Reasons for Hearts v Hibs Final

Clerry Jambo

Clerry Jambo

Stolen from the other side but fair points IMHO

Absolute cowardly loser nonsense. (Not you personally, the mentality on this issue.) Can't understand any Hibs fan not wanting this. Why are we football fans? Hibs v Hearts in the cup final is the game I dream off. That's why Hibs and Hearts are so poor, too many of the supporters on both clubs fear big games like these. We'd rather cocoon ourselves in mediocrity and enjoy the local bragging rights that attest to our flamboyant brilliance (6-2, 7-0) or their dull efficiency (22 games undefeated). The Old Firm are partly dominant because they have the confidence to know that if they lose a big game another will quickly come along. Both Hibs and Hearts have criminally underachieved for years in Scottish football. We should be playing in semis and finals regularly against each other, not seeing it as a once-in-a-lifetime thing. It's time we made the Edinburgh derby an occasion which went way beyond Edinburgh - a cup final is a great platform from which to relaunch Edinburgh football as a viable concern, rather than the local obsession of a dwindling band of people screaming gay and pedo songs at each other.

I would almost literally kill for a Hibs-Hearts final.

ps Not having his dull efficiency 22 gemme bollocks though!!

rossthejambo

Stolen from the other side but fair points IMHO

Absolute cowardly loser nonsense. (Not you personally, the mentality on this issue.) Can't understand any Hibs fan not wanting this. Why are we football fans? Hibs v Hearts in the cup final is the game I dream off. That's why Hibs and Hearts are so poor, too many of the supporters on both clubs fear big games like these. We'd rather cocoon ourselves in mediocrity and enjoy the local bragging rights that attest to our flamboyant brilliance (6-2, 7-0) or their dull efficiency (22 games undefeated). The Old Firm are partly dominant because they have the confidence to know that if they lose a big game another will quickly come along. Both Hibs and Hearts have criminally underachieved for years in Scottish football. We should be playing in semis and finals regularly against each other, not seeing it as a once-in-a-lifetime thing. It's time we made the Edinburgh derby an occasion which went way beyond Edinburgh - a cup final is a great platform from which to relaunch Edinburgh football as a viable concern, rather than the local obsession of a dwindling band of people screaming gay and pedo songs at each other.

I would almost literally kill for a Hibs-Hearts final.

All absolutely fair points, if it sold out it would be a brilliant final. I think they'd bottle it though and do what they did last time and not sell all their tickets.

Calling 22 games undefeated "dull efficiency" though? :lol:

Guest Prince William

rather than the local obsession of a dwindling band of people screaming gay and pedo songs at each other.

:rofl: so true.

Clerry Jambo

All absolutely fair points, if it sold out it would be a brilliant final. I think they'd bottle it though and do what they did last time and not sell all their tickets.

Calling 22 games undefeated "dull efficiency" though? :lol:

I did a quick edit Ross :thumbsup:

Some decent points.

Whilst I enjoy mocking Hibs as much as the next Hearts fan, sometimes we get blinded by it a little. To the point that I actually read a Hearts fan on here state that they'd rather Celtic than us got to the final if it was Hibs who made it there, just to 'make sure' that Hibs didn't win it.

Apart from the fact we have a mightily good record against Hibs, wanting them to fail over wanting Hearts to succeed is lunacy.

If you could give me the option at the start of the season to have a Hibs vs Hearts Scottish Cup final I'd bite your hand off for it. Yes it increases their chances of winning it, but not only does it give us a fantastic derby match, it also gives US a great chance of winning silverware.

110 and all the rest is great fun, but we cannot let it get in the way of our own interests.

In saying all this, Aberdeen will beat them anyway :thumbsup:

ToadKiller Dog

Doing the trinity of The Midden , the Tic and the Sheep would be not to bad either .

I am expecting Pa Broon to get the sheep to the final .

Hearts numbers at derbies are not dwindling but yes a big high profile cup final derby would be good in so many ways .

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

A Hearts/Hibs final is the unlikeliest of all possible scenarios, imo.

our flamboyant brilliance (6-2, 7-0) or their dull efficiency (22 games undefeated)

:lol: Incredible, just incredible. They really do live in cloud cuckoo land.

