Why would Stevie Frail.....

Captain Canada

Captain Canada

Why would he want to stay at Hearts? His record since taking charge has been good especially given the shambles he inherited.

League games since Frail took over P 15 W 7 D 5 L 3

26 points from 15 games roughly 40% of the season, so multiply the 26 x 2.5 and you've got a points total of 65 if averaged out over the season. I'd put money on neither well, hibs or utd reaching that total in the remaining games.

Despite all this he's been incredible stick even though he's a rookie manager managing in the top flight under unbelievable circumstances.

He's also having to put up with the ridiculous level of expectation from the fans in general.

If I were him I'd walk away at the end of the season even if I was offered the job full time and go somewhere where my efforts were appreciated.

I've seen a lot of his games in charge and yeah it's not been great entertainment most of the time but he's never come out and blamed the lack of quality at his disposal. He did us proud as a player and in my opinion has expertly steadied a sinking ship as a manager.

I don't expect many people to agree with this post. I just wanted to add some balance to the pathetic scape-goating I've read on here recently.

I pity the fool who takes on the managers job for next season - he doesn't stand a chance!

Stevie Frail is the outstanding choice for manager next season, I mean, he takes notes of Romanov's demands so so well.

:rolleyes:

portobellojambo1
Why would he want to stay at Hearts?

Guaranteed personal income possibly, in fact probably, feck it, in fact definitely.

I am not saying he is the right choice for manager, in fact I don't think he is anywhere near the right choice, just giving an answer to the initial question in your post.

Nookie Bear

Outstanding post and I agree with every word.

He can't win though as some folk on here still beLIEve we will see Mark McGhee managing the team next season.

I especially like the comment about him walking away to somewhere he might be appreciated. That would leave the way open for some eastern-European dinosaur to come in (Vlad: "typical Scottish manager, cannot cope with pressure") etc. That'll teach us.

He's not Mourinho but he's working his @ss off trying to move the team forward so, until Jose gives us a call, let's at least respect his work so far.

Why would he want to stay at Hearts? His record since taking charge has been good especially given the shambles he inherited.

26 points from 15 games roughly 40% of the season, so multiply the 26 x 2.5 and you've got a points total of 65 if averaged out over the season. I'd put money on neither well, hibs or utd reaching that total in the remaining games.

Despite all this he's been incredible stick even though he's a rookie manager managing in the top flight under unbelievable circumstances.

He's also having to put up with the ridiculous level of expectation from the fans in general.

If I were him I'd walk away at the end of the season even if I was offered the job full time and go somewhere where my efforts were appreciated.

I've seen a lot of his games in charge and yeah it's not been great entertainment most of the time but he's never come out and blamed the lack of quality at his disposal. He did us proud as a player and in my opinion has expertly steadied a sinking ship as a manager.

I don't expect many people to agree with this post. I just wanted to add some balance to the pathetic scape-goating I've read on here recently.

I pity the fool who takes on the managers job for next season - he doesn't stand a chance!

I wholeheartedly agree. Frail has been up against it from day one and has done well.

Now if he had just won his first 8 games:)

Jambo in Bathgate

I would go further than this Frail has done an exceptional job, vitrually single handed.

Every other coaching set up in the SPL has at least three coaches for the first team. Look at Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen.

All Steven Frail has to help him is a fitness coach and a physio.

Well done Steven Frail: I for one would be sorry to see him lose his job.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

I thought Stevie Frail was one of the best full backs I have ever seen in a Maroon jersey. He was brilliant, Until he got that injury he was a cert for Scotland also.

To me, he was a Hearts great. A far superior player to Walter Kidd or Robbie Neilson for example.

I have the utmost sympathy for him as coach/manager, whatever. I think he gets undeserved stick.

But he was placed in the position he presently holds to be another in a long line of Patsy's to deflect the real blame from the real culprits: The Romanov's.

I do not want Stevie as manager. No way. But he is in an insidious position. He was not born a Jambo, but I believe the HMFC essence has seeped into his blood.

I wish him luck. But he is not our manager.

Dr Ian Malcolm

He's not in his position to deflect blame, hide things etc, he's there to get the best results he possibly can for Hearts - he's done a pretty decent job of that since he's been in charge. I'd like to see him stay in some capacity, whether thats assistant if someone else comes in or first team coach or whatever.

