Tonights Commentators

Konrad von Carstein

Konrad von Carstein

Much better (IMO) than either Tyldesy or Mowbray and thier respective colour men (the two one time Oirishmen).

Perhaps little understated but at least no screaming and inane comments.

Konrad von Carstein

Colour men? :what:

Keown's a prize arsehole.

*sigh* look it up.

I like MK :lol:

It is anyone but Lawrenson for me, but I think Keown has done a good job.

He is obviously interested in the tactical side of the game and has called it well tonight.

Whoever he is, I like the way that he tells you who is on the ball. Much better than that ITV guy who just chats away without telling you anything about what's actually happening.

Goldstone Wonder

Steve Wilson is the commentator. I agree they're much better than Mowbray and Lawrenson.

Konrad von Carstein

It is anyone but Lawrenson for me, but I think Keown has done a good job.

He is obviously interested in the tactical side of the game and has called it well tonight.

That is the "second" guy's job IMO, explain (in simple terms) the technical side of the game and compliment the running commentary - raher than offer inane jingoistic or sarcastic comments, well done MK :thumbsup:

Wilson is fine, but Keown is the most uninsightful clown I've ever heard. The guy popped a stiffy every time Ronaldo's face was on the camera, give it a rest.

I thought Keown wasn't that bad, but that might be because Lawrenson did the previous game that I watched, and he is utterly dismal. The Match of the Day clique are still a ******* disgrace.

Still better than Mick McCarthy, who made me hate football and want to kill myself after every game he commentated on.

Buffalo Bill

Mick McCarthy looks like one of those blokes who were born middle-aged and he sounds like he should be commentating on a Yorkshire sheep-shearing contest.

Martin Keown might have a face like a Halloween Cake but at least he speaks well.

All the so called commentary from both BBC and ITV has done is make me hope to feck that Brazil 14 isn't protected and I can watch it on Sky!

As for tonight it was horrific listening to them slate every Portuguese player if they didn't immediately pass to Ronaldo!

We_are_the_Hearts

They were woeful, very anti Spain in my opinion. If England had scored 8 and let in 1 and qualified for the final they would be stroking each other!! Only thing Keown got right was saying "Pepe is a drama queen!".....Not sure they understand the offside rule and phases!

Captain Canada

They were absolutely awful. I can think of quite a few instances when they clearly didn't see what had just happened. Having a go at players for diving then changing their minds on seeing the 2nd or 3rd replay.

Their basic knowledge of the game was laughable. Asking why Spain hadn't played like this during the 90 minutes for example. The simple reason is Portugal were tired and couldn't press as much in extra time, thus giving Spain more room to play their normal game.

In the last 25 years I can only think of two co-commentators who have offered anything, Andy Gray on Sky and Pat Nevin on 5live. The rest lack the required level of insight or personality to deserve to be paid to talk at us. Keown is just the latest in a long line of boring pundits with nothing interesting to say. Listening to Keown during this tournament is like listening to an English version of Craig Paterson.

Archived