Fear of flying.....

Walter Bishop

chester copperpot
anyone have this problem and if so what do you do to get over it?

I was involved with an emergency landing 8 years ago when one of the engines lost power and smoke came bellowing out of it.

As flying is officially the safest way to travel, my chance in a billion has happened, therefor I think whenever I'm on a plane now that there's no way I will be involved in another incident.

Flying doesn't bother me, but I understand BA run short fear of flying courses fopr those that do have problems. They're led by their pilots who explain the mechanics of flying then take the participants up for a short flight. They're supposed to be very good.

Jamie_the_Jambo

Valium

Ask your GP for a couple of tablets.

Guy at works a a fearful flyer and he gets them from the doc.

You get a great sleep he says !!!

Cappuccino Kid

My wife had a real fear of flying until about 4 years ago. I bought her a book by Allen Carr, the guy who does the stop smoking books. Think it was called The easy way to enjoy flying. Since then she has had no problems and enjoys flying.

She also gave the book to a woman at work who was scared to fly to NZ to visit her son but after reading the book flew without any worries.

Angry Haggis
Valium

Ask your GP for a couple of tablets.

Guy at works a a fearful flyer and he gets them from the doc.

You get a great sleep he says !!!

What happens when you crash land and the sucker is in flames and your smacked oot yir heid on vallies.....

Drugs are for mugs...just say 'No'.

Take a big deep breath and drink the plane outta alcohol... Or before the flight take sleeping pills and sleep through the whole journey.

But did you know when they give the demostration just before take off and they say put your head inbetween your legs its to kill you quicker as the jolt goes right up your spine and snaps your neck, its cheaper for the company.

I am petrified! Valium and Jack Daniels seemed to work going to Mexico.

Coming back there was horrendous turbulance over the Sierra Madre Mountains and a horriffic landing in Manchester airport and I hadn't taken anything!! Was terrified! From then on a vowed to take Valium with me everytime I stepped foot in an airport. Maybe not a sensible suggestion but it worked for me!!

But did you know when they give the demostration just before take off and they say put your head inbetween your legs its to kill you quicker as the jolt goes right up your spine and snaps your neck, its cheaper for the company.

Nice.

That cannot be true?!?

Nice.

That cannot be true?!?

hmm I dont know and wouldnt care to try it to see what happens but it was on some programme a few months ago, I kept telling people about it and they were like yeah I know its true...

So i suppose believe what you will we wont really know the real answer.

:)

hmm I dont know and wouldnt care to try it to see what happens but it was on some programme a few months ago, I kept telling people about it and they were like yeah I know its true...

So i suppose believe what you will we wont really know the real answer.

:)

Well you can now tell them its false...

http://www.snopes.com/travel/airline/brace.asp

auldbauldfan

I have absolutely no fear of flying.

I do, however, have a fear of crashing!

Buffalo Bill

I'm the worst flyer in world.

...but as long as the pilot isn't then I'll generally be ok.

I've tried the whole 'special tablet' thing, but a couple of van rouges before and two up in the air and I'm sorted. Having an ipod has helped me a lot too, and I'd recommend that.

The one good thing about my fear is that it's the take off I hate, so in effect, the worst bit is over first. I detest flying but I'll always get on that plane.

Good luck. If it makes you feel any better, I'll be flying on September 11th this year!

Buffalo Bill

Walter Bishop

Cheers guys i take on board all your advice. I have actually flown over 20 times, but not for the last 5 years!! Dont know where this has come from, but im sure a few jars in the airport will sort me out!!!

southlondonjambo

I've found valium really helps.

I was (still am?) terrified of flying but got a job involving lots of flying to Europe and the US.

Take half a valium the night before, a half in the morning of the flight, then a whole one just as you're checking in before the flight which gives it two hours to kick in.

I can't really sleep on planes, so it doesn't knock me out but it really does help take the edge off flying. I just feel really relaxed and not thinking about the fear of flying.

I'd avoid alchohol - it dehydrates you and the effects increase at altitude making you even more ****ed! The experts reckon that if you've got a fear of flying it's best to feel totally in control and not intoxicated....

Flying doesn't bother me, but I understand BA run short fear of flying courses fopr those that do have problems. They're led by their pilots who explain the mechanics of flying then take the participants up for a short flight. They're supposed to be very good.

Flying courses ha!! Never had a problem me.:)

Flying courses ha!! Never had a problem me.:)

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

anyone have this problem and if so what do you do to get over it?

You should be more scared about getting in a car.

Walter Payton
You should be more scared about getting in a car.

That's why you should always drive in the brace position.

Archived