As to why he is still here - maybe he actually enjoys his job? Working for Hearts porbably isn't the never ending torture many make it out to be.

ArmiyaRomanova

Despite the criticisms aimed at Frail because he's failed to drag the team up to the top six, it was actually the pre-xmas performances and results that really damaged our season.

And although I lay the blame for this firmly on team and management performance, I also have some sympathy for Romanov junior's comment (though it was poor practice to fall back on it at the AGM)- does no one else remember that run of extraordinarily appalling refereeing decisions pre-xmas?

Despite the criticisms aimed at Frail because he's failed to drag the team up to the top six, it was actually the pre-xmas performances and results that really damaged our season.

And although I lay the blame for this firmly on team and management performance, I also have some sympathy for Romanov junior's comment (though it was poor practice to fall back on it at the AGM)- does no one else remember that run of extraordinarily appalling refereeing decisions pre-xmas?

whatever rodney!!

Frail has done what he could, however it isn't good enough. If it was we would be top six, if he was exceptional we would've been in that CIS Cup final.

That's the rub, the situation today will be the same as next season, maybe some new faces but essentially the same and if he can't motivate and / or instill a Ferguson type fear of God into the players then he's no use as manager but would be very good as assistant.

Out last 10 SPL games against the 'bottom 10'.

St Mirren home W 3-2

Kilmarnock away D 0-0

Dundee U home W 1-0

Falkirk home D 0-0

St Mirren away D 1-1

Inverness away W 3-0

Motherwell away W 1-0

Gretna home W 2-0

Aberdeen away W 1-0

Hibs home W 1-0

Considering the fact that halfway through the season we were conceeding goals for fun, woefully inconsistant both home and away, deservedly 11th in the table and looking slightly anxiously over our shoulders at Gretna I think Frail's done extremely well. He seems to have completely sorted our defensive problems, and results have definately picked up with the exception of OF games, but I can accept that for now anyway.

The only gripe the fans have with Frail is that we don't play great football or score many goals at the moment, and that we didn't make it into the top 6. The thing is, neither of these things are his fault.

We don't play decent football or score many goals beacause creativity and goalscoring prowess are completely lacking. Velicka was sold leaving fat Nade, mad Pinilla, imposter Makela, imposter # 2 Beniusis, "misfiring" Elliot and "misfiring" # 2 Mole to score the goals. In midfield we've had Kingston out half the season, Cesnauskis barred, Miko inconsitent as usual, Stewart has also "misfired", Audrey and Ivaskevicius are just Miko clones, Jonsson and Palazuelos are defensively minded and Aguiar and McCann have been injured all season. With those options its a wonder we've scored any goals at all.

And we didn't make the top six because we were truely rank for 20 odd games.

IMHO, with the squad and club affairs in general in such a poor state I don't see how anyone can complain at the job he's done.

Only a Game

I have to laugh when people start these Frail threads and gloss over the fact that he was actually the head coach before January and, in that position, presided over a complete and utter shambles. If he wasnt responsible for that in some way, who was, and what has really honestly changed that rule it out from happening again with Frail in that position ?

If the season had started in January with Frail brand new to the club then we'd be in a okay position (third by all accounts) and Frail would be entitled to some credit.

It didnt start in January though did it. It started in August and Frail was in a prominent position when it started.He was only put in sole charge (alledgedly) after the season was clearly over and as a meaningless appeasement to disgruntled fans.

He contributed to the mess we are in now although by no means is he totally responsible.

Some of the results and performances in key games under Frail have been quite shocking. Not as many as before but its still happening and it still would happen IMO under Frail. When the chips have been down and we've been playing the "must win" games, even since January, Frail has been found wanting. The two cup games against Motherwell are prime examples of this. The two goal lead in the home game should have been closed out and would have been closed out by anyone with even the most basic tactical nous.

He's provenly pliable and will bow to Romanovs instructions and interference as he has done in the past, probably is still doing despite what he's saying, and will no doubt continue to do if he lands the job. Thats not the sort of manager we need and not the sort of manager we have been promised.

Very much like a lot of Leveins games, when he was at Tynecastle , yet there seems to be a lot of support for him to return,strange .

