"The Doctor Who Hears Voices"

Commander Harris

Commander Harris

Did anyone else see this dramatised documentary on channel 4 earlier on tonight?

It followed a young doctor suffering from severe mental health problems and the "maverick" psychologist that she was seeing.

I'm still mulling it over but I was wondering what others that saw it thought about the programme.

Am actually really interested in what other people thought about this.

Will post my proper thoughts at somepoint tomorrow, however, one thing that really confused me...

She said that her brother died when she was 15 and then later in her letter said that that was 6 years ago, so that would make her 21.

Yet she was supposedly a junior doctor, so must have gone through at least 5 years of med school...meaning she started Uni when she was 16?? Which wouldn't happen anyway but she was talking about being at school at 17.

That just didn't all seem to fit with me :confused:

Commander Harris
Am actually really interested in what other people thought about this.

Will post my proper thoughts at somepoint tomorrow, however, one thing that really confused me...

She said that her brother died when she was 15 and then later in her letter said that that was 6 years ago, so that would make her 21.

Yet she was supposedly a junior doctor, so must have gone through at least 5 years of med school...meaning she started Uni when she was 16?? Which wouldn't happen anyway but she was talking about being at school at 17.

That just didn't all seem to fit with me :confused:

I imagine any incosistency in the ages/timescales might be down to some of the details being changed to protect her identity?

Thought it was an excellent prog,

I dint really know enough about mental ilness to comment, I do know one person who suffered / suffers from Schizophrenia and the medication they are on, probably for the rest of there life does leave them in a state of numbness which really doesnt leave them with too much.

Is it right, well if they are a risk to themselfs or others i suppose it is.

The psychologist (did they confirm he was one) in the programme took massive risks, was interesting to hear the Snr psychiatrist admit that mental illness shouldnt be answered honestly on a job application.

doctor jambo

The youngest you can start work is now 23

it was 22- ie start uni at 17

there is now a stipulation that you need to be 18 at least to commence the course

I graduated at 23- still way too young IMHO

And as for the mental health problems is Drs- nothing new

Each year at medical school loses on average one student to suicide

OUr year had an anorexic (end stage) and the year below had a guy who used to sit in lectures with a paper bag over his head with a large black cross drawn on it- he ended up detained under the Mental Health Act during his psychiatric block for donning his bag whilst consulting with a patient

Commander Harris

ok, after having time to mull things over I'll post my thoughts:

firstly, while Rufus May might have a point about the validity of using the psychotic experience as a basis for some kind of analysis I think the way in which he did this was highly irresponsible and dangerous. To give so much freedom to an unmedicated patient with psychosis could have had disastrous consequences. If such an approach is going to be used I think it would probably have to be in an inpatient setting where the patient could be closely monitored and kept in a relatively safe environment.

I thought the scenes where the girl went missing and May is in the car with the filmmaker were possibly very revealing. May seemed to be questioning his whole approach and almost attributing it to his past experiences and a reaction against being denied his freedom when he was unwell.

I also had huge reservations over the girl being advised to lie to her review board, this is just plain wrong and again could have had severe consequences. To a lesser extent I thought that the Psychiatrist openly saying that people should not disclose a mental illness on an application form was also irresponsible. While I can understand why people would be afraid of discrimination when applying for a job, if someone was not to disclose an illness and later become unwell they would not have the same protection in law as if they had disclosed their illness.

doctor jambo

We are bound by the GMC to disclose any illness that may affect patients

The patients come first- before our own well being

I would think that florid psychosis would most definately fall within this remit

To fail in that disclosure would lead to suspension, both for the yound Doc involved and the psychiatrist who also has an obligation to disclose it if he is aware that there is non-disclosure

Commander Harris
The youngest you can start work is now 23

it was 22- ie start uni at 17

there is now a stipulation that you need to be 18 at least to commence the course

