Unsuccesful Footballing Capital Cities

i8hibsh

I was thinking recently that Hearts and Hibs must be one of the least successful Capital City teams on the planet.

Glasgow league titles ? 96

Edinburgh league titles ? 8

Den Haag in Holland too is very unsuccessful.

The 14 London league clubs have not won as much as the 2 Manchester.

Any others (there probably is)

Sadly I see Glasgow is the most successful footballing city in the world with 207 combined trophies. :down:

Rome for one. never won a chapmions league title/ very few league title wins. In fact there have only been 5 winners of the European Cup/ Champions League that have hailed from a Capital city......

Who can Name them?

Rome for one. never one a chapions league title. In fact there have only been 5 winners of the European Cup/ Champions League that have hailed from a Capital city......

Who can Name them?

Madrid

RS Belgrade

S Bucharest

Benfica?

Pre reunification, Bonn. Post, Berlin has hardly been dominant in the Bundesliga.

Will take issue with the OP re The Hague being the capital of the Netherlands.

Rome has had some success but not a patch on Turin or Milan, likewise Paris (I think!)

Cardiff

Most successful in Wales tho.

Sorry I kinda mean in their own country

Rome for one. never won a chapmions league title/ very few league title wins. In fact there have only been 5 winners of the European Cup/ Champions League that have hailed from a Capital city......

Who can Name them?

Madrid

RS Belgrade

S Bucharest

Benfica?

Ajax of Amsterdam

Berlin's a pretty good suggestion - Hertha haven't won the league since the 30s, apparently.

Berlin's a pretty good suggestion - Hertha haven't won the league since the 30s, apparently.

Although in the DDR, the team with the most Oberliga titles was BFC Dynamo Berlin.

So in a way, Berlin was a very successful capital city.

gdr.gif

Only a guess, but I would imagine there might be a spread of title wins amongst teams in Sweden that play outside the capital.

Buffalo Bill

Go into any Edinburgh housing scheme on a summer's day and there's every chance you'll see kids wearing replica Rangers and Celtic tops, at least as much as Hearts and Hibs. Alternitavely, you have areas such as the city centre, Stockbrige, Barnton, Crammond, Corstorphine, Morningside, the Grange, Southside etc that probably has a only a very small percentage of people who are interested in football.

I would guess that around 80% (possibly more) of Scottish football fans, be it regular attenders or otherwise support either half of the Old Firm; hence why the social demographic provides such a massive economic advantage towards the Old Firm.

Football, a working-class game, became particularly popular in large, working class cities such as Glasgow, Newcastle, Liverpool, Manchester, the Ruhr Valley, northern Italy etc.

Whereas Spain, England, Italy, France, Germany has a good spread of decent sized teams, Scotland, with a population of 5M stuggles to generate much competition whilst harbouring so many glory hunters.

Go into any Edinburgh housing scheme on a summer's day and there's every chance you'll see kids wearing replica Rangers and Celtic tops, at least as much as Hearts and Hibs. Alternitavely, you have areas such as the city centre, Stockbrige, Barnton, Crammond, Corstorphine, Morningside, the Grange, Southside etc that probably has a only a very small percentage of people who are interested in football.

I would guess that around 80% (possibly more) of Scottish football fans, be it regular attenders or otherwise support either half of the Old Firm; hence why the social demographic provides such a massive economic advantage towards the Old Firm.

Football, a working-class game, became particularly popular in large, working class cities such as Glasgow, Newcastle, Liverpool, Manchester, the Ruhr Valley, northern Italy etc.

Whereas Spain, England, Italy, France, Germany has a good spread of decent sized teams, Scotland, with a population of 5M stuggles to generate much competition whilst harbouring so many glory hunters.

Corstorphine?? mmmm.... full of football supporters.

I think you`d be very surprised at the amount of people who like football in Edinburgh from more `leafy` areas.....they just probably don`t frequent games.

It certainly is, and has been since I t'were a lad.

Sadly more vermin creeping in now, however.

dry.gif

SpikeDudley

tried to start a "Corrie Rules" chant on the bus back home last night but it very quickly turned into the usual "Gorgie Rules" :teehee:

alwaysthereinspirit

I was thinking recently that Hearts and Hibs must be one of the least successful Capital City teams on the planet.

Glasgow league titles ? 96

Edinburgh league titles ? 8

Den Haag in Holland too is very unsuccessful.

The 14 London league clubs have not won as much as the 2 Manchester.

Any others (there probably is)

Sadly I see Glasgow is the most successful footballing city in the world with 207 combined trophies. :down:

How many of the 207 are bought and paid for?

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

How many of the 207 are bought and paid for?

They're all bought and paid for. The issue is with whose money? And how much tax is still due?

