Ditching the split

maroonlegions

maroonlegions

Ditching the split

By MARK BONTHRONE and COLLEEN PATERSON

FANS and leading football figures today called on the much-maligned SPL split to be scrapped but admit that replacing the current 12-team set-up with a 16-team top tier comes with a health warning.

The controversial system which sees the league break into two sections for the final five matches of the campaign was designed to engineer a degree of excitement for teams in mid-table towards the end of the season. However, since its inception in season 2000/2001 it has won few supporters and has come in for substantial criticism. The format means clubs are often handed unequal numbers of home and away matches and can end up facing opponents three times away from home.

On Sunday, Hibs face their third trip to Tannadice this season with Dundee United only having to visit Easter Road once.:107years:

With the sides locked in battle with Motherwell for third place and a UEFA Cup spot, that could be a massive advantage for the Tangerines. John Hughes' Falkirk missed out on the top six by the skin of their teeth this season ? but that's not the reason why the former Hibs defender wants to see changes to the SPL.

The Bairns boss, pictured, watched his side lose to Aberdeen last Monday night, consigning them to a final five matches against the teams in the bottom half of the table. And, while he admits that it was exciting to have been involved in such a close battle with the Dons and Hearts for sixth place this term, he concedes that the current league-split scenario is not one he favours. However, while a 16-team league would be more to his liking, he insists that it would only be an improvement if implemented properly.

Falkirk missed out on promotion in season 2002-03 because their old stadium Brockville was not up to SPL standards, but Hughes says one of the first things that would have to be introduced would be even more criteria for stadia.

He said: "When you're involved in the battle for the top six it can be exciting for the players and the fans and they're big games to play in.

"But if you're not involved, then it's not really for me. I'm not saying that because we lost out ? I thought that we were unlucky last week. We were just unfortunate, but there are a lot of things about Scottish football that I would change.

"A 16-team league is all fair and well, but if you were to bring that in there would have to be more criteria in terms of the stadium ? and I include us in that.

"We have had to take our medicine as far as stadium rules have gone in the past and we have done that and now we are in the SPL in our own right.

"But as far as I am concerned you would have to have new rules and regulations drawn up as to the standards of stadia and one of the first things would be that you have to have four stands up."

Former Hearts chairman Leslie Deans echoed Hughes' belief that a 16-team set-up would be the ideal way forward for the game although he questioned whether Scotland has enough top sides to make this work.

And he conceded that the game in this country may be stuck with the current structure unless a number of First Division clubs can take significant steps forward. "It's not a perfect system, and the perfect system for me would be a 16-team league but I'm not sure we have enough teams of sufficient strength to compete," he said.

"There isn't really a way round that, short of some smaller teams improving.

"You also have to remember that the SPL has criteria regarding stadia and you have to question how many of the smaller teams would meet these. It has been suggested that these criteria be changed but equally that would be very unfair on teams who have spent a lot of money complying with these criteria.

"They would have a justifiable complaint I think. It's a very thorny question.

"I think the top six keeps interest in the season going when otherwise a mid-table team may be left with nothing to play for, for a large part of the season," Deans went on. "This season Hearts fans had something to look forward to with the battle for top six, for example, when they otherwise they might not have.

"For a lot of clubs there is little doubt that the split generates a lot of interest that otherwise wouldn't be there.

"Without it you could be in the situation where some teams are left with nothing at stake from, say, the beginning of February. They could be out the cups, have no chance of winning the league and have no threat of relegation. The split, at least, can keep a level of intensity going right to the end.

"There are, of course, problems whereby some teams get more home games than others pre-split and that can then create problems thereafter in terms of who plays where."

This season Hearts fans are gearing up for their first-ever participation in the bottom six following a dismal campaign while Hibs will be competing in the upper section as they chase third place and qualification in the UEFA Cup.

