Watches

Legend Claws

Legend Claws

I got given ?100 as a birthday gift and want to buy a new watch with it. A real struggle so far! Want something quite classic looking, leather strap. Any thoughts guys?

For that money don't buy a new one, get a good second hand Longines or similar.

Maybe even a nice vintage watch.

Bert Le Clos

Depends whether you want a mechanical one or a quartz one. You'll struggle to get a decent mechanical one for ?100.

But places like Beaverbrooks have a large selection of quartz watches. You should be able to pick up something for close to ?100.

There's a couple below

http://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/product/11356/emporio-armani-classic-men-39-s-watch-mw6250

http://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/product/5912/rotary-men-39-s-watch-mw5078

Might have to add a bit of your own money though.

Don't know if you collect Tesco points, but every ?1 in Tesco points is worth ?4 in Goldsmith's jewellers. I got a ?200 watch for Christmas from there and paid for it with ?50 worth of Tesco vouchers. Always worth considering, you can add your own money to it as well.

Legend Claws

Thanks folks.

I've ordered one of these Seikos for ?129, part of their '5' range, rarely seen in UK apparently. Its fully auto and kinetic with clear back. Pretty cool.

post-426-0-36480600-1333458193_thumb.jpg

Thanks folks.

I've ordered one of these Seikos for ?129, part of their '5' range, rarely seen in UK apparently. Its fully auto and kinetic with clear back. Pretty cool.

Nice looking watch. I'm considering one of the Swiss Railway watches just now, They do the with either a white or black face. I love the simplicity of the design.

mondaine-swiss-railway-watch1.jpg

Thanks folks.

not very classic looking and no leather strap woot.gif

still a nice looking watch....

Legend Claws

not very classic looking and no leather strap woot.gif

still a nice looking watch....

Indeed not! Love it though.

Legend Claws

Nice looking watch. I'm considering one of the Swiss Railway watches just now, They do the with either a white or black face. I love the simplicity of the design.

mondaine-swiss-railway-watch1.jpg

Did look at them, pretty cool. Have you heard about the quirk with the date though? It goes up to 39 for some reason, so you have to change it every month. That's if you go for one with date of course.

Most leather strap watches are pretty camp IMO.

Actually any watch with a small face screams gayness.

Source - me. I'm gay LOLLZZZZ

Thought I'd best you chumps too it. :lol:

If you want to spend circa ?100

EF-539D-1A-1.jpg

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

EF-539D-1A-1.jpg

That's the sort of watch that screams, 'I have a small penis.'

Dr. Bapswent

Where as this one says....'Im a man's man...a man who feels comfortable around other men, I like other men......Im gay'.

1332925174.4541.jpg

EF-539D-1A-1.jpg

I actually think metal straps are pretty garish and tacky in silver or gold (like the one you posted). Garish and tacky things are more gay imo.

EF-539D-1A-1.jpg

J

Just got one that looks sort of similar, Citizen Skyhawk, Solar powered, Radio Controlled. Excellent timekeeper, got it from a very happy satisfied wife, with no complaints about any services provided vis a vis quality or quantity.

I may have a small ******, but I've got a fast arse.

:thumbsup:

Did look at them, pretty cool. Have you heard about the quirk with the date though? It goes up to 39 for some reason, so you have to change it every month. That's if you go for one with date of course.

Support the calls for Rotary superb watches

Not great input towards choosing a new watch but what the hell!

My current watch is the same model as below except it has a silver face and red second hand:

WatchCollection-GuessWaterproSteel2011-01-2701.jpg

Had it almost 9 years now!

well done to the OP for having the savvy to choose a Seiko. great watches with really good build quality and feel and excellent value for money. there are many really nice watches in the Sports 5 range. alas i think you've plumped for the wrong one.

for a few extra quid you could have had a Sports 5 'mini monster' (SNZF49J1) like this one.

snzf49j1-1.jpg

i have one of these beasts. some weight in it. you can get a more discrete black face model as well.

or to push the boat oot a bit you could have slung in a bit more cash and bought one of these kinetic models.

ska371_feature.jpg

Seiko was definitely the right brand of watch to go for in that price range for a brand new watch.

Bert Le Clos

Where as this one says....'Im a man's man...a man who feels comfortable around other men, I like other men......Im gay'.

1332925174.4541.jpg

Got one in black aye? :smuggy:

Matthew Le Tissier

Really dont see the point in watchs in this day and age but thats just imo.

Legend Claws

Watch arrived today, absolute belter, amazing value at ?140. Automatic, kinetic, clear back.

Thanks for the advice folks.

Also a fan of Citizen watches and I currently have this

citizen-gents-eco-drive-black-ion-chronograph-watch.jpg

Which look really nice and is the eco-drive version so no need to ever worry about a new battery!

