3 moments that define your life as a Hearts fan

lewis2006

As it says on the tin :thumbsup:

1) At the age of 10 I went to my first Scottish Cup final and watched us get destroyed by Rangers 5-1 at Hampden. Tears were shed. However 2 years later in 1998 I witnessed history at Parkhead. The lasting memory from that game was the award of a free kick to Rangers in the 81st minute when every single Hearts fan thought Mr Young had pointed to the spot. Thankfully it was an optical illusion and we held out for arguably our (2nd :whistling: ) greatest ever result...

adamtn.jpg

2) Sir Paul....what more can you say?? The game was won before the whistle was blown...

27f.jpg

3) The day of destiny? Nothing changes? Aye right then...the day we crossed the T's and dotted the i's. Gorgie Rules :thumbsup: Will never be topped.

hearts-manager-paolo-sergio-celebrates-winning-the-scottish-cup-final-782475667.jpg

Jimmy McNulty

1. First game sometime in 1979. We were shite but I was hooked.

2. Dens. But knew I could never give up on the team I loved.

3. 19/5/12. We own those manks forever...

In pics :whistling:

First game must have been in 1954. Can't remember it. One advantage of my age is that I have clear memories of Hearts winning trophies on a regular basis. Best game however was 2nd April 2006. Just loved being back for that and watching a superb Hearts team with 22,000 Jambos for company.

brunoatemyhamster

1-Heart-Slavia 1992.The Gambian Carlos should watch that game because THAT is how you take a free-kick.I remember starting right down the barrel as Snoddin hit it. WOOOOOOOOOOOF!

Baird%20Scores%20v%20Slavia%20Prague.jpg

2-Hibs Heart cup Easter road 1994 Wayne Foster. i remember there was a guy on the broadcast scaffolding with a big 21 birthday key to the door and he was still there when i got home and put the telly on!

hearts200294pic.jpg

3-BIG DERBY 19/05/12 . end off!

article-2146839-132DB05F000005DC-328_468x341.jpg

Radioactive Mince

you're doing it wrong :verymad:

hearts200294pic.jpg

I'd not long been at my forst few Hearts games. Watching this on the telly with my Dad, I knew I loved this club.

33u5ruh.jpg

I know 1998 happened in between, but I didn't actually realise the significance at the time, even though my old man was greetin'. I wasn't there. Was there in '96 tae :sob: Anyway, Braga was* my favourite EVEr memory of supporting Hearts. Pished oot my ***** in the Braga stadium, crying tears of unbridled joy as we famously became the first Scottish club to make the group stage. That's a not long turned 21 me in the bottom right, happy as fecking Larry and with rakes more hair than I have now :(

* - Until this:

10.jpg

FACT. END OFF.

Sitting in the Cpl's mess in Ismailia listening to Hearts win the League Cup. 1954

Watching Hearts win the Scottish Cup at Hampden 1956

Watching Hearts humiliate Hibernian FC while winning the Scottish Cup on 19th May 2012.

Radioactive Mince

Sitting in the Cpl's mess in Ismailia listening to Hearts win the League Cup. 1954

Watching Hearts humiliate Hibernian FC while winning the Scottish Cup on 19th May 2012.

I love and respect you in equal measure, Bob. What I'd give to have seen all you've seen.

RoddieMacDonald.jpg

Scored the first Hearts goal I ever saw in the flesh, way back in 1986.

731026_640x360.jpg

Twelve years later, we finally get the silverware we deserved.

532262176.jpg

And then, of course, THE greatest game in history.

jj.png

1, dad took me to my first hearts game on feb 3rd 1996 age 8, still have the "matchday magazine" we beat raith 2-0 goals from robbo and locke

1stprog.jpg?t=1339235342

2, 1998 cup win, wasnt actually at the game, my old man went without me :verymad: but remember jumping around the living room a lot

19926088.jpg

3, i will remember this game as long as i live, and im so happy i was there to be part of the most historical derby ever

13565647.jpg

1965 - Tynecaste V Kilmarnock

1986 - Dens v Dundee

1998 - Parkhead v Rangers

As it says on the tin :thumbsup:

1) At the age of 10 I went to my first Scottish Cup final and watched us get destroyed by Rangers 5-1 at Hampden. Tears were shed. However 2 years later in 1998 I witnessed history at Parkhead. The lasting memory from that game was the award of a free kick to Rangers in the 81st minute when every single Hearts fan thought Mr Young had pointed to the spot. Thankfully it was an optical illusion and we held out for arguably our (2nd :whistling: ) greatest ever result...

adamtn.jpg

2) Sir Paul....what more can you say?? The game was won before the whistle was blown...

