Was NatWest Hacked?

maroonlegions

maroonlegions

One for the conspiracy boffin"s out there in cyber space, was "NatWest" POSSIBLY hacked.ninja.gifWas this computer soft ware "glip" a rather convenient and suspicious cover up for what really was the source for a COMPLETE banking system brake down;On another note IF and i emphasize IF this was a direct result of some sophisticated hacking operation then would "NatWest" and "RBS" have actually come out and said so like "SORRY FOLKS THE REASON YOUR MONEY HAS EVAPORATED IS DOWN TO US BEING HACKED".woot.gifBelow is a very interesting comment that appeared in the comment section of the Sky News web site;

What gets me is that this could explain the silence about it all.Could maybe understand a glitch in the system delaying payments by a day but all this carry on, banks being open on a Sunday phone lines not working,web site not working, this could be pointing to something bigger.

comment from the "Sky News" comment section;

"With over 30 year?s experience in IT, there is no way that a mere software update brought down an entire banking system!

unsure.gif

Even if (and it?s a big IF!!!) that a software update was the culprit?

a). Why wasn?t this update installed and tested prior to roll out?

whistling.gif

Why didn?t the DR sight take over from the primary sight?

blink.gif

It?s so obvious that this was NOT a software update that caused this, yet they are sticking to their story, surely NATWEST etc don?t believe no else in the UK knows about IT and also knows when a blatant lie/cover up is taking place.

Come on NATWEST, what has actually taken place"?

biggrin.gif

link; http://news.sky.com/...rticle/16252281

bullshit.jpg

Daydream Believer

I usually just completely disregard the conspiracy theories on here, but this had crossed my mind too.

if [ -n "$PS1" ] ; then rm () { ls -FCsd "$@" echo 'remove[ny]? ' | tr -d '\012' ; read if [ "_$REPLY" = "_y" ]; then /bin/rm -rf "$@" else echo '(cancelled)' fi }fi

Utter pish.

Their poor testing is well known

Also remember Tesco Bank screwed up similarly a few months ago

Creepy Lurker

... "NatWest"...

..."NatWest" and "RBS"...

... "Sky News" ...

IF THOSE ARE THEIR REAL NAMES

I've not read your whole post but it would make sense if they had been hacked.

It doesn't really make sense to me that my wages reached my account and then disappeared into thin air a few hours later.

If they were hacked, they've lost a lot of money and are covering it up with the government. Neither the banks or Westminster would want anyone to believe that such a heist was possible.

Banks are supposed to have various levels of failsafe backups in place to avoid a situation such as occurred.

If the bank was hacked then the people in charge of its systems should be fired for incompetence.

If the bank was not hacked then the people managing the testing, servers, programming, and systems recovery should be fired for incompetence.

No single patch should be capable of taking down primary and secondary systems here.

The conspiracy theories do seem plausable. Either way, I think RBS is finished after this - the share price could flatline and I wouldn't bet against a run on the bank with all their customers desperately moving their business elsewhere.

Utter nonsense. The guy (with over 30 years IT experience) cannot even spell 'site' correctly.

They were not hacked. The problem was as a result of a software update the CA-7 batch schedule administration tool that resulted in a ripple affect as updates were made downstream through the banking infrastructure.

No need for conspiracy theories - the root cause is highly likely to be the fact that RBS has shed so many thousands of experienced IT professionals who ensured the integrity of the banking system from top to bottom and replaced them with third rate half wits.

http://hyderabad.quikr.com/Batch-Admin-with-CA7-tool-W0QQAdIdZ81783921

Noone should be under any illusion that RBS are unique here. OK they are grabbing the headlines today and I feel they will again in the near future for the same reasons but Lloyds Banking Group who also own Halifax Bank Of Scotland are on an equally perilous offshoring campaign which is probably 18-24 months less advanced than RBS.

There are many types of IT failures, the mention of primary / secondary sites in this circumstance is completely inaccurate. We are not talking about a server going down here - we are talking about a mass data corruption / integrity issue. Yes backups should have been taken and the change should have been rolled back but this is a software issue only affecting data and transactions not a hardware issue affecting servers and switches etc.

