were you watching hobo ****

maroonlegions

maroonlegions

HEARTS succeeded where the likes of Inter Milan, Juventus, Liverpool and Valencia had failed;) as they recorded a famous win in Switzerland

HEARTS boss John Robertson spoke of his immense pride as the Jambos wrote another glorious chapter in their European history with a stunning UEFA Cup triumph over Basel.

The magnificent 2-1 victory over the Swiss league leaders at the Stadion St Jakob Park saw the Gorgie outfit do what the likes of Inter Milan, Juventus, Liverpool and Valencia had all failed to achieve in previous years.:mj_zivili:

Hearts have enjoyed some memorable occasions on foreign soil but the win over Christian Gross' side, which had aspirations of doing well in the Champions League, must rank as one of the best.;)

Vienna, Bordeaux and Braga were special moments in the club's proud history but the events of that November night will burn brightly for years to come in the memory of the 2000 fans who made the journey to Switzerland.

The home side had proved formidable opposition at their imposing home but they simply had no answer to the stirring performance of Robertson's outfit, goals from Dennis Wyness, above, and Robbie Neilson, giving Hearts their first points in Group A.

"It is a fantastic feeling and my admiration and pride for the players is immense," said Robertson at the time.

"We needed to be brave to win and we were. It is fantastic for the supporters who came over to back us and had the belief that we could win the match."

Robbo may have been a novice in terms of managing in Europe but he got his tactics spot-on against the team which had won the Swiss league by 13 points the previous year.

Hearts had been written off by almost everyone ahead of the make-or-break encounter but Robertson promised to attack Basel and true to his word he fielded an adventurous line-up with Mark de Vries, Ramon Pereira, Joe Hamill and Wyness all on from the start.

"It was all down to the players' belief and ability," said the Hearts boss. "You can work on tactics until you're blue in the face but if they don't perform then it doesn't work.

"I can't praise the players enough for what they did. I am thrilled for the supporters and you could see by the reaction of them and the players at the end what it meant to them."

Robertson's team selection was a major gamble but fortune favoured the brave on a bitterly cold night in the picturesque Swiss town.

Luck is something which had been in short supply for Hearts in the current Group A campaign, some dreadful decisions from officials contributing significantly to a disappointing start which saw them kick-off this clash rooted to the foot of the table with no points from their opening two matches against Feyenoord and Schalke.

Few would have denied the Jambos a slice of fortune and Lady Luck was certainly smiling on them as they broke the deadlock on the half-hour mark through Wyness.

The rejuvenated front man lashed home his first goal in Europe with a crisply-hit shot after good work from Hamill and Pereira, although the

Spaniard appeared to be in a clearly offside position.

Some wayward finishing from the home side combined with brilliant goalkeeping from Craig Gordon ? one save in particular from Scott Chipperfield in the second half as he somehow got down to the Australian's diving header defying belief ? saw Hearts maintain that advantage until 13 minutes from time when Cesar Andres Carignano hauled Basel level.

However, just when it looked like another hard luck story, up popped the most unlikely of heroes in the shape of Robbie Neilson, :rolleyes:the defender blasting home his first goal for the club in the 89th minute.

Hearts may have enjoyed some good fortune but this was no lucky triumph.;)

Hearts: Gordon, Neilson, Pressley, Webster, Maybury, Hamill, Stewart (MacFarlane, 70), McAllister, Wyness, Pereira (Stamp, 66), De Vries (Weir, 86). Subs not used: Moilanen, Janczyk, Sloan, Berra:bravo:

"And now the end is near we"ved travelled far from Perth to Paisley......................... ":107:

maroonlegions
Can't believe how gash our midfield and strikers were.

:107years::107years:, still a win is a win eh.;)

The Old Tolbooth
Can't believe how gash our midfield and strikers were.

Yet they were still better than the dross we have today :confused:

Cracking night that though, felt really high after that game.

Can't recall if I watched this one or not.

Was this the one where wee Robbo chased after the other gaffer and planted one on him?

took the words right out of my mouth, good defence and then apart from de vries how bad a team is that. shows you what a manager can do though with a bit of tactical awareness and managing the players correctly. i would not take many of that team back to be honest so lets just get robbo in as manager and everything will be fine

Great night.

I watched it, amongst many other Hearts fans in a Gorgie hotel. Not as good as making the journey but hey ho.

***EDIT***

Also, this night was the night that Stewart played his best game in a Hearts jersey.

Was this the one where wee Robbo chased after the other gaffer and planted one on him?

