amusing hockey game moments

Sharpie

Reading about the hockey fights got me thinking of a couple of things I saw happen at hockey games.

It was early in the Canucks years, my son and I went to a game he was just a kid mebbe 9,10 years old. I hadn't yet got a season ticket so we were way up high in the nose bleed section. Two women started to argue then the one in front stood up and looked like getting physical, the lady in the row behind preempted the strike by grabbing her hair. Not so good as the wig came away in her hand leaving the aggressor hairless, with a nylon holding her real hair.

A couple of years later two guys started to fight, again one grabbed the others hair and the rug came away in his hand, he turned and threw it over the glass on to the ice. It just lay there in the corner. The teams came out and the Canucks left defenceman skated into the corner to see what was on the ice, meanwhile the now bald man is hammering on the glass and pointing at his head. The player picked the piece up on his stick and dropped it over the glass. The whole arena was cheering and laughing, the guy totally unperturbed takes his hair, planks it on his head and returns to his seat to a round of applause.

Two goalie moments. Canucks v Pittsburgh, Canucks get a few goals, the coach and the goalie pass signals for the goalie to be benched, the coach taps the back up goalie, and he says F you I'm no going out there, there is further discussion and the referee starts the game. I don't remember that the goalie was ever replaced.

Big Gary Smith, lets in a couple of goals, the coach pulls him, and Suitcase skates towards the dressing room. Never returned to the game, and later, he is reported missing for a couple of days nobody knew where he was, it turned out he had taken the first flight out of town to Hawaii.

Saturday Hockey Night in Canada TV game, 5.00pm start so Eastern viewers can watch. Suddenly the gate to the away team room opens and three naked girls run on the ice past the two benches, some of the players saw it, some didn't, they ran into the Canucks room gate , then after the initial surprise the players and crowd were hysterical, and it took a wee bit to get the game going again. Turns out they were local strippers streaking, looking for publicity.

Archived