I graduated at 23- still way too young IMHO

And as for the mental health problems is Drs- nothing new

Each year at medical school loses on average one student to suicide

Our year had an anorexic (end stage) and the year below had a guy who used to sit in lectures with a paper bag over his head with a large black cross drawn on it- he ended up detained under the Mental Health Act during his psychiatric block for donning his bag whilst consulting with a patient

agreed. I don't know if you saw the programme so my OP was probably a bit unclear. The angle the documentary was taking wasn't simply that there was a doctor with mental health problems but it was focusing on the "treatment" that she was receiving from the psychologist Rufus May. An unconventional approach, no medication and almost embracing the psychotic experience as some kind of tool for analysis.

ok, after having time to mull things over I'll post my thoughts:

firstly, while Rufus May might have a point about the validity of using the psychotic experience as a basis for some kind of analysis I think the way in which he did this was highly irresponsible and dangerous. To give so much freedom to an unmedicated patient with psychosis could have had disastrous consequences. If such an approach is going to be used I think it would probably have to be in an inpatient setting where the patient could be closely monitored and kept in a relatively safe environment.

I thought the scenes where the girl went missing and May is in the car with the filmmaker were possibly very revealing. May seemed to be questioning his whole approach and almost attributing it to his past experiences and a reaction against being denied his freedom when he was unwell.

I also had huge reservations over the girl being advised to lie to her review board, this is just plain wrong and again could have had severe consequences. To a lesser extent I thought that the Psychiatrist openly saying that people should not disclose a mental illness on an application form was also irresponsible. While I can understand why people would be afraid of discrimination when applying for a job, if someone was not to disclose an illness and later become unwell they would not have the same protection in law as if they had disclosed their illness.

I'd disagree with this part.

People say age, mental illness etc isnt frowned apon when applying for a job... it is, no matter what people say.

The stigma attached to mental illness is shocking, I think those suffering from mental illness should be open to emplyers but not future employers.

Once they are employed then yes its fine but on an application form, no chance.

doctor jambo

People say age, mental illness etc isnt frowned apon when applying for a job... it is, no matter what people say.

The stigma attached to mental illness is shocking, I think those suffering from mental illness should be open to emplyers but not future employers.

It depends what you do for a living, I suppose.

Yes the stigma is wrong, but in this case the young lady should not have been working - end of

And the knowledge that someone has this illness , whilst should not preclude someone gaining employment- it should be the correct employment (or i nthis case a sub speciality that requires little patient contact) to ensure the safety of the public- ie a nice lab job somewhere

Commander Harris

I totally agree that there is a huge stigma attached to mental illness - and it is a complete disgrace. All I was saying is that if you don't disclose when applying you could be putting yourself in a very difficult position if you do become unwell.

I could totally understand someone not wanting to disclose for fear of not getting a job but the way to challenge stigma isn't to hide - it's attitudes in occupational health that need to change.

I totally agree that there is a huge stigma attached to mental illness - and it is a complete disgrace. All I was saying is that if you don't disclose when applying you could be putting yourself in a very difficult position if you do become unwell.

I could totally understand someone not wanting to disclose for fear of not getting a job but the way to challenge stigma isn't to hide - it's attitudes in occupational health that need to change.

Disclose after you have started.

Every employee should recieve a medical form to complete and this is where it should be disclosed as long as you have signed the contract.

Attitudes can take centuries to change, procedures can take minutes.

After some reflection I think the the whole thing was irresponsible. At the point where she disappeared, if she had killed herself then whose fault would it have been? She had a psychologist encouraging her manic behaviour and a guy following her around all the time to make a story about her.

At several points the narrator questioned the safety of the whole thing, yet he made no attempt to do anything about it. I question whether he would be happy being treated by a doctor with a mental illness such as this? Yet he knew that she was lying to the medical board to get her job back and start treating patients again.

The psychologist showed that he knew he was doing the wrong thing when she went missing. He starting questioning his methods and whether he had a chip on his shoulder about the way he had been treated. Even so, I found some of his opinions very worrying.

He said that nobody was in any danger apart from herself. Yet she had a voice in her head telling her to kill him, her parents and the medical board conducting her interview.