If it happened, it might as well be football's final chapter for me.

The last game of the season; the cup final for the prize they've waited a good couple lifetimes for; the Edinburgh derby.

It's the ultimate risk/reward proposition. Optimistic, I'd take it in a heartbeat. But I could understand someone worrying about it being too much for Hibs to finally win the cup against us. It's like a baseline personality test of sorts on how confident/cautious a person you are, because I'm certain of both: beating Hibs in the cup final would be the best win of my lifetime and losing to them would be the worst loss by some distance.

Imagine also that they'd been relegated (at the hands of JJ, no less!) and it was the last derby for who-knows-how-long...

Good vs. Evil, for all the marbles. Bring it on!

The last game of the season; the cup final for the prize they've waited a good couple lifetimes for; the Edinburgh derby.

It's the ultimate risk/reward proposition. Optimistic, I'd take it in a heartbeat. But I could understand someone worrying about it being too much for Hibs to finally win the cup against us. It's like a baseline personality test of sorts on how confident/cautious a person you are, because I'm certain of both: beating Hibs in the cup final would be the best win of my lifetime and losing to them would be the worst loss by some distance.

Imagine also that they'd been relegated (at the hands of JJ, no less!) and it was the last derby for who-knows-how-long...

I know it's not the done thing to admit any sort of weakness in these discussions but no kidding, the mere idea of that scenario is enough to give me palpitations. Goodness me. Can you imagine? I'd probably keel over with panic before the game even kicked off.

mellow.gif

I've had this chat with the boys, would be far to much to handle losing to them in a final... However if we won it would be the greatest day of my life. Just the thought of them beating us in a scottish cup final gives me the shivers. However surely we would pump them. They are mince!

mahgrassyshoes

I know it's not the done thing to admit any sort of weakness in these discussions but no kidding, the mere idea of that scenario is enough to give me palpitations. Goodness me. Can you imagine? I'd probably keel over with panic before the game even kicked off.

mellow.gif

I'm getting palpatations just thinking about the prospect, and I wouldn't turn down the chance of beating that lot for the world. It we got beat it would be devastating, but I would still be there expecting a win in the next game.

Their claims that 6-2 is still an achievement worth mentioning. :huh:

I'd hate us to be in the final with them. Right up until kick off. Then I'd just be really nervous. By the time our first hits the net I'd be having a party.

Vlad-Stupid

We'd destroy them in a final. Absolute destruction. Anyone fearing that shite may as well give up now.

Drewjambobusby

Every Hearts Fan would want this. Cannot believe every Hibs fan wouldn`t, even though i know why that is !!!

However unlikely, i can see this actually happening this year. Hibs could beat Aberdeen, although The sheep will be favourites ,and if we play to our strengths, and stop worrying about Celtics too much, then we could easily do the same. I just pray we have a right go. If Temps is fit, i would love him to tear them a new one on the wide open park, and Beattie to score against his manky former employers.

I can see this final happening this year.

rossthejambo

Every Hearts Fan would want this. Cannot believe every Hibs fan wouldn`t, even though i know why that is !!!

However unlikely, i can see this actually happening this year. Hibs could beat Aberdeen, although The sheep will be favourites ,and if we play to our strengths, and stop worrying about Celtics too much, then we could easily do the same. I just pray we have a right go. If Temps is fit, i would love him to tear them a new one on the wide open park, and Beattie to score against his manky former employers.

I can see this final happening this year.

Not going to happen.

Hibs will NOT beat Aberdeen. You can take that to the bank :greggy:

Drewjambobusby

Not going to happen.

Hibs will NOT beat Aberdeen. You can take that to the bank :greggy:

Totally understand that but Aberdeen not exactly world beaters. The 3 games between them this season have produced 1 goal in a 1-0 win for Aberdeen at home and two 0-0`s. Going to be close. Just have a feeling they will and so will we.

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

The OP is absolutely right. We should be talking up Edinburgh football and longing for every opportunity to showcase it. I'd happily take the Hearts Hibs final.