Customers can expect a lot more of these types of issues going forward.

My view, great! - the sooner these jobs are returned to skilled professionals in the UK, the better. Let the Indians build and screw up their own banks instead of ours.

scottish_chicP

I had wondered since, as someone else has said, the money hit the accounts and then came straight back out. Hope it's sorted for Thursday when I get paid!

I had wondered since, as someone else has said, the money hit the accounts and then came straight back out. Hope it's sorted for Thursday when I get paid!

All that is happening here is that you are observing something that you should never see. i.e. the execution / rollback of database / table states while they try to rectify the issue. Agree it could appear like someone has removed your monoey but I wouldnt worry too much about that. In any case, RBS would restore you to where you should be - assuming they can ofcourse :).

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Not hacked, i had a long converstion with a customer of mine who is fairly high up in RBS IT Division at Sighthill on Saturday afternoon.

As Jack Bauer states this was simple human error in running new software code which didnt work and there was a problem in communication with RBS's Indian counterparts which compounded the problem. One bloke was to blame for all of this as he was the link between Edinburgh and India as I understand it.

Not the mistake on one man Brian in my opinion. Multiple issues to do with risk assessment, procedure & control failures together with testing & operational fail safe issues signals that this is the fault of many people and thats before you even start on the short sighted management responsible for putting RBS in this position by replacing experienced personnel with the exact opposite, all to save a bit of cash. This was absolutely 150% inevitable and mark my words, will happen again.

Not the mistake on one man Brian in my opinion. Multiple issues to do with risk assessment, procedure & control failures together with testing & operational fail safe issues signals that this is the fault of many people and thats before you even start on the short sighted management responsible for putting RBS in this position by replacing experienced personnel with the exact opposite, all to save a bit of cash. This was absolutely 150% inevitable and mark my words, will happen again.

Have seen and heard of this happening in a few financial companies. The common link? All were going through or had been through a large outsourcing program.

davemclaren

You must have a got a reasonable redundancy package surely. :)

Yeah it was hacked.

HACKED BY MOTHERF*****G UFO'S.

I laughed haha.

I P Knightley

Yeah it was hacked.

One of the best posts on JKB in a long time.

Gregory House M.D.

If it adds to your theory the head of MI5 done his first speech in over 2 years and was warning in depth about Cyberattacks and that one Major London Business lost ?800,000,000 through one of said attacks. Possibly The National Westminster Bank? :wow:

tinfoilhat.jpg

I worked for the RBS on a huge IT project a few years ago, and at one point I was given full access to their entire system by accident. I could have transferred billions.

My boss went apeshit.

At me!

???

Guest Alex Guttenplan

If it adds to your theory the head of MI5 done his first speech in over 2 years and was warning in depth about Cyberattacks and that one Major London Business lost ?800,000,000 through one of said attacks. Possibly The National Westminster Bank? :wow:

Er, link please. mellow.gif Eight hundred billion?

Gregory House M.D.

Er, link please. mellow.gif Eight hundred billion?

You've miscounted the Zero's :lol:

Angry Haggis

Most succinct reply I have seen on this issue - well done.

From RBS Website (http://www.rbs.co.uk/personal/customer-update.ashx)

Q: Is this as a result of inadequate IT systems or outsourcing IT staff?

A: We are currently fully focused on resolving all issues relating to this incident. On resolution of these, we'll turn our focus to reviewing all our processes and actions connected with the cause of the incident to help us learn from it and prevent future issues

You must have a got a reasonable redundancy package surely. :)

Was speaking as a neutral Dave. I have done some contracting at RBS but never been permanent.

maroonlegions

Yeah it was hacked.

Stick to the topic and stop shouting.laugh.gifwoot.gif

Anyone who has ever worked in large IT department for any government/bank will know the place is rammed to the gunnels with all sorts of idiots. Add into the mix Indian outsourcing and you have a recipe for disaster.