ToadKiller Dog

Young Boys of Bern in Switzerland have not been that sucsessful compared with other swiss sides like Grasshoppers and FC basel.

Although in the DDR, the team with the most Oberliga titles was BFC Dynamo Berlin.

gdr.gif

Ha. More rigged than the SPL!

I do think that the east german football federation was the model that our own SFA have decided to follow for the last 50 years!

Legia Warsaw aren't the biggest or most successful team in Poland.

Ruch Churzow and a few others have more titles.

Notorious BIG

London have excellent teams but its liverpool and Man UTD that dominate the Titles, Plus not a team from London has won the champs league

Seymour M Hersh

I think you`d be very surprised at the amount of people who like football in Edinburgh from more `leafy` areas.....they just probably don`t frequent games.

Being a "leafy suburbanite" myself I can confirm my liking for football. I go too!! :teehee:

I think you`ld be very surprised at the amount of people who like football in Edinburgh from more `leafy` areas.....they just probably don`t frequent games.

When I was a wee boy I lived at 3 Lampacre Road Corstorphine, Jimmy Wardhaugh lived next door at 1 Lampacre. Hearts fans and players used to turn up all the time. In these days ( around '55 I think) Corstorphine was an enclave of Hearts support. The local Pinkhill Station ( who remembers that) was jammed ( no pun ) on match days. As a wee boy I thought all Hearts fans came from Corstorphine! It might be a spam belt now but not then. "Mr Wardhaugh " as my mother insisted took me to tynecastle and showed me the Cup in '56 and remember all the other players playing snooker upstairs in the old stand somewhere. People ask me why I am aHearts fan. I kept in touch with JW through his days at the Express and remember the day he died after an East Fife game at Bayview. But good God what a player, we will never see the likes again.

winningways

Another football supporter originally from Corstorphine here , oh it can't be there are now about three on this thread and that's too many.

letsalllaughathobos

gdr.gif

Absolutly superb badge, love it

Auld Reekin'

When I was a wee boy I lived at 3 Lampacre Road Corstorphine, Jimmy Wardhaugh lived next door at 1 Lampacre. Hearts fans and players used to turn up all the time. In these days ( around '55 I think) Corstorphine was an enclave of Hearts support. The local Pinkhill Station ( who remembers that) was jammed ( no pun ) on match days. As a wee boy I thought all Hearts fans came from Corstorphine! It might be a spam belt now but not then. "Mr Wardhaugh " as my mother insisted took me to tynecastle and showed me the Cup in '56 and remember all the other players playing snooker upstairs in the old stand somewhere. People ask me why I am aHearts fan. I kept in touch with JW through his days at the Express and remember the day he died after an East Fife game at Bayview. But good God what a player, we will never see the likes again.

I'll trump yer Pinkhill Station with Balgreen Halt! :P

:euro::wheelchair:

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

Aye, but you had Jimmy O'Rourke running the Corstorphine Inn in the 70s, so it wasn't all Hearts bliss. ;)

Add these

Oslo - 1 win for Valeranga (spelling?) is all since top league set up in 1991

Brussels - 1975 was the only time a local team won since the 1930s - their clubs kept folding/amalgamating

Bloody hell it is becoming aparent that infact the provincial teams are more successful.

Why is that?

Bloody hell it is becoming aparent that infact the provincial teams are more successful.

Why is that?

In democracies, provincial teams do well.

In dictatorships (left and right wing), public money poured into teams fae the capital. Spain, Portugal, Eastern Europe.

We need a Scottish dictator, with a liking for the capital and a team from the capital.......

Denny Crane

Add these

Oslo - 1 win for Valeranga (spelling?) is all since top league set up in 1991

Brussels - 1975 was the only time a local team won since the 1930s - their clubs kept folding/amalgamating

Remind me which Belgian city Anderlecht play in again...

Isaac Clarke

Craigs Road...full of football fans.

Plenty Old Firm fans though.

southside1874

Does footballing cities perform better if their footballing association headquarters are based in that city :whistling:

Buffalo Bill

Fair enough Debut4, but that's really slim pickings on your part to counter the general context of my point by pulling me up for using 'Corstorphine'.

Let's take Corstorphine out of the arguement, although I meant Corstorphine as in the posh part, up the hill; not your Carrick Knowes and Broompark etc.

Fxxx the SPFL

Another football supporter originally from Corstorphine here , oh it can't be there are now about three on this thread and that's too many.

I went out with a bird from Corstorpine in the seventies does that count.

PS I live in deepest Trinity now that just shows that scaffs can move up the social ladder after my gorgie upbringing.:thumbsup:

In democracies, provincial teams do well.

In dictatorships (left and right wing), public money poured into teams fae the capital. Spain, Portugal, Eastern Europe.

We need a Scottish dictator, with a liking for the capital and a team from the capital.......

*cough*

When do I start?

Archived