virgin

Hibee Hater

Hibee Hater

How useless are there call centers. My broadband is really slow supposed to be getting 20 mbps but barely getting 5. Anyone know what i could do?

The people on the call centers are not helping at all.

How useless are there call centers. My broadband is really slow supposed to be getting 20 mbps but barely getting 5. Anyone know what i could do?

The people on the call centers are not helping at all.

Youre not supposed to be getting 20, youre supposed to be getting UP TO 20. Theres nothing theyll do for you as they can only give you what your line supports. Im on Skys up to 20 and just getting over 3. Its shocking, but as i said, nothing they can do about it.

Hibee Hater

Youre not supposed to be getting 20, youre supposed to be getting UP TO 20. Theres nothing theyll do for you as they can only give you what your line supports. Im on Skys up to 20 and just getting over 3. Its shocking, but as i said, nothing they can do about it.

Its a recent problem, last month or so, i used to get 19mbps when i was in my room now i'm barely getting 5 right next to the router.

The Great Khali

That's not right is it? I'm with sky and been told I should be getting Between, not up to. 13 and 20.

I phone sky a few weeks ago as my internet plummeted to 0.5, the lassie gave me a few home tests to try and when they didn't work they were going to send someone to my home. They were really helpful.

Managed to fix it though. The mrs accidentally pulled one of the wires out and plugged it back into the wrong bit :facepalm:

But my point is if you phone Sky and explain, then I'm sure they'll help you :thumbsup:

Notorious BIG

My virgin broadband is a pain in the a*** Ive vented my anger in numerous threads about it, I cant have anyone on my Internet connection when im playing Xbox or I get lag, I very rarely get passed 10 meg and sometimes it sits at 0.72 or something :verymad: The amount of times its went down completely and to be told by one advisor it'll be say 2 days to fix then another tells me 4 hours, Very very poor customer service

and before anyone tells me to go to SKY or that, Its my dad that pays it but the only part of the package he uses is the TV, Not the broadband, So trying to explain this all to him is a waste of time :lol:

Rarely had a problem with my Virgin Broadband, usually getting speeds of 18-20 on my 'up to' 20mb. Any time there has been a problem, its usually been rectified fairly sharpish with a credit onto my account.

:smuggy:

<br /><br />

<br />

Youre not supposed to be getting 20, youre supposed to be getting UP TO 20. Theres nothing theyll do for you as they can only give you what your line supports. Im on Skys up to 20 and just getting over 3. Its shocking, but as i said, nothing they can do about it.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

That's for ASDL broadband though (i.e. the shite kind)

Most virgin broadband is cable fibreoptic (i.e. the not shite kind) so for Virgin: 20mb should be very close to 20mb.

OP: If you've been downloading a lot recently they may be throttling you.

The Comedian

Rarely had a problem with my Virgin Broadband, usually getting speeds of 18-20 on my 'up to' 20mb. Any time there has been a problem, its usually been rectified fairly sharpish with a credit onto my account.

:smuggy:

:muggy:

Below half a meg here in Duloch which was rated 2nd worst for broadband speeds in the UK. Twenty meg sounds good. Raspers with 100 meg an that GTF...

<br /><br />

<br />

Youre not supposed to be getting 20, youre supposed to be getting UP TO 20. Theres nothing theyll do for you as they can only give you what your line supports. Im on Skys up to 20 and just getting over 3. Its shocking, but as i said, nothing they can do about it.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

That's for ASDL broadband though (i.e. the shite kind)

Most virgin broadband is cable fibreoptic (i.e. the not shite kind) so for Virgin: 20mb should be very close to 20mb.

OP: If you've been downloading a lot recently they may be throttling you.

Greedy_Jambo

I'm getting 9mb aslong as nobody else is connected. As soon as the bursd goes on her laptop i'm toiling.

Below half a meg here in Duloch which was rated 2nd worst for broadband speeds in the UK. Twenty meg sounds good. Raspers with 100 meg an that GTF...

Its also getting upgraded for free too.:smuggy:

The Comedian

No bad. BT Infinity here in October I believe.

Hibee Hater

Everyone on virgin are getting their speed doubled soon.

Notorious BIG

Never fails, came off Xbox to get mny tea, and went back on and my internet is down, I cant connect to xbox, and the only websites I can get on is Twitter and KB

:seething:

The Great Khali

Never fails, came off Xbox to get mny tea, and went back on and my internet is down, I cant connect to xbox, and the only websites I can get on is Twitter and KB

:seething:

Here's an idea. Pick up a book or go ootside

Konrad von Carstein

Having problems with Virgin here in EH14, not gong to waste anytime calling them tonight, they are usually hopeless!

Greedy_Jambo

Just been cut off for 30mins. Not impressed. Nae chance of picking up a book. Mare chance of picking up a lager.

Just been cut off for 30mins. Not impressed. Nae chance of picking up a book. Mare chance of picking up a lager.

Same - left my PC on to come back to after watching a film and found it had been disconnected. I had to reboot and luckily the internet started working again.

Pusnet voted number one for service and customer service [uK call centres]

supposedly fibre optic in this area by August, providing BT get the finger out at the exchange

2078141242.png"]2078141242.png[/url]

The Old Tolbooth

Pusnet voted number one for service and customer service [uK call centres]

supposedly fibre optic in this area by August, providing BT get the finger out at the exchange

2078141242.png"]2078141242.png[/url]

I moved from Plusnet because I found their customer service to be pretty garbage to be honest, I was only with them for two months before binning them, now with BT as they're the only ones in our area who do infinity and everything is much better, even although Plusnet and BT are meant to be the same company :ermm:

Allow me to also post a little info for you.