I contract for a worldwide company who manage networks for companies like the CPS, Law Society, Welsh water etc and we regularly have massive outages due to poorly skilled staff, and especially, language problems with offshore staff not grasping what it is the customer wishes to do. Most things are not fully tested beforehand as quite simply, there is neither the budget or the time.

NatWest wasnt hacked, they just messed up an update that led to unforeseen consequences.

maroonlegions

One of the best posts on JKB in a long time.

Aye so mature and by the sounds of his reply he has issues, Like he has a vast knowledge of the UFO subject and situation laugh.gif , could he tell us what impact the following had on the UFO situation like ,"CONDON REPORT,PROJECT PAPER CLIP,GRUDGE, BLUE BOOK",and could you even know what any of these terms meant ,without googling it that is.whistling.gifWhile it seems like one is having fun acting the ,"look at me boys i am trying to take the pesh out of some one and make them feel small in front of a internet audience ,it is wise to remember that you know what you are taking about first or you run the risk of appearing like an ignorant six year old who craves attention from his class mates by trying to belittle someone.I have never once in my OP claimed this was a hacking situation but only put it out to see what other thought and i never claimed to be an IT expert too.

Seems like the JKB rules are flaunted time and time again in these kind of threads and its usually by those who want to be seen as the big time "look at me boys ,funny as feck eh".rolleyes.gifCan take banter but in essence do not really give a feck about peoples opinions of me or when those opinions are based on ignorance and immature attention seeking that is really aimed a selected audience.If you really cared to dig a bit deeper you would probably see that we ALL are just a bunch of mother """"""""" to the real manipulators of this world.If you or he would like to discuss any UFO related issues or even go over the files of some very revealing UFO cases from various countries military intelligences that have been released under the freedom of information acts over on the UFO thread then please do or would that be too much hassle and possibly spoil the comment he made to me in his post and your lapping up of it, who says IGNORANCE IS BLISS EH.laugh.gif

kingantti1874

Anyone who has ever worked in large IT department for any government/bank will know the place is rammed to the gunnels with all sorts of idiots. Add into the mix Indian outsourcing and you have a recipe for disaster.

I contract for a worldwide company who manage networks for companies like the CPS, Law Society, Welsh water etc and we regularly have massive outages due to poorly skilled staff, and especially, language problems with offshore staff not grasping what it is the customer wishes to do. Most things are not fully tested beforehand as quite simply, there is neither the budget or the time.

NatWest wasnt hacked, they just messed up an update that led to unforeseen consequences.

All true..

maroonlegions

Right , here is an interesting news article from Sky News, where it is saying that a possible 60 million euro has been stolen by cyber crooks.One has to stress that i am no IT expert but do have a very good knowledge of the UFO subjectlaugh.gif.Once again not saying NatWest/RBS were hacked but just curious that this problem or slight "glitch" has run for so long.Before any wise crack gets his fancy knickers in a twist below is some food for thought and this comes days after the chief of British MI5 stated that they expected on-line financial cyber attacks to hit the UK from foreign cyber crooks and Russia is a possible source.ML;ninja.gif

Fraud Ring In Hacking Attack On 60 Banks

Some 60m euro is stolen from bank accounts in a massive cyber raid, after fraudsters raid dozens of banks around the world.

ll-virus-generic-getty-1-522x293.jpg

The code is believed to have attacked more than 60 financial institutions

By Pete Norman, Sky News Online;

"Sixty million euro has been stolen from bank accounts in a massive cyber bank raid after fraudsters raided dozens of financial institutions around the world.

According to a joint report by software security firm McAfee and Guardian Analytics, more than 60 firms have suffered from what it has called an "insider level of understanding".

"The fraudsters' objective in these attacks is to siphon large amounts from high balance accounts, hence the name chosen for this research - Operation High Roller," the report said.

"If all of the attempted fraud campaigns were as successful as the Netherlands example we describe in this report, the total attempted fraud could be as high as 2bn (?1.6bn)."

