy asked what was in the bag, I told him and he never mentioned fire retardancy....flag tied up and no stewards queried it either. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I saw the Dunfy and Dumfries ones had got in! Reception seemed to have confiscated about half a dozen though.

Hopefully North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue can save the day!

Unfortunatey you are now required a fire safety certificate for flags over a certain size. This law has been in force for a few years now. I am sure one would have been required for the big flag we had at Hampden, can someone confirm?

colinmaroon

We took our York Hearts flag to Rotherham yesterday, but were told we couldn't take it into the stand without a fire safety certificate. We had to leave it at reception and it seemed a number of others had been turned away too, as the reception area had a fair bundle.

Have others come across this before and is it easy enough to obtain a certificate from a local fire station?

How to take all the atmosphere out of a football stadium - Lesson 122. :down:

I have it on good authority, for H & S reasons, from season 2012-13 fans will no longer be allowed into games!

This country's heid is up its bahoochie!

Dean Winchester

Unfortunatey you are now required a fire safety certificate for flags over a certain size. This law has been in force for a few years now. I am sure one would have been required for the big flag we had at Hampden, can someone confirm?

No idea if it was shown when we took it in but we where told we needed one in our correspondence with Hampden. I'm sure it came with one from the people who made it though. :thumbsup:

scots civil war

the stadia is concrete and steel(that lot will be fireproof n all)

no one is smoking

therefore wtf is the problem eh

******* sad one that,utterly ludicrous....who legislates this ******* tosh

btw,you can get spray stuff for cloth,i used to spray me backdrops for my clubnights in london .got it from theatrical suppliers

SpikeDudley

I'm going to set myself on fire in protest.

my clothes don't have a fire safety cetificate :o

Same thing happened with the Portobello Hearts flag.

Absolute fecking joke.

kylelauren01

Personally I'm glad of this, all those burning flags has really spoiled my enjoyment of the football experience :whistling:

Jambof3tornado

I'm going to set myself on fire in protest.

my clothes don't have a fire safety cetificate :o

Bet they do!!! Check the label on your pants!!!

The Fat Protester

Talking of burning flags, does anyone remember the banner of Phressley they used to have at Tynie?

That turned out to definitely be flammable!

Gregory House M.D.

Italians are dropping Vespa mopeds on rival fans while the whole place is ablaze with flares...

Meanwhile, in britain...

Gav Aitchison

An update, for anyone interested....

Went to our locla fire station today, and was directed to the Community Safety team. They'd never heard of this happening and said it wasn't something they'd deal with. They said the original manufacturers could issue a certificate (sadly, in our case, they've shut down). Or apparently you can pay a firm to treat it with fire-retardant spray, and they can sort certification.

Brosing online, have found similar rules being enforced in the past at Swansea, Leicester, Coventry, Old Rangers and Hampden.

Very much hope this doesn't become the norm across the board.

Lots of flags in London at the moment do you think they know of this rule?

Or does it only apply to football fans!!!

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

I stole one of those wee green stickers when I was at Uni and stuck it to the kettle I had in my room in halls.

Try that.

Bet they do!!! Check the label on your pants!!!

Cut the label out yer pants then and sew it to your flag!

An update, for anyone interested....

Went to our locla fire station today, and was directed to the Community Safety team. They'd never heard of this happening and said it wasn't something they'd deal with. They said the original manufacturers could issue a certificate (sadly, in our case, they've shut down). Or apparently you can pay a firm to treat it with fire-retardant spray, and they can sort certification.

Brosing online, have found similar rules being enforced in the past at Swansea, Leicester, Coventry, Old Rangers and Hampden.

Very much hope this doesn't become the norm across the board.

Never had a problem before and think that Saturday seems to be a one off due to the fact that it was a new stadium and they were trying to do everything by the book. Might need to look into getting this done anyway to avoid it happening again.

Lombardia Jambo

I had the very same problem at Tynecastle for the Scottish Cup winner party in 2006 for our Lombardia Hearts banner. Ironically, the day before, I brought it inside Hampden (as I did this year) and nobody stopped me or asked me anything ! :whistling:

I work in H&S. THis is a load of bollocks. More like they are using the 'elf and safety' myth when all they want to do is cover their own arses in the event of an insurance claim somehow.

JamboRossi79

Had the same thing with our flag on last game of season at Tynie, spoke to steward who asked for the certificate, told him it had been all round Europe and in Tynie before so he checked with his supervisor and let us in with it.

kylelauren01

Never had a problem before and think that Saturday seems to be a one off due to the fact that it was a new stadium and they were trying to do everything by the book. Might need to look into getting this done anyway to avoid it happening again.

No, it would appear not as the flags were getting kb'd at Raith friendly for the same reason. Looks like this will be the case across the board....

Archived