Learning Spanish

future is maroon

future is maroon

I was thinking of doing a night class to learn Spanish after the summer/once the next batch of night classes start.

I fancied doing some research beforehand and so can anyone recommend any courses online that you can teach yourself Spanish?

Rosetta Stone is great, by all accounts. I have only tried it very briefly.

peter_hmfc

As Peebo said, you could try the Rosetta Stone idea. I know it's not a night course or the like but it's a home thing you can do any time you want. I've been thinking of trying their level 1 for a start, but I'll admit the cost is a bit much, at around ?150.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004XBQ6TQ/ref=asc_df_B004XBQ6TQ8099341?smid=AUZ9T9RE4EL8X&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22242&creativeASIN=B004XBQ6TQ

As Foxy Knoxy said, you can apply for an ILA where you can get ?200 off the course, depending on your income, and if you haven't claimed an ILA in the last year.

http://www.ilascotland.org.uk/What+is+ILA+Scotland/ILA+Scotland+%C2%A3200+accounts.htm

Or Stevenson College look as though they're offering night courses.

http://www.stevenson.ac.uk/search/?courseSearch=1&courseSearchBoxText=spanish

Out of interest are you wanting to do it because you want to live there, or just because you're interested in it?

peter_hmfc

Rosetta stone is fantastic, i've been learning japanese with it for a while.

:thumbsup:

How far along or advanced are you?

Also, how does it actually work? Is it basically just a massive dictionary and corrects mistakes, or is it done just like you would in a class?

How far along or advanced are you?

Also, how does it actually work? Is it basically just a massive dictionary and corrects mistakes, or is it done just like you would in a class?

Rosetta stone is almost like game, it teaches you in a different way to any other language course i've ever seen. In most language courses you would see and question or phrase in English next to the equivalent in the foreign language. Rosetta stone is different in that there is no english used at all, they just use pictures. It's not that easy to explain if you haven't seen or used it yourself. Learning japanese seems to be one of the harder languages to learn mainly due to the fact that you are learning to read and write as well as speak the language, Japan has three styles of writing, so you are almost learning three languages in one.

I'm not sure how advanced i am as i've never been to Japan yet to try it out, but i do a lot of Karate so it comes in handy for that i suppose.

If you are planning on learning a language i would definitely recommend Rosetta stone, it is expensive but deals can always be found and you'll be amazed at how quickly you learn.

Rosetta stone is almost like game, it teaches you in a different way to any other language course i've ever seen. In most language courses you would see and question or phrase in English next to the equivalent in the foreign language. Rosetta stone is different in that there is no english used at all, they just use pictures. It's not that easy to explain if you haven't seen or used it yourself. Learning japanese seems to be one of the harder languages to learn mainly due to the fact that you are learning to read and write as well as speak the language, Japan has three styles of writing, so you are almost learning three languages in one.

I'm not sure how advanced i am as i've never been to Japan yet to try it out, but i do a lot of Karate so it comes in handy for that i suppose.

If you are planning on learning a language i would definitely recommend Rosetta stone, it is expensive but deals can always be found and you'll be amazed at how quickly you learn.

How do you know if you are pronouncing words correctly? As I would imagine that as with any language pronounication would be extremely important!!

How do you know if you are pronouncing words correctly? As I would imagine that as with any language pronounication would be extremely important!!

The software comes with speech recognition

Good to know.

peter_hmfc

How much did it cost you and what levels did you get?

How much did it cost you and what levels did you get?

I got levels 1 to 5 but i can't really remember what i paid for them though, maybe ?400. It's not cheap but it is worth it as it does work. I'm thinking of learning another language next year, i'm not sure what one yet but i'll be using Rosetta stone again.

Just checked it's levels 1 to 3 that i have. They are on offer just now for ?259, although i'm not certain i'm pretty sure i paid a fair bit more for it.

peter_hmfc

Just checked it's levels 1 to 3 that i have. They are on offer just now for ?259, although i'm not certain i'm pretty sure i paid a fair bit more for it.

They have Spanish level 1 on Amazon for ?140. :yas:

Sold out. :sob:

Gorgiewave

Try this:

http://www.studyspanish.com/

Also:

www.rae.es

www.wordreference.com

www.proz.com

And look up the Instituto Cervantes website.

I'm a Spanish-English translator, been living in Spain for five years so fire me any questions you have. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Read the newspaper in Spanish.

michael_bolton

If you actually want to become good at a language, you are better off in a class/language swap.

You can learn all the vocab and grammar forms a language has to offer, but without regular natural use and exposure to authentic language you will never actually be able to communicate to any level.

I am an English teacher abroad, and we see this all the time with our students. Studying a language isn't learning a language. You have to use it in a real and meaningful way on a regular basis.

michael_bolton

Spot on. Rosetta Stone and Michel Thomas are good for people who want to sit at home and go through levels of stuff. I'm tired of hearing students say, 'Well I got to level xx of such and such a book / CD / online course', and then they are gobsmacked to find they can't hold a conversation.

For anyone who actually wants to go out and actually use the language, nothing beats a class or, even better, living in the country.

PS No offence to Robbodog or Rixxy, just my (prejudiced - I'm also a language teacher) opinion.

We can't have CDs and books putting us out of a job!

It is true, though. You can't learn a language in your house. Nobody can. Unless a class happens in your house...

These CDs etc may be a decent starting point, but they'll never teach you to communicate. You need interaction for that.

Archived