I hope he walks at the end of the season too. The guy bottles it in the big games or can't motive the players for those games. Pumped from the OF, could not beat Falkirk at home or a terrible Kilmarnock side to seal a top 6 finish.

File him under not good enough IMO.

Drylaw Hearts
I have to laugh when people start these Frail threads and gloss over the fact that he was actually the head coach before January and, in that position, presided over a complete and utter shambles. If he wasnt responsible for that in some way, who was, and what has really honestly changed that rule it out from happening again with Frail in that position ?

If the season had started in January with Frail brand new to the club then we'd be in a okay position (third by all accounts) and Frail would be entitled to some credit.

It didnt start in January though did it. It started in August and Frail was in a prominent position when it started.He was only put in sole charge (alledgedly) after the season was clearly over and as a meaningless appeasement to disgruntled fans.

He contributed to the mess we are in now although by no means is he totally responsible.

Some of the results and performances in key games under Frail have been quite shocking. Not as many as before but its still happening and it still would happen IMO under Frail. When the chips have been down and we've been playing the "must win" games, even since January, Frail has been found wanting. The two cup games against Motherwell are prime examples of this. The two goal lead in the home game should have been closed out and would have been closed out by anyone with even the most basic tactical nous.

He's provenly pliable and will bow to Romanovs instructions and interference as he has done in the past, probably is still doing despite what he's saying, and will no doubt continue to do if he lands the job. Thats not the sort of manager we need and not the sort of manager we have been promised.

And I have to laugh at how out of touch you are.

Frail may have been Head Coach in name but in reality it was Angel who was heading up the Coaching and Tactics with Romanov working him from the back.

Which is why Angel was re-positioned and not Frail.

Our last 10 SPL games against the 'bottom 10'.

St Mirren home W 3-2

Kilmarnock away D 0-0

Dundee U home W 1-0

Falkirk home D 0-0

St Mirren away D 1-1

Inverness away W 3-0

Motherwell away W 1-0

Gretna home W 2-0

Aberdeen away W 1-0

Hibs home W 1-0

Looking at that, his record is actually not bad at all.

I think the main reasons why people don't want him to continue is his lack of bottle in 'must win' games (4-5-1 at Love St and Rugby Park) and the feeling that he WOULD allow Romanov to continue his interference.

If we get a proper manager at the end of the season we should be thankful of the job he's done in the last couple of months IMO.

Jambof3tornado

I think Frail is a good coach but as for a manager he is far from the finished article. His tactics dont seem to include the ability to change a game in any way,too many like-for-like subs when 17000 fans knew we need to go 2 up front etc. Yes he may be hindered by Vlads presistence in him playing certain players(which is understandable if we are to sell on at a profit)(ie Jose playing yesterday when Wallace is clearly a better talent).

That said if Frail was to be announced as the manager for next season it would be far from wrist slashing time,not the appointment we all want but not the end of the world. The summer months are key to the future of Hearts,many people are waiting for the next reason not to renew,but Shaggy would get support from the many who will support Hearts through whatever is happening.

Perhaps Hearts dont want to appoint someone who will move on at the 1st offer from down south,and know that Frail is far from moving on anywhere better than he is now???

Drylaw Hearts
Looking at that, his record is actually not bad at all.

I think the main reasons why people don't want him to continue is his lack of bottle in 'must win' games (4-5-1 at Love St and Rugby Park) and the feeling that he WOULD allow Romanov to continue his interference.

If we get a proper manager at the end of the season we should be thankful of the job he's done in the last couple of months IMO.

Agreed.

The two games which showed me that Stevie boy did not have managerial ability are the Cup replay at Fir Park and the CIS semi against der hun. Tactical ineptitude and an inability to gel a team shone through loud and clear.

These failings have been there all season from whoever has been in charge.

Go on Vlad. Give us a MANAGER like you promised.:banghead2:

Drylaw Hearts
I think Frail is a good coach but as for a manager he is far from the finished article. His tactics dont seem to include the ability to change a game in any way,too many like-for-like subs when 17000 fans knew we need to go 2 up front etc. Yes he may be hindered by Vlads presistence in him playing certain players(which is understandable if we are to sell on at a profit)(ie Jose playing yesterday when Wallace is clearly a better talent).