This, of course, means Edinburgh fans will be deprived of a fourth derby while Jambos supporters will be preparing for games against the likes of St Mirren and Gretna rather than more mouth-watering ties against the Old Firm.:rolleyes:

Despite the contrasting fortunes of their clubs this season, fans of either team share the same opinions on the merits of the split. And both groups believe a switch to a 16-team structure would improve the chances of a side outwith the Old Firm challenging for the title.

Derek Watson, chairman of the Heart of Midlothian Supporters' Trust said: "Overall I think most supporters would like to see the league increased to 16 or 18 teams.

"I think if clubs were only playing each other twice, in a 16 or 18-team league, then there would be more chance of somebody challenging the Old Firm. Playing four games against the Old Firm is too much. John Robertson said at a Trust meeting recently that if we were to take the league back to two games against each side it would be easier to see a challenge coming from somewhere.

"Some people argue that there isn't enough quality to take the league up to 16 or 18 but I don't see this being the case.

"If you look at the likes of Dundee, St Johnstone and even Queen of the South, they have shown in one-off games they can compete.

"The longer these teams are in the top flight the more I think they would improve and they also have reasonable-sized supports.

"I think these teams would definitely add something to any top league set-up but of course the top teams may be resistant to any kind of change."

Hibees Bounce administrator Colin Dudgeon also believes that a 16-team league would be the best way to try and break the Old Firm stranglehold on the Scottish game.

He said: "A sharper, shorter season could even give other teams a chance because Rangers and Celtic have larger squads and are more equipped for a lengthy campaign.

"And I think that there would also be more scope for playing cup games on Saturdays as well.

"At the minute a lot of ties are squeezed in on midweek nights and, because League Cup games are played to a finish it can make it very difficult.:107years:

"If a midweek game goes to extra-time and penalties then it's a really late finish.:107years:

"I have children and I have to make a decision over whether to take them to League Cup games on Tuesday or Wednesday nights because I know there's a risk that we won't be home much before midnight.

"Playing fewer league games and switching cup ties to one of the free Saturdays would make for a cracking atmosphere."(02-04-06) :rolleyes:

Searching for the right blend .. history behind the SPL

THE Scottish Football League underwent radical change in 1975-76 amid the backdrop of attendances dropping alarmingly.

Celtic had won nine league titles in a row ? between 1966 and 1974 ? and the gulf between the existing two divisions and the dominance of the Old Firm led to a chronic lack of competition.

It was concluded that the solution lay in restructuring to three divisions in order to concentrate the strongest clubs. The newly-formed "Premier Division" was to consist of ten clubs who would play each other four times.

This was later increased to 12 teams in 1986-87, leaving clubs with a massive 44-game season.

This set-up lasted until September 1997 when, driven by the top clubs' desire to retain more of the revenue generated by the game, Scotland's top-ten professional clubs announced their intention to resign from the SFL

and form a breakaway league, the SPL.

The new SPL also caused a sea change in the way the game was funded north of the Border. Originally, league sponsorship money had been divided proportionally between clubs in all four divisions. Now that was abandoned.

The SPL used a ten-team format but it was enlarged to 12 for the 2000-01 season onwards. Since then, the SPL has operated a "split" format to prevent the need for a 44-game schedule. Under this system, after 33 games the division is split into two halves, and clubs play a further five matches.

The system does have several downsides. Firstly, it can result in the team placed seventh having a higher points total than the team placed sixth.:evilno:

The second problem is that the league race has often been all but over by the time the league splits into two and thus meaningless games can become the order of the day.

would love it if they scraped it , seems stupid that if teams not in the top six eventually finish up with more points than say 5th or sixth ,they stay were they are, mental.

Buffalo Bill

I would love to see a sixteen team, thirty league game SPL; playing each team home and away ONCE!

Imagine the excitement games against Hibs, Celtic and Rangers would generate. As for the rest, they'd be enjoyable cannon fodder if we get a bloody manager in.

The SPL sucks.