Nope don't think so...i think that was the last match of the group against Ferencvaros at Murrayfield?...Pretty sure it was, lost 1-0 and Robbo flipped out against their coach for something

winston churchill

nice bit of fishing farcy,i was told you'd topped yourself after the flair myth was blown out the water.

I was there and it's one of the reason's I'd defend Robbo to the hilt when it comes to Hearts. What a night!!!

Sure he made mistakes but he showed promise, certainly in the bigger games but sadly not enough for the arsehole element in our support who want things done and won yesterday. At least I gave Vlad 2 and a half of the 3 years he asked for before deciding he was not the right man for the club.

I've watched this game loads of times since and we were tactically outstanding. I got a video of it from one of the Swiss lads who used to post on here in exchange for a Tartan Hearts scarf which I hope he still has.

nice bit of fishing farcy,i was told you'd topped yourself after the flair myth was blown out the water.

Was it? When?!

Did you not see Deano's goal yesterday? ;)

Nelly Terraces
Was it? When?!

Did you not see Deano's goal yesterday? ;)

Kidding aren't you? There was football on the other side, so I watched that.:P

Kidding aren't you? There was football on the other side, so I watched that.:P

Yeah, kidding really. Football ain't been as good this season. Need to wait on the next batch coming through....

Anyway, thread hijack. Was I watching Hobo ****? No, think Eastenders was on. :cool:

Malcolm Tucker

Actually the BBC prefered Rangers vs Maritimo to Hearts away to Basle.

Rather baffled by that decision I must say.

Yet they were still better than the dross we have today :confused:

Cracking night that though, felt really high after that game.

Shows how much a good manager can do, and Robbo isn't even a good manager.

Jonsson, Palazuelos, Kingston, Mikoliunas, Glen and Nade v Hamill, Stewart, McAllister, Wyness, Periera and De Vries is ridiculously one sided in terms of talent. Yet the second team finished two places higher in the league with the best player from that lot being sold in January.

Legend Claws

What a night that was! Bit of a blur to be honest! Drinking cheap super lager from cans in the town perfect!

Tremendous night.

Was absolutely delirious when Robbie's strike hit the back of the net. I actually had a feeling we'd score in the build up.

The ball broke our wide to Hamill, he'd been absolutely murder all game and we all couldn't believe he was still on the park. At that point I just had a feeling that he'd reedem that with one great cross. He did just that, floating one over to Stamp at the back post. At the time, from where we were in the stadium I was sure he'd directed it back towards Robbie himself but once I'd purchased the Basle v Hearts game off e-bay I realised he'd headed it off the defender and onto Robbie. You don't need me to describe the rest.

Had a great night after, we awoke having slept through our alarm. Missed the train to Germany and subsequently missed our flight home. A call to a friend was made who contacted Gary Mackay who managed to get us a place on Dave McPherson's plane back to Edinburgh.

Ahh, good times.

"Two clinical late goals from Alexsandr Melaschenko helped dump Hibernian out of the Uefa Cup in Dnipropetrovsk."

Now there's a positive (deluded) spin on a story if I've ever heard one. Do you ever think we'd get an opening paragraph as kind as that after a 5-1 defeat?

RockyBalboa
Yeah, kidding really. Football ain't been as good this season. Need to wait on the next batch coming through....

Anyway, thread hijack. Was I watching Hobo ****? No, think Eastenders was on. :cool:

I think you will find the answer was that no TV compaines showed the match that night. Unlike all the Rangers, Celtic and Aberdeen matches they have been showing recenty.

maroonlegions
"Two clinical late goals from Alexsandr Melaschenko helped dump Hibernian out of the Uefa Cup in Dnipropetrovsk.":107years::107years:

Now there's a positive (deluded) spin on a story if I've ever heard one. Do you ever think we'd get an opening paragraph as kind as that after a 5-1 defeat?

loving it , how easy they forget that night eh , FLAIR MYTH PUT T BED THAT NIGHT eh,:107years::107years:

winston churchill
did you see kingston goal on saturday

old flair farcy is pulling our chains,sheils goal was the result of a 40 yard hoofball from their own half;).

maroonlegions
old flair farcy is pulling our chains,sheils goal was the result of a 40 yard hoofball from their own half;).

true, nae flair there eh.:107years:

I think you will find the answer was that no TV compaines showed the match that night. Unlike all the Rangers, Celtic and Aberdeen matches they have been showing recenty.

Aye they did, watched it in the orwell lodge. We just needed a rather large satellite dish :shade:

maroonlegions
Nah, Did he see it?

now, now , we all know the hobo players weaknesses.

FLAIR.;):107years:

Archived