That said if Frail was to be announced as the manager for next season it would be far from wrist slashing time,not the appointment we all want but not the end of the world. The summer months are key to the future of Hearts,many people are waiting for the next reason not to renew,but Shaggy would get support from the many who will support Hearts through whatever is happening.

Perhaps Hearts dont want to appoint someone who will move on at the 1st offer from down south,and know that Frail is far from moving on anywhere better than he is now???

This is a double edged sword.

Managers that leave their Club after getting the call down to England are only getting that call because they have done well at their current Club.

Would they only want to sign players who will only ever be good enough to play at Hearts or would they prefere to sign someone who can make the team better before he moves on ?

With very few exceptions, good Managers and good players will always move to bigger/better Clubs when they are doing well.

Do you think Sir David Murray brought Walter Smith back to Rangers with a view to him being in that position long term ?

No. He brought a relatively short term solution to gain him instant success.

He will worry about replacing WS when that situation arises.

Jambof3tornado
This is a double edged sword.

Managers that leave their Club after getting the call down to England are only getting that call because they have done well at their current Club.

Would they only want to sign players who will only ever be good enough to play at Hearts or would they prefere to sign someone who can make the team better before he moves on ?

With very few exceptions, good Managers and good players will always move to bigger/better Clubs when they are doing well.

Do you think Sir David Murray brought Walter Smith back to Rangers with a view to him being in that position long term ?

No. He brought a relatively short term solution to gain him instant success.

He will worry about replacing WS when that situation arises.

But given the time its taken to get someone in do you think Vlad is thinking short term too. I very much doubt it.

I know what you are saying that the best managers will get noticed and move on but we need stability and a manager who is going to hang around for 6 to 12 months wont give us that.

I think I am starting to try and convince myself that Shaggy getting the job will be a good thing,which is nonsense coz his tactical ability is non existant. AHHHHH Hearts stop messing with my head!!!!:confused::confused:

Drylaw Hearts
But given the time its taken to get someone in do you think Vlad is thinking short term too. I very much doubt it.

I know what you are saying that the best managers will get noticed and move on but we need stability and a manager who is going to hang around for 6 to 12 months wont give us that.

I think I am starting to try and convince myself that Shaggy getting the job will be a good thing,which is nonsense coz his tactical ability is non existant. AHHHHH Hearts stop messing with my head!!!!:confused::confused:

He will not get a Manager to GUARANTEE 100% he will stay for 2,3,4 or even 5 years.

Just as VR will not GUARANTEE 100% that he won't sack the Manager within the same period.

He can't have it both ways.

Going by what Roman was saying at the AGM I'm doubtful Vlad is thinking anything about a new manager.

Give the guy a decent enough wage packet and a guarantee of non-interference, he'll be around for long enough to turn the team around.

The Hearts job is a big job and managers know this. With the resources backing the team up a possibility of breaking the OF dominance of Scotland is very tempting for someone looking to break into top flight EPL or a similar type league.

Some great points well made.

SF is NOT the man for the job.

He can't motivate players , his press ramblings are an embarrasment , his 4-5-1 formations are pathetic. But hey , look at the stats !!! I bet even Vlad is falling for this horsesheet.

Captain Canada
Some great points well made.

SF is NOT the man for the job.

He can't motivate players , his press ramblings are an embarrasment , his 4-5-1 formations are pathetic. But hey , look at the stats !!! I bet even Vlad is falling for this horsesheet.

Can't agree his press "ramblings" are an embarrassment. I'll tell you what was though, him being forced to speak to the media earlier in the season and try to justify someone else's decisions because the person in charge couldn't speak good enough English.

As for the formation, if I was in charge I'd play 1 forward too as we simply don't have 2 forwards that are good enough.

Aren't stats what football is all about though? We didn't play brilliantly in all of the 22 unbeaten games against Hibs but it doesn't stop us gloating about it.

Good OP, Frail has done an excellent job in my opinion since being given control.

I cannot understand the flack he gets at games and on this board. I guess some people are just blinkered

Out last 10 SPL games against the 'bottom 10'.

