United Arab Emirates

Dayman

What is the standard of football like in the UAE? any of the members here been to any games/ live there? with the european leagues u can check where they are ranked but cant find anything for the UAE?

What is the standard of football like in the UAE? any of the members here been to any games/ live there? with the european leagues u can check where they are ranked but cant find anything for the UAE?

Currently ranked 14th in Asia, according to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_Football_Confederation#National_League_.28by_IFFHS.29

Australia ranked below Singapore and Uzbekistan...and yet we sent John Sutton away on loan there in the hope that he might improve...

And Scotland are below Australia in the FIFA rankings.

portobellojambo1

Currently ranked 14th in Asia, according to this: http://en.wikipedia...._.28by_IFFHS.29

Australia ranked below Singapore and Uzbekistan...and yet we sent John Sutton away on loan there in the hope that he might improve...

I must be looking at different figures from you two on that page.

The information I am looking at shows Australia ranked as number 1 in the Asian rankings, and 22nd in the FIFA rankings with UAE as 19th in the Asian rankings and 132nd in FIFA's rankings.

The standard of club football has not been that great in the past, but is improving with all of the clubs in the top flight now professional.

There is a cap on foreign players so the bigger clubs throw money at expensive imports. Examples include Cannavaro at Al Ahli, Oliviera, Delgado and Lucas Neil at Al Jazira and Gyan at Al Ain. Coaches only ever last a matter of months before they get fired, probably due to unrealistic expectations or upsetting the wrong people.

The clubs struggle to get decent crowds in as the supporter base has traditionally been 99% Emirati males, and the local population is pretty small. Al Jazira are miles ahead of the rest of the clubs as they are run by the same Sheikh that owns Manchester City and spent a fortune while fireworks Phil was CEO (crossbar challenges, pre-match concerts, giving away Ferarris, free entry), but they did get crowds up from 5k to around 28k before he got the boot.

The National team have never really been upto much, again very small population, but the current u23's look promising.

Oh, and Al Wahda, the 'establishment' team here in the capital Abu Dhabi play in maroon and have a great local derby record :-)

The standard of club football has not been that great in the past, but is improving with all of the clubs in the top flight now professional.

There is a cap on foreign players so the bigger clubs throw money at expensive imports. Examples include Cannavaro at Al Ahli, Oliviera, Delgado and Lucas Neil at Al Jazira and Gyan at Al Ain. Coaches only ever last a matter of months before they get fired, probably due to unrealistic expectations or upsetting the wrong people.

The clubs struggle to get decent crowds in as the supporter base has traditionally been 99% Emirati males, and the local population is pretty small. Al Jazira are miles ahead of the rest of the clubs as they are run by the same Sheikh that owns Manchester City and spent a fortune while fireworks Phil was CEO (crossbar challenges, pre-match concerts, giving away Ferarris, free entry), but they did get crowds up from 5k to around 28k before he got the boot.

The National team have never really been upto much, again very small population, but the current u23's look promising.

Oh, and Al Wahda, the 'establishment' team here in the capital Abu Dhabi play in maroon and have a great local derby record :-)

The Middle East in general has plenty of money to tempt foreign imports however the local talent is poor, despite bringing in coaches from Holland/Germany to coach the youth.

Tas #2 son trains with a local club when he is out here for the summer. The local youth get paid (quite substantially) to train/play by the government once a coach signs then to a club. Generally any local participating in sport gets paid by the government due to the high obesity/diabetes level in kids.

Very poor standard, my son at 15 was of a higher level than most 18s. But as most of the local youth came from wealthy families it was difficult to get them to train with enthusiasm. Also they have to train late into the night due to heat/humidity - my son usually did not get back until after midnight. His comment to me after his first game (as a trialist) was "they're not very good, dad" - he scored 8 goals.

The Middle East in general has plenty of money to tempt foreign imports however the local talent is poor, despite bringing in coaches from Holland/Germany to coach the youth.

Tas #2 son trains with a local club when he is out here for the summer. The local youth get paid (quite substantially) to train/play by the government once a coach signs then to a club. Generally any local participating in sport gets paid by the government due to the high obesity/diabetes level in kids.

Very poor standard, my son at 15 was of a higher level than most 18s. But as most of the local youth came from wealthy families it was difficult to get them to train with enthusiasm. Also they have to train late into the night due to heat/humidity - my son usually did not get back until after midnight. His comment to me after his first game (as a trialist) was "they're not very good, dad" - he scored 8 goals.

Agreed, the cultural dynamics that impact effort levels are probably the biggest factor holding them back (and not just at football ;-)

At least the late night training gives one something to do rather than driving your matt orange lamborghini around a mall car park...

Archived