"The shard" building

mullen13

Just seen the opening ceromony for the shard building in London and think it is hideous. Very imposing and built on greed money from Ken Livingston and Qatari businessmen. Does anybody like it? It doesn't really match any of the other architecture.

BBC video

TheMaganator

Two of my biggest dislikes are modern architecture and Ken Livingston.

However, I do quite like this building - I cannot say why though.

wheatfield to sheffield

I think it's fantastic.

When I'm working in London, I'm near London Bridge which is the station that the Shard is built on top of - and I can't help but look up at it and say wow! every time I come out the station.

Does anybody like it? It doesn't really match any of the other architecture.

BBC video

In terms of being brash,"iconic, corporate and aggressive, it fits into it's setting well ! rolleyes.gif.

Can't say if I like it or not until I've seen it .

Just seen the opening ceromony for the shard building in London and think it is hideous. Very imposing and built on greed money from Ken Livingston and Qatari businessmen. Does anybody like it? It doesn't really match any of the other architecture.

BBC video

It looks fantastic from anywhere in London. It glimmers in the sun and reflects the rays in a way I've never seen on a building. It looks hideous in the video you posted though, but you if you've based your opinion on that then you need to re-evaluate it when you see it for real.

Nothing matches in London architecture. Old mixes with new everywhere. Look at city hall for an example on location and not matching with what's nearby. You don't understand London architecture if you don't think it "fits".

Can I ask wtf it has to do with Ken Livingston?

I think it's fantastic.

When I'm working in London, I'm near London Bridge which is the station that the Shard is built on top of - and I can't help but look up at it and say wow! every time I come out the station.

I totally agree, it's stunning. In person it really looks amazing.

However, the ?25 they are asking to go to the viewing floor is taking the piss a bit.

I may change my mind when I see it in person but to me it looks bland and lacks personality. Employ a few absailing window-cleaners though. What purpose does it serve? Offices?

Boaby Ewing

I like it.

Didn't like the Gherkin initially, but came to love it for what it is. A magisterial dildo of a building. Glorious.

I may change my mind when I see it in person but to me it looks bland and lacks personality. Employ a few absailing window-cleaners though. What purpose does it serve? Offices?

Thinks as well as offices there is a 5 star hotel and some residential accommodation

They might as well hang a big sign on the side of it saying "BOMB ME"

Thinks as well as offices there is a 5 star hotel and some residential accommodation

They might as well hang a big sign on the side of it saying "BOMB ME"

Strange comment. Why exactly?

jimmyjambo

offices, apartments @ ?50 million a pop,hotel, restuarants

Gavsy Van Gaverson

?50m apartments?

:arry:

How many are there?

Right, cos there is a shortage of those in London of course. And terrorists really have something against expensive apartments.

I think there might be some higher profile targets in London.

First thing that came into my head was 'Towering inferno'

I like the Gherkin, but that is horrible...

I'm sure you could figure it out if you put your mind to it

Nope, enlighten me please Fun Boaby.

I was staggered when our taxi driver said ?50m for the prime apartment but then I looked at some apartments being built about 10 streets back with prices from ?1m to ?5m for what looks like an ordinary building!!!!

That said, the shard is magnificent.

A Boy Named Crow

It's maybe because it's been there for ages by now, but the prevailing opinion amongst the folk viewing it from my meeting near the top of a big office block the other side of the river was that is's a bit underwhelming, it should LOOK bigger, they should definitely have knocked down the pig ugly office block just to the west of it!

Buffalo Bill

I like it but then I like Tower42 and Tour Montparnasse.

skinnybob72

Nope, enlighten me please Fun Boaby.

I'd hazard a guess he's suggesting that the next time terrorists of a certain ethnic persuasion are planning an attack that this place may stick out like a very tall, very large piece of glass in the middle of London.

I'd hazard a guess he's suggesting that the next time terrorists of a certain ethnic persuasion are planning an attack that this place may stick out like a very tall, very large piece of glass in the middle of London.

This isn't the first skyscraper in London though, so it's hardly going to increase the chances of London being attacked.

7 years ago today, many lives were lost in London and I don't remember any tall buildings being attacked then. I don't mean to be facetious or disrespectful, but terrorists have a lot more imagination than bombing skyscrapers.

This isn't the first skyscraper in London though, so it's hardly going to increase the chances of London being attacked.

7 years ago today, many lives were lost in London and I don't remember any tall buildings being attacked then. I don't mean to be facetious or disrespectful, but terrorists have a lot more imagination than bombing skyscrapers.

I knew something like that was coming, thats why I didn't answer your question.

Its not just a tall building, its the tallest building in the country and iconic because of its size and, design and location. Terrorists do have form for attacking tall iconic buildings as we all know.

I like it. :thumbsup:

The documentary on how it was built was superb too. :thumbsup:

BBC video

What does "built on greed money" mean?

LeylandJambo

I go into London every week going down archway It's the first thing that I see. A very impressive building indeed.

Archived