RBS AT IT

Miller Jambo 60

Miller Jambo 60

Like Northern Rock .RBS are moaning cause their profits are down.

What a shame the rich fat cats should work through it.

The working man joiner etc has to cope so why should these muppets get away with it.

Why because we are british and the big banks get away with murder.

SHUT them down.

It must be a good life when your main problem is that your profits are not good enough.

Goodwin and his lieutenants should fall on their swords. They bought ABN at an inflated price at the wrong time and got themselves involved in the mortgage-related shenanigans.

His claims that RBS don't need the same capital ratios as other banks seem a bit hollow now.

Perth2Paisley
Goodwin and his lieutenants should fall on their swords. They bought ABN at an inflated price at the wrong time and got themselves involved in the mortgage-related shenanigans.

His claims that RBS don't need the same capital ratios as other banks seem a bit hollow now.

I doubt he'll go. Yes, they're having to raise equity, but the core business is healthy, and it would have been a bumpy ride even without ABN. They aren't in a real mess like Citigroup or UBS.

Benny Factor
It must be a good life when your main problem is that your profits are not good enough.

Banks, energy companies, etc etc etc... the list goes on....the cost of living has soared beyond belief over the last year or so, and none of these companies LOSE money. It's more a catastrophe for these organisations if their profits are down by a few MILLION... never mind the billions they were already coining in.

It's financial institutions like RBS that keep the economy from plunging into meltdown. If the major UK banks go tits up, we're all fecked.

coppercrutch
I doubt he'll go. Yes, they're having to raise equity, but the core business is healthy, and it would have been a bumpy ride even without ABN. They aren't in a real mess like Citigroup or UBS.

Nonsense. If they had not bought ABN they would be sitting on 50 Billion cash right now - an envious position for any bank in the World. Instead they splashed it on an overpriced under performing foreign bank. That was a huge mistake and I said it at the time. When it comes to this failed move I know more than Goodwin, and that is a fact. That should worry anyone who has any sort of involvement with RBS ;)

PS. When it comes to most other things I am sure he knows a lot more than me !!

Correct CC. RBS paid the wrong price at the wrong time. For that, Goodwin should go.

When will British companies learn get involved with america and their dodgy accounting practises and you'll get your fingers burnt, happens every time

Of course what do people like us know of such things :rolleyes:

I never cease to be amazed at the upper echelons of senior management. WE pay through the nose for these people - with incredible salaries and outrageous pension plans - because, allegedly, you have to pay top wack to get the best ;) available.

Hmm..............so we've paid to wack, the company is now floundering - and now Mr X gets a pair of golden handcuffs for 'moving on' after making a James of it ?

:evilno:

Like Northern Rock .RBS are moaning cause their profits are down.

What a shame the rich fat cats should work through it.

The working man joiner etc has to cope so why should these muppets get away with it.

Why because we are british and the big banks get away with murder.

SHUT them down.

I'm trying not to be abusive here, i really am, but are you really quite stupid?

If only life was as simple as you.

coppercrutch

Anyone who think sthe banks don't run the World is mental.

Look at the evidence. British banks announce record profits. Two months later they go begging to the government to help them out. The Government happily obliges. THIS WOULD NOT HAPPEN IN ANY OTHER INDUSRTY IN THE WORLD. It is insane. But it clearly shows the importance the banks hold to the World's economy.

I suggest everyone googles 'money masters' and watched the 2 part video. Very interesting.

BTW a quick question for anyone out there. What is the most powerful bank in the World ? I reckon 99% of the population don't know this. Most people will never even have heard of it. And yet they basically run the World. Scary stuff.

Anyone who think sthe banks don't run the World is mental.

Look at the evidence. British banks announce record profits. Two months later they go begging to the government to help them out. The Government happily obliges. THIS WOULD NOT HAPPEN IN ANY OTHER INDUSRTY IN THE WORLD. It is insane. But it clearly shows the importance the banks hold to the World's economy.

I suggest everyone googles 'money masters' and watched the 2 part video. Very interesting.