She thought she had found the cure to AIDS. The psychologist seemed to find this very funny and questioned what harm it would do to anyone. If she told any patient that she could cure them when she actually couldn't I imagine it would cause quite a lot of harm.

Throughout the programme I didn't feel there was any particular improvement in her condition. I would even question whether there actually was at the end. She was back at work, but said she still heard the voice and when asked if she thought she had more power over it now she hesitated for several seconds before answering.

All in all I thought it was a dangerous way to deal with her condition. She ran in front of a truck at one point and could easily have been run over!

Drugs may not be an ideal solution, but at the end of the day she had been on medication for bipolar disease for a couple of years, and had qualified and been practicing as a doctor in that time. They did not make her 'stupid', as the psychologist suggested.

It depends what you do for a living, I suppose.

Yes the stigma is wrong, but in this case the young lady should not have been working - end of

And the knowledge that someone has this illness , whilst should not preclude someone gaining employment- it should be the correct employment (or i nthis case a sub speciality that requires little patient contact) to ensure the safety of the public- ie a nice lab job somewhere

Yeh that was due to the fact she should have been sectioned.

This may sound mad but in reply to Medico...

If some one hears voices but can differentiate between the voices and her thoughts then I think they should be allowed to work where they want and live a normal life, if they can.

Re the drugs that may have made her stupid.... just because she passed exams doesnt mean she is not stupid.

I think he was anti people being numbed from natural feelings and thoughts rather than academically.

Commander Harris
After some reflection I think the the whole thing was irresponsible. At the point where she disappeared, if she had killed herself then whose fault would it have been? She had a psychologist encouraging her manic behaviour and a guy following her around all the time to make a story about her.

At several points the narrator questioned the safety of the whole thing, yet he made no attempt to do anything about it. I question whether he would be happy being treated by a doctor with a mental illness such as this? Yet he knew that she was lying to the medical board to get her job back and start treating patients again.

The psychologist showed that he knew he was doing the wrong thing when she went missing. He starting questioning his methods and whether he had a chip on his shoulder about the way he had been treated. Even so, I found some of his opinions very worrying.

He said that nobody was in any danger apart from herself. Yet she had a voice in her head telling her to kill him, her parents and the medical board conducting her interview.

She thought she had found the cure to AIDS. The psychologist seemed to find this very funny and questioned what harm it would do to anyone. If she told any patient that she could cure them when she actually couldn't I imagine it would cause quite a lot of harm.

Throughout the programme I didn't feel there was any particular improvement in her condition. I would even question whether there actually was at the end. She was back at work, but said she still heard the voice and when asked if she thought she had more power over it now she hesitated for several seconds before answering.

All in all I thought it was a dangerous way to deal with her condition. She ran in front of a truck at one point and could easily have been run over!

Drugs may not be an ideal solution, but at the end of the day she had been on medication for bipolar disease for a couple of years, and had qualified and been practicing as a doctor in that time. They did not make her 'stupid', as the psychologist suggested.

that would pretty much be my thoughts too.

what do you think about using such an approach in an inpatient setting. do you think there could be something of benefit in analysing the psychotic experience but in a safer, more controlled setting?

This may sound mad but in reply to Medico...

If some one hears voices but can differentiate between the voices and her thoughts then I think they should be allowed to work where they want and live a normal life, if they can.

Re the drugs that may have made her stupid.... just because she passed exams doesnt mean she is not stupid.

I think he was anti people being numbed from natural feelings and thoughts rather than academically.

I think to an extent yes people should be allowed to do the job they want and lead a normal life, but within reason. From this programme alone i thought it was very unlikely that there would be such a drastic change in the final month or two, when for the rest of the year she had been deteriorating if anything. For that reason I didn't think it was safe for her to be back working as a doctor and treating patients.

Yes mental illness is stigmatised, but within the medical profession I feel that if someone is not in a sound state of mind then they should not be making potentially life-threatening decisions about other people.

As for the drugs, they may have numbed her, but I am inclined to believe she would get more pleasure from a social setting in that state than during her manic episodes which others would be bound to notice and judge her due to them.

