Virgin Active Fountain Park

Chrambo

Moving upto the Polwarth area of Edinburgh in July and thinking of joining this. I'm currently ?51 a month at David Llyod Newhaven but Virgin is only ?40 a month and would be basically at the bottom of my road. Is anyone a member and is it any good? How busy is it on weeknights? What do the dumbells go upto?

Used to be a member there. It's a good gym if you ask me, although peak times can be really busy, especially in January/February when the New Years' bunch are about.

Dumbbells went up to 40kgs when i was there, and they had one flat bench, incline bench, squat rack and a smith machine along with multiple other machines and a good range of cardio equipment.

Moved to another gym through cost and also for the use of heavier equipment/greater selection of equipment.

One flat bench used to annoy me big time.

Especially as i trained at peak times.

Dumbbells go up to 40.

Used to get too busy, but now I'm at Pure I can't comment. Virgin no doubt lost a lot of members to Pure.

There's a Pure Gym opening on Gorgie Road on 01 Aug. So you will have that option, or it will at least cool Virgin further.

Konrad von Carstein

Dumbbells go up to 40.

Used to get too busy, but now I'm at Pure I can't comment. Virgin no doubt lost a lot of members to Pure.

There's a Pure Gym opening on Gorgie Road on 01 Aug. So you will have that option, or it will at least cool Virgin further.

Where on Gorgie Road?

Where on Gorgie Road?

600 Gorgie Road. (I think that's the address)

Old Bank of Scotland building? Just up from Chesser House.

Opposite a car garage I think?

Dumbbells go up to 40.

Nice one, I didn't realise it was opening so soon. Literally 5 minute walk away...brilliant.

More info, and a map...

http://www.puregym.com/gyms/edinburgh-west

edit: just realised the map doesn't have it pinpointed correctly. if you follow west along the A71/Gorgie Road from Tynie, it should be where it says 'Western Volkswagen' I think.

I don't understand how people can justify a gym with one rack. I don't take lifting particularly seriously but can do pretty much everything with a rack. Can't imagine having to queue for one every time I go in. I'm probably just not imaginative enough.

Creepy Lurker

Went there a couple of times a while back when I spent two weeks going around Edinburgh's gyms getting free trials prior to moving to Stirling. Seemed alright at the time, although it was pretty busy.

Edit: Pure on Gorgie Road's good news.

Konrad von Carstein

Looks like it is across from the old Arnold Clark garage, brick built building diagonally opposite the Shell garage.

Greens is going to suffer I think.

the general

Looks like it is across from the old Arnold Clark garage, brick built building diagonally opposite the Shell garage.

Greens is going to suffer I think.

cheers for the info .. very interesting

btw the pool and steam room in Virgin are really good

Juan Jose Carricondo Perez

I don't understand how people can justify a gym with one rack. I don't take lifting particularly seriously but can do pretty much everything with a rack. Can't imagine having to queue for one every time I go in. I'm probably just not imaginative enough.

So what your trying to say is, you love a good rack? :ninja:

I am not a gym person but was a member for a short time. Do not know what I was thinking of when I joined. Anyway I am not an expert but Infound it very busy and often had to wait for a machine. I also found it very hot and the air conditioning use to break down on a number of occasions.

Due to how little I use gyms, I tend to find them all a rip off You can walk for nothing or cycle for nothing if you have a bike.

Think I'm going to go for the Edinburgh Uni gym instead, only ?100 flat fee for 12 months for students. And they limit the amount of memberships they take on so it doesn't get too busy.

dalkeithjambo

cheers for the info .. very interesting

btw the pool and steam room in Virgin are really good

I'm the maintenance manager there and just had a new sauna fitted. Not before time I might add.

The downfall now is the locker rooms but should have a major refurb starting August. All being well that is.

Think I'm going to go for the Edinburgh Uni gym instead, only ?100 flat fee for 12 months for students. And they limit the amount of memberships they take on so it doesn't get too busy.

Must have changed from when I was at Edinburgh Uni (2007/08) back then the Pleasence gym was ridiculously busy. Some of the equipment was poor as well, although they had plenty of power racks, if that's something your looking for. Didnt like how disjointed it was either having to trek up and down the stairs etc for different exercises.

If your already a member at DL you could consider the 1 at Corstorphine.