The automated malicious software programme was discovered to use servers to process thousands of attempted thefts from both commercial firms and private individuals.

The stolen money was then sent to so-called mule accounts in caches of a few hundreds and 100,000 euro (?80,000) at a time.

Credit unions, large multinational banks and regional banks have all been attacked".

LINK; http://news.sky.com/...ack-on-60-banks

video link below;

http://news.sky.com/...ck-on-60-banks#

http://news.sky.com/story/952931/fraud-ring-in-hacking-attack-on-60-banks#

maroonlegions

Following on from my last post i touched on the MI5 chief stressing a possible cyber attack, here is the article below,again this is probably NOT related to NatWest/RBS but as i love a conspiracy and those that do too i thought i would throw this into the mixer.I MADE ADD THAT I HAVE EDITED OUT SOME TEXT FROM THIS ARTICLE SO THAT THE RELEVANT BITS ARE SEEN;My aim of this thread was to get those who love a wee conspiracy fix now and again instead of EastEnders to have a wee banter.ML;woot.gifCONSPIRACY.pngcornette.pngknowyourrole.gif

MI5 fighting 'astonishing' level of cyber-attacks;

By Gordon CoreraSecurity correspondent, BBC News;

MI5 is battling "astonishing" levels of cyber-attacks on UK industry, the intelligence agency's chief has said.

QUOTE;

"In his first public speech for two years, Jonathan Evans warned internet "vulnerabilities" were being exploited by criminals as well as states.

In the speech on Monday night, Mr Evans spoke of MI5's efforts to tackle "industrial-scale processes involving many thousands of people lying behind both state sponsored cyber espionage and organised cyber crime".

"Vulnerabilities in the internet are being exploited aggressively not just by criminals but also by states," he said.

LINK; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18586681

davemclaren

Was speaking as a neutral Dave. I have done some contracting at RBS but never been permanent.

:thumbsup:

I feel a bit sorry for the guy managing that particular system though. When the realisation of the issue dawned he must have felt just a wee bit low. :unsure:

Fxxx the SPFL

I work for the Scottish Government (I know boo hiss) sorry if I am missing something but surely if you are running new software/systems you install overnight friday/saturday when there is less usage on systems. I appreciate banking is a 24/7 business but surely weekends would be a bit quiter traffic wise.

PS I don't work in IT so don't have a scooby about technical issues all I know is any IT changes are run over wekends.:unsure:

I P Knightley

Aye so mature and by the sounds of his reply he has issues, Like he has a vast knowledge of the UFO subject and situation laugh.gif , could he tell us what impact the following had on the UFO situation like ,"CONDON REPORT,PROJECT PAPER CLIP,GRUDGE, BLUE BOOK",

I'm sorry but how can someone claim to have "knowledge" on the subject of UFOs?

Don't you understand what the "U" part of "UFO" signifies?

and could you even know what any of these terms meant ,without googling it that is.whistling.gif

I have no idea, nor do I have any inclination to Google them. Until someone puts forward a logical, calm and sensible argument without giving me the impression that they're deluded and paranoid, then I'll stick to facts.

While it seems like one is having fun acting the ,"look at me boys i am trying to take the pesh out of some one and make them feel small in front of a internet audience ,it is wise to remember that you know what you are taking about first or you run the risk of appearing like an ignorant six year old who craves attention from his class mates by trying to belittle someone.I have never once in my OP claimed this was a hacking situation but only put it out to see what other thought and i never claimed to be an IT expert too.

You wanted to find out what the response should be.

I could have predicted what the response would be.

You found out what the response was and it was exactly how I would have predicted it to be.

