Sydney FC vs Melbourne Victory - lessons to be learned?

Heres Rixxy

Decided to take in this A-League derby today, and see how it was. It is the last round of the season and Sydney needed to win to have a chance of winning the league, but the game ended 2-2 as Melbourne came from behind twice.

The standard of play was good, as was above the average SPL game IMO. I think though, that this was only down to the high stakes and both teams playing above their normal level. No sign of Grant Brebner for Melbourne but Juninho played for Sydney and was average at best.

Best player on the park was Sydney's Milligan. Right sided central defender and if you are reading Mr Frail you should send a scout over to have a look without doubt! Other players of note were Melboure's left back Piorkowski and striker Allsopp, who look like they would do a good SPL job.

Anyway my actual point was going to be about the atmosphere. Now 'soccer' over here isn't high on the sporting agenda (if at all...) so I was expecting a cricket type crowd to be honest. Boy was I wrong! Attendance was over 33,000 (highest over the season) and the fans were amazing. Was much like a european away tie with Hearts, with standing on seats and singing throughout. They have a designated 'ultras' area called The Cove, which houses all the vocal fans that are also allowed megaphones, flags, banners etc. They were very much like how the AEK fans were at Murrayfield. Also alcohol is served inside the stadium, which is nice!

Flares were lit after every goal, adding to the atmosphere. They are not meant to be allowed in but something happens over here that wouldn't happen in Scotland - the authorities use common sense :eek: Once a flare was lit, it would eventually end up just onto the grass where a steward would waddle over with a fire proof glove on, pick it up, and put it in a metal box then thats it. No police rushing into the the group it came from trying to find anyone they can chuck out. Not followed by abuse towards police for doing so etc etc.

Another thing that impressed me was even with this atmosphere in The Cove section, there was family section and lots of kids/family entertainment outside before kick off. A live DJ, mascots (giant kids like oor Josh & Jemma!), kids goals to try score into a mascot, face painting, photo ops with huge team photo etc. Granted, the weather helps with these things, but I just feel there is so much that could be done to create a better atmosphere at Tynecastle.

Previously when a special 'ultras' section has been discussed, people are quick to point out that the people at Hearts want to make it more of a family atmosphere etc. Well today proved to me that both can be achieved successfully. Besides, what exactly are Hearts doing to promote it as a family occasion at the moment anyway, apart from the odd face painting?

Also, why are we not allowed flags into Scottish grounds? What do they actually think we are going to do with them? How was it ok to allow them for 'flag-day' against Aberdeen 2 years ago? What made them decide it was safe that day but no other?

Another thing I would add is that the main stand looks very much like our planned one, and I am pleased to say it looks good ;)

Eh... so yea, in summary, sign Milligan, create a new section in Tynie to add atmosphere, serve alcohol, let us bring flags and put on more entertainment on match days!

God, I miss live football :(

MacDonald Jardine
Huh?

Our new stand:

DSCF1391DesktopResolution.jpg

Flags/banners (smaller section):

DSCF1394DesktopResolution.jpg

Flare:

DSCF1410DesktopResolution.jpg

If you look at the first page you'll find the odd thread about flags.

Huh?

Flare:

DSCF1410DesktopResolution.jpg

I'd love to see flares geting used in football but only to be used in the correct manner. You see them on the tv at times and they look well smart but then you would always get some erse wanting to throw it at someone on the pitch and spoil it for everyone else.

Anyone think they would be good if used properly?

I'd love to see flares geting used in football but only to be used in the correct manner. You see them on the tv at times and they look well smart but then you would always get some erse wanting to throw it at someone on the pitch and spoil it for everyone else.

Anyone think they would be good if used properly?

How about if there was an official singing section or whatever, a trusted individual was given a few to let off safely if we scored?! :cool:

European Jambos Mum

God, I miss live football

well get home then!!!!!! only joking - at least wait till i have had my holiday. Cannot believe you waited that long before going to a game. Was it expensive?? Love the flags.:)

yep $15..and you can have a bevvy during the game...only thing is and may have an agrument over this but. here the standard of football here is gash...you get the odd decent game but by and large the a-league is awful.

The crowd sydney got last night was only because its was against melbourne and that they had a chance of getting the minor premiership, their crowds have been aroung the 10-12k mark on average.

But i do agree with you re-atmosphere and the way the authorities here are far more lenient on crowd behaviour....that being said they dont really get runing battles or huge ko's in city centres to make them come down hard on the crowds.

problem i find witht the football here is trying to get enthuseastic about a football team thats not Hearts...prefer to stick to the rugby league over here;)

The crowd sydney got last night was only because its was against melbourne and that they had a chance of getting the minor premiership, their crowds have been aroung the 10-12k mark on average.

)

Average A League crowd this season was circa 14,600.

Larger than the average crowd for an NRL game.

Also may even be higher than the SPL average.

Average A League crowd this season was circa 14,600.

Larger than the average crowd for an NRL game.

Also may even be higher than the SPL average.

fair play, i didnt check the attendance before posting, however if you take last nights game out of the equation, sydneys average is around 13K, not that much consedring the size of the city and the amount of money thats getting plowed into football here....i still dont think it has that much to offer as spetacle, but i wil continue to go along in the hope im proved wrong;)

Archived