Commander Harris
I think to an extent yes people should be allowed to do the job they want and lead a normal life, but within reason. From this programme alone i thought it was very unlikely that there would be such a drastic change in the final month or two, when for the rest of the year she had been deteriorating if anything. For that reason I didn't think it was safe for her to be back working as a doctor and treating patients.

Yes mental illness is stigmatised, but within the medical profession I feel that if someone is not in a sound state of mind then they should not be making potentially life-threatening decisions about other people.

As for the drugs, they may have numbed her, but I am inclined to believe she would get more pleasure from a social setting in that state than during her manic episodes which others would be bound to notice and judge her due to them.

indeed. It's a balancing act. All medications for any condition have their side effects, I'd say that in this case the side effects were the lesser of two evils, by quite a margin.

What about crane drivers? Stock brokers? Train Drivers? All have the power to make life and death decisions.

I agree, the time scales didnt match, shouldnt have been back working and poss should have been monitored for a while before going back in to work.

I also agree she prob wouldnt have felt happy off the medicine at first but if she learnt how to deal with the emotions that were brought on by the illness she prob could have been happy rather than supressed, no sex life, feeling of excitement etc...

Was a great programme which obviously done a great job in striking up a debate.

indeed. It's a balancing act. All medications for any condition have their side effects, I'd say that in this case the side effects were the lesser of two evils, by quite a margin.

Ah but if there used to supress rather than adress the issues then the drug could be viewed as the bigger evil long term.

Alot of mental patients never come off there drugs.

Commander Harris
Ah but if there used to supress rather than adress the issues then the drug could be viewed as the bigger evil long term.

Alot of mental patients never come off there drugs.

that is presuming there is an issue that needs addressing, which would not necessarily always be the case.

We don't really understand Bipolar Disorder but there is a definite genetic factor and some people are predisposed to having those kinds of mood swings, both depression and elation. While there may be psychological factors in triggering an episode or in the way episodes are experienced by an individual the underlying cause is a physical one and one that requires treatment by drugs to help.

while it is true that a lot of patients do not come off drugs it is also true that, generally speaking, these drugs allow people to function a lot more than if they were unmedicated.

To use a non-psychiatric example, a person with thyroid problems may have to take thyroid medication for the rest of his life because of a physical problem with the thyroid gland - it wouldn't be advisable for such a person to abandon his medication and just try and cope with the symptoms.

What about crane drivers? Stock brokers? Train Drivers? All have the power to make life and death decisions.

I agree, the time scales didnt match, shouldnt have been back working and poss should have been monitored for a while before going back in to work.

I also agree she prob wouldnt have felt happy off the medicine at first but if she learnt how to deal with the emotions that were brought on by the illness she prob could have been happy rather than supressed, no sex life, feeling of excitement etc...

Was a great programme which obviously done a great job in striking up a debate.

Absolutely, I only commented on the medical profession because that was what this case was about. There are many jobs in which someone with a severe mental disorder could cause serious damage if it is not under control, but surely that is the reason that the employer should be told before the person is given the job?

Which is also why this doctor would not have been given her job back if it was known that she did not necessarily have it under control - because its not safe.

I also agree that if it was possible to learn to deal with them emotions then this would lead to a better outcome. However, from the 12 months of her life that we saw, I would not say that this person did learn to deal with them (I don't think it is possible to comment on the end since we were shown a two minute clip of her in an organised meeting). Maybe if different methods were tried to help people to learn to deal with the disorder the outcome would have been better.

Would be interesting to see what she is like after a couple of years.

Absolutely, I only commented on the medical profession because that was what this case was about. There are many jobs in which someone with a severe mental disorder could cause serious damage if it is not under control, but surely that is the reason that the employer should be told before the person is given the job?

Which is also why this doctor would not have been given her job back if it was known that she did not necessarily have it under control - because its not safe.

