1 member has voted

1. 1. Priorities...

• Full backs
    • Partner for Berra
    • 2 wingers
    • New strike force
    • Just a manager, players are fine.

h-e-a-r-t-s

what's the most important improvement we need to make? a new manager goes without saying, i'm talking about players here...

what's the most important improvement we need to make? a new manager goes without saying, i'm talking about players here...

The options were not very good. I think we need one or two players, but we need a manager above and beyond anything and if we get that, I think the players will come good and the ones who don't would get shipped out anyway!

Manager all the way for me!

Rick Grimes

1. Full backs for both flanks

2. Driving central midfielder

3. Striker of the poacher variety.

4. Winger

IMO, tho obviously I agree that a manager is paramount.

boabyarsebiscuit

Without a manager there's little point in trying to address supposed inadequacies in the team. We could sign good players but if the management is still clueless they won't be effective.

Manager.

The Old Tolbooth

The options are pants, I want a new manager, but not with the rubbish we currently have playing for us at the moment!

I want a new manager who will have a mass clear out, and then bring in some of his own players who he thinks are good enough to grace the famous maroon, not players who mad Vlad has picked, or who Frail has picked!

A minimum of one creative, attacking central midfielder to play alongside Kingston in the middle of the park hopefully, would be the number 1 priority for me.

We can muddle through with the rest of the squad as it is, we just need a real creative spark.

The options are pants, I want a new manager, but not with the rubbish we currently have playing for us at the moment!

I want a new manager who will have a mass clear out, and then bring in some of his own players who he thinks are good enough to grace the famous maroon, not players who mad Vlad has picked, or who Frail has picked!

Exactly.

New manager.

Two full-backs.

An experienced centre-back.

A fast winger.

A creative midfielder.

Two strikers.

Just for starters.

I went for just the manager. Let whoever gets the job work with the group of players we have during pre-season, if there is anyone he really wants rid off, let him. Give him until January to make up his own mind who HE wants in, if he feels, like me, we have a capable squad, then he may even buy a few players for the future.

If you look at our squad, it is a pretty good standard, if we got them working hard, which is what a good manager can do, we could get (at least) Europe next season.

GK, Banks, Basso and McDonald all look like they can handle being between the sticks.

Full backs, Neilson - reliable, Thomson - safe back up, Wallace - a new manager will improve him. Jose is probally away, depending how good our young left back are, we may need to invest in that position.

Central defence, Berra - good defender, maybe not a captain, Karipidis - if he doesn't go, he can be a good partner for Berra, Zaliukas - a proper manager would be able to get the best out of him, I'd give him a season. Tall is probally away, unless Karipidis goes as well, we shouldn't need to buy for this position.

The wings, Miko - playing great just now, Chesney - off form recently, Driver - great to see him when he comes back, Beslija - we'll probally have him next season, we may as well use him, Kingston - I feel he's wasted out wide but can still back up the position.

The middle, Palazuelos - great player, off form just now with his passing but he is a quality player, Jonsson - a worker who can play a bit, Aguiar - let the manager decide, Ivaskevicius - he could be a good squad player, versatile, Kingston (again) - better with a role to run in the middle, Stewart - we've got the positive attributes Stewart has in Eggert Jonsson without the hot-headedness, he can go.

Up front, Glen - from what I've seen, he's better than the Real Madrid bound Fletcher when he was Gary Glen's age, definitly should keep, Nade - if he proves his fitness, he has the ability, it's just all about proving it, Elliot - he works for players and proved at Inverness, he can score goals, good squad player, Makela - if he's on a high contract, he maybe should go but he is good enough to play for us IMO.

ScottishSandstorm

We only need 10 things to be successful in moving the club forward next season.

1. Manager

2. Manager

3. Manager

4. Clear-out

5. Manager

6. Striker

7. Manager

8. Young LB if Goncalves leaves

9. Manager

10. MacDonald back from loan

Don't want to put that players are fine but if nobody leaves or arrives but we get a decent manager in then I'd be quietly confident of pinching third next year. This is based on the fact that I think players such as Berra, Kingston and Nade would improve dramatically with a good manager and that our form with Frail has been nearly good enough for third. And that's Frail.

Even though I went for it, I don't really see the point in a manager option. Obviously we need a manager, as for what I think you are actually getting at with this thread. I'd say our most pressing need is a forward. While many want to big Makela up as the great white hope, believe me, it's not going to happen, the lad is just gash. I was there at Inverness, therefore I still believe one of either Nade or Elliot can actually do something given the right system to play in and the right manager pressing their buttons. Then there is Mole who I believe still has potential to do something and now, of course, there is Glen.

Now, even if it were possible for a manager to get Nade, Elliot, Mole and Glen all playing well, there still isn't a member of that group who you'd be hoping would get 15-20 goals a season. Of course it's early days to judge Glen, but having watched him in the under-19s, reserves and now the first team I'd say he'll be a scoring of good goals rather than a good goalscorer, he's more a footballer than a forward. Mole has the most potential out of that group to score but he's probably the rawest talent of the lot and would require a substantial amount of coaching before we can bank on him to net for Hearts consistently.

Our second most pressing need is a right midfielder. One who not only has add balance to the midfield, i.e. not another winger, but someone who can be both industrious and a threat in the final third. I have been saying for sometime now, I really think Barry Nicolson is our man for this type of work but whether we go for him or not is another story. Getting the right man for the right side of midfield will inable us to move Kingston inside and depending on how Jonsson develops, it'll between the young Icelander and Palazuelos for the defensive midfield spot. As long as we can gamble on Driver to continue his development on the right, I'd say our midfield is pretty set.

In defence, a more experienced partner for Berra would certainly be useful but not essential. Since being seperated from his nemesis Zaliukas, Berra has certainly gotten a lot better this season. He's certainly quite far off where we thought he'd be but his development is at least heading in the right direction once again. Karipidis is a decent centre half and we've also got McGowan coming through. Eggert can also play there so we shouldn't be too short for cover. Like I said, a more experienced centre half would improve things, but we've got bigger fish to fry in defence.

The most pressing of which is right back. Now Robbie Neilson was a valued part of the 2005/2006 team, his postional sense and consistently good defending helped give that great team balance. But, unlike now, we didn't need him to get involved further up the park as there was enough creative players. Now we're struggling and Robbie's weaknesses are just getting becoming more evident by the game. We need an outlet on the right and I'm going to stick my neck out and say Jason Thomson isn't that man either. At left back Goncalves will probably go and I'd be very tempted to leave things as they are. If we do sign someone I'd want it to be an more experienced player who won't be playing at his best for more than a couple of years. That's because we've not only got Wallace to try as develop but also two other young exciting prospects in Jonathan Brown (can also play right back) and Matej Rapnik (can also play central defence). Either that or Wallace can be given the gig full time, but I still don't trust his defensive skills.

A new goalkeeper is also a pressing need, Banks is reliable in that he doesn't make any glaring errors but his reflexes aren't all that great which isn't something you want in a shorter keeper. Basso's probably not the answer due to his bombscare tendencies even if he is the more talented of the two. McDonald looks an easy answer but I don't think he'll be the long term solution.

Archived