Buffalo Bill

Dr Ian Malcolm

I don't understand why Hughes feels teams should have four stands etc. - teams like Livingston, Partick Thistle etc don't need big stadiums. Its no wonder the smaller teams struggle when they come up - they put so much investent in to unecessarily large stands that they don't have enough financially to ensure they can have a proper go at staying in the SPL.

As long as their pitch is sorted with undersoil heating and is playable (I'm talking to you Motherwell) then they should be allowed in. If they maintain SPL status for a number of years THEN teeams might be in a position to improve/expand their stadiums as it would most likely see an upturn in attendances. The situtation just ow is seeing teams chuck stands up for a season, go down and are stuck with empty stands they can't fill with no money to get back in to the SPL.

Thig Ar Latha

Stadium's should'nt be too much of an issue. Of the current top five who would look for promotion (assuming Gretna go down) three have Stadium which must be SPL compliant because they have played there in recent years, Dundee, St Johnstone and Dunfermline. Of the other two, Hamilton have very little work to do and QoS have made great strides forwards in recent years (Judging by tv and Press pictures)

Beneath them Livingston and Partick have played in the SPL, Livingston should be ok, but Partick should be able to get there.

I don't understand why Hughes feels teams should have four stands etc. - teams like Livingston, Partick Thistle etc don't need big stadiums. Its no wonder the smaller teams struggle when they come up - they put so much investent in to unecessarily large stands that they don't have enough financially to ensure they can have a proper go at staying in the SPL.

As long as their pitch is sorted with undersoil heating and is playable (I'm talking to you Motherwell) then they should be allowed in. If they maintain SPL status for a number of years THEN teeams might be in a position to improve/expand their stadiums as it would most likely see an upturn in attendances. The situtation just ow is seeing teams chuck stands up for a season, go down and are stuck with empty stands they can't fill with no money to get back in to the SPL.

The thing is that Motherwell have been the cause of the match congestion this season because of the state of their pitch but there have been no sanctions by the SPL. If Hamilton come up they could almost guarantee every game being played on their surface but they will make them dig it up!! complete madness!

16 team league with 2 up, 2 down & 3rd bottom/3rd top play off.

I like the sound of that.

Good incentives for 1st division teams as well.

Cyprus Jambo

As well as this I think to encourage teams to look at their resources and to encourage more Scottish players the SFA/SPL should have a mandate that 5 players must be Scottish and of the squad of 18 (11 players, 7 subs) 3 to 5 must be under 21.

Thig Ar Latha
As well as this I think to encourage teams to look at their resources and to encourage more Scottish players the SFA/SPL should have a mandate that 5 players must be Scottish and of the squad of 18 (11 players, 7 subs) 3 to 5 must be under 21.

I think the usual ruling is that they must be home reared, ie come through the youths' reserves etc, and not nessecarily Scottish.

I'd still prefer an 18 team league because 30 games is not enough. It means you'd lose four matches from your season ticket and no doubt clubs would still charge the same.

A 16 team league would be too few teams IMO. Some of the lower clubs would be severely hampered financially by the lose of 4 home games a season.

For me I'd like to see an 18 team league. Now I know many people have stated that we won't have enough big clubs to make this work but you would hardly consider ICT to be a big club, would you?

I disagree with Yogi in that I really don't see why stadia should be an issue when it's perfectly fine for Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs etc to go and play in these stadiums in cup games but it's not good enough for league action. Someone will have to explain that one to me because I just don't get it. If there are certain criteria which some teams don't fit then give them some time with SPL money to adjust, like 3-5 years to get themselves up to speed. Then if they fail, fine or relegate them.

