3 moments that define your life as a Hearts fan

lewis2006

Hampden - 10.05.86: I was only 7 but remember it like yesterday. End of nightmare week in our history.

Easter Rd - 01.04.07: Zaliukas scoring in the 81st minute to sink Hibs before their ill advised League Cup parade. Then us singing 'bring out the wee cup', 'shoes off' & 'big team big cup' etc for 20 minutes while the Hibees had to sit and take it. Eventually the police threw us out. One copper actually said "come on now lads, you've tortured them enough".

Hampden - 19.05.12: The greatest game in history, is the game on 19th May, FTH...

1998 final

2006 semi

2012 final

Something epic in 4 years time?? These events are getting increasingly frequent.

Gav Aitchison

May 19 would top the most-enjoyable list, but for defining moments, I'll say.....

1) The 1995 semi-final against Airdrie. On my 13th birthday. Never even contemplated we might lose; was just wondering if we'd play Hibs or Celtic in the final. Never made that mistake again!

2) The 1998 final. So many people had waited so long. Even if we never won a game again, we'd always have been able to look back on that.

3) Prague away 2006. The tie was over after the home leg, but the away leg was what gave rise to us forming York Hearts, which has been the context for my life as a Jambo in the past six years.

This is difficult.

Defining moments is the key not successful ones necessarily.

Dens is the first. Having though our win over Dundee united had essentially won the league to lose on the last day was a defining moment and had a long lasting impact in the club.

1998. Always the bridesmaid became the bride that day. That this day was a defining moment is partly shown by the fact we have won the cup twice since. Any hearts fan from between 86 and 98 will vouch for how difficult that last hurdle to win something became. 1998 changed that for us.

The next one is maybe a surprise but I reckon our semi win against Celtic this year was a defining moment.

That club have done it to us so often in league and in THAT cup semi final. That late winner against Celtic was closure to a lot of pain - not sure if any other 30 or 40 something's agree?

1) Has to be Bordeaux away, was such an unbelievable victory

2) Loved Bouzids diving header in the final minutes to defeat celtic 2-1

3) Has to be the greatest derby of all time not just because of the scoreline but because of the atmosphere the fear of losing and the joy of winning the game, I probably will never go to a bigger game in my life and i'm only 21

Mind we won 5-1.

That was gid!

Then we won 5-1 in the cup final.

That was gidder.

:jj::

The next one is maybe a surprise but I reckon our semi win against Celtic this year was a defining moment.

That club have done it to us so often in league and in THAT cup semi final. That late winner against Celtic was closure to a lot of pain - not sure if any other 30 or 40 something's agree?

It's not necessarily one of the defining moments for me, but the semi-final was certainly the best part of this year's winning Cup campaign. Nothing in the weekend of 19-20th May - wonderful though it all was - matched the sheer chaos and raw emotion of Skacel's goal going in just after half-time against Celtic.

Three is too small a number of defining moments to choose from, so I'm going to miss out the Cup wins and go for three from my earlier days as a Hearts fan.

1. First game - a 5-2 win:

197009260120Airdrieonians205-220Tyn.jpg

2. All is not well. Relegated 1977. (I liked John Hagart, though.)

imagesqtbnANd9GcRO-gBkDfUZ6TIsIf0Rk.jpg

3. 03/09/1983: a star is born, and the modern era is here to stay.

1983090302-1.jpg

Teuchterjambo

1965 - Tynecaste V Kilmarnock

1986 - Dens v Dundee

1998 - Parkhead v Rangers

The OP related to the 3 defining moments and this was the three for me also.

1965 - I walked out of Tynecastle as a devastated 15 year old but with a conviction in my mind that there would be other opportunities - I thought we would always be up there.

1986 - 21 years later before the opportunity came to expunge the memories of 1965 only to suffer the same fate - finally realised that this was the more likely scenario for us than my optinism of 1965.

1998 - Finally all the heartbreak was over 33 years after it begun and when the final whistle went this particular 48 year old by that time just sobbed uncontrollably for a couple of minutes.

I have to add a 4th when I attended my first ever Hearts match - I was probably about 9 years old and I stood in awe as legend after legend walked past this 9 year old wee boy at Victoria Park Dingwall for a pre season friendly against Ross County. I am not absolutely sure but it was either Bobby Blackwood or John Cumming stopped and spoke to me and that was it for me - I was a Hearts fan from that moment on it couldn't be any other way.

They were all I suppose character building and the first two made the third one so much better. Never have I envied the supporters of any other club for their success - the privilege of supporting the Hearts of Midlothian goes far beyond league and cup titles and when they come our way like the recent cup final they are all the more precious.

