trimming the squad

savage

i am happy to be corrected on any of the following but have gone on who has been allocated a first team number this season. at present when the five out on loan come back we will be carrying a first team squad of 40. obviously we are already aware of certain leavers and those who are possibly away. at present we have

goalkeepers (3)

Macdonald -keep-

Ridgers-keep-

Kello-would love to keep but away-

Keeping kello would be everyones choice but i think McDonald is a decent keeper and Ridgers is highly rated so another youngester in to be number 3

Defenders (15)

Hamill-keep-

Grainger-keep-

Barr-keep-

Webster-keep-

R Mcgowan-keep-

Zaliukas-keep-

Park-needs to be tried,keep-

Danny Thomson-no knowledge-

Colin Hamilton-no knowledge

Brad McKay-no knowledge-

McHattie-no knowledge

Mullen-keep-

D McGowan- no knowledge

Craig Thomson-release-

Jason Thomson-release

the top six are a no brainer to keep although could now argue that Barr is a holding midfielder, he is quickly becoming a bit of an unsung hero in there. of the young ones a decision needs to be made about who may meet the grade. if they are still young enough then keep them for the age group teams. from that list i am unsure without checking what their eligibility is. i think we need to have 10 first team defenders for the season.

midfielders (15)

Suso-keep-

Black-keep-

Driver-keep-

Temps-keep-

Obua-gone-

novikovas-keep-

Skacel-keep-

Taouil-not to fussed-

Robinson-keep-

Mrowiec-not to fussed-

Prychnenko-keep-

Kane-no knowledge-

Holt-keep-

Walker-keep-

Stewart-no knowledge

obviously from that list we look certain to lose Black and Skacel with maybe Mrowiec and Suso as well. Obua gone already. losing that much experience will be a sore one to take but i have big hopes for Big Denis and Robinson along with Holt and Walker it is exciting times for young players waiting their turn at Tynecastle. also think we need to carry 10 first team midfielders.

Strikers (7)

Sutton-worth another chance-

D Smith-no knowledge-

Morton-no knowledge-

Glen-seen enough good luck-

G.Smith-big year for him he needs to show us what he can do if given a chance-

Elliott-probably gone but i like his work ethic, not enough goals though

Beattie-if satys fit we must try to keep him

the weakest part of our squad by some distance. with the system we are playing i don't think we need too many strikers on the books and think we could run the season with 6. would love to see beattie stay and partner Sutton.

from these lists straight away 40 is cut to 29 and i think motherwell have operated with 22 this season. it is exciting to look to next season and hopefully see our emerging talents in particular denis, holt and walker, i just wish black was staying in their as the experienced man. i think we are losing to much in the middle of the park. these players may be highly rated but it may take them a while to adapt. walker has been outstanding for raith but wyness was outstanding in the first division so we cannot put too much expectation on him. with money at a premium Beattie may not be a great option with his injury record. i feel we really need to get the right strikers in next season as with skacel away we need to find someone to put the ball in the net regulalry. G Smith has shown glimpses but will need to see him get a run in the team to see what he is capable of. think Glen has had enough chances and he just does not look spl standard if i am honest.

if we are to cut the squad i think it can be done whilst still keeping a certain amount of quality. i cringe when i think of the money we have wasted since 2006, with guys like pinilla costing in the region of 2-3 million to have at the club for nothing not to mention makela or beslija. then there was all the guys in January Straceny, petras, johnson, hackett etc. we must have paid a fortune in wages. maybe pinilla will feel bad and return to the club and play for ?500 a week for his last couple of years to say thank you

Archived