BTW a quick question for anyone out there. What is the most powerful bank in the World ? I reckon 99% of the population don't know this. Most people will never even have heard of it. And yet they basically run the World. Scary stuff.

ukio bankas? :P

coppercrutch
ukio bankas? :P

Nope !! But I bet you more people have heard of UKIO than the most powerful bank in the entire World. Now that is scary...:eek:

Think the worlds biggest Banking group is the Citigroup, might be wrong though.

I believe RBS is 5th in the world, and HSBC 3rd? Might be totally wrong.

coppercrutch
Think the worlds biggest Banking group is the Citigroup, might be wrong though.

I believe RBS is 5th in the world, and HSBC 3rd? Might be totally wrong.

We are talking about the most powerful here, not the largest. In fact the bank in question is quite literally tiny......:eek:

I will give you a clue. It starts with 'Bank for....'

Miller Jambo 60
I'm trying not to be abusive here, i really am, but are you really quite stupid?

If only life was as simple as you.

Had a bad nights sleep.

Im simple bit nasty that comment.

Had a bad nights sleep.

Im simple bit nasty that comment.

Sorry mate, didn't mean for it to sound nasty.

Just gotta look at the bigger picture; the world economy. The Royal Bank of Scotland Group are merely one of the first in an expected series of banks to do so. It's a share issue, when football clubs do it it's not a huge deal. Although, obviously on the scale of the world economy it's vital.

Miller Jambo 60
Sorry mate, didn't mean for it to sound nasty.

Just gotta look at the bigger picture; the world economy. The Royal Bank of Scotland Group are merely one of the first in an expected series of banks to do so. It's a share issue, when football clubs do it it's not a huge deal. Although, obviously on the scale of the world economy it's vital.

Fair enough mate.

Miller Jambo 60
You going today, Doug?

Probably not ,first home game i will have missed in a long time.

Just no desire now.

Was at killie and was so sick with the team.

Probably not ,first home game i will have missed in a long time.

Just no desire now.

Was at killie and was so sick with the team.

Keep the faith, mate.

coppercrutch
I don't know mate?

Bank for International Settlements.

They are the central bank of most of the Worlds central banks. You can only imagine how much power they have when they all meet up for a chat. :eek:

As you say about RBS - companies do this all the time. The important thing with this particular issue is that RBS were FORCED to do it. Goodwin was only saying a few months ago that the Bank had a solid capital base and would not need to do something like this. They have been rushed into doing this. That is pretty worrying. I am sure they will probably survive and doing this may well help them in the long run. It does not give out a good signal though.

"We have just announced record profits but can you give us some money please.....":confused:

They have no powers to set or influence policy.

coppercrutch
They have no powers to set or influence policy.

Officially. ;)

You have all the most powerful central bankers in the World sitting around one table. They each have the power to control the money supply, interest rates, Government bail outs, lending of last resort etc.. for most of the World. The decisions they make affect every single person in this World.

When they get together and have a chat what do you reckon is on the agenda (Unofficially)? The crisis at Tynie.......:rolleyes:

You have all the most powerful central bankers in the World sitting around one table. They each have the power to control the money supply, interest rates, Government bail outs, lending of last resort etc.. for most of the World. The decisions they make affect every single person in this World.

That's very true, but it's akin to suggesting that if they met at the Hilton, Hilton Hotels would be the most powerful financial institution in the world. ;)

coppercrutch
That's very true, but it's akin to suggesting that if they met at the Hilton, Hilton Hotels would be the most powerful financial institution in the world. ;)

Aye but I think the BIS has a bit more real clout than that !!

I would compare it more to each central bank being an MP. And the BIS being the House of Commons. It is the central place where all of the World's central bankers discuss what is going on. I imagine positions, strategy and policy are well and truly defined at these meetings.

Maybe not, would love to be a fly on the wall in there one day.

Unfortunately I don't think they usually have random JKB posters present...:sad:

I think you'll find this happens to every industry that has a potential to effect the economy. British Energy or NFL, nuclear fuels, whatever they call themselves this week, had the same problem and the goverment bailed them out with our money because to not have would have hurt the economy more.

