Voting structure talks

Victorian

apparently the other 10 clubs are holding talks about changing the voting.

celtic are said to be especially angry about it. they are said to believe that they are responsible for generating 85% of the SPL's revenues.

:cornette:

feck me. :rofl:

Even more mysteriously the future owners of rangers are also unhappy about the proposed voting structure !!

Just where the **** do these idiots get this information from ?!

Can the BBC at least give a name of who they've been talking too, Im sure the rangers supporters would love to know who this new owner is they now have !!

These weegie idiots just make this crap up.

Orkneyjambo

And the BBC even said that the potential new owners could be put off bidding as a result. So they contacted all four worldwide superhero consortiums and obtained their views all while they were breaking the news

No bias in the report then !

celtic are said to be especially angry about it. they are said to believe that they are responsible for generating 85% of the SPL's revenues.

feck me. :rofl:

No doubt Rangers think the same. That would make 170%.

i just about fell off my seat at the 85%. i'm actually completely stumped as to how they could dream that up. it can surely only be that they are taking credit for all the gate revenues collected by the other clubs. not just for the visiting celtic fans but also for the home fans.

the arrogance is mind blowing.

celtic are said to be especially angry about it. They are said to believe that they are responsible for generating 85% of the SPL's revenues.

I wouldn't have believed this, if I hadn't seen and heard it for myself. Absolutely stunning incompetence / ignorance by the BBC - yet again. :sad:

Rick Grimes

Even if the Old Firm bring in 75% of the revenues between them, which surely must have been what Celtic meant, they've got to understand that they're part of a larger league structure and have a responsibility to the game at large.

Either that or just piss off & play each other 30 odd times a season and see how much anyone really cares about them anyway.

As Keith Wyness once said - just like a couple of auld hoors flashing their smelly, dried up ######'s at any passer bye with a pound to spend.

great to see the other 10 grow a backbone. OF - GTF. If you don't like it, get to feck and go play each other every week. And take your lapdog media parasites with you.

bigsuperslim1874

The pair of them are rattled big time it seems. At long last the other SPL clubs have grown a pair. **** the old firm.

So the same Celtic that are up in arms are the ones that last last week were discussing moving out of the league down south?

And the BBC even said that the potential new owners could be put off bidding as a result. So they contacted all four worldwide superhero consortiums and obtained their views all while they were breaking the news

No bias in the report then !

Good. Sooner the hun **** off and liquidate the happier times for the rest of us.

southside1874

This revenue co efficient thing that influences the best interest of the game is why Scottish Football is all wrong. Football is a sport and a level playing field is what is required. Celtic or Rangers couldn't generate any income if they didn't have a league to play in. There is currently 12 teams that make up that league and any changes should be of a democratic nature. Anything based in Glasgow has a twist to it. It's a working class city with gang mentality.

rossthejambo

Changing the voting structure might put off Rangers' prospective buyers you say?

What's the hold up?

colinmaroon

Changing the voting structure might put off Rangers' prospective buyers you say?

What's the hold up?

Aye, all the more reason to get it changed.

51% of the vote, often less can determine a General Election but 90% can not change an SPL rule. Ludicrous.

CEO's that earn hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions of pounds only exist because of the people below them that earn a pittance...

It was only a matter of time before there would be a revolt. Lets see the two big men of the (old) firm survive without the so called "peons".

to be fair if hearts were bringing in the majority of the money I reckon we would think similar.

The danger for me is even if Rangers/Celtic did go the new "big" clubs would just do a similar thing in terms of voting and structure.

Thunderstruck

The most important FACT is they, the OF, are worth the square root of f-all without a league to play in.

Without 10 other teams, there would nothing worth televising, nothing to attract sponsorship/advertising/corporate income and nothing for their support to blow their giros on.

They are in our league so play by our rules.

The most important FACT is they, the OF, are worth the square root of f-all without a league to play in.