Seems like the JKB rules are flaunted time and time again in these kind of threads and its usually by those who want to be seen as the big time "look at me boys ,funny as feck eh".rolleyes.gifCan take banter but in essence do not really give a feck about peoples opinions of me or when those opinions are based on ignorance and immature attention seeking that is really aimed a selected audience.If you really cared to dig a bit deeper you would probably see that we ALL are just a bunch of mother """"""""" to the real manipulators of this world.If you or he would like to discuss any UFO related issues or even go over the files of some very revealing UFO cases from various countries military intelligences that have been released under the freedom of information acts over on the UFO thread then please do or would that be too much hassle and possibly spoil the comment he made to me in his post and your lapping up of it, who says IGNORANCE IS BLISS EH.laugh.gif

It could also be argued that your OP flaunts the rules by posting something purely to elicit a predictable response; or, at the least (not in a rule-breaking way) seeking attention.

I'm not ignorant of the matters surrounding the NatWest kerfuffle. I spent Sunday with two senior managers within the RBS group who gave me the lowdown on it. It's nowhere near as fruitloopy as you'd like it to be. Anyone with real life experience of dealing with IT outsource consultants will recognise the facts of the case straight away.

I work for the Scottish Government (I know boo hiss) sorry if I am missing something but surely if you are running new software/systems you install overnight friday/saturday when there is less usage on systems. I appreciate banking is a 24/7 business but surely weekends would be a bit quiter traffic wise.

PS I don't work in IT so don't have a scooby about technical issues all I know is any IT changes are run over wekends.:unsure:

Given the criticality of a 24 x 7 banking platform, implementing at the weekend is really only just as good as implementing any other day. Batches run at every given frequency, instantly triggered, hourly, daily, weekly, quarterly, month end, year end etc etc. I think you are right though, implementing at the weekend would have perhaps allowed for a more robust and less risky implementation although arguably they would have got it wrong anyway and the fallout would have been just as great impacting customers for most of the next week. I agree though, I always implement at the weekend, I just think that it might not have made a lot of difference in respect of this particular change. They were probably grateful that they had access to so many people because it was a week day rather than a weekend.

kingantti1874

Given the criticality of a 24 x 7 banking platform, implementing at the weekend is really only just as good as implementing any other day. Batches run at every given frequency, instantly triggered, hourly, daily, weekly, quarterly, month end, year end etc etc. I think you are right though, implementing at the weekend would have perhaps allowed for a more robust and less risky implementation although arguably they would have got it wrong anyway and the fallout would have been just as great impacting customers for most of the next week. I agree though, I always implement at the weekend, I just think that it might not have made a lot of difference in respect of this particular change. They were probably grateful that they had access to so many people because it was a week day rather than a weekend.

major events tend to happen at the weekends...

this was not a major changes, and there are no quiet periods in Rbs though.

maroonlegions

I'm sorry but how can someone claim to have "knowledge" on the subject of UFOs?

Don't you understand what the "U" part of "UFO" signifies?

I have no idea, nor do I have any inclination to Google them. Until someone puts forward a logical, calm and sensible argument without giving me the impression that they're deluded and paranoid, then I'll stick to facts.

You wanted to find out what the response should be.

I could have predicted what the response would be.

You found out what the response was and it was exactly how I would have predicted it to be.

It could also be argued that your OP flaunts the rules by posting something purely to elicit a predictable response; or, at the least (not in a rule-breaking way) seeking attention.

I'm not ignorant of the matters surrounding the NatWest kerfuffle. I spent Sunday with two senior managers within the RBS group who gave me the lowdown on it. It's nowhere near as fruitloopy as you'd like it to be. Anyone with real life experience of dealing with IT outsource consultants will recognise the facts of the case straight away.

SOMEONE WHO CLAIMS KNOWLEDGE ON THE UFO SUBJECT IS ONE WHO HAS STUDIED IT.woot.gif

Dr James E MacDonald a top atmospheric physicist ring any bells .whistling.gif

Listen if you think that berating someone in a thread with a comment like "MOTHER *********UFOs done it"and the FACT that this particular comment,(as you well know), had nothing to do with the TOPIC of my thread is NOT rule breaking then you clearly have selected reasoning.If you do not like a thread or a particular post then do not respond to it,no one including me is forcing you to respond ,its your choice to do so and you know this very well.I can take a bit of banter like most but to suggest i am flaunting any rule is just propitious and down right arrogant. The response i was looking for was that if anyone thought this saga was dragging out far to long for it to be a computer software "glitch". then lets have some views on on it NOT derogatory comments or pesh taking relating to UFOs. Do you really haver trouble understanding this do you really feel you are justified in trying to make out that i am the one craving attention and is flaunting any rules.I have the right to my opinion as you have the right to yours.