We certainly need to change the league from what it is now because, quite frankly, this is pish.

would a 16 team league result in better football ?

possibly ?

for a start there would be less fixture pile ups.

cup competitions wouldn't be a nuisance to fit in if there were problems.

would the cup competitions gain more prestige ?(less league games, more importance placed on knockout cup games ?)

would better prepared teams result in better football ?

every game is a one off - would it make teams realise they get one chance a season to beat the Old Firm at home etc... ?

just some thoughts.

maroonedinoz

Having been around when in fact the league DID have18 teams, I can vouch for the fact that the one thing it DID allow managers to do, was to 'blood' young players, by giving them a couple of games against 'lesser' opposition, droping them to the bench, then bringing them back.

Of course it could be argued that this could still be done these days, but the pressure on managers is such that EVERY game is almost like a 'cup final' where teh emphasis is on not getting beaten, and I believe over the years this is why the skill factor has dropped, while the emphasis on the 'combatitive, physical' side of the game has grown.

These days youn gplayers seem to be 'pitchforked' into games as a manager's 'last resort' as opposed to being 'blooded'

We produce very few Kenny Dalglish's these days, but do produce lots of players who may be capapble of running all day, but offering precious little else.

I think a 16 team league is the best compromise

I too would like to see a 16 team league with each team playing each other twice, it would make each game more exciting and we have the clubs to do it.

However, money is such a big part of the game and not even Rangers and Celtic, never mind the rest of the SPL, would agree to reducing the amount of fixture due to the money that would be lost in ticket prices, advertising, hospitality, tv revenue, etc.

Marmeladent?rtchen

Controversial post:

Personally I?m not adverse to the split!!! :eek: I think the split gives teams something to play for, with the duopoly of the old firm. People say the team in 7th has nothing to play for, but this can be said for most mid table teams in any league at this time of the year. (I accept the fact if there was no split the 7th team could challenge for one or more places up the league rather then being stuck there.)

I personally don?t think having 4 extra teams worse then Gretna would improve the league? They would get demolished by the old firm and IMO just make the OF stronger as they would have less chance for Hearts, Hibs, and Motherwell etc taking points from them here and there.

Would anyone consider instead of introducing 4 diddy teams at the bottom, just getting rid of the 2 big team at the top.?? :rolleyes:

WestCoastJambo2

I personally think that 16 teams is the perfect situation for the top flight in scotland just now as due to recent success of the national team, we are now in a reasonable position to challenge the likes of portugal and greece who also have top flight leagues of 16. Even Belgium has 16 team top flight and they are positively dreadful at the moment.

I feel that a 16 team league would be perfect. It would mean that the league cup could then be played at the weekend rather than midweek which would then hopefully raise the profile of the competition and the attendances. Your bound to have more people willing to go to these games if their played on a saturday rather than a tuesday or wednesday night.

Dr Ian Malcolm

Playing the 30 league games a season would allow for a winter break - for example no games in January (have the last fixture before the split the traditional new year derbies for all clubs). This would allow teams to concentratre on their Janaury tansfer dealings and fans wouldn't have to fork out more money to go to games so soon after christmas. It would also put teams with players away for the African Nations (only really Kingston from the SPL just now but that could change) at less of a disadvantage. Resume the league again in Februaury.

On another note, just to highlight the complete aversion to common sense the SPL have, Hamilton were told that they could keep their plastic pitch as long as they ripped it up to put in undersoil heating! Needless to say they're reverting to a grass pitch once the hetaing is installed.

hearts_crazy

The split is the most ludicrous thing ever shat upon football. I think the SPL needs a major rethink, firstly scrap the split, that's a no-brainer (like the folk who invented it n the first place), then make it 16 teams, one automatic relegation, winners of the 1st Division come up , 2nd place have a 2 leg play off with 15th placed team in the SPL. Winners and runners up get the CL spots, 3rd place gets Uefa and 4th gets Uefa if one of the finalists in the SC also finishes 1st - 3rd in the league.

Oh, and the gruesome twosome feck off to Ireland to destroy their league and allow ours to flourish - no really, they are a feckin cancer on Scottish football and don't let those sycophantic erseholes in the media convince you otherwise.

Archived