Without 10 other teams, there would nothing worth televising, nothing to attract sponsorship/advertising/corporate income and nothing for their support to blow their giros on.

They are in our league so play by our rules.

On one of their forums one Celtic fan suggested that they should start a league with the current first division teams. Do these lot not realise that everyone else in Scottish football has had enough of them, not just the 10?

fabienleclerq

Hopefully the other clubs stick to their guns and if the OF dont like it they can pee off elsewhere and we can have a competitive league.

The Old Firm are Scum.

That is all.

hard to disagree with the above statement :thumbsup:

I do disagree with this statement ... SCUM should have been all in capitals :thumbsup:

Forgive my ignorance, but how realistic is the idea of this change? Wouldn't it have to pass a vote 11-1 in the first place?

portobellojambo1

Celtic claiming changing the voting structure will affect the TV deal. WHAT??? blink.gifblink.gif

It won't affect the TV deal as such, but it will affect the manner in which the revenue generated by any TV deal is split, in that the other clubs will get a fairer share of that deal.

And as for another poster who has indicated if the SPL lost Rangers and Celtic whoever then took up the top couple of positions would then carve up a similar deal to get the lion's share, that wouldn't be possible if the voting structure is correctly changed. I would like to see them implement 8-4 (i.e. a 66% majority), rather than the present system.

To revert to such a structure, would need all the clubs to then vote to change back the system they are looking to change, because they know at the moment it is totally unfair.

7-5 split for me as everyone knows by now that the two Saints are the OF's bitches.

Unless St Johnstone get a new owner they will do anything to protect the OF,and as for St Liedown I think we all know where their loyalties lie.

I really don't know why the OF are making a big deal about this. There are enough chairman in the SPL who will forgive them any sin as long as they can get their hordes into their ground spending money twice a season. Which is why our game is totally f*cked.

southside1874

to be fair if hearts were bringing in the majority of the money I reckon we would think similar.

The danger for me is even if Rangers/Celtic did go the new "big" clubs would just do a similar thing in terms of voting and structure.

Thats why they don't have this in other countries? Thats why they have parachute payments to clubs in England. The weegies take the money and don't give two thoughts about the rest of the league. They rape Scottish football and fly Irish tricolours and union Flags.

Nonsense.

Chris McLaughlin is tweeting that the SPL chairmen (of the 10 clubs) are warning of a 'civil war' if things don't change the way they want.

11-1 is the daftest rule ever, it's essentially a case of the OF conceding on unanimity by 1 club. 9-3 opens the door to real reform, they know that.

Time for change, Play-Offs, 12 way split of cash in the SPL evenly and squad size caps are the first things we should implement.

Grow a pair of jack straws the other ten clubs.

Or should it be 9 clubs.

Rod Petrie and the wee teram need the old firm to get what they want.

They will vote with the old firm.

colinmaroon

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/17467025

strong words indeed,hope they back the shizzle up and change for the better

Greatly encouraged by that.

The problem is the Bigot Brothers see the SPL as a means to an end - virtually guaranteed European qualification.

We are seen as the peasants who exist solely for the good of the robber barons.

The Comedian

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17467025

Strong mysterious words. Why can't these quotes be attributed to someone?

The chat about sponsorship and takeovers being at risk is a last ditch attempt by the scum influence matters. They are out the loop on this one and are shitting bricks.

kingantti1874

Rangers and Celtic have never understood that the best way to grow their clubs is to help to grow the league, a better more competitive league means more revenue for them.. Their position is understandable - but very very naive and shortsighted... Thame fact that they want to dominate decisions in the game here, yet would jump ship at the First opportunity cannot be allowed to continue... The other clubs need to take control of their own destiny... And Celtic and rangers can be a part of it ... Or save us all the trouble and piss off now

Grow a pair of jack straws the other ten clubs.

Or should it be 9 clubs.

Rod Petrie and the wee teram need the old firm to get what they want.

They will vote with the old firm.