Yes, I can understand that people should take the flak for this but for OUR goverment to stand aside idely while giving rise to a potential recession in our economy is worse.

coppercrutch

Seems RBS is now planning to sell it's very successful Insurance business, Churchill, Direct Line etc........

(1)Biggest profits ever.

One month later...

(2) We have no money can you shareholders please provide us with ?12 Billion...

Two days later

(3) We may be selling our highly successfull insurance arm to raise ?5 billion...

Oh dear....:(

Smoke...fire......

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2008/04/20/cnrbs120.xml

An entirely dodgy organisation with little or no transparency and assisted in the movement of Nazi Gold.

coppercrutch
An entirely dodgy organisation with little or no transparency and assisted in the movement of Nazi Gold.

Thing is I used to hear people talking about the 'New World Order' and secret organisations planning wars and basically running the World. I used to think this was just all nonsense. However the more and more I read the more I think these 'conspiracies' could be true.

In BIS and the Council for foreign relations you have 2 of the Worlds most powerful influential organisations. And yet I would be surprised if one percent of the UK population have even heard of them.

Considering this, claims of a secretive 'NWO' don't actually seem that mental after all...:eek:

davemclaren
Thing is I used to hear people talking about the 'New World Order' and secret organisations planning wars and basically running the World. I used to think this was just all nonsense. However the more and more I read the more I think these 'conspiracies' could be true.

In BIS and the Council for foreign relations you have 2 of the Worlds most powerful influential organisations. And yet I would be surprised if one percent of the UK population have even heard of them.

Considering this, claims of a secretive 'NWO' don't actually seem that mental after all...:eek:

Keep taking the pills CC> :P

coppercrutch
Keep taking the pills CC> :P

You have to admit this is all getting rather interesting Mr McLaren.

I have been saying 'doomsday' and 'crazy' things for close to a year now on this site. All of a sudden quite a lot of what I have been predicting(And much more) is staring us in the face......

Fuel crisis.

Food shortages.

Finanical collapses.

RBS facing collapse.

Inflation soaring.

House prices now falling.

Commodoties including Gold soaring.

Like the 70's all over again. And how was that decade for the average person in the UK - seeing I was too young to remember ?

Pretty grim I have heard..:sad:

davemclaren
You have to admit this is all getting rather interesting Mr McLaren.

I have been saying 'doomsday' and 'crazy' things for close to a year now on this site. All of a sudden quite a lot of what I have been predicting(And much more) is staring us in the face......

Fuel crisis.

Food shortages.

Finanical collapses.

RBS facing collapse.

Inflation soaring.

House prices now falling.

Commodoties including Gold soaring.

Like the 70's all over again. And how was that decade for the average person in the UK - seeing I was too young to remember ?

Pretty grim I have heard..:sad:

I remember the power cuts. :)

Sorry, I don't think it's that based yet.

RBS facing collapse? :rolleyes:

coppercrutch
I remember the power cuts. :)

Sorry, I don't think it's that based yet.

RBS facing collapse? :rolleyes:

You being serious !!! They are in dire straights. I don't think they will collapse but they have serious problems. Why would a company that has just announced record profits decide to sell some of the most stable areas of it's business.

One reason - DESPERATION. :)

You have to give me credit for this one Mr McLaren. I have been saying they are in trouble for ages. I was ridiculed by many for that stance. Now it seems they are in real trouble, no question about it, the facts speak for themselves.

I think the phrase 'Told you so' would apply in this situation...;)

davemclaren
You being serious !!! They are in dire straights. I don't think they will collapse but they have serious problems. Why would a company that has just announced record profits decide to sell some of the most stable areas of it's business.

One reason - DESPERATION. :)

You have to give me credit for this one Mr McLaren. I have been saying they are in trouble for ages. I was ridiculed by many for that stance. Now it seems they are in real trouble, no question about it, the facts speak for themselves.

I think the phrase 'Told you so' would apply in this situation...;)

RBS certainly need more cash but I don't think they are in real trouble. I expect they will survive and still post a profit.

coppercrutch
RBS certainly need more cash but I don't think they are in real trouble. I expect they will survive and still post a profit.