I also agree that if it was possible to learn to deal with them emotions then this would lead to a better outcome. However, from the 12 months of her life that we saw, I would not say that this person did learn to deal with them (I don't think it is possible to comment on the end since we were shown a two minute clip of her in an organised meeting). Maybe if different methods were tried to help people to learn to deal with the disorder the outcome would have been better.

Would be interesting to see what she is like after a couple of years.

This is the point.... if the person is suffering but dealing with it with out acting on the thoughts / feelings, surely the mental illness wouldnt effect the way the job was carried out.

I agree its almost un scaleable but I think thats one of the main points behind the documentary.

doctor jambo
This is the point.... if the person is suffering but dealing with it with out acting on the thoughts / feelings, surely the mental illness wouldnt effect the way the job was carried out.

I agree its almost un scaleable but I think thats one of the main points behind the documentary.

Wrong Kenny, with the highs in bipolar people get an overwhelming confidence in their own ability and an impulsiveness that they cannot control. In medical situations this can lead to fatal blunders- carrying out procedures you would not normally attempt and giving medications etc incorrectly- this can be fatal,

Also true bipolar they are unaware that they are not well- they lack "insight" into thier illness, so they are acting without any kind of self regulation of behaviour

Manic phase bipolars get into a lot of trouble with rash financial decisions, loss of sexual and social inhibitions and all sorts

Often the medications "normalise " them, but they miss the endless energy and excitement of being high, so feel sedated when in fact they are merely not manic

MAny want to be off their meds so they can be high again- a huge problem

Wrong Kenny, with the highs in bipolar people get an overwhelming confidence in their own ability and an impulsiveness that they cannot control. In medical situations this can lead to fatal blunders- carrying out procedures you would not normally attempt and giving medications etc incorrectly- this can be fatal,

Also true bipolar they are unaware that they are not well- they lack "insight" into thier illness, so they are acting without any kind of self regulation of behaviour

Manic phase bipolars get into a lot of trouble with rash financial decisions, loss of sexual and social inhibitions and all sorts

Often the medications "normalise " them, but they miss the endless energy and excitement of being high, so feel sedated when in fact they are merely not manic

MAny want to be off their meds so they can be high again- a huge problem

Sorry I had digressed back to Schizophrenia.... but to comment, surely those with bi-polar have been known to overcome these feelings which were once uncontrollable.

Think your last comments a tad sweeping.... if the only problem is uncontrollable highs why would they go for counseling.

Commander Harris
Sorry I had digressed back to Schizophrenia.... but to comment, surely those with bi-polar have been known to overcome these feelings which were once uncontrollable.

Think your last comments a tad sweeping.... if the only problem is uncontrollable highs why would they go for counseling.

DJ is correct in that a lot of people with bipolar disorder do miss their highs and stop taking their medication as a result of this. I don't think he was saying the only problem is uncontrollable highs and often when a person is manic they would not seek any kind of treatment as they would not realise that they were ill. Unless there were dysphoric aspects to their mania they probably wouldn't seek treatment in that phase of their illness unless they had the insight to recognise that something was wrong.

doctor jambo

Some do and some dont is the honest answer, and the counselling is to deal with stressors that can be a trigger for psychosis

There is plenty research that shows a stable stress free environment reduces relapse, adn also psychotherapy to enable them to deal with stress better

keeps them better for longer

But the crux of the matter is that when psychotic they dont know they are ill- ever- by definition. If they know they are ill, they are not psychotic

to be psychotic you need an unshakeable belief that the voices etc are real, and not a figment of your mind

DJ is correct in that a lot of people with bipolar disorder do miss their highs and stop taking their medication as a result of this. I don't think he was saying the only problem is uncontrollable highs and often when a person is manic they would not seek any kind of treatment as they would not realise that they were ill. Unless there were dysphoric aspects to their mania they probably wouldn't seek treatment in that phase of their illness unless they had the insight to recognise that something was wrong.

Ah you have picked me up wrong, I should have highlighted the word WRONG in his response.

I was saying that I wasnt wrong in my point as you have backed me up... seee your bold statement.... people with Bipolar can find themselfs in a situation where they can control the feelings and it is then that they should be allowed to carry on with there lifes.