Only one drawback, with the silver hands it is nearly impossible to tell the time in anything other overcast daytime light conditions! The watch is rendered useless on sunny days and at night!

Vincent B.A

Also a fan of Citizen watches and I currently have this

citizen-gents-eco-drive-black-ion-chronograph-watch.jpg

Which look really nice and is the eco-drive version so no need to ever worry about a new battery!

Only one drawback, with the silver hands it is nearly impossible to tell the time in anything other overcast daytime light conditions! The watch is rendered useless on sunny days and at night!

Nice looking watch Ribble, but you cant use it during the day or at night? :unsure:

Kind of defeats the point?

just took delivery of a new addition to the collection. an Officine Panerai Luminor Submersible.

panerai-pam305-watch.jpg

cough. cough. replica. cough.

Captain_Peacock

well done to the OP for having the savvy to choose a Seiko. great watches with really good build quality and feel and excellent value for

i have one of these beasts. some weight in it.

Seiko was definitely the right brand of watch to go for in that price range for a brand new watch.

Agree 100%, great value for money. Given the OP's price range I'd of plumped for a Seiko as well.

Love the Monsters,also a bit of a Sprok fan myself also.

Captain_Peacock

Agree 100%, great value for money. Given the OP's price range I'd of plumped for a Seiko as well.

Love the Monsters,also a bit of a Sprok fan myself also.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Spork, dangerous stuff that Erdinger.

Legend Claws

Thanks. I like the sleekness of mine. It is fully auto and kinetic too.

well done to the OP for having the savvy to choose a Seiko. great watches with really good build quality and feel and excellent value for money. there are many really nice watches in the Sports 5 range. alas i think you've plumped for the wrong one.

for a few extra quid you could have had a Sports 5 'mini monster' (SNZF49J1) like this one.

snzf49j1-1.jpg

i have one of these beasts. some weight in it. you can get a more discrete black face model as well.

or to push the boat oot a bit you could have slung in a bit more cash and bought one of these kinetic models.

ska371_feature.jpg

Tommy Wiseau

just took delivery of a new addition to the collection. an Officine Panerai Luminor Submersible.

panerai-pam305-watch.jpg

cough. cough. replica. cough.

:stare:

That is a nice looking timepiece Dickman. Just did a quick Google for the real deal - 5 grand aye? :lol:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Spork, dangerous stuff that Erdinger.

aye they're not bad at all. all Seiko divers are really nice watches really. all the true geeks obsess about the many different movements and sub-variants but personally i'm more of a aesthetic value type of geek. as well as the mini monster i also have a couple of Seiko vintages but what i'm really after is a 'tuna can'. the holy grail of Seiko divers.

:stare:

That is a nice looking timepiece Dickman. Just did a quick Google for the real deal - 5 grand aye? :lol:

:lol: not normally one to give house room to a copy but i quite liked that one.

the real tomoly used to have a Rolex movement. these various replicas have a reasonable quality chinese movement. a LOLex movement, if you will.

Astonishing scenes.

Refresh the shed to see Larry has bumped a watch thread.

Who'd have thunk it. ;)

Astonishing scenes.

Refresh the shed to see Larry has bumped a watch thread.

Who'd have thunk it. ;)

not a shameless bump though. it was still on the first page.

not a shameless bump though. it was still on the first page.

I was only teasing, Larry. :)

I like watches as well, I just can't afford 'em. I have a Seiko F1 Honda felly the now and I'm quite partial to it. I also have A gorgeous Limit pocket watch from the seventies that was my dear old boy's. Neither are the sort that would probably rank in your top tips, but I love them dearly.

Now, my Storm watch from the nineties, god, I loved that watch... Xxx

I was only teasing, Larry. :)

I like watches as well, I just can't afford 'em. I have a Seiko F1 Honda felly the now and I'm quite partial to it. I also have A gorgeous Limit pocket watch from the seventies that was my dear old boy's. Neither are the sort that would probably rank in your top tips, but I love them dearly.

Now, my Storm watch from the nineties, god, I loved that watch... Xxx

not at all. those Sporturas are nice. I had my beady peepers on one the other day.

not at all. those Sporturas are nice. I had my beady peepers on one the other day.

The plastic strap snaps, though. :(

Had to get my pal to sort me out with the appropriate bracelet. It's silver, though, not as cool as the red and black was. :(

The plastic strap snaps, though. :(

Had to get my pal to sort me out with the appropriate bracelet. It's silver, though, not as cool as the red and black was. :(

and i think the lugs are pretty much bespoke. the replacement rubber straps are pricey. they come with the wee lugs attached i think.

sorry, i'm geeking oot here.

:huh:

Archived