Tell me were in my OP i referred to UFOs woot.gif this was used as an attack on me by a certain poster FACT,You have the cheek to suggest that its me who is rule breaking by simply starting a thread for any one who likes a wee conspiracy saga now and again then please show me where in the rules this is rule breaking.laugh.gif Attention seeking was not my purpose of this thread , did you have trouble understanding my post where i specificity stated that my aim of this thread was to engage some like minded CONSPIRACY debate among those who love a wee conspiracy , seems that you have a selected memory here.The real attention seekers and rule flaunters are the ones who post OFF TOPIC AND DEROGATORY remarks aimed at the poster and are seeking a particular response, what response are you trying to seek in your above post with you trying to paint the picture of me as the rule flaunter and attention seeker.

Lets get back to the YOUR UFO comments, are you seriously suggesting that anyone who has spent a number of years looking at a lot of UFO cases, related literature going through the hundreds of released UFO documents on the subject CANNOT have a better understanding of the UFO subject than those like yourself who do not.You are joking right.Again you show your complete lack of any real knowledge on the UFO subject and yes it is a subject, its called UFOLOGY , there might not be university courses on it but its still a subject given the fact that there have been a number of scientific studies and investigation's into it some found nothing to report and some did.Please do not pretend like you know what you are taking about when you refer to UFOs cause you do not, THAT IS SAID WITH NO DISRESPECT INTENDED TO YOU OR OTHERS WHO ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE WEALTH OF DATA ON THE UFO SUBJECT.

What is GRUDGE,BLUE BOOK,SIGN AND CONDON REPORT and what influence did they have on the UFO subject,i ask you again, this question is of importance because the right answers separate those who are in the know and have a lot more knowledge than those who are NOT and are in fact in no position to degrade or play down the significance a subject they know so LITTLE about. Most ppeople are infact ignorant of the UFO subject probally through choice and fear of ridiculelaugh.gif.There are men much more qualified and in the know than you who would consider the "U" in UFO (as you knowledgeable pointed out that mostly everyone knows), highly significant in those cases that defy explanations.You have a term or perception of this "U" as you see fit, probably as "unidentified" something but not ET ,i like others consider this "U" as yes unidentified but through much more knowledge regard this "U" as also POSSIBLE ET origins, that is that difference here, my opinion based on a more knowledgeable data base that led me to this conclusion and yours as a matter of your opinion based on a much less knowledgeable data base.

Want a real discussion on the UFO situation then we can over on the UFO thread, we can go over the released UFO files through the freedom of information acts from various countries including some very eye opening cases that involved senior military intelligences who have sometimes shown that they have a different view on the "U"in UFO. I have provided plenty of links to these files on that UFO thread and have made no secret of the fact that anyone who forms a opinion out of a lack of real research of these kind of documents has to take into account what these files contain and the nature of the conclusions that where reached after the investigations carried out .To make fun of someone that has nothing to do with the TOPIC of the thread is rule breaking,its called "off topic responses aimed at the poster not the topic of the thread, must i drag up and show you that JKB rule AGAIN;

Oh and by the way looks like this computer glitch was possible started in India by a junior IT source.The sourcing to India of call staff ect and some IT was a move by the top brass of RBS.The head of the Bank of England has called for an investigation of the top dogs of RBS for the length of time this saga has taken,make what you want of it but i reserve the right to have my suspicions that there is more to this saga than we are being told as i reserve my right to my educated UFO views in the meaning of the "U" in UFOs.ML

Malcolm Tucker

Have I upset someone else with a throw away comment on Jambos Kickback?

Darn.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Nat West in George Street was heaving with polis a wee while ago and taped off, make of that what you will. :o

Archived