Obviously you missed the debate on Scottish football and the thread. He would be a front runner for change as he himself has said the current system is unfair and a level playing field is needed. Not that Im a big Petrie fan but he is one of the few who HAS spoke out and for all he's a hibby, fair play to him for that.

Punks No Deid

Nows the time to do something about the ridiculous existing set-up and voting structure. Smeltic have been slapped down (yet again) in their attempt to go down to England, will they never accept the fact that they're not wanted? Here's hoping that the clubs stick to their guns & see it through, I'm afraid I have my doubts though - not convinced the two Saints will do the needful when it comes to the crunch.

alwaysthereinspirit

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/17467025

I like the bit about Celtic being disapointed that they had no prior warning about this meeting taking place.

Probably about as much heads up as the OF gave their league partners when they were meeting with English league officials discussing a move away from Scottish football.

They really are all about "having your cake and eating it too"

Libertarian

The OF have failed to realise that if the product isn't right then eventually not only the so called wee clubs but the entire league will suffer, therefore it is in everyone's interest to have a healthy product not one where the result is known before the season starts every August. Also I do think that there is a responsibility for the Scottish Government to start getting involved by invoking a progressive tax system (when these powers are achieved) to ensure a more level playing field in Scotland. Otherwise the game will continue to decline and die. Football in Scotland is the national sport and is more than just a pasttime it employs hundreds (possibly thousands) and it's incumbant upon governmental authorities (not just the SFA & SPL who are hopeless)to ensure that the professional game is healthy and the best way to do this is by a fairer distribution of revenues currently generated.

fabienleclerq

Btw 9/3 is almost as bad it needs to be 7/5 because the OF will bully/buy one club no bother to get what they want.

Btw 9/3 is almost as bad it needs to be 7/5 because the OF will bully/buy one club no bother to get what they want.

7/5 is too close. 8/4 would be ideal.

11/5 would be better....

jamboinglasgow

The old firm need to bully two clubs to block things in 9/3. Though I agree with below that 8/4 is best.

fabienleclerq

7/5 is too close. 8/4 would be ideal.

11/5 would be better....

11/5 would be ideal for me, we need to give the league the power not two of it's customers!!

Floridajambo

Lets not vote at all on this then! Lets have the 10 rejoin the SFL/SFA league and form a new SPL, to which the old firm are welcome to join, but on new terms. Lets look at the numbers.

TV Deal. Lets put 16 teams in this new league and show 1 game per week on Sky, plus once a month, a second one. Seems the going rate for non-old firm games is about 150K. So assume 40 televised league games a season, that would be a TV deal of about 6 million pounds. Cheaper for Sky, and much the same $$ for us non-old firm teams;

Gate revenue. Hearts average gate of ~12000. Four old firm games adds lets say 5000 more people. so presume old firm stay, and we play only once at home - we lose 10000 tickets sales per year. We also drop from 38 to 30 games, so lose 4 home gates. In total, ~50,000 tickets. So we are 60,000 sold seats less. Thats a lot. But, imagine 2 years time. We have a seriously competitive league. The top 6 are seperated by 5 points and all can realistically win the title. Over the season, we have to add ~4000 people at every home game. Last time we challenged in 2006, getting a walk-up ticket was almost impossible. The loss of revenue could realistically be made up -especially as you only play each other at home once per year. Add in a couple of home/away cup ties and you get more people through the gate and that 60000 gap evaporates.

The old firm are scared of 16 teams because currently, with 8 games against them, yes you might get lucky and beat them once or twice a season, but over the piece, they WILL take more points of you than you do against them. Imagine if Hearts were beating absolutely everyone and we only had our ONE home game per season against Celtic left...with winner winning the league.....

I didn't expect much from these talks at all, fully expected them to be more of a gesture than anything really meaningful...so this is very very encouraging. Well done club bosses, you're showing more balls than I ever thought you would even just getting to this point.

So much for not needing Rangers, eh Celtic? whistling.gif

Archived