traffic on matchdays

balsh

aright guys, lookin for a little help with my dissertation. i drive up to games so i know a few already but does anyone else who drives to the game or gets the bus experience any traffic problems before or after a home match?

doesnt need to be detailed. just roughly how bad and wher.

cheers

west lothian loyal

I travel to homes games by car, granted im only 20 mins away in whitburn but i always park my car at the park and ride at Hermiston gate and get the service bus in to Gorgie . Its only a quid either way and it saves on trying to find a space near the ground.

The bus stop to return to the park and ride is straight outside Tynecastle.

H.M.F.C FOREVER

west lothian loyal

Its usually pretty good, there is bus lanes most of the way. It only goes to single lane nearer gorgie but it usually takes 20 mins max to get into gorgie from the bus station.

Its usually busier on the way back but ive never not got on the first bus back to the park and ride.

The buses into gorgie run every 15 mins from the park and ride, they aint so regular on the way back because of the traffic but the longest ive waited is 30 mins.

H.M.F.C FOREVER

aright guys, lookin for a little help with my dissertation. i drive up to games so i know a few already but does anyone else who drives to the game or gets the bus experience any traffic problems before or after a home match?

cheers

So a balanced analysis then? :P

We drive from Glenrothes for home games. As long as there are no problems at the bridge the journey takes about 40 minutes from leaving to parking. We park at Saughton Park. This is no problem in the winter but parking is a definite problem when the weather gets better (due to families taking their kids to the park). The car park isn't for football traffic but on match days the majority of users are attending the game. Traffic away from Gorgie is heavy after the game but if we go to McDonalds or for shopping after the game it's usually eased up by then.

Dont know if that's of any use.

cheers

No.

Sounds like a really well thought out research design by the way.

Stuart Lyon

The new traffic lights at the end of Westfield are murder if you are traveling north i.e. towards the old B&Q. The timing of the lights is woefully inadequate for cars trying to go left or right at this junction. The situation is aggravated by it not being a box junction with cameras as the a**holes coming from the east just ignore the red light and carry-on westwards.

yvonnejambo

I drive to all home games or share with other highland Jambos. Always fine going down (unless work on bridge) always murder getting back towards the bridge if leaving straight after the game.

Buffalo Bill

A decent place to park is down Baird Drive at Balgreen/Glendevon.

There's plenty of spaces and you would then walk along the Water of Leith and round the back of the old Westfield Hall; cutting through what was once 'Puddle Lane' and to the back of Wheatfield Street.

It's about a 10 walk to the Wheatfield Stand.

I take the bus.

Buffalo Bill

if you're one of the idiots who park in wheatfield road and the like then you'll have difficulties getting out.

If you park 10/15 mins walk away, it's little bother.

Usually go early, leave about noon, get to Westfield Road and Park about 12.15. Go get something to eat, have a beer, go to game. Return journey takes anything from 25 to 45 minutes, form when we get back to car. Sometimes park in supermarket across road for Westfield rd., difficult to get out cn take 20 minutes just to get out of car park. Would help if they shut MacDonald's down.

Bindy Badgy

I drive from Roslin and park on or around Whitson Crescent, the journey takes about 30 mins. It then takes about 10-15 mins to walk to the Main stand.

cheers

Get the 2 or the 22 from Broomhouse roundabout before the game. Usually doesn't take too long and traffic isn't that bad, I'd say around 10 mins, 15 mins tops.

On the way home is a different story. Wouldn't be so bad if I were going straight home but we usually head up to the Corstorphine Inn after the game, which we take a number 1 from Gorgie. This can really get stuck in traffic and one time it took us as long as 45 minutes to get to a place walking distance from my house.

Hope that helps.

Whatever ye do, don't park in Bryson Road or Watson Cres. ?60 fine I found to my disadvantage.

Bastarts.

Whatever ye do, don't park in Bryson Road or Watson Cres. ?60 fine I found to my disadvantage.

Bastarts.

we park up that way on match days, gadgey. usually on the single yellow lines. we dinnae park in the spaces set aside for parking permits.

thought the parking restrictions were for 'peak times' only.

Jewson on Slateford Road but dont go inside Matalan boundary or ye'll get a ticket fae the wee hitler (don't know if he's legal), short stop in The Graysmill for a drink or ten:confused: then 5 minute walk tae Tynie:o

Drive in from Tranent leave the bypass at Dreghorn Usually ok until Craiglockhart Road Always park in front of Ma in laws house Hutchison Road

Era Macaroons

cheers

Im doing a dissertation as well, did anyone else have to Q for the Big Dipper at Blackpool Pleasure beach?

Buffalo Bill
Drive in from Tranent leave the bypass at Dreghorn Usually ok until Craiglockhart Road Always park in front of Ma in laws house Hutchison Road

Thanks, we'll take that space. ;)

Buffalo Bill

cheers

Will the findiings be used as part of an objection to the new stand ?

:confused:

Will the findiings be used as part of an objection to the new stand ?

:confused:

haaha not at all. this goes no further than my uni. and if it was to go further it would only go to aide the traffic problems. ie highlight problem areas by altering traffic lights etc. thats what im looking into.

i have seen all the plans for the redevelopment and everything looks smooth.

cheers for all the help. its due a week today and as per i have left it very late.

Jewson on Slateford Road but dont go inside Matalan boundary or ye'll get a ticket fae the wee hitler (don't know if he's legal), short stop in The Graysmill for a drink or ten:confused: then 5 minute walk tae Tynie:o

He is legal ;)

I get a lift from Haddington. It usually takes us about 40/45 minutes to get to Murrayfield where we park.

Traffic isn't too bad. We are never stuck at the one bit for ages. With the works at Shandwick Place I thought would put time on as we come down Lothian Road and turn off just after the Sheraton but haven't had too many problems.

Now that I have said that we will probably get stuck in traffic tomoroow.

Stuart Lyon

Don't get me started about all those pedestrians who walk on the road (something I would never do myself) :)

MackaysCentreSpot

Do not think about parking anywhere near the ground.

It is grid lock for about 45 mins after the game trying to get along Gorgie or along Russell Road to Costorphine.

Its a nightmare.

As others say park on the outskirts and walk in or bus it.

Castle Magyar
... i drive up to games... does anyone else who drives to the game...experience any traffic problems before or after a home match?...

I drive to some of the matches; my start point offers little in the way of problems, usually a Thursday, from Tiszavasvari - but when I arrive at Budapest airport, no matter the time of day, it's always busy. I can't say I noticed a lot of Hearts supporters, replica shirts, or painted faces in the airport but there must be another reason for the busy-ness :)

Flights over, taxi from the airport to Currie, & No. 44 bus on the Saturday to the game are all fine.

Funnily enough, the return journey is fine also; until I get back to Budapest city centre where I encounter the same issue - now let me see you plot that in your dissertation :D

I drive to some of the matches; my start point offers little in the way of problems, usually a Thursday, from Tiszavasvari - but when I arrive at Budapest airport, no matter the time of day, it's always busy. I can't say I noticed a lot of Hearts supporters, replica shirts, or painted faces in the airport but there must be another reason for the busy-ness :)

Flights over, taxi from the airport to Currie, & No. 44 bus on the Saturday to the game are all fine.

Funnily enough, the return journey is fine also; until I get back to Budapest city centre where I encounter the same issue - now let me see you plot that in your dissertation :D

cheers mate. Budapest is clearly where its all happening if your free time is spent posting witty replies as such. no hard feelings though.

Archived