Break To New York

HMFC 1874

looking to go away to new york for 3-4 days with the girlfriend, anyone know any reasonably cheap places to look. thanks

We are off on the 9th of May, booked the flights through continental, they fly direct to Newark from Edinburgh and are not bad at all as the flight goes, compared to BA anyway.

Last minute tend to be not bad, will give you a wide range of hotels to look at but tbh mot of these places have access to the same prices.

I looked into last year mate - best deals I found were on expedia.

Continental flights are direct from Edinburgh and very reasonable so you can't really go wrong.

I ended up not going last year, but am planning to go this winter.

My brother was there in 2003 and stayed in the Wellington hotel on 57th near Times Square. He said it was reasonably priced and a great location.

Guest hoggis
My brother was there in 2003 and stayed in the Wellington hotel on 57th near Times Square. He said it was reasonably priced and a great location.

I also stayed in this hotel. Great price for the location. Try skyscanner.net for flights. If your prepared to fly from Manchester or London you may find it works out a lot cheaper. While you are there i recommend Bleeker Street for good bars that also show all the EPL and SPL if you are there during the season.

Marmeladent?rtchen

My tip would be to stay in Manhattan and dont try and save money staying in new jersey etc.

Also if you head over at the end of the summer, they have a 'back to school week' where the govener removes all the tax from clothes. Not sure which week it is thou, but if you are going for shopping it could be worth it.

Enjoy.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Try and book a hotel thru an american website and pay in dollars might be a good tip given the current rate of exchange

My tip would be to stay in Manhattan and dont try and save money staying in new jersey etc.

Also if you head over at the end of the summer, they have a 'back to school week' where the govener removes all the tax from clothes. Not sure which week it is thou, but if you are going for shopping it could be worth it.

Enjoy.

Probably the week before schools go back

Pauliewalnuts
looking to go away to new york for 3-4 days with the girlfriend, anyone know any reasonably cheap places to look. thanks

We've used "city and show" for the last few years and found some good deals with them, if funds are tight try renting an apartment, good luck.

jack D and coke

Stayed at a place called the Mlford Plaza just off Times Square and Broadway. Location wise it's the business.

Been a few times;

The Novotel on Times Square has an excellent view if you request the correct room ;).

Also stayed at the Mansfield Hotel which is a kinda boutique hotel but a great location (like above) 44th street and almost on 5th Av, that said from what I remember it was kinda pricey????

we stayed in a cheap hotel, on central park west & 106

rooms are small, but clean and the staff are really good too.

unlike some places the hotel vending machine doesn't have beer but you're a gnats knacker from harlem, 2 blocks from the metro (about a 3 minute walk) and 4 blocks from broadway (5 min walk)

hotel was called astor on the park, and if you google it, pay no attention to the reposts cos the management has changed since the bad revues, and we found the place to be great.

its not that central if you want to walk to times square for example, but the metro takes you everywhere in minutes.

last trip there we stayed at the doubletree suits, right on times square. expensive i think, but cos we got it as part of the deal, didn't work out badly at all. the 5 nights cost us, including flights about ?700

also if you have a royal bank of scotland account, look into upgrading the account to premier, cos you'll get a travel adviser and anything you see online or at the travel agents, then call them up and say "i say this at ?xxx" and they will try to better it, oh and that account give you free travel insurance too if you don't already have any

thanks for all help, will continue looking, slthough will be put on hold for a while due to me losing my job. what timeing eh :rolleyes:

As above, used Expedia to book and flew Continental direct from Edinburgh.

We stayed here last year for a week, on West 48th Street, just a 2 minute walk (literally) to Times Square.

http://www.belvederehotelnyc.com/

For some reason it was a lot cheaper to fly in there on the 4th July (thought it would have been more expensive then!) :confused:

thanks for all help, will continue looking, slthough will be put on hold for a while due to me losing my job. what timeing eh :rolleyes:

You've lost your Job between 1.05 pm Yesterday and 1.16pm today!! :eek:

WTF did you DO???

You've lost your Job between 1.05 pm Yesterday and 1.16pm today!! :eek:

WTF did you DO???

:oopsoops:

long story! na wasnt working yesterday, monday-friday job mate. just went in today and had a run-in with my boss, wasnt plesent. enuff said! :o

Marmeladent?rtchen
Probably the week before schools go back

lol, very good!! I think you know what I mean. :oopsoops:

Stuart Lyon

Stayed in the hotel that Robert Di Niro stopped outside briefly in Taxi, It was in a really good location but the apartment needed a bit of love and care. It was just about 200 yards from the Dakota buildings and Strawberry Fields in Central Park. When we were there Jerry Garcia had just died and there were all these hippies holding a candlelit vigil at Strawberry Fields. It was an amazing sight.

Archived