Virgin active

tommythejambo

tommythejambo

Basically I tried to cancel my membership with them, they were being akward, so I cancelled the direct debit.

They reckon I'm now due them about 120, and they've sent me a letter about it.

Anyone here been through something similar? Do they **** off eventually? Or will they seriously chase it?

As above, they won't back down.

Was a member for years and a few of the boys went through this.

But it was always their fault and not Virgins!

What do you mean you "tried" to cancel and they were being "awkward".

If you've agreed to a 12 month contract, it's not really anyone's fault but your own?

When I left Virgin it was a simple 2 minute form filled out at reception. Membership then ended at the end of the month you signed the form.

When I left Virgin it was a simple 2 minute form filled out at reception. Membership then ended at the end of the month you signed the form.

Similarly I've just cancelled my Bannatynes membership and it was as simple as sending them an email and then completing their cancellation questionnaire, completely hassle free.

mr bannantyne stopped chasing me after a while. quite a few problems with there contracts which cant really hold up in court.

They messed me about when I was a member (basically the sales person lied to me to get me to join then denied what she said to my face) they sent letters and a notice that they would persue through court but I took legal advice and they never had a leg to stand on and they stopped chasing.

Never understand why anyone would sign up to a 12-month gym contract. Particularly at Virgin Active where it's not even cheaper than a month-to-month membership elsewhere.

had this through David Lloyd.

My 12 months was up, I cancelled the DD - they then said it was a 'rolling' 12 month contract and I owed the 3 months subscription as a cancellation period. Told them to bolt. Many threatening letters later, they stopped hassling me.

tommythejambo

It wasn't a 12 month contract. Maybe it was just the individual I dealt with.

had this through David Lloyd.

My 12 months was up, I cancelled the DD - they then said it was a 'rolling' 12 month contract and I owed the 3 months subscription as a cancellation period. Told them to bolt. Many threatening letters later, they stopped hassling me.

Had the same problem (and end result) with them!

I have mentioned this before, here in Canada in such disputes and the collectors get into it they will often get a suspension through the credit bureau, no notice given, you only find out if you go to borrow money.

My experience started with a phone call from a debt collector asking if I was a certain person with the same name, I assured them I was not and had never lived in the areas they mentioned, I then got cheeky and smart mouthed the individual. Went for a loan and found I had no credit rating, I was lucky and my bank took care of it, but it can be annoying.

Basically I tried to cancel my membership with them, they were being akward, so I cancelled the direct debit.

They reckon I'm now due them about 120, and they've sent me a letter about it.

Anyone here been through something similar? Do they **** off eventually? Or will they seriously chase it?

Had this, tried to cancel, they were a little bit iffy about it, so I cancelled the direct debit, and wrote them a letter effectively telling them where to stick their gym membership.

Edit - It wasn't a 12 month contract either as I've just checked the contract I signed at the start.

Then 5 months later, a letter arrives asking for over ?120. I get on the phone, and it turns out they never cancelled.

I went in to the one at the Omni and asked to speak to the manager, who was in his office. Took him 50 minutes to come and see me, sat in that pishy wee cafe.

Got offered a deal where if I paid ?9.99 they could freeze the payment (or something like that), or I could renew my gym membership and the sum would be nulled.

So obviously, I paid ?29.99 to renew my membership, got a written letter of confirmation stating that the ?120 was no longer owed, then went in the next day and cancelled my membership, therefore paying a quarter of what they were after.

Still used the gym until the end of the month as well :smuggy:

I hear about stories like this all the time... Luckily I work in a gym that doesn't have stupid contracts or notice periods...

Best piece of advice I can give is do not sign a 12 month contract unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure you want it.

If you do, make sure you tell them you are moving abroad and give them an e-mail address and a postal address in Timbuktu. Write "no longer at this address" on letters and put them back in the post and they'll think that it's not worth the hassle.

tommythejambo

I hear about stories like this all the time... Luckily I work in a gym that doesn't have stupid contracts or notice periods...

Best piece of advice I can give is do not sign a 12 month contract unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure you want it.

If you do, make sure you tell them you are moving abroad and give them an e-mail address and a postal address in Timbuktu. Write "no longer at this address" on letters and put them back in the post and they'll think that it's not worth the hassle.

That's a cracking bit of advice.

Boaby Ewing

Twunts tried this with me when I moved to the states (not a 12-month contract, but trying to get an extra month's payment out of me despite the fact I had given them plenty of notice).

They f*cked off eventually. But not before breaking my old flatmate's legs.

Trust this helps.

They set debt collectors, Moorcroft, on you.

:vrface:

Utter cun :o.

Debt collecters are ****ing cancers, tmoblie are utter :o s as well.

Shitehouses.

Archived