The Valves

the general

the general

just listening to a CD of them playing London in 1979,forgot what a great band they were,used to try and see them wherever they played GREAT MEMORIES.anyone else remember them?

davemclaren
just listening to a CD of them playing London in 1979,forgot what a great band they were,used to try and see them wherever they played GREAT MEMORIES.anyone else remember them?

Used to work with Gordon Scott.

the general

aint no surf in Portobello ... I remember seeing them in the Yellow Carvel off the High Street one night when the Live Stiffs gig in Stirling was cancelled - The whole Stiff roster came to the gig and wWreckless Eric ended up on stage

Linda Vindaloo is on now !!

the general

sorry leggie didnt realise you were still squatting upstairs - are you sure thats supergrass btw sounds more like the mighty bronsky beat from down here

sorry leggie didnt realise you were still squatting upstairs - are you sure thats supergrass btw sounds more like the mighty bronsky beat from down here

:biggrin:

blondejamtart

Do I remember The Valves - absolutely! Brings back some happy memories - Aint' Nt Surf In Portobello!! Great! Sure I've got that on vinyl up in the attic, along with all my other old punk stuff - nothing to play it on though..:(

Oh aye? wonder where you got that CD from then?...

THe Valves - great band , superb live act, but the old question - were they punk rock or pub rock?

54321 - pub rock

Radios - punk rock

Anytime - pub rock (a la graham parker)

Aint no surf - punk rock

Linda vindaloo - pub rock

For adolfs only - punk rock

....etc etc etc

Brilliant band it has to be said. I believe the guitarist is now in the resident band at the Jam house?... how good would that be if they suddenly launched into "for adolfs only" when all the drunk saddos were waiting for a slushy lionel ritchie smoochie to hit the floor!!!

:band:

the general

I was surprised at how punky they sounded more Ramones than Cado Belle - the last time I saw Dee he was performing as a ranting poet at a benefit gig,he was bottled off stage by some dungaree clad lesbians for the line ' in wester hailes where men are men and so are the women'

Terrible Trio

saw them at Ingliston (supporting undertones, squeeze, talking heads etc), Meadows festival on a truck and supporting Sham at their last gig in Glasgow.

I'll be along tomorrow about 11 for a copy ;)

saw them at Ingliston (supporting undertones, squeeze, talking heads etc), Meadows festival on a truck and supporting Sham at their last gig in Glasgow.

You still got the tickets? ;)

Terrible Trio
You still got the tickets? ;)

Funny you should ask, here's the ones from the Apollo and Ingliston :)

zirpkg.jpg

Terrible Trio
Ha - good one Trio. ;)

There wasn't one from the Meadows unfortunately or I would have had it

This might be the picture cover from the generals music

dc7jvn.jpg

I loved the Valves. They were called something else before they changed their name to the Valves. Anyone remember what the previous name was? I've completely forgotten.

General, is that CD available to buy anywhere?

My fave song was "Everybody's Got Nipples", can't post the lyrics here I'm afraid, Id get banned.

Terrible Trio
I loved the Valves. They were called something else before they changed their name to the Valves. Anyone remember what the previous name was? I've completely forgotten.

My fave song was "Everybody's Got Nipples", can't post the lyrics here I'm afraid, Id get banned.

Angel Easy?

There wasn't one from the Meadows unfortunately or I would have had it

One of those tickets has Van Morrison as the headline act. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Terrible Trio
One of those tickets has Van Morrison as the headline act. :eek: :eek: :eek:

well spotted

the gig in reverse order was The Valves, Undertones, Steel Pulse, Squeeze, Talking Heads (I think that was the order) the Van Morrison - most of the punks left long before he came on

I also managed to pick up a nice copy of Borstal Breakout with the picture sleeve that day

aint no surf in Portobello ... I remember seeing them in the Yellow Carvel off the High Street one night when the Live Stiffs gig in Stirling was cancelled - The whole Stiff roster came to the gig and wWreckless Eric ended up on stage

Linda Vindaloo is on now !!

Wahey. A day without Wreckless Eric is a wasted day.

the general

iI dont think its available in stores at all,still trying to get a copy of a showcase they did in the Netherbow

My memory of those days is Hazy at best , was it "Sale"? Always seem to remember them playing at Nicky Tams typical Pub rock band,Long Hair, Flares.....

few weeks later spikey hair, safety pins and vinyl and called "The Valves"

of course I could be totally wrong.

Archived