Must have changed from when I was at Edinburgh Uni (2007/08) back then the Pleasence gym was ridiculously busy. Some of the equipment was poor as well, although they had plenty of power racks, if that's something your looking for. Didnt like how disjointed it was either having to trek up and down the stairs etc for different exercises.

If your already a member at DL you could consider the 1 at Corstorphine.

Didn't realise the equipment was poor, I may try to set up a visit before I join!

Moving into my first flat next month so the idea of paying ?50 a month + petrol money to get to Corrie DL is not attractive, trying to keep costs down as much as possible.

As I say mate. I haven't been there in about 4 and a half years. I remember at the time all the dumbells were upstairs. But they were in no order, so if you wanted to use for example the 20kgs. U would have to scout around and find a 20kg dumbbell but there wouldn't be another one beside it so you would have to then wander around looking for another 20kg dumbbell!!. That was what I meant by the poor equipment, as I remember there were plenty of machines and power racks.

If you can just pay at the door for a workout, you might as well go in a couple of times around when you would normally train to get a feel for how busy it is at those times.

Biffa Bacon

Nice one, I didn't realise it was opening so soon. Literally 5 minute walk away...brilliant.

More info, and a map...

http://www.puregym.com/gyms/edinburgh-west

edit: just realised the map doesn't have it pinpointed correctly. if you follow west along the A71/Gorgie Road from Tynie, it should be where it says 'Western Volkswagen' I think.

The map just points to Gorgie Road, it is much further to the west than the pointer, and quite a bit further than the Volkswagon garage too, past Balgreen Road, Chesser Chippy Chesser Inn, opposite the Arnold Clark garage.

As I say mate. I haven't been there in about 4 and a half years. I remember at the time all the dumbells were upstairs. But they were in no order, so if you wanted to use for example the 20kgs. U would have to scout around and find a 20kg dumbbell but there wouldn't be another one beside it so you would have to then wander around looking for another 20kg dumbbell!!. That was what I meant by the poor equipment, as I remember there were plenty of machines and power racks.

If you can just pay at the door for a workout, you might as well go in a couple of times around when you would normally train to get a feel for how busy it is at those times.

Im a member up at the pleasance and have been for a year now. I heard all the equipment was renewed and the building refurbed/decorated a few months before i joined.

The gym is in many different sections, Olympic room with 6/7 platforms, entire machine-based room, the vaults downstairs have barbells, dumbbells (up to 70kg) and about 20 adjustable gym benches. The cardio gym is pretty big too. They've obviously invested a lot of money in it because it's first class, and i've used the majority of Edinburgh's gyms.

If there is a better facility in Edinburgh than the Pleasance, i'd love to see it!

Ray Winstone

If I can give Aberdeen one bit of credit, it is that the selection of good quality gyms is far better than in Edinburgh, which in turn means that the one you choose is not stupidly busy!

Biffa Bacon

It says 84 car parking spaces, not too many considering staff parking too.

Anyhoo, any idea of the monthly cost, is their any joining fee? (or is this just a guise that no one actually pays?)

Im a member up at the pleasance and have been for a year now. I heard all the equipment was renewed and the building refurbed/decorated a few months before i joined.

The gym is in many different sections, Olympic room with 6/7 platforms, entire machine-based room, the vaults downstairs have barbells, dumbbells (up to 70kg) and

about 20 adjustable gym benches. The cardio gym is pretty big too. They've obviously invested a lot of money in it because it's first class, and i've used the majority of Edinburgh's gyms.

If there is a better facility in Edinburgh than the Pleasance, i'd love to see it!

Fair play if they have upgraded it. As I say I haven't been there in several years, was just recalling what it was like back then.

What is it like at peak times these days? I used to find between 4-7 it was rammed, students have just finished their lectures combined with the office crowd turning up at that time

Jambo Hud316

Been a member of Virgin Active for years, was a member of Esporta before Virgin Active took over.

I recommend it to anyone who is in the area, brilliant gym, good up to date machines, plenty floor space and pool, sauna, jacuzzis and steam room are ideal along with the classes.

I agree that after work it is rammed but I go before work (6.30am) and its ideal. All the posers etc (you know the sort) dont go until the peak hours so its just people wanting to workout that are in early morning.

It says 84 car parking spaces, not too many considering staff parking too.

Anyhoo, any idea of the monthly cost, is their any joining fee? (or is this just a guise that no one actually pays?)

Their joining fee depends on how they are doing with their sales targets...

Main thing to watch is the compulsory 12 month contract.

Archived