Commander Harris
Ah you have picked me up wrong, I should have highlighted the word WRONG in his response.

I was saying that I wasnt wrong in my point as you have backed me up... seee your bold statement.... people with Bipolar can find themselfs in a situation where they can control the feelings and it is then that they should be allowed to carry on with there lifes.

agreed, there are many people who have bipolar disorder that are able to function fine. It is an episodic illness so there will be times, sometimes years, when they are able to function as well as the next man.

But almost inevitably episodes return and when someone is experiencing such an episode they can find it very hard to function and require treatment.

If someone is ill but not to the extent where it effects their ability to function then of course they should be able to carry on with their lives. But often a persons ability to function properly is impaired and at those times medical treatment is the best option.

agreed, there are many people who have bipolar disorder that are able to function fine. It is an episodic illness so there will be times, sometimes years, when they are able to function as well as the next man.

But almost inevitably episodes return and when someone is experiencing such an episode they can find it very hard to function and require treatment.

If someone is ill but not to the extent where it effects their ability to function then of course they should be able to carry on with their lives. But often a persons ability to function properly is impaired and at those times medical treatment is the best option.

hehe, sorry for sounding like I'm twisting this but...

Thats my point, people believe that it will almost certainly return.... shouldnt the person suffering be given the same right to function with out people carrying the fear that it could return?

If this is the case that we cant let the people progress, we'll be in an awful mess once DNA mapping become the norm, year 2089, every one will be feared as its almost certain every one will have something in there genes that could haunt them thus making them unemployable.

People need to be judged on how they are present not how they are future.

Commander Harris
hehe, sorry for sounding like I'm twisting this but...

Thats my point, people believe that it will almost certainly return.... shouldnt the person suffering be given the same right to function with out people carrying the fear that it could return?

If this is the case that we cant let the people progress, we'll be in an awful mess once DNA mapping become the norm, year 2089, every one will be feared as its almost certain every one will have something in there genes that could haunt them thus making them unemployable.

People need to be judged on how they are present not how they are future.

I think we're in total agreement Kenny! we're just coming at it from a slightly different angle.

I completely agree that people should be judged on how they are in the present, not on some label that they may have. I'm just trying to emphasise that for the individual, medication is an important factor in staying well and that when someone is unwell I believe that medication is an important part of their treatment.

I think we're in total agreement Kenny! we're just coming at it from a slightly different angle.

I completely agree that people should be judged on how they are in the present, not on some label that they may have. I'm just trying to emphasise that for the individual, medication is an important factor in staying well and that when someone is unwell I believe that medication is an important part of their treatment.

Completely agree....

in the same way treatment should be handled differently in each individual case, something I think is slightly over looked in this country leading to people recieving the wrong treatement and sometimes the easiest treatment from the system.

Cheers for helping my day at work pass quicker.

Commander Harris
Completely agree....

in the same way treatment should be handled differently in each individual case, something I think is slightly over looked in this country leading to people recieving the wrong treatement and sometimes the easiest treatment from the system.

Cheers for helping my day at work pass quicker.

you have a great point here. I think the NHS, and the way in which treatments are funded in this country, has a lot to answer for here.

Often the cheapest drugs are used in treating psychosis but they are not necessarily the best drugs for the job. For example, the old "typical" anti-psychotics are often used in hospitals as they are relatively inexpensive. These types of drugs are generally heavily sedating and have other side effects that can cause significant problems for the patients, dulling the mind, shuffling about the place etc.

Also, due to lack of funding there are huge waiting lists for psychologists so treatments are often one-dimensional and focus only on drug therapy. I think any approach that focuses either soley on the psychological(as the Doctor in the documentary did) or soley on drugs(as is often the case in the NHS) has its problems - a more rounded approach is needed.

I think the lack of funding has a lot to do with the stigma attached to mental illness, it is not a fashionable cause and as such suffers when it comes to funding.

as for helping making your day pass faster, I'm glad I could help :)

Archived