Edinburgh-Glasgow rivalry

mullen13

I've watched 2 or 3 live comedies recently performed in Glasgow where the comedian mentions Edinburgh and nearly the entire audience hurled a chorus of boos (not booze) at the stage, sheer seeth. I've never had any problems with Glaswegians when I go through (apart from their gangster police) but they do always look at you differently if you say your from Edinburgh. I don't think wet have an accent but apparently we do!

Judging by peoples comments on here the feeling is mutual but one of the comedies was taken to Edinburgh where he talked about Glasgow and there was little reaction, just a couple of cheers and some clapping. Is there a massive chip on their shoulders or are they justified?

What do our Weegie jambos think?

It's a bit like Hibs attitude to us.

When you are the inferior half of a double act you need to seethe....

When I'm in Glasgow I walk around looking down my nose at all of them.

I don't really help the arrogant Edinburgh stereotype.

Definite inferiority complex, quite rightly too. Murder capital of Europe, worst health record in the UK and just doesn't compare to our city in terms of beauty and history.

I quite like Glasgow.

Cannae be bothered with the Edinburgh/Glasgow divide stuff, but then again I'm not fourteen years old.

the two cities are no more different than any others in britain.

it's all a pile of pish propogated by people who feel a need to compete over pointless shit.

rossthejambo

If you're at a comedy show or whatever I get the impression it's more pantomime booing than anything else.

Personally, I quite like Glasgow, the accent pisses me off a bit and some of the people are a bit annoying but that's the same everywhere.

Think it's mainly people with the mental capability of a 5 year old who have serious problems with people from the "other city" tbh and are probably just looking for an arguement.

If I'm listening to the radio for example and they report "....And today's top temperatures, Edinburgh 16, Glasgow 14" I admit to thinking "Get in there, 16-14 - take that!"

Childish I know....laugh.gif

I would say it's quite normal for cities that are relatively close by geographically to have a bit of rivalry. It happens all over the country, world even. Newcastle-Sunderland, Liverpool-Manchester, Cardiff-Swansea.

For the vast majority of people it doesn't go beyond a bit of harmless banter.

Is it not pretty normal for two neighboring cities to have some sort of rivalry?

To be honest I hear more anti Glasgow chat in Edinburgh than the other way round.

I have always found this to be the case.You should see the way some of my weegie work mates are treated when they have to work through in Edinburgh. :lol:

Just friendly banter, for the vast majority of people there's no problem with the 'other' city.

I lived in Glasgow for 5 years and got to really quite like the place.

I just love the stereotypes, Edimbuggers are all posh, snobby barstewards and weegies are all complete neds and tramps.

Truthfully I met a few ridiculously posh weegies and some of them were more snobby than any burger I've met. Also, in my five years had one solitary incident of trouble from neds, although ive had a handful in Edinburgh. It was in my final year and I thought it was due, they were following me up the road and shouting random abuse, started shitting myself a bit, then listened to the accent. They were from Edinburgh.

Just a couple of "facts" before going on. Edinburgh is a small city of international renown. It is a destination for many people from the world over who want to attend its universities, many of whom go on to make the city their home. It's world heritage status and as a world class centre of culture and finance puts it in the "A" list of European destinations.

Greater Glasgow is Scotlands only metropolitan area and has undergone massive regeneration during the latter part of the 20th century. As a modern city with a huge population catchment area, it is Scotland's centre of media, retail and (ahem) sport. A footnote to this is that Glasgow has had more public money spent on it in each of the last 4 decades than all of Scotland's other cities combined. Maybe that's as it should be.

Both should be marketed to visitors and world-class destinations worth visiting. I could go on for ever about the good and bad points of each but for the moment, Glasgow has a subway but no Michelin star restaurants. Edinburgh has an unfinished tram and more Michelin star restaurants than any UK city outside London.

Here's the pisser though. Fot the last 40 years, the city fathers of Glasgow (Labour Cooncil) have operated with a massive chip on their shoulders. This is manifest in the slogans they choose "Glasgow's Miles Betters" and "Glasgow - Scotland with Style" Make no mistake, these are massively negative tag lines pointing a finger at everyone else, but most of all, Edinburgh. They seem to believe that ALL public money and major projects should be invested in Glasgow.

I do think that the comedy stuff is a bit of a pantomime booing - but it comes straight from the top. At at these rarified heights, it is most definitely not done for a laugh.

Vincent B.A

the two cities are no more different than any others in britain.

it's all a pile of pish propogated by people who feel a need to compete over pointless shit.

You must admit that a lot of them are poorer though

indianajones

I really dont like the place.

The majority of the birds are mentally unstable, obese or smacked of their tits half the time.

