Tax Code BR

duckandcover

duckandcover

Ive been on tax code BR since Feb 2007 - now (14months). People I have spoken to ssay im entitled to a rebate and possibly money back. My current salary is ?12668 per annum. I know ive got to send in a p60 to the tax office but does anyone have an idea if im entitled to any thing and if so how much? Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers

I've been stung by emergency tax before and I'm currently waiting on a rebate from the ir!you will defo be entitled to money back,get your p60 filled out and sent away and keep in contact via the phone to hurry up the process.

duckandcover
I've been stung by emergency tax before and I'm currently waiting on a rebate from the ir!you will defo be entitled to money back,get your p60 filled out and sent away and keep in contact via the phone to hurry up the process.

Cheers for that mate, wouldnae mind a wee bonus :beer:

Ive been on tax code BR since Feb 2007 - now (14months). People I have spoken to ssay im entitled to a rebate and possibly money back. My current salary is ?12668 per annum. I know ive got to send in a p60 to the tax office but does anyone have an idea if im entitled to any thing and if so how much? Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers

If you have only 1 employment or source of income you will have lost out on all or some of your personal allowances for 2006/7 - there will be a substantial refund due and I will be happy to come along for a beer.;)

If you didn't hand in your P45 from your previous job to your current employer you should do so now. That should enable your employer to sort out a 'week 1' code at least - which will mean getting your allowances now for this year and reducing your tax bill. There will also be a rebate due for 2007/8 if you are indeed on BR code.

If you still have your P45 I would send it AND the P60 for 2006/7 together to IR pronto. Sending in the P60 in itself may not be sufficient - check the pay and tax details on it : does it have ALL your pay and tax details for 2006/7 ie does it take account of your previous job? If it does you'll be OK but I suspect there is something strange about the fact that you're on BR code.

In the meantime ask your salaries dept why they haven't put you on a 'week 1' code. Putting someone on 'BR' is VERY unusual.

duckandcover
If you have only 1 employment or source of income you will have lost out on all or some of your personal allowances for 2006/7 - there will be a substantial refund due and I will be happy to come along for a beer.;)

If you didn't hand in your P45 from your previous job to your current employer you should do so now. That should enable your employer to sort out a 'week 1' code at least - which will mean getting your allowances now for this year and reducing your tax bill. There will also be a rebate due for 2007/8 if you are indeed on BR code.

If you still have your P45 I would send it AND the P60 for 2006/7 together to IR pronto. Sending in the P60 in itself may not be sufficient - check the pay and tax details on it : does it have ALL your pay and tax details for 2006/7 ie does it take account of your previous job? If it does you'll be OK but I suspect there is something strange about the fact that you're on BR code.

In the meantime ask your salaries dept why they haven't put you on a 'week 1' code. Putting someone on 'BR' is VERY unusual.

This is my first ever job mate so its looking good ;) To be honest the HR Dept. at my work are useless so it doesnt surprise me that its not been updated. Cheers again for ur help.

You are going to get a fecker of a big cheque winging your way. You have been getting taxed 22% on all your earnings for 14 months.

Yep. BR is a code for a 2nd job. That must be a sair yin. My 2nd job code is that and I get whacked every month! You will probably be due about 5 grand, as that is the normal amount you can earn before being taxed.

Yep. BR is a code for a 2nd job. That must be a sair yin. My 2nd job code is that and I get whacked every month! You will probably be due about 5 grand, as that is the normal amount you can earn before being taxed.

Hmmm thats bull

Maybe 22% of 5k then 12% of the next 2k approximatly depending on the circs but as said very unsual someone on the wrong code for so long

Its a lot of money to be losing out on

Id reckon he could be good for 1500-2000 if what he says is right

2006/2007 your personal tax allowance was ?4800 you can earn this before any tax is deducted, for 2007/2008 it went up ?5200. the tax codes are as follows....

BR Is used when all your income is taxed at the basic rate - currently 22%. From 06/04/2008 the basic rate is 20% (most commonly used for a second job)

If your tax code is wrong

If your tax code is wrong, you need to contact your Tax Office straight away so they can correct it. You can find your Tax Office by:

* looking on a 'notice of coding' if you have one - this is a notice telling you what your tax code is; your Tax Office sends it out in January or February each year, or whenever it revises your code (not everyone gets one of these)

* asking your employer (or the person in your company who deals with the payroll)

* asking your pension provider (if you get a pension through Pay As you Earn - PAYE)

If you know the name of your Tax Office you can find the contact details on HMRC's website.

* Find your local Tax Office http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/local/individuals/index.htm

Your Tax Office will need to know your tax reference and your National Insurance number. Look for these numbers on official papers to do with tax: for example, a payslip, a notice of coding, letters from HMRC, or a certificate of tax paid. If you can't find any record of the numbers, your Tax Office will tell you what to do.

there you go a few hints on how to go about claiming back money from them GFRUY tax office take it all back.

I left the Inland Revenue in 1998, and BR code means Basic Rate - it's usually used when they don't have a P46 completed, which gives the employer enough info to put you on an "emergency code", basically the single persons code - anyway, first off, ask your employer for a form P46, fill it in in front of them, and give it to them, that should get you off Basic Rate - on receipt of your P46, your Inland Revenue office will contact you with a form P15, complete that and send it back to them - let them know you want a refund, and they'll send you a Tax return to help assess your tax liability for the year - wow, it's all flooding back to me now!

Happened to me when I started my fist job mate. I got about 200 back for 2 months work (the pay was ****e and I only done 8 hours a week) so you should get a fair whack back.

I would just phone them up and tell them. That's what I done and got it sorted in time for the next pay day. Be warned though, trying to get through to them is a 'mare.

Archived