St Mirren home W 3-2

Kilmarnock away D 0-0

Dundee U home W 1-0

Falkirk home D 0-0

St Mirren away D 1-1

Inverness away W 3-0

Motherwell away W 1-0

Gretna home W 2-0

Aberdeen away W 1-0

Hibs home W 1-0

Considering the fact that halfway through the season we were conceeding goals for fun, woefully inconsistant both home and away, deservedly 11th in the table and looking slightly anxiously over our shoulders at Gretna I think Frail's done extremely well. He seems to have completely sorted our defensive problems, and results have definately picked up with the exception of OF games, but I can accept that for now anyway.

The only gripe the fans have with Frail is that we don't play great football or score many goals at the moment, and that we didn't make it into the top 6. The thing is, neither of these things are his fault.

We don't play decent football or score many goals beacause creativity and goalscoring prowess are completely lacking. Velicka was sold leaving fat Nade, mad Pinilla, imposter Makela, imposter # 2 Beniusis, "misfiring" Elliot and "misfiring" # 2 Mole to score the goals. In midfield we've had Kingston out half the season, Cesnauskis barred, Miko inconsitent as usual, Stewart has also "misfired", Audrey and Ivaskevicius are just Miko clones, Jonsson and Palazuelos are defensively minded and Aguiar and McCann have been injured all season. With those options its a wonder we've scored any goals at all.

And we didn't make the top six because we were truely rank for 20 odd games.

IMHO, with the squad and club affairs in general in such a poor state I don't see how anyone can complain at the job he's done.

No particular axe to grind with Frail as I think he's given it everything he has but 2 results stand out n that list. Both 0-0 in "must win" games.

That;s why it's a no for me.

Happy for him to stay as coach or assistant or whatever but no the manager.

Guest casper

The problem with Frail is that he has already shown that he will be manipulated, advised, pressurised, call it what you will, into playing the players romanov wants in the team and I have no doubt that he will continue to do so if he gets the job. The result will be that we are still in square one.

Not especially enamoured at the idea of Frail getting the job, but in his defence he has had to work with a bunch of overpaid muppets with overinflated egos for most of the season! Hardly the easiest people to motivate, I suspect!

Guest casper
Not especially enamoured at the idea of Frail getting the job, but in his defence he has had to work with a bunch of overpaid muppets with overinflated egos for most of the season! Hardly the easiest people to motivate, I suspect!

It's not easy to motivate players who have been told they have the shirt for a certain position then the owners tells Frail to play another player.

It's not easy to motivate players who have been told they have the shirt for a certain position then the owners tells Frail to play another player.

Exactly. So it's probably quite harsh to judge Frail too much.

FWIW, I reckon he'd make a good assistant manager just now.

Cut The Crap

Every season boils down to a few key games. Ours were against Motherwell in the Cup, against Rangers in the CIS Cup and in the league against Falkirk and Kilmarnock. All (apparently) on Frail's watch and we blew them all.

If Frail truly was in charge for those games, then he has amply demonstrated that he's not up to the job and therefore should go. If he wasn't in charge for those games, then he has been lying to the Hearts fans for the past four months and therefore should go.

A nice guy, but he has been part of this corrupt regime right from the very beginning. There should be no hiding place.

Every season boils down to a few key games. Ours were against Motherwell in the Cup, against Rangers in the CIS Cup and in the league against Falkirk and Kilmarnock. All (apparently) on Frail's watch and we blew them all.

If Frail truly was in charge for those games, then he has amply demonstrated that he's not up to the job and therefore should go. If he wasn't in charge for those games, then he has been lying to the Hearts fans for the past four months and therefore should go.

A nice guy, but he has been part of this corrupt regime right from the very beginning. There should be no hiding place.

Agree 100%.

Those above that are pointing out how well he has apparently done fail to take into account that he got us into the bottom six and emptied out of both cups by the end of January.

No Hearts fan was seriously expecting us to challenge for the league this year, but we hoped to be up there fighting for a UEFA cup place and do well in the cups. We were out of contention for europe a long time ago and even the consolation prize of a top six place couldn't be achieved.

Not good enough, sorry.

We need a manager who has the respect of the players and imposes strong discipline on those who step out of line. I don't think we would have endured the Pinilla farce under Craig Levein, for example.

On top of that we need a manager who can read the game and make the right changes in tactics when needed to change things in our favour. The Falkirk and Kilmarnock games alone proved Frail couldn't do it, and Walter Smith owned him in the 4-0 defeat at Tynecastle.

Archived