As for the above, I agree with the first part but not the second for me. Unless we lose by a huge margin, the 1973 New Years Day game will always be the worst game of my life.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Personally I think that the Hibs fan who typed that out is wrongly imagining that we fear the prospect as much as they do. Most fans I have spoken to are relishing the unlikely prospect. I can understand why they would fear it, me? I would go there expecting the win. thumbsup.gif

Alot of fair points but i hate when they align ourselves with their mediocrity. You get this alot from Hobos.

yes, Hearts haven`t won as much as they should have in their history but when it comes to league performance in general Hibs can`t compete.

Two notable last day hiccups have stopped us from adding two titles to our record which would put a more respectable look on that column.

And we have the best record outside the OF when it comes to wins/draws/losses leaue table.

Just usual Hobo pi sh and they jump on the trophy thing alot and the Hobo lets himself down as usual with envy about the 22 in a row part. Flamboyant brilliance????lol

But the points about fearing a final are true, some fans really are squeamish.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Alot of fair points but i hate when they align ourselves with their mediocrity. You get this alot from Hobos.

yes, Hearts haven`t won as much as they should have in their history but when it comes to league performance in general Hibs can`t compete.

Two notable last day hiccups have stopped us from adding two titles to our record which would put a more respectable look on that column.

And we have the best record outside the OF when it comes to wins/draws/losses leaue table.

Just usual Hobo pi sh and they jump on the trophy thing alot. But the points about fearing a final are true, some fans really are squeamish.

Precisely, deflect from your own team's lack of success by laughably claiming that we are just as bad as they are... Well we are not perfect but we completely dominate that shower and would do so in a Cup Final Derby too. 0-7? **** me rigid, is that all they have? Seriously? rolleyes.gif

Hearts Heritage

Hearts have lost the league on the last day 3 times. The one that gets forgotten is 1959 iirc .

Hearts were winning 1-0 to Celtic and lost 2-1 whilst Rangers lost to Aberdeen .

Hibs lost to Hearts in dec 1896 in the effective 'league decider' thus handing the title to HMFC.

In the early 50s they drew 0-0 with Rangers at Ibrox on the penultimate game of the season. A win would have given them the title. They lost out on goal average the following week. That same season hearts took 4 points from Hibs and 0 from Rangers. 1 point less or more Would have given Hibs the title

I'd love nothing more than a Hearts v Hibs cup final. They'd probably bring less than 1000 fans to the first derby at Tynie next time they play us (won't be next season as they'll be in the first) as they'll still be humiliated from losing 5-0.

:greggy:

Funny how he never mentioned the 020406 semi final....

probably cos he was not there :whistling:

As far as I'm concerned if Hearts are in a Scottish Cup final then bring on anybody, if its Hibs then bring them on double - if we lose then so be it I'll still be proud of being a Jambo and glad I've never had to face years of humiliation, terrible football, empty stands, spent every derby day finding an excuse not to leave the house and spent my entire footballing life hating my city rivals more than I love my own club.

We win and we officialy own them - no coming back from it this time!

Heartsofgold

I have to be honest, I do not think my heart could take a Hearts/hibs Cup Final. Can you imagine it if the vermin put 1 over us??? Don't get me wrong, it would be a brilliant day but that little worry of them winning, I really don't know. :huh:

colin barclay

Working beside a Hibby today who said because their semi is on Saturday and ours on the Sunday he wants them to lose against Aberdeen cause he says they will lose final anyway and it would be 50/50 that the team horsing them in final would be us and that would be far more painful to take than a defeat from the sheep. Loving his optomism :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Drewjambobusby

Working beside a Hibby today who said because their semi is on Saturday and ours on the Sunday he wants them to lose against Aberdeen cause he says they will lose final anyway and it would be 50/50 that the team horsing them in final would be us and that would be far more painful to take than a defeat from the sheep. Loving his optomism :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Would rather microwave my plums than have an outlook like that ???? No wonder their team bottles it time and time again.

Would you put your house on red or black?

Because that would happen if Hearts vs. Hibernian.

If we won it would be the biggest game in our History.

If we lost it would be the worst defeat in our History.

I will be happy with Aberdeen.

Drewjambobusby

Would you put your house on red or black?

Because that would happen if Hearts vs. Hibernian.