You must admit that a lot of them are poorer though

and a lot of them are richer than some of the poor people in edinburgh. and?

if you want me to say the two cities are exactly the same, then that's not gonna happen. As it stands both cities have a primark on the main shopping street and are as homogeneous as any other city in the UK barring london.

To be honest I hear more anti Glasgow chat in Edinburgh than the other way round.

This.

There seems to be an almighty seethe on here about every week aimed at Glasgow. Some people from Edinburgh have real issues with Glasgow for some reason.

Exactly this.

I have no problems with Edinburgh. Wonderful city. I will always prefer Glasgow though (it's my home, I prefer the nightlife and shopping here, bla bla bla). No one I know has a problem with Edinburgh or people from Edinburgh. Maybe that's because I don't surround myself with morons? Who knows. Yet I keep being told we all have a chip on our shoulder.

As someoneone already said, it's definitely pantomime booing at comedy shows. I'm sure if they mentioned England people would boo in the same way.

The stereotypes about both cities are ridiculous. I know you're not all snobs and I can assure you I'm not a junkie with 8 weans.

winningways

Would agree with this although I think Vlad has stoked up the anti-capital chat down Govan since yesterday. :thumbsup:

I think Billy Connolly Started it to be honest!

In his early days when playing live and Big Banana feet an all that he took every opportunity to have a pop at Edinburgh. I have many friends who are weegies and i must say i seem to have a bigger chip than they do because of Connolly but I cannot stand the accent and it does my head in that people all over the world think all us scots speak like that. My Mrs is from Blackburn West Lothian and was/is largely populated by a weeg overspill and they have weegie accents with Lothianesque words and thats worse.

If I am honest the entire infrastructure of Scotland be it TV,Radio, Press Industry was based in the weeg and we got everything relayed to us with a weegie view point. Its frankly a bit like us in scotland have all the national news London based. The OF thing hasnt helped either as its prolonged this illusion through west that they dominate everything while not quite being able to do it with any class. I remember peshin maself laughing when they became City of Culture some years ago.

I think its turning a bit and Edinburgh is growing while the weeg is getting smaller. I think the financial sector aided that but in current times its probably slowed.

PS

I dont really Blame Connolly but he himself sold out as the very gentry he had a dash at for years he now hob nobs with, its a strange world

Just a couple of "facts" before going on. Edinburgh is a small city of international renown. It is a destination for many people from the world over who want to attend its university, many of whom go on to make the city their home. It's world heritage status and as a world class centre of culture and finance puts it in the "A" list of European destinations.

Greater Glasgow is Scotlands only metropolitan area and has undergone massive regeneration during the latter part of the 20th century. As a modern city with a huge population catchment area, it is Scotland's centre of media, retail and (ahem) sport. A footnote to this is that Glasgow has had more public money spent on it in each of the last 4 decades than all of Scotland's other cities combined. Maybe that's as it should be.

Both should be marketed to visitors and world-class destinations worth visiting. I could go on for ever about the good and bad points of each but for the moment, Glasgow has a subway but no Michelin star restaurants. Edinburgh has an unfinished tram and more Michelin star restaurants than any UK city outside London.

Here's the pisser though. Fot the last 40 years, the city fathers of Glasgow (Labour Cooncil) have operated with a massive chip on their shoulders. This is manifest in the slogans they choose "Glasgow's Miles Betters" and "Glasgow - Scotland with Style" Make no mistake, these are massively negative tag lines pointing a finger at everyone else, but most of all, Edinburgh. They seem to believe that ALL public money and major projects should be invested in Glasgow.

I do think that the comedy stuff is a bit of a pantomime booing - but it comes straight from the top. At at these rarified heights, it is most definitely not done for a laugh.

FTFY

I've watched 2 or 3 live comedies recently performed in Glasgow where the comedian mentions Edinburgh and nearly the entire audience hurled a chorus of boos (not booze) at the stage, sheer seeth. I've never had any problems with Glaswegians when I go through (apart from their gangster police) but they do always look at you differently if you say your from Edinburgh. I don't think wet have an accent but apparently we do!

Judging by peoples comments on here the feeling is mutual but one of the comedies was taken to Edinburgh where he talked about Glasgow and there was little reaction, just a couple of cheers and some clapping. Is there a massive chip on their shoulders or are they justified?

What do our Weegie jambos think?

Edinburgh has an accent alright. And for the record I was born and bred in Edinburgh. Living in Bath now, and whenever I visit I really struggle to understand the accent (only on occasions). The weegie accent being west coast is slightly softer and no where near as thick and a lot easier to understand.

Guest C00l K1d

I'm through there quite a lot and i've never had anything horrible said to be.

Just a bit of banter about having a posh accent etc. Feck knows where that one comes from, i'm from pilton :lol: :lol: :lol:

Archived