27f.jpg

3) The day of destiny? Nothing changes? Aye right then...the day we crossed the T's and dotted the i's. Gorgie Rules :thumbsup: Will never be topped.

hearts-manager-paolo-sergio-celebrates-winning-the-scottish-cup-final-782475667.jpg

By saying those 3 moments 'define' being a Hearts fan would give the impression being a Hearts fans is constant glory and success. B0LL0CKS. It's a rollercoaster of joy and misery.

The definition of being a Hearts fans would be winning the Scottish Cup - Fax Machine - Stevie Frail - Losing to Airdie - Winning the Scottish Cup again - Losing another manager

By saying those 3 moments 'define' being a Hearts fan would give the impression being a Hearts fans is constant glory and success. B0LL0CKS. It's a rollercoaster of joy and misery.

The definition of being a Hearts fans would be winning the Scottish Cup - Fax Machine - Stevie Frail - Losing to Airdie - Winning the Scottish Cup again - Losing another manager

Perhaps you should, I dunno, actually read the thread title.

Unless of course you do actually have a deep insight into the lives of people on the internet that you've never met.

Focusing on the good times and ignoring the bad ain't such a bad philosophy. I know what you mean though, 1986 will always haunt me.

1. The Foster Derby - always supported Hearts went to quite a few games before then, my first derby this game was where the bug truly bit and I've never looked back

2. 16th May 1998 - only 18 cant remember 86 but after 88, 95 & 96 this felt like a long time coming, ps I called the Willie Young free kick early as Odd will testify when he had his head in his hands and heard me shout "he's given a fecking free kick"

3. 19th May 2012 - doesn't beat 98 for me but its an incredibly close second and was a thoroughly more enjoyable game (no tension)

Edit on my iPod so no pics

I mentioned being at the 5-1 Rangers final and I was also at the Airdie semi.

The could have chosen 3 dark memories that have defined being a Hearts supporter but I was pished last night when I made this thread :thumbsup:

1st Hearts game Falkirk away win with a George Fleming hatrick.

1st game at Tynecastle 73 New Years day.

Robbos 1st derby match,3/2 win,2 for Robbo and a Jimmy Bone winner.Start of being decent again and owning Hibs.If we had not won that game everything after could have been so different.

:thumbsup::ninja:

Chris Benoit

1. The Foster Derby - always supported Hearts went to quite a few games before then, my first derby this game was where the bug truly bit and I've never looked back

2. 16th May 1998 - only 18 cant remember 86 but after 88, 95 & 96 this felt like a long time coming, ps I called the Willie Young free kick early as Odd will testify when he had his head in his hands and heard me shout "he's given a fecking free kick"

3. 19th May 2012 - doesn't beat 98 for me but its an incredibly close second and was a thoroughly more enjoyable game (no tension)

Edit on my iPod so no pics

Not just me, I think everybody around us thought it was penalty and had our heads in our hands only to hear someone (him) shouting " free kick, it's a ******* free kick!" think I celebrated that free kick award more than the goals.

Walter Kidd

You remind me of my dear Uncle who regaled me with tales such as yours Bob and is the reason I support Hearts as my old man was a Rangers man.

What I would pay to see him once more to tell him about our latest cup win. All the best Bob.

1998 for me first and foremost but then these two:

Hearts v aberdeen 2006 champs league qualification - tynie was like nothing i have experienced that night.

The big Derby!

:shitwine:

hogggoal.png

Greame Hogg connects with a header on 17/10/1992 to give Hearts a 1-0 victory at Tynecastle. This was my first game, and the start of a wonderful addiction to Heart of Midlothian Football Club.

adammay16.jpg

Stephane Adam celebrates after scoring the 2nd goal in the Scottish Cup Final on 16/05/1998. The day were the dream of Hearts winning a trophy finally became a reality.

airgowser.jpg

Ryan McGowan celebrates putting Hearts 4-1 up in the cup final on 19/05/2012. This was the moment I knew the cup was ours, and Rudi even popped up for a 2nd time to put the cherry on top.

colinmaroon

My second game and I was in the stand above the presentation with Uncle as Hearts lift the Cup in 1956.

post-334-0-75618200-1339242694_thumb.jpg

Hearts tie up League title in 1960 v St Mirren at Love Street. First time I was on the pitch after a game.

post-334-0-94952400-1339242790_thumb.png

Can't remember what game this was!

post-334-0-89968100-1339242869_thumb.png

PS How do you import photos so that they are "full" size?