20MBPS = 20 Megabits per second. This is what your ISP is selling you.

There are 8 bits in a byte.

So divide 20 by 8 and you get 2.5.

So your download speed, from a programmes point of view, is UP TO 2.5 Megabytes per second, or an MP3 file every 1.5 seconds.

My Internet is 4MBPS (Soon moving to a flat with 100MBPS :smuggy:) and I barely get a download of faster than 250kbps.

I'm with Talk Talk in Rosyth only had a problem once and it was fixed in 2 hours, don't download mainly browse plus XBox, LoveFilm etc so does me fine

2078218367.png

Walter Payton

Having problems with Virgin here in EH14, not gong to waste anytime calling them tonight, they are usually hopeless!

I'm in EH14 and I can't even get Virgin :verymad:

Got the full Sky package, it would be nice though to have a viable competitor in the area. Here's hoping when BT infinity rolls out they don't just upgrade areas that are already cabled.

Konrad von Carstein

I'm in EH14 and I can't even get Virgin :verymad:

Got the full Sky package, it would be nice though to have a viable competitor in the area. Here's hoping when BT infinity rolls out they don't just upgrade areas that are already cabled.

I can get either virgin or BT but not sky, **** new builders need to get their acts together.

I've heard that if you've got lots of neighbours with lots of different wifi flying about the place, then that'll affect your speed too. You could try switching the channel of band on your router. Don't ask me how though :ninja:

Have folk tested there broadband speed whilst connected with their Ethernet cable?

2078441221.png

Before I got the Virgin Superhub fitted I was getting download speeds of around 4/5 Mb/s; the hub has made a huge difference, as you can see with the results from my latest test.

2078441221.png

Before I got the Virgin Superhub fitted I was getting download speeds of around 4/5 Mb/s; the hub has made a huge difference, as you can see with the results from my latest test.

Ive just ordered my Superhub. I take it, it is easy to setup?

Ive just ordered my Superhub. I take it, it is easy to setup?

Yeah, all I did was hook it all up then phoned Virgin for an activation, it was an automated voice on the other side that told me to turn off the hub for around 30 mins. When I booted it back up after the time, that was me up and running.

He Who Cannot Be Named

I've heard that if you've got lots of neighbours with lots of different wifi flying about the place, then that'll affect your speed too. You could try switching the channel of band on your router. Don't ask me how though :ninja:

Have folk tested there broadband speed whilst connected with their Ethernet cable?

This is the answer. Usually.

Dean Winchester

Allow me to also post a little info for you.

20MBPS = 20 Megabits per second. This is what your ISP is selling you.

There are 8 bits in a byte.

So divide 20 by 8 and you get 2.5.

So your download speed, from a programmes point of view, is UP TO 2.5 Megabytes per second, or an MP3 file every 1.5 seconds.

My Internet is 4MBPS (Soon moving to a flat with 100MBPS :smuggy:) and I barely get a download of faster than 250kbps.

He said he was getting 19Mb/s before though so he's not getting MB and Mb mixed up.

I'd keep on at them. Do you have a superhub? They're horrendrous and a quick google shows a huge amount of people are having problems with the router part of them. I was getting 1 Mb/s a few weeks after my 100Mb installation which was initially going at about 98 Mb/s. They reset the router over the phone and it worked fine. Happened again twice more over the next 6 weeks or so.

Went out and got my own router and it's been fine since :thumbsup:

I recently got a FREE upgrade, complete with FREE hub from Virgin from 20 to 60Mbs, I'm getting 50+

No complaints from me,

though I have to confess their call centre poor. It's like someone reading a script.

I recently got a FREE upgrade, complete with FREE hub from Virgin from 20 to 60Mbs, I'm getting 50+

No complaints from me,

though I have to confess their call centre poor. It's like someone reading a script.

Sounds good. I've got the hub already, and I've got 20Mbs. I've heard they're doing the upgrades area by area. What postal code is your area. I'm EH13, but I'm abroad just now. Did they send you a letter to notify you of the upgrade?

Virgin has been playing up for me over the weekend.

Unable to access pages, xbox live etc..

Forgot to mention, for all those people with poor download speed problems. Did you download the free PC tuneup test from the virgin site. It can help you identify problems, and maximise your Hub speed.

Sounds good. I've got the hub already, and I've got 20Mbs. I've heard they're doing the upgrades area by area. What postal code is your area. I'm EH13, but I'm abroad just now. Did they send you a letter to notify you of the upgrade?

Check your 'My Virgin Media' account. Thats the only way I knew that my Superhub was ready for me.

Check your 'My Virgin Media' account. Thats the only way I knew that my Superhub was ready for me.

:thumb:

I'll do that when I get home

Another tip is to download the virgin broadband software from their website, configures your laptop to the settings that will give you the best speed! Nothing major bit it did make mine a bit quicker!

Hibee Hater

Another tip is to download the virgin broadband software from their website, configures your laptop to the settings that will give you the best speed! Nothing major bit it did make mine a bit quicker!

Going to have a look at this

cheersthumbsup.gif

Mr Brightside

Got the superhub and sometimes it won't work as a wireless router but I gather this is a common fault.

When the wireless router works I get 54Mbs and when the superhub is used as a modem via a cable I get 1Gbs!

Archived