- at the final

Mind we won 5-1.

That was gid!

Then we won 5-1 in the cup final.

That was gidder.

:jj::

I was going through my DVDs yesterday and when I saw the 5-1 De Vries game. We own Hibs to such an extent that it might not even make my top 5 favourite derbies.

:what:

A 3-0 Scottish Cup 4th round win v Aberdeen?

I remember this game for having the entire Aberdeen suport chanting "you fat *******" towards me,was rather embarrising

I've rather greedily opted for four as each of these are important for different reasons.

1996 Hearts vs Red Star Belgrade in the Cup Winners Cup

0,,10289~8431530,00.jpg

I'd been going to Hearts games since early 1993 and had experienced a few last minute defeats along the way but this was the first time I'd left Tynecastle (or indeed any Hearts game up until that point) with a feeling of emptiness. Just shocked that we were knocked out of Europe after the high of going a goal up. I loved the strip we wore that night too. I believe we wore this strip again in the Coca Cola Cup Final a couple of months after this match.

16th May 1998 Hearts v Rangers in the Scottish Cup Final

0,,10289~3604289,00.jpg

Being 14 at the time of this match I had obviously not seen us win any major honours. After such a fantastic season and just falling short at the final hurdle in the league it was truly fitting that such a great side were rewarded with ending our 36 year trophy hoodoo. My Dad was so overcome with nerves on the day that he had to go for a walk at around 2pm, returning home at about 5.05pm. In the time during this I was left to watch the match on my own in the house and take in the enormity of what was unfolding. When I looked out the window at 5.05pm and saw my Dad wandering down the street towards the house was a moment that will live with me forever. I ran out of the house, ran up to my Dad shouting " We won, we won!" and hugged him like what felt for an eternity. Fantastic.

15th April 2012 Celtic v Hearts in the Scottish Cup Semi Final

rudi-skacel-image-1-574447075.jpg

Now this match is very recent but due to the way the match transpired and ultimately what happened afterwards is why I have included this. From the moment Rudi went round Foster and slammed the ball home, it became apparant that perhaps we could beat Celtic at Hampden. I've heard all the stories from Dad and older friends about the 1988 semi final against them and to exact revenge and with a last minute penalty was so so sweet. The defining moment of this day was what happened shortly after the final whistle. Tears. And lots of them.

19th May 2012 Hibs v Hearts in the Scottish Cup Final

art-svMCGOWAN-420x0.jpg

Now I've seen us win the Scottish Cup 3 times in my lifetime. In 1998 I regrettably wasn't in attendance. In 2006 the game was so draining that upon returning to Edinburgh I got a Chinese take away and went straight to bed!! The 19th of May however was an event that I was truly able to celebrate - with shed loads of booze!!! From drinks at a friends flat in Glasgow (abusing Hibees at 10am in the morning with some friendly banter walking through the city centre) to the Church on the Hill. Then arriving at Hampden and bouncing along to Cum on feel the noize. There were 18 of us all sitting together and to share the greatest derby win in our clubs history with them was something special. The party that followed was pretty epic too. Not much sleep had from Friday evening until Monday morning but well worth it for memories that will last a lifetime.

I've rather greedily opted for four as each of these are important for different reasons.

1996 Hearts vs Red Star Belgrade in the Cup Winners Cup

0,,10289%7E8431530,00.jpg

I'd been going to Hearts games since early 1993 and had experienced a few last minute defeats along the way but this was the first time I'd left Tynecastle (or indeed any Hearts game up until that point) with a feeling of emptiness. Just shocked that we were knocked out of Europe after the high of going a goal up. I loved the strip we wore that night too. I believe we wore this strip again in the Coca Cola Cup Final a couple of months after this match.

16th May 1998 Hearts v Rangers in the Scottish Cup Final

0,,10289%7E3604289,00.jpg

Being 14 at the time of this match I had obviously not seen us win any major honours. After such a fantastic season and just falling short at the final hurdle in the league it was truly fitting that such a great side were rewarded with ending our 36 year trophy hoodoo. My Dad was so overcome with nerves on the day that he had to go for a walk at around 2pm, returning home at about 5.05pm. In the time during this I was left to watch the match on my own in the house and take in the enormity of what was unfolding. When I looked out the window at 5.05pm and saw my Dad wandering down the street towards the house was a moment that will live with me forever. I ran out of the house, ran up to my Dad shouting " We won, we won!" and hugged him like what felt for an eternity. Fantastic.