They are a bank. They just made record 'profits'. Weeks later they are desperate for cash = They are not in real trouble.....

Come on Mr McLaren, waken up........:)

davemclaren
They are a bank. They just made record 'profits'. Weeks later they are desperate for cash = They are not in real trouble.....

Come on Mr McLaren, waken up........:)

Banks always need cash. It's their stock in trade. The market has dried up so they need cash from somewhere else. :)

coppercrutch

Of couse Mr McLaren. But if they had not bought Amro with all their savings they would not have had to do this. I was saying this last year. Shame Sir Fred didn't ask for my opinion on the matter !!

From what I have heard about Fred he is a little bit of a 'control' freak. I imagine his expert advisors were warning him of this very possibility. He most probably just ignored them, as this plan has worked for him so far. Shame all the rules have just been changed. When a chump like me on JKB could see this coming you have to ask yourself how smart is Fred really ? Has he just been lucky ? His background is in retail banking and he is clearly a genius in that market. He is not however an economist and I fear he has burnt his fingers by delving into things he does not really know about.

He has failed to listen to those around him giving advice. He will pay with is job, IMO.

Geoff Kilpatrick

The one thing I don't get yet about the credit crunch is that the US banks have more stringent financial regulations in terms of the loan multipliers. So they've all been squeezed yet the hit the rest of the world has taken appears to have been minimal (UBS excepted). Therefore, there still must be worse to come.

coppercrutch
The one thing I don't get yet about the credit crunch is that the US banks have more stringent financial regulations in terms of the loan multipliers. So they've all been squeezed yet the hit the rest of the world has taken appears to have been minimal (UBS excepted). Therefore, there still must be worse to come.

I think the important word is 'appears'. The US has just had new legislaton in place wherby all these sort of securities/MBS/CDO/SIV's etc.. have to be noted 'On balance' sheet. This is why I imagine most of them are now coming clean about their losses.

In the Uk however, not sure about anywhere else, banks can keep these off balance sheet. So they exist but it is only the highest reaches of each bank that knows how much losses are sitting there. That has been why they are scared to lend to each other. One bank knows how much losses it is hiding. It knows that the other banks are probably in the same situation. So they dont lend to each other. Some xperts think RBS may just be planning to get it all out in the open and announce all their losses and all their plans to raise capital in one fell swoop.

Problem with these mortgage backed securities is NO-ONE wants to touch them with a bargepole. So at the moment there is no market for them. They are essentially worthless, or pretty close to it.

So in short, whatever losses UK banks have announced so far are just the tip of the iceberg. In my opinion and that of far more qualified people. :eek:

doctor jambo
I think the important word is 'appears'. The US has just had new legislaton in place wherby all these sort of securities/MBS/CDO/SIV's etc.. have to be noted 'On balance' sheet. This is why I imagine most of them are now coming clean about their losses.

In the Uk however, not sure about anywhere else, banks can keep these off balance sheet. So they exist but it is only the highest reaches of each bank that knows how much losses are sitting there. That has been why they are scared to lend to each other. One bank knows how much losses it is hiding. It knows that the other banks are probably in the same situation. So they dont lend to each other. Some xperts think RBS may just be planning to get it all out in the open and announce all their losses and all their plans to raise capital in one fell swoop.

Problem with these mortgage backed securities is NO-ONE wants to touch them with a bargepole. So at the moment there is no market for them. They are essentially worthless, or pretty close to it.

So in short, whatever losses UK banks have announced so far are just the tip of the iceberg. In my opinion and that of far more qualified people. :eek:

NO- one wants to touch these mortgage backed securities apart from, erm the taxpayer who is now footing ?50 billion governement backed securities to bail out a banking sector that has coined tens of billions in profits over the last decade

Lovely

Good to know that we are propping up private businesses to such a massive degree, whilst we have record trade deficit and government borrowing, whilst J oPublic are being crucified by the same banks

So the banks stick us all for the cash, whilst the government use our cash to help them

Double whammy

Lovely

Archived