Dagger Is Back

1976 SC Final

I'd been brought up as a Rangers fan by my Dad for purely religious reasons. His mate a Jambo offered to take me to the game.

I'd been going to Hearts games for about 2 years without my old man knowing, or so I thought!)

It would have been easy for me to fall back on my upbringing after that result but I didn't.

Dens was bad enough but the feeling the week after was even worse. A great season full of promise but yet delivered no silverware. After that double disappointment some would have understood stayIng away.

1998 SC Final

The day when the Always The Bridesmaid tag was lost. I cried that day like many others after the disappointments if 76, 86 and 96.

Christ it felt good!

Bert Le Clos

1. 13th August 1990 - My first Hearts game, went with my Dad. Spurs at home in a friendly, finished 1-1 and Wayne Foster scored. I remember hearing that Gary Lineker and Paul Gascgoine were playing, but I honestly have no idea. My most vivid memories are not being able to see anything, getting shoved all over the place when Hearts scored, and the old toilets abosultely reeking of piss. But I loved it.

2. 16th May 1998 - Doesn't really need any explanation. Had watched Hearts lose two previous finals to Rangers and being honest I didn't hold much hope for this one. The relief was incredible.

3. 2nd February 2005 - Conroversial I know, but the day Romanov took over control of Hearts. Their have been highs, undoubted lows and it's been a crazy ride the whole time and never boring. But I have serious doubts if we'd still be a Tynecastle without him, for better or for worse, we'd never have seen players of the quality of Fyssas, Skacel and Jankauskas at Tynecastle, and we'd never have received ?9m for Gordon, and well over ?2m for Berra and Bednar. More likely we'd be playing in front of crowds of 3000 at Murrayfield with a team of Robbie Sloan's and Joe Hammil's supplemented by Lithuanians.

Despite finishing 8th one season and 5th this season, we've still consistently been the 3rd best in the country, and picked up 2 Scottish Cups in the 7 years since he's been here, which included handing out severe pumpings to Hibs on the way to one and on the biggest stage in the other. So while the day Romanov arrived will never trump the 19th May 2012, I think his arrival is more of a defining moment in my time supporting Hearts than pumping the wee team again.

Vlad-Stupid

1. 13th August 1990 - My first Hearts game, went with my Dad. Spurs at home in a friendly, finished 1-1 and Wayne Foster scored. I remember hearing that Gary Lineker and Paul Gascgoine were playing, but I honestly have no idea. My most vivid memories are not being able to see anything, getting shoved all over the place when Hearts scored, and the old toilets abosultely reeking of piss. But I loved it.

2. 16th May 1998 - Doesn't really need any explanation. Had watched Hearts lose two previous finals to Rangers and being honest I didn't hold much hope for this one. The relief was incredible.

3. 2nd February 2005 - Conroversial I know, but the day Romanov took over control of Hearts. Their have been highs, undoubted lows and it's been a crazy ride the whole time and never boring. But I have serious doubts if we'd still be a Tynecastle without him, for better or for worse, we'd never have seen players of the quality of Fyssas, Skacel and Jankauskas at Tynecastle, and we'd never have received ?9m for Gordon, and well over ?2m for Berra and Bednar. More likely we'd be playing in front of crowds of 3000 at Murrayfield with a team of Robbie Sloan's and Joe Hammil's supplemented by Lithuanians.

Despite finishing 8th one season and 5th this season, we've still consistently been the 3rd best in the country, and picked up 2 Scottish Cups in the 7 years since he's been here, which included handing out severe pumpings to Hibs on the way to one and on the biggest stage in the other. So while the day Romanov arrived will never trump the 19th May 2012, I think his arrival is more of a defining moment in my time supporting Hearts than pumping the wee team again.

^^^^^^^^

Pretty much just this. That was my first game anaw. Dad used to take me to Meadowbank Thistle home games now and again when I was a bairn. Just to get me in to football, neither of us supported them :lol: Was just an England fan before that :smuggy: Spurs was the only reason I went to Tynie that day but I fell in love with the place and told my old man I was a Hearts fan on the way home.

davemclaren

1986 - Dens v Dundee

These three for me.