15th April 2012 Celtic v Hearts in the Scottish Cup Semi Final

rudi-skacel-image-1-574447075.jpg

Now this match is very recent but due to the way the match transpired and ultimately what happened afterwards is why I have included this. From the moment Rudi went round Foster and slammed the ball home, it became apparant that perhaps we could beat Celtic at Hampden. I've heard all the stories from Dad and older friends about the 1988 semi final against them and to exact revenge and with a last minute penalty was so so sweet. The defining moment of this day was what happened shortly after the final whistle. Tears. And lots of them.

19th May 2012 Hibs v Hearts in the Scottish Cup Final

art-svMCGOWAN-420x0.jpg

Now I've seen us win the Scottish Cup 3 times in my lifetime. In 1998 I regrettably wasn't in attendance. In 2006 the game was so draining that upon returning to Edinburgh I got a Chinese take away and went straight to bed!! The 19th of May however was an event that I was truly able to celebrate - with shed loads of booze!!! From drinks at a friends flat in Glasgow (abusing Hibees at 10am in the morning with some friendly banter walking through the city centre) to the Church on the Hill. Then arriving at Hampden and bouncing along to Cum on feel the noize. There were 18 of us all sitting together and to share the greatest derby win in our clubs history with them was something special. The party that followed was pretty epic too. Not much sleep had from Friday evening until Monday morning but well worth it for memories that will last a lifetime.

Fantastic post. The second part just about had me greeting.

:thumbsup:

Cheers! Was welling up a little as I was typing it!

It has been hard choosing just three!

However, I believe these are the ones that I just cannot forget:

1. watching us lose the league to Killie in 1965 at Tynecastle.

2. watching us lose the league at Dens in 1986 AND

3. watching us win the Big Cup in 1998 with my daughter seeing us lift the Cup for the first time!

There have been many European away games that are great memories but these three will always be remembered - yes I was there when we lost 7 - 0 but that has now been put well and truly to bed - it was after all only one game, not a league title nor a Big Cup win. I was also present the first time we were relegated from the top flight of Scottish football. That's what it is all about UPS AND DOWNS! C'mon the JT's!

heartsvdundee9mmcopy.jpg

Dens.

fyssas-hearts-red-2006.jpg

Hearts 2 Celtic 3 1/1/06

I sent two texts to my good friend who couldn't make the game that day. The first at half time read,...

"I have just witnessed the most complete footballing performance in all my years watching Hearts."

The second, at full time read...

"This has been a 90 minute synopsis of my life as a Hearts supporter"

This game was also the first and so far only time that my son (then 10yrs) cried at a game. Even a 10 year old could sense the injustice and recognise the ineptitude of Brines.

article-2146839-132DB05F000005DC-328_468x341.jpg

Despair, hurt, injustice and occasionally brief but incredible highs.

Libertarian

I was there on that black day on New Years Day 1973. I was also at Dens & Hampden in 1986 and I really thought nothing would ever make up for that. Despite seeing us win the Cup in 1998 (Great experience) and 2006 I still felt emotionally scarred by Dens Park in 1986, however May 19th 2012 has now made up for that and helped me to put that pain away, and although I would still love to see us win the SPL, I doubt if even that experience will be as good as stuffing the Hibbies 5-1 in the Scottish Cup Final.

0105h7.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1998051601.jpg

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/196/hibernianvheartsscottis.jpg/]hibernianvheartsscottis.jpg[/url] Uploaded with ImageShack.us

THIS! :thumbsup:

Although, for some reason, it's the bitter low of 1986 that seems to have left a permanent scar.

It's easy to forget how much Dens park had/has an effect on my life. When it happened I was a thirteen year old laddie and I'm not ashamed to admit I was blubbing like a bairn at the end. I still get goosebumps now whenever I talk about that day. Yes, we've had highs and lows as Hearts supporters, and maybe it does say something, that no matter what highs I have enjoyed since then, they have never really made up for what happened on May 3rd 1986.

I think what I'm trying to say is this ..... we have all enjoyed some great occasions as Hearts supporters - 1998 cup win and last month's fun and games probably top of the list. However, for people of a certain age, the dark cloud of 1986 will always be with us, until the day we die.......

THIS! :thumbsup:

Although, for some reason, it's the bitter low of 1986 that seems to have left a permanent scar.

It's easy to forget how much Dens park had/has an effect on my life. When it happened I was a thirteen year old laddie and I'm not ashamed to admit I was blubbing like a bairn at the end. I still get goosebumps now whenever I talk about that day. Yes, we've had highs and lows as Hearts supporters, and maybe it does say something, that no matter what highs I have enjoyed since then, they have never really made up for what happened on May 3rd 1986.

