Athlon and Turion processors

Romanov Stole My Pension

Romanov Stole My Pension

I had my laptop stolen and my insurance claim has been successful so I've been offered a new one. My old laptop was Inspiron 1501 Turion 64 X2 TL56 (1.8 ghz, 512k), the new laptop would be vostro 1000 (i think) with AMD Athlon 64 X2 Mobile Technology TK57. Is this a good deal? I tried having a look on the AMD website but i can't find TK57.

I had my laptop stolen and my insurance claim has been successful so I've been offered a new one. My old laptop was Inspiron 1501 Turion 64 X2 TL56 (1.8 ghz, 512k), the new laptop would be vostro 1000 (i think) with AMD Athlon 64 X2 Mobile Technology TK57. Is this a good deal? I tried having a look on the AMD website but i can't find TK57.

Vostro are aimed at business users and are not as cosmetically nice the Inspiron IMO. Also the 1000 model being the most basic. AMD rate their Processors by numbering and lettering so the TK57 will be a slightly better processor. Its up to you but should they not be replacing it with another Inspiron ?

CPU info: http://products.amd.com/en-us/NotebookCPUDetail.aspx?id=296

Romanov Stole My Pension
Vostro are aimed at business users and are not as cosmetically nice the Inspiron IMO. Also the 1000 model being the most basic. AMD rate their Processors by numbering and lettering so the TK57 will be a slightly better processor. Its up to you but should they not be replacing it with another Inspiron ?

CPU info: http://products.amd.com/en-us/NotebookCPUDetail.aspx?id=296

So you think that the Athlon processor would be more powerful.

The Old Tolbooth

Your insurance policy should state that it will be replaced on a new for old basis, with as close to a like for like model as they can get, so personally I wouldnt accept it unless its another Inspiron they offer you mate, they are simply trying to get you on the cheap.

Romanov Stole My Pension

Right i've been offered a new Inspiron laptop. My old specifications were...

AMDTurion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL56, 1024MB DDR2 SDRAM . 80GB Hard disk drive. Shared Graphics. 15.4 inch WXGA Widescreen TFT screen. 56K Modem and LAN. Wireless LAN. Fixed DVD+/-RW drive. USB 2 support. MS Works 8.5. Loaded with Windows Vista Home Basic. 1 year Dell warranty. No additional software or carry case supplied.

The new specifications would be...

Dell Inspiron 1525 with:

Intel Dual Core Processor T2370 (1.73Ghz).

1024MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x512],

12GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive (i think it means 120gb),

8x DVD+/-RW Optical drive,

Integrated Intel Graphic Media Accelerator X3100,

wireless LAN,

6-cell Li-Ion primary battery,

15.4 inch Widescreen WXGA (1280x800) TFT display Jet Black Colour with Matte Finish,

Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium ,

Microsoft Works 9.0.

Complete with 1 year Dell warranty. No floppy disc drive, carry case or additional software supplied

I really don't know how to compare Intel and AMD processors, could anyone tell me if this is a decent replacement?

Cheers

Right i've been offered a new Inspiron laptop. My old specifications were...

AMDTurion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL56, 1024MB DDR2 SDRAM . 80GB Hard disk drive. Shared Graphics. 15.4 inch WXGA Widescreen TFT screen. 56K Modem and LAN. Wireless LAN. Fixed DVD+/-RW drive. USB 2 support. MS Works 8.5. Loaded with Windows Vista Home Basic. 1 year Dell warranty. No additional software or carry case supplied.

The new specifications would be...

Dell Inspiron 1525

We just bought this lap top last month from Tesco. ?398. It does all I need it for.

Archived