** Edinburgh to Dublin Cycle **

Dunks

Hi All!

Next month I'm cycling from Edinburgh to Dublin to help raise awareness and funds for Marie Curie Cancer Care

I've spoken to Ulysses who has kindly allowed me to share my story ...

My best mate Ian and indeed my best man introduced me to the wonders of cycling a number of years ago, having never touched a bike since my teens. Starting off with mountain biking, he then got me into road cycling too, in particular around the fantastic Scottish Borders roads and the hills of pain around Torridon and Applecross. Ian was first diagnosed with a cancerous brain tumour in 2007, following an emergency operation that saved his life. Several operations later as well as radiotherapy and chemotherapy proved fruitless as Ian lost his battle in December last year. All through his treatment, Ian never gave up hope and was always full of optimism (even at the Spurs game). He was also the most selfless individual I'd ever met and devoted the remainder of his life to his family and friends.

In September of last year, I was riding the Tour Ride from Peebles to Dumfries (with amazing sponsorship from members of JKB). This was basically the route of stage 1 of the Tour of Britain. Ian was due to ride with me - not for his own challenge, but to support me in my attempt. A couple of days before the ride, he had to pull out as he wasn't feeling up to it following his latest chemo. I knew it must be bad, as he rarely dropped out of anything.

And so it was with heavy heart that I set out on my tod on what was a stunning day for cycling. Some of you will know the weird and wonderful things that go through your mind when cycling on your own and that day was no exception. As you can imagine, Ian was at the forefront of my thoughts. And so, on the long descent down the Devil's Beeftub, you can imagine my surprise and elation when Ian suddenly appeared alongside me! He had wakened that morning feeling much better and in typical Ian style, got his Dad to take him to the Borders so he could join the ride. As he explained, he had no idea if he'd started in front or behind me, so it was a happy coincidence that he caught me on the road.

The rest of the ride is a bit of a blur as we talked our way around the route, ignoring the scenery. Although to be fair, the scenery in Dumfries and Galloway is a disappointment following the beauty of the Scottish Borders! It was during our extended blether that we hatched the plan for a new challenge in 2012 that would raise some cash for charity. We initially thought of Lands End to John o'Groats, but agreed that it was probably too long to be enjoyable. A route through Cuba sounded good, but we settled on Edinburgh to Dublin - not too far and a decent pint of Guinness at the end.

I managed to get registered on the cycle in aid of Marie Curie with Ian still adamant he was going to join me. Alas, it wasn't to be. Although he won't be joining me physically, I can assure you he will be with me for every pedal stroke from the first day starting in Edinburgh to my arrival in Phoenix Park, Dublin.

As part of my fundraising, I've organised a Road Sportive on Sunday 8th July based in Innerleithen with a choice of 100 miles or 100km. It would be great if some of you could make it, details at: Innerleithen 100

Alternatively, you can support the fundraising at: http://www.justgivin...dinburgh-Dublin

Thank you for taking the time to read my story - it really is appreciated thumbsup.gif

This is Ian a few months after that first life saving operation nearing the summit of the Bealach na Ba

521899_3759010227682_1483335450_n.jpg

Jaysus, Dunks, there surely has to be an easier way of getting to the Phoenix Park. :eek:

Best of luck with the fundraising. :thumbsup:

Gwyneth says yes to cycling thumbsup.gif

FP_8006139_PalrtowRuffalo_BikeRide_AAR_11_12.jpg

No like you to entice us in with excellent artwork. :whistling::lol:

Best of luck though mate. :thumbsup:

Many thanks for the kind donations and best wishes so far folks - getting tantalisingly close to that target now.

And just for Currahee! and to make up for the demise of the Back Room in The Pub ...

tumblr_m6e6qk4ABY1rz8k9zo1_500.jpg

Right, next post will be a "one for the ladies" as more of them have sponsored me than you blokes. So, unless I see some male sponsorship tonight, it'll be blokes on bikes tomorrow!

Meanwhile, this is my training partner whistling.gif

2012-tour-de-france-lead.jpg

Right, next post will be a "one for the ladies" as more of them have sponsored me than you blokes. So, unless I see some male sponsorship tonight, it'll be blokes on bikes tomorrow!

Meanwhile, this is my training partner whistling.gif

2012-tour-de-france-lead.jpg

I'll sponsor you when I get paid. :thumbsup:

Not for the good cause mind, its for these pics. :lol:

BTTT - already sponsored you but figured it was worth a bump. :thumbsup:

Aye, c'mon folks get yer cash over. Very worthy cause.

Thank you kindly chaps thumbsup.gif

I feel obliged to offer a photo up for the ladies though, so here we go - this is me pre-training whistling.gif

fat-cyclist.jpg

When riding ones bike over longer distances, it is important to keep ones arms warm in order to maintain core body temperature whistling.gif

563480_491424394206434_919400861_n.jpg

Why don't you post a picture for the guys and ladies, perhaps Rudi cycling out of Tynecastle holding his new two year contract :unsure:

Thank you kindly chaps thumbsup.gif

I feel obliged to offer a photo up for the ladies though, so here we go - this is me pre-training whistling.gif

fat-cyclist.jpg

Socks and sandals is so wrong. :lol:

Yet the rest of the outfit is obviously OK for you? :whistling:

:lol:

Nothing wrong with the outfit. Its the body underneath thats the problem. :lol:

No way I'm letting that "records" thread stay higher up page one than this fantastic appreciation of bikes and women!

C'mon folks, splash the cash for Marie Curie thumbsup.gif

tumblr_lse3u7jsQ71qlbnppo1_500.jpg

jessistensland2.jpg

:lol:

Nothing wrong with the outfit. Its the body underneath thats the problem. :lol:

T

That's a bit harsh, he did say that was pre training. thoughI am still waiting on the Rudi photo.... A photo me just the contract, no bike, no Rudi would do!

I P Knightley

So far, I've raised ?2,195 for Marie Curie Cancer Care.

Help me reach my target of ?1,500.

I could help you turn ?2195 into ?1500!

As for this sort of nonsense:

sexy-cycling-babes-8.jpg

I thoroughly disapprove of taking risks when cycling and urge you, if you see anyone similarly attired, to show her your helmet.

Have a blast.

All done folks - many, many thanks to all that donated thumbsup.gif

Some stats from Edinburgh to Dublin:

Cycle Distance = 367km/228 miles

Ascent = 4661m/15,300 feet

Calories burned = 10,573

Guinness consumed = ???? (bit of a blur)

Raised so far by me = ?2,230

Raised so far by the group = ?40,000

Great effort by all in the group. Still time to donate if you feel obliged: http://www.justgivin...dinburgh-Dublin

And finally, if you like the old 2 wheel action, you've got Le Col du Tourmalet in the TdF tomorrow followed by a special programme about a special lady :wub:

Victoria-Pendleton-Exclusive-for-Esquire-UK-2.jpg

I P Knightley

Calories burned = 10,573

Great effort by all in the group. Still time to donate if you feel obliged: http://www.justgivin...dinburgh-Dublin

And finally, if you like the old 2 wheel action, you've got Le Col du Tourmalet in the TdF tomorrow followed by a special programme about a special lady :wub:

Well done to you, Dunks. By my calculations, you must now be a stone and a half lighter.

I've not been on my own bike much this last couple of weeks but I hope that this evening's "documentary" helps with my cardio-vascular workout.

Calories burned = 10,573

Well done Dunks.

Remarkable achievement :thumbsup:

Archived