I think what I'm trying to say is this ..... we have all enjoyed some great occasions as Hearts supporters - 1998 cup win and last month's fun and games probably top of the list. However, for people of a certain age, the dark cloud of 1986 will always be with us, until the day we die.......

For some of us the pain of 1965 is still there buries deep inside as well. It's my one wish before I eventually depart this mortal coil to see us win the league again!

I had a wee bubble at that bit, its kind of every boys dream to celebrate with their dad.

• 3 weeks later...

Hearts-RedStarBelgrade-22.08.96-L.jpg

The first 'proper' game I can remember going to, sitting in the old Gorgie Stand at 7 years old, rain absolutely teeming down, and just the atmosphere, how great it was, and the emptiness at full time.

0,,10289~3474196,00.jpg

The Fact for so long in this game we were losing, and then Neil Jancyzk comes on to the sheer abuse of 'who are you' they definately knew who he was at the end of the match, just the delerium of the away end as Stampy stuck it home, that it wasnt noticed until I got home that he was sent off.was great to ram it up those scumbags thinking they were better than us.

0,,10289~542889,00.jpg

Thursday 25th November 2004, St jakob Park Basel

Drawing 1-1 up against it for so long in the game, 89th minute, and up pops Robbie Neilson, absolute pandemonium in the Hearts end, our only group points, but what a trip, german market, the trams, going to the stadium and initially missing it bcos of all the shopping centre around it, the bratwurst and beer (great at 15 years old) even though it was cold, was amazing place to go to.

19926071.jpg

May 16th 1998

First time I have seen the Hearts win the cup in my lifetime, I was 9 years old and was an amazing game, one of my odd memories is that around this time (possibly same day) was the FA cup final and Match magazine included an inflatable FA CUP free to celebrate that occasion, I took mine with me thinking I was the bees knee's for having it, only to find my dads pals wee laddie (a year younger than me) had the same idea, didnt feel quite so smug after haha.

and of course, what definition is complete without...

Hibernian+v+Hearts+Scottish+Cup+Final+gVGOSU20l-_l.jpg

Behind my son being born, best day of my life, even though I was fairly hungover from a drinking session the night nothing could beat the feeling of joy that, day, as soon as mcgowan scored I was off 20 rows from where I wasd sitting, just joy, make it better against them, and getting a text at 3-1 calling us 'cheating c**ts' bcos it was 'never a foul' for the pen. havent heard much from that guy since...

I know Im being greedy, but 3 is not enough, these 5 are my ultimate hearts moments

robbo6.jpg

_41405299_pressley300.jpg

13565637.jpg

How we have been spoiled.

Not really......but how good does it feel to look at those 3 photos and not one is in black and white? I never ever want Hearts to go 36 years(or more) without a trophy ever again.....

I hope this is becoming a gradual habit setting in which becomes more frequent through time :thumbsup:

Clerry Jambo

1. Relegation in 77, sobbed my wee heart out behind the goals

2. Dens 86, fantastic season ever following the famous, apart from the obvious

3. Cup 98 v Rangers, honestly dont even think the Hibs final topped that weekend for me

1. Relegation in 77, sobbed my wee heart out behind the goals

2. Dens 86, fantastic season ever following the famous, apart from the obvious

3. Cup 98 v Rangers, honestly dont even think the Hibs final topped that weekend for me

Link?

This

0,,10289~5384035,00.jpg

This

robbo6.jpg

This

hearts-image-2-197285719.jpg

I could post more but I will be here all fecking night, I love the JTs ever since my first game against Ayr in 1976 thumbsup.gif

Radioactive Mince

Not really......but how good does it feel to look at those 3 photos and not one is in black and white? I never ever want Hearts to go 36 years(or more) without a trophy ever again.....

I hope this is becoming a gradual habit setting in which becomes more frequent through time :thumbsup:

Hey mate (or anybody)...

Is that Marian Kello wearing his blue gilet in the Skacel trophy pic? Can't decide, but given the expression on his face I'm both pretty convinced and spewing for him :(

i wish jj was my dad

3 May 86 - The day I grew up. It insulated a lot of the pain after that. Nothing else could compare.

16 May 98 - The day I never thought I'd see. It was played in slow motion. Especially when McCoist went down in/out the box

19 May 12 - the most nervous I've ever been in my life. 1nil would have killed them for a lifetime so even at 4-1 I was screaming keep the ball! Afterwards watching it on telly, sober, I can't believe it wasn't 10-1

We're in for some rough times ahead but I've lived through not being good enough to get out of Div. 1. I don't see that happening again.

Suck up the rough stuff and enjoy the good times!

• 2 weeks later...
J.T.F.Robertson

Sap! :angry:

It was just goosebumps with me. :P

Archived