If we won it would be the biggest game in our History.

If we lost it would be the worst defeat in our History.

I will be happy with Aberdeen.

I would prefer to think of the game, as someone playing with Marked cards.

Ron Burgundy

Under no circumstances do I want to play that lot in the Scottish Cup Final.No way,not ever.

Drewjambobusby

Don't even know if we've ever met in a cup final before ?

We have indeed sir and the Jambos won 3-1 at Powderhall. The only time the final was held outside Glasgow.

Hearts have lost the league on the last day 3 times. The one that gets forgotten is 1959 iirc .

Hearts were winning 1-0 to Celtic and lost 2-1 whilst Rangers lost to Aberdeen .

Hibs lost to Hearts in dec 1896 in the effective 'league decider' thus handing the title to HMFC.

In the early 50s they drew 0-0 with Rangers at Ibrox on the penultimate game of the season. A win would have given them the title. They lost out on goal average the following week. That same season hearts took 4 points from Hibs and 0 from Rangers. 1 point less or more Would have given Hibs the title

I had that in mind but it wasn`t necessarily in our hands. I could be wrong but i thought Rangers were top and we needed them to be beaten and us to win.

I guess the issue is the teams have had so little success, in relative terms, the fear factor is huge of having it lorded over you by your biggest rivals is too big for some. The chances of us meeting each other on arguably the biggest stage in Scottish football are slim. We don't even meet in the cups that often. Don't even know if we've ever met in a cup final before.

I personally say bring it on. We don't get to cup finals very often so I want it to be as big as event as possible. The semi was much bigger for me and in truth the cup final was a bit of a anti-climax. The banter, the anticipation, the feeling of elation would be much greater facing and hopefully beating the hobos. Obviously the downside would be much worse than getting beat by say the OF. However, as a club, players and fans these ate the moments we should relish and want.

I guess the expression you have nothing to fear except fear itself applies for me.

A good point i suppose. The fear of being beaten in a final and for both sides not to reach the final again for a very long time is in the back of peoples minds.

The OF often meet in finals and i suppose with both having decent success there isn`t that fear of being the butt of ridicule for years on end. However, as pointed out i`d love an Edinburgh final. It`s what we live for as fans and you`ll just have to take the hit if it went wrong. I`d be confident though we wouldn`t let that carp win.

It`ll be Aberdeen anyway.

janie jones

This a true exchange of texts, word for word that I had with my Hibbee season ticket holding mate this morning:

Me "Hearts v Hibs final?"

Him "F****** hope not"

Me "We'll probably both lose in the semi's anyway"

Him "I probably wouldn't go if we got you lot in the final"

Me"You never know,you might beat us? Just think how you would feel if you ended your 110 year drought by beating us in the final"

Him "We both know that isn't going to happen!"

My mate isn't always pessimistic before derbies but I genuinely think we have broken their collective spirit this season.Whilst I would be nervous of a derby final, I would also be quietly confident and for somebody who thinks 98 can never be bettered, doing that lot in the final would make 98 look like a vicar's tea party!

Big_Hearts_Runner

I will fly home early from the United States if we get them in the Final. MASSIVE game if it happens. :rolleyes:

Me too, I've already started saving.

I'd rather play Aberdeen to be fair. But if we did get them, the worst that could happen is they win the cup and we can't slag them about it again. Wouldn't come remotely close to Dens park.

And in all likelihood we would pummel them again, since they'll still be gutted after getting relegated the week before.

i wish jj was my dad

The semi final in 2006 is just shaded by THAT day in 98 for me. As much as I celebrated beating Gretna, and by **** did we go through the ringer, the semi was the biggie for me.

Beating Hibs in a final is the only thing I think that could top the feeling of 98. I never slept for a week before 98. I'd be even worse against Hibs.

I'd love it. Yes there would be nerves, of course there would. Biggest game of the season against them?

But, take our level of trepidation and quadruple it and that is what they would be feeling. Fans AND players.

They won't have forgotten 2006. Or their derby whitewash this season. Or their continually awful record against us.

Bring it on!

I would bet my future life earnings on beating those scaffy tregs in the final and I am by some distance the world's most negative human being.

Archived