1965 against Kilmarnock was the first game I was at. My dad took me to see Hearts win the league. Despite the result there was only going to be one team for me after that day. I still have the scarf my dad gave me to wear that day ( claimed he had worn it at the 56 final ) and the badge from it is my avatar.

1986 - Dens Park, couldn't get out of bed the day after that and it wasn't the drink for once. However, in hindsight, we had come so far from being a team seemingly with no future in the late 70s and early 80s.

1998 - still brings a tear to the eye when thinking about it. I really thought I was destimed to never see Hearts lift a trophy.

I have to have fourth which is obviously the win a few weeks ago in the cup final against the wee team. I downplayed it before the match and thought it would never feel as good as 98....but it's getting there. :D

peebles jambo

1986 - Dens v Dundee

my three exactly

yabadabadoo1874again

This was...3-2 game.... the key moment for me. The imperious J Bone and agree that all else stems from that game.

Then cup win at Parkhead.

Then Skacel's left foot into the roof of the net against Celtic at Hampden...this for me was a glorious and momentous moment.

1st Hearts game Falkirk away win with a George Fleming hatrick.

1st game at Tynecastle 73 New Years day.

Robbos 1st derby match,3/2 win,2 for Robbo and a Jimmy Bone winner.Start of being decent again and owning Hibs.If we had not won that game everything after could have been so different.

:thumbsup::ninja:

Dens '86- I still remember being 9 and sitting in my mums house sobbing uncontrolbly.

May '98- first time in my life Hearts won anything meaningful, I was in the pub and had planned to go mental at full-time if we won but ended up standing in a stunned silence barely able to come to terms with the fact we had actually done it.

3 weeks ago- 7-0 ta-ta, 6-2 ta-ta

1 - First ever Hearts game, around 1982. I had an uncle who was Rangers daft and every christmas he would try to get me to become a hun but i never fancied it. First football game ever was at Easter Rd v's Rangers, draped in a union jack flag, Rangers scarf and hat. The game was dull and ended up 0-0, the only highlight that sticks in my mind was that Davie Cooper was absolutely ripping them to bits which i found amusing, always hated Hibs even at that age when i pretty-much knew nothing about football, but i knew that so maybe i was always destined to be a Jambo. The next week or so, i decided that i was goin to go to Tynecastle for the first time, we were in the 1st division at the time and i remember a sparse crowd and we played some team in black & white, possibly Ayr Utd and i'm sure we won 5-0. Well, that was it, rarely missed a home game since and glad i turned my back on one of the bigotbrothers.

2 - Dens Park was awful but i wouldn't have missed it for the world. A few Hibbies still try the piss-take with their Albert Kidd crap but they usually shut up when it's pointed out that at least we got to 7 minutes of winning the Championship, something they know nowt about and if all they can shout about is a player with no connection to them then they really are as sad as furk, also, Dundee needed to win that game to get the final euro spot in a fight with Rangers, something that's easily forgotten.

3 - 1998. Cup Final. Never thought we'd see the team ever win anything but this happened and for me is still the most significant Cup Final and is first with Hibs second and Gretna 3rd. 29 years old and greetin like a bairn as were thousands of others at Parkheid that day, a lot of folk's emotions went back to Dens Park and 12 years of hurt came out. Best day of my life as a Jambo.

Boyces beard

Here are my best 3 moments

Hearts vs Bayern

bayern.jpg

I was a ball boy at this game and was behind the goals at the tynecastle school end. When the ball hit the net ill never forgot looking around and seeing the old shed just go mental,the sway from front to back was emense and that vision will forever be with me.

1998winners.jpg

When we finaly got our hands on the trophy against rangers at parkhead,The first time i actualy shed real tears of joy at a hearts match and im proud to admit it.

thebest.jpg

The finest day in our history, never to be forgoten, The day that will forever as hearts fans, grant us all superior status as human beings and as football fans.

HMFC pumping the hobo's since 1875?

john brownlee

the day I found maroon in my paint box

when I met my future wife she was wearing a maroon mini skirt and seeing Willie Bauld score with his head

of course there were many others but if I had to choose three then thats them and not nessesary in that order

1- 2012 Scottish Cup final - having ?10 on Barr to score first meant once he slammed the ball in I only had to find a measly 10 british moneypounds to buy my season ticket :thumbsup: and for the overall occasion, an absolute fantastic day for every Jambo involved.

2- 1998 Scottish Cup final - first time i've ever shed tears of joy at the football (as a 13 year old laddie)

3- not sure what year it was, but when Robbo equallised at fester road to make it 2-2 (not sure if it was when he equalled the goalscoring record, rings a bell tho)one of many great memories at fester

Near Post Zibby !

1) 7-0 Game. I had been going to games since the late 60s so I already knew how bad we were then. But the shock of that game left me with a pessimism that lasted (reinforced by Dens) for the next 3 decades. Always expecting the worst.

2) the second 1995 (?) Airdrie semi in the 90s. That was the lowest point. Worse than 7-0. Worse than relegation. Worse than Dens.Worse than losing in previous finals and semis to Dundee Utd, Rangers, Aberdeen, St Mirren, Celtic. How could we lose to them ? Again ? Would we ever win something in my lifetime ?

3a)16 May '98. It wasn't so much joy as sheer emotion and relief when we held out for that last 9 minutes.A tear dribbled down my cheek at full-time. The day after was perfect. Sunny beer garden . Warm satisfied glow. Heart felt renditions of the Hearts song. Everything was going to be alright.

Controversial I know to leave out so many Hibs games. 4-1 in 73 ( a bit of pride back) Fozzy. MDV's 4 goal home debut. 4-4. Stampy's last minute winner. Harley's hatrick. And Finally 19 May 2012. I suppose to some degree these wins were all expected. Even Dens was kind of expected - we had been stuttering. The 3 games I have chosen produced something unexpected and really left their emottional mark on me.

Thunderstruck

1. Second Leg v Leipzig in 1976. First seriously big night/win I had been to.

2. 98 Cup Win. First silverware in my time following Herats.

3. Around 17:00 on 19 May 2012 when Capt Zal lifted the Cup.

This is a terrific thread.

Its so difficult to restrict it to just three defining moments but here goes.

THE START AND TRIUMPH

LOVE STREET ST MIRREN 2 HEARTS 3 MARCH 1958

My first season and League Champions with a record 132 goals in one season and 13 points clear {only 2 points for a win then}. I had been getting taken to most of the games that season and thought that was the way it always was .I came from a family that were all Hearts fans and my Dad tried to assure me we didnt always win. Anyway I was well and truly hooked .

THE ABSOLUTE WORST

NEW YEARS DAY 1973 HEARTS 0 HIBS 7

The lowest I have ever felt after a Hearts game I got drunk and made an absolute fool of myself. It seems daft to get so upset over what was basicly the loss of two points and yet I pick that game over the likes of Killie 1965 ,Dens 1986 and countless Scottish Cup Finals and Semis.

THE GREATEST AND UNLIKELY EVER TO BE TOPPED

19/05/2012 For the reasons detailed above I have to pick this over many other triumphs.

That day made my life as a Hearts fan complete .

This is a terrific thread.

Its so difficult to restrict it to just three defining moments but here goes.

THE START AND TRIUMPH

LOVE STREET ST MIRREN 2 HEARTS 3 MARCH 1958

My first season and League Champions with a record 132 goals in one season and 13 points clear {only 2 points for a win then}. I had been getting taken to most of the games that season and thought that was the way it always was .I came from a family that were all Hearts fans and my Dad tried to assure me we didnt always win. Anyway I was well and truly hooked .

THE ABSOLUTE WORST

NEW YEARS DAY 1973 HEARTS 0 HIBS 7

The lowest I have ever felt after a Hearts game I got drunk and made an absolute fool of myself. It seems daft to get so upset over what was basicly the loss of two points and yet I pick that game over the likes of Killie 1965 ,Dens 1986 and countless Scottish Cup Finals and Semis.

THE GREATEST AND UNLIKELY EVER TO BE TOPPED

19/05/2012 For the reasons detailed above I have to pick this over many other triumphs.

That day made my life as a Hearts fan complete .

I agree when you say 19th May was the greatest. The '98 win should have been because it broke the drought but beating them 5-1 in a final is something you can't really even dream about.

I'm glad we're not silly old sods that it's no' as good as it was in our young day